Page / 39
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:
Is $38.50 too much for new NATO Jerry cans?

No, not for a quality can.  

I paid $30 for mine from Deutsche Optik 3 years ago, and now they are up to $50.

Do these seem to be the real deal? They're marked "not for fuel use" supposedly because of EPA regs.

http://i.imgur.com/Rx8Vx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eQ8f9.jpg

Those are good to go. They are the best  "current" can you can get right now, short of finding some USGI Nato cans.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BulletcatchR:
Snaped a pic of the first batch of finished cans before a trip to the gas station, it's gonna hurt$$$.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/bulletcatchr/mfc%20rehab/IMG_3940r.jpg

The old plastic TeePee cans took the bedliner real well after a quick sandblasting to remove the 'sun degraded' powder layer.

C361
Stan

The cans look really good.
How does your mix of spray bedliner and paint hold up against spilled gas or diesel?
It would suck to go thru all of that work just to have it soften and rub off first time a little gas dribbles down the side.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 12:28:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti] [#4]
I wanted to get four (4) 5 gallon cans as part of my disaster preparedness gear. I'm going to leave the 4 cans (without gas in them) in my truck (Tundra) in the event I have to bug out. From what I read, these are the cans to get? If I buy these cans, what else will I need to get with them, e.g., this, this for them to work?

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged and thanks for all the info!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Built a DIY spout with some pvc/poly fittings from grainger. I used a small enough braided  PVC hose  to fit into the filler neck though. I think it will be slow.

How are people using donkey dicks with their gas vehicles? There's no way they would fit into anything other than a bed tank.

There is a pic posted on page one of this thread of a home made spout.  That spout in the pic will fit Scepter MFC, USGI/Blitz, and even a 55 gallon drum.  That spout is not slow, but the person doing the fueling must hold the fuel can.  Now the owner of that spout has not yet found a desire to hold up a 55 gallon drum of fuel to top off a 12 gallon car.  

To modify a donkey dick for use with an unleaded gas tank car; get a plumbing fitting that fits over the end of the donkey dick and necks down to fit into the gas filler of your car.  i remember seeing a pic of a modified donkey dick, but cannot remember which forum I saw the pic posted on

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I do not remember the tubing diameter.  That was a long time ago.  I do remember that the spout would pour as fast as the published speed of a Scepter brand spout.

Looking at your pic...I think yours will do well.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 2:17:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I found that I had posted instructions on page 2

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/643480_FUEL_CAN_ORACLE.html&page=2#i10974193

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 8:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Originally Posted By PA22-400:

I found that I had posted instructions on page 2

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/643480_FUEL_CAN_ORACLE.html&page=2#i10974193

Looks like we pretty much made the same thing.

Except mine leaks where it threads into the can

Back to the drawing board.

You can wrap the threads of the spout with teflon tape

OR

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey PA22-400, do you happen know what parts I would need for the Red Plastic Blitz cans to make similar to what you made for the MFC? I'm in good shape for all of my steel Jerry cans, but want to replace those goofy spouts on the 5 red plastic cans that I have, I looked into the ez––pour brand spouts, but they seem to be gouging prices a bit. Thought I could do better myself. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By SR712:

Hey PA22-400, do you happen know what parts I would need for the Red Plastic Blitz cans to make similar to what you made for the MFC? I'm in good shape for all of my steel Jerry cans, but want to replace those goofy spouts on the 5 red plastic cans that I have, I looked into the ez––pour brand spouts, but they seem to be gouging prices a bit. Thought I could do better myself. Thanks.

Short Answer: No...Sorry

Longer answer:  I f I need to fuel a vehicle I like the super siphon best now.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:

Well, after a long search, I finally found a good source for QUALITY NATO cans for my shop!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/92ACFEAD-2887-4C31-9847-D7AED4A7720F-4556-000005D66CEE3AA6.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/48AA789B-F1C0-48FB-AF25-58F49D77FE0E-4556-000005D6756FD10D.jpg

Made in Italy, these seem to be real nice. Not like the last ones that were a fiasco.

Those are....Shiny

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:39:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Garand_Shooter] [#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Garand_Shooter do these folks offer 5 liter or 10 liter?

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Oldgrouch are these new cans for $49?  Do you make a deal of we order more than 2?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By zippymbr:
Oldgrouch are these new cans for $49?  Do you make a deal of we order more than 2?

They are new. Once I get a better stock I hope to be able to discount cases of 4 a little bit.

Tag for my next trip to NC
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Scepter cans ––- broken flanges in your caps.  

I get a lot of emails about this subject.

The most likely cause is using rubber seals with additives which causes the seals to swell and crack the weak little flange. See the first page of the oracle for an example of this.

So you have broken your flanges, what do you do?

I can only suggest that you take out the flange completely and replace the Viton seal with a SOLID viton disc that seals the entire cap.

hope this helps, because I type this reply about 10 times per week in emails.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By vatopa:

The most likely cause is using rubber seals with additives which causes the seals to swell and crack the weak little flange. See the first page of the oracle for an example of this.

I can only suggest that you take out the flange completely and replace the Viton seal with a SOLID viton disc that seals the entire cap.

http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?cPath=16_55

This company cannot ship the MFCs outside of Canada, but they will ship accessories.  I got my pour spout from them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone know if the grey lining of the large mouth nato water cans will stand up to diesel?  I ask as I got 8 of the water cans when Deutshe optik had them thinking they were oil cans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 I got replacement parts and spares from them.. and pour spout

Originally Posted By kdalton:
Originally Posted By vatopa:

http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?cPath=16_55

This company cannot ship the MFCs outside of Canada, but they will ship accessories.  I got my pour spout from them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#33]
+1, got my accessories from there without problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 5:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bantis] [#34]
I'm still learning about fuel cans so I apologize.

What is the difference between the DO fuel cans and the ones on Old Grouch? Besides price.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#35]
It's insane to me that we can't get a decent new gas can in this country that can poor fuel easily .  We need to by-pass the crappy CARB compliant nozzles by using siphons just to simply get fuel from one place to another in an efficient manner.   Fuel cans like so many other things have been regulated into uselessness.  And we can't even get the containers the US Military uses without paying an arm and leg on ebay or going to Canada.  I'd bet the next regulations makes it so futre fuel cans will be single use trade-ins with non-removalbe nozzles.

I picked up 2 of the Scepter Jerry cans with the CRAP compliant nozzle today and a siphon.  They were only $18 and look like the jerry cans, but with only one handle.  They look decent enough except for the nozzle which I will turn inside out for storage and poor with a siphon.   I can't understand why Scepter doesn't put out the 3 handled fuel cans with the CARB nozzles.  I bet they'd make money hand over fist with those things.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 2:19:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#36]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By bantis:

What is the difference between the DO fuel cans and the ones on Old Grouch? Besides price.

If you haven't got an answer yet, I'll give you my swinging wild researched guess.  

Disclaimer:  I have no relation to Old Grouch other than a PM he promptly answered a couple weeks ago...PM was not about fuel cans.

Disclaimer:  I have no relation to DO

Old Grouch says his cans are made by the people that make cans for about 3 of the European NATO armys.  Old Grouch stays in business by selling good quality...Just my observation...Grouch consistently gets very good feedback from members here.

DO also sells good stuff and has gotten good ratings by members here.

SOooo I bet that if you NATO spec tested both cans to the military spec they would pass....which translated that these are just about the best 5 gallon cans you will be able to buy.  I do not think that NASA has bought any jerry cans made of a rareidium/expensiveium alloy.

NOW here is the difference.  The DO can has NOT FOR FUEL USE stamped into the metal on each side of the can.  This would have no real influence on what the can is really able to do, but the stamped words may cause you some problems.  The minimum wager at the gas pump may refuse to sell fuel into a can that says that (hey don't hate, they are threatened with 10,000 dollar fines if the sell tobacco to a kid under 18 here).  The second place that the stamp on the DO can may cause trouble for you is with your home insurance.
I've said a lot, but to sum up:  If I were going to order now I would order from Old Grouch to avoid the stamp.  

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By bantis:

If you haven't got an answer yet, I'll give you my swinging wild researched guess.  

Disclaimer:  I have no relation to Old Grouch other than a PM he promptly answered a couple weeks ago...PM was not about fuel cans.

Disclaimer:  I have no relation to DO

Old Grouch says his cans are made by the people that make cans for about 3 of the European NATO armys.  Old Grouch stays in business by selling good quality...Just my observation...Grouch consistently gets very good feedback from members here.

DO also sells good stuff and has gotten good ratings by members here.

SOooo I bet that if you NATO spec tested both cans to the military spec they would pass....which translated that these are just about the best 5 gallon cans you will be able to buy.  I do not think that NASA has bought any jerry cans made of a rareidium/expensiveium alloy.

NOW here is the difference.  The DO can has NOT FOR FUEL USE stamped into the metal on each side of the can.  This would have no real influence on what the can is really able to do, but the stamped words may cause you some problems.  The minimum wager at the gas pump may refuse to sell fuel into a can that says that (hey don't hate, they are threatened with 10,000 dollar fines if the sell tobacco to a kid under 18 here).  The second place that the stamp on the DO can may cause trouble for you is with your home insurance.

I've said a lot, but to sum up:  If I were going to order now I would order from Old Grouch to avoid the stamp.  

Hope this helps

Thank you. That helps a lot. Looks like I'll be ordering from Grouch in the near future.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Also check with Eric Riston at Atlantic British.  They have Nato cans that are not stamped...  They have  a removable sticker that says "NON-POTABLE WATER ONLY."

I received ten cans, two spouts and ten replacement gaskets for $493.44 shipped to Florida.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Just recieved three boxes of fun from Atlantic British!  $423 shipped to NC.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Having not ordered from either AB or DO myself, I can't say how my cans compare.

But I can say if for any reason you are not happy with our cans I will pay the return shipping and give a 100% refund.

Heck of a guarantee!

Any idea when the deal for the free nozzle with the purchase of 4 cans will happen?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Added  4 to cart from Atlantic British.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By AWMCoalition:

pay the fifty cents extra and get the Atlantic British and don't be worried about the quality issue They are great.

I'll vouch for them too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#46]
So I am going to ask a really dumb question.......

I have the Atlantic British jerry cans and they are awesome. If I was to travel 500+ miles over the course of a few days, what would the rule of thumb be for bringing a can or 2 full of gas with me in the truck? I would ideally like to have them filled as a just in case but I dont have any kind of mount on the outside of my suv; therefore they would stay mounted in the cargo area. Other than having the fumes in the truck what are the risks, rules, regulations,etc on this? I apologize for this is a dumb question and this seemed the best place to post it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 1:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA22-400] [#47]
Your question is not dumb

Originally Posted By jrs13086:

So I am going to ask a really dumb question.......
I have the Atlantic British jerry cans and they are awesome. If I was to travel 500+ miles over the course of a few days, what would the rule of thumb be for bringing a can or 2 full of gas with me in the truck? I would ideally like to have them filled as a just in case but I dont have any kind of mount on the outside of my suv; therefore they would stay mounted in the cargo area. Other than having the fumes in the truck what are the risks, rules, regulations,etc on this? I apologize for this is a dumb question and this seemed the best place to post it.
sending PM

ETA

Gas vapor in a car is bad MmmK

Do not stash gas in your car in cans that vent

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#48]
What are the screws provided with the DO jerry can's nozzle used for? I just agreed to buy four from a local arfcommer on the ee but I cannot figure out how the nozzle works based on the DO website. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Powerkicker:

What are the screws provided with the DO jerry can's nozzle used for? I just agreed to buy four from a local arfcommer on the ee but I cannot figure out how the nozzle works based on the DO website. Thanks.

It may be for a mount to stow the nozzle while in transit.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By Powerkicker:

It may be for a mount to stow the nozzle while in transit.

^ this

What can't you figure out, how the nozzle attaches to the storage mount, or how to attach the nozzle to the can for use?
Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 11 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top