Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 9 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered four cans from BA myself. Good info on this thread. The only down side is the shipping cost. I could've bought another can for what I paid in shipping!
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TriggerPete:
Does anybody here know if the blue cans from British Atlantic are for kerosene?  They are advertised, just like the green ones for non-potable water and cost $5. more so I would assume that they are for kerosene.  B.A. is sticking to there guns and saying these are a "lined water can".
Thanks

They told me last week they are large mouth light aqua-blue colored potable water cans even though the photo shows a small mouth dark blue can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:06:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWMCoalition] [#3]
Bought a 10 L and nozzle  from AB a month ago when I found this thread.  Very nice and came with a 10% off next order coupon .  I then saw someone posted about there sale. I received four five gallon cans on Tuesday, ordered. On Saturday.  The. Web page said I could not use the coupon with sale items,  but it gave me the discount at checkout.   Shipping ended up being half of what was quoted.  Total shipped for 4 cans came out to 150 or $37.50 each.  Great cans, made in GB, little red sticker was easily removed, insides are perfect.  Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
First and foremost, thanks to all in this thread. I've picked up a lot of very useful information. Which in turn, my pocketbook has had to pay for (pun intended).  With that said I went on a little Scepter shopping spree. And done so with no regrets. Four for fuel and four for water.  Even made a couple back up nozzels. Thanks again!

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 1:02:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SightsOnTarget] [#5]
nice plate

ETA: Which colors are you using for water... and

How do you like those cans for water?  I want to upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By ZombieKiller25:
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Grouch%20Jerry%20Cans/?action=view¤t=JerryCan.mp4" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Grouch%20Jerry%20Cans/th_JerryCan.jpg</a>

I'll stick with the BA or DO cans....

It may just be a bad gasket on the one can... I'll have to look at it further.

Let me know if you need another gasket or want to swap it for another one.

Did this ever get sorted out?  Bad gasket or something else?  It strikes me as more than a coincidence that BA and DO have similar cans for sale; are they all the same cans?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SightsOnTarget:
nice plate

ETA: Which colors are you using for water... and

How do you like those cans for water?  I want to upgrade.

I like the water cans a lot. Almost as much as I like the fuel cans. I'm a creature of habit and like to stick with things that I know work. Used them often (both fuel & water cans) in the military, so when it came down to buying, it was a no brainer on what to go with…….. for me anyway.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a cool Pdf of the WWII  production of "Blitz Cans" in the US at the Monarch Beaver Dam Wisconsin plant:
http://www.monarchrange.com/History/WWIIEffort.pdf
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:
Here is a cool Pdf of the WWII  production of "Blitz Cans" in the US at the Monarch Beaver Dam Wisconsin plant:
http://www.monarchrange.com/History/WWIIEffort.pdf

Thanks for the great pix!!!

When I was very young, my father had 2 of those cans and if IRC they were a heavier gauge sheet than the Blitz cans I've purchased.

I was very curious abt them and sort of studyed how the cap went on, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:54:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spoil9] [#11]
Has anyone purchased these new CARB fuel cans from Scepter?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200473764_200473764?cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Google-_-Fuel%20Transfer%20+%20Lubrication%3EFuel%20Cans-_-19708

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 6:18:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scout_19Delta] [#14]
Originally Posted By spoil9:

Haven't seen one in person yet, but for 20 bucks, why not? Can't be too bad, they're on back order.
Northern Tool

Sorry. Can't spell today.....
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#15]
And update on those new cans I got- they are all going back.

Turns out the lining inside- yeah, it dissolved in gas. No clue what idiot on the production line thought that was a good idea.

I know a couple of you got some from me, contact me for a refund.

Crap, I was hoping it would work out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zippymbr:
And update on those new cans I got- they are all going back.

Turns out the lining inside- yeah, it dissolved in gas. No clue what idiot on the production line thought that was a good idea.

I know a couple of you got some from me, contact me for a refund.

Crap, I was hoping it would work out.

Me too.

But I am damm glad I did play it safe and left just a few people test them before we sold a bunch of them to folks.

I totally appreciate your hard work

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#18]
Originally Posted By Scout_19Delta:

Haven't seen one in person yet, but for 20 bucks, why not? Can't be too bad, they're on back order.
Northern Tool

Pep Boys sells those Scepter cans for about $14.99/ea.

I picked up a couple of them.
They are stronger (thicker) than normal plastic gas cans.
But only about 1/2 or 2/3 the thickness of the Scepter MFC, therefore they tend to swell more with the heat.

Good news is, the cap stays tight and they don't leak, so far.
I have quite a few non-carb nozzles from old blitz and scepter gas cans laying around they fit on these,
so no need to use the CARB nozzle.

Stored next to their Big Brother Scepters:

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

Northern Tool

Pep Boys sells those Scepter cans for about $14.99/ea.

I picked up a couple of them.
They are stronger (thicker) than normal plastic gas cans.
But only about 1/2 or 2/3 the thickness of the Scepter MFC, therefore they tend to swell more with the heat.

Good news is, the cap stays tight and they don't leak, so far.
I have quite a few non-carb nozzles from old blitz and scepter gas cans laying around they fit on these,
so no need to use the CARB nozzle.

Stored next to their Big Brother Scepters:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/594/fuelcans.jpg

Thanks for the update. I'll swing by my local auto parts stores and see if they have any.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]
it tried my docky dick on my MFC scepter cans last night for a test run and the SOB wouldnt seal.

the DD i believe was a cheap re-pro on got on ebay and doesnt fit tight even after pushing the lever down.

trying to find the screw on nozzels now
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Call AB x233, free shipping on orders this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By brazos609:
Call AB x233, free shipping on orders this weekend.

Do you mean British Atlantic?
Orders over $250 only  
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#23]
i just got 4 of my fuel cans from british atlantic today. they look great. nice new, shiny, heavy guage steel cans. i love these things. i cant wait to buy some more.  makes me hate the cheap assed walmart gas cans soooo much more.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:56:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: safe1] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]
they look exactly like my cans. i bet they are made by the same people.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

But some of them have the fuel warning stamped in the metal and others only have a sticker.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got my two cans from British Atlantic.
Cans are brand new with a small red sticker that says for non-potable water. The sticker is easy to peel off.
I just called to order some more and they are out of stock until May 10 or so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Kind of a light brown-orange color. Even coating with no "fuzzies" at the seams.

Upon first opening the can, there was a very strong paint odor.

Gasoline had no effect on the paint. They are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Here's my comparison between DO and BA cans for those who might have missed it.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/655316_British_Atlantic_vs__Deutsch_optic_fuel_cans__lot__o_pics_.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have an update on the BA cans, thought I had heard they were supposed to be back in stock soon
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone seen these Swedish 5L cans?

I hope they are nice, I have a few hundred headed in.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/swedecan.jpg

Kind of an odd duck isn't it. But if I was a bettin' man I'd wager you will sell them all. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By goodasgone81:
Anyone have an update on the BA cans, thought I had heard they were supposed to be back in stock soon

The must have received their next shipment because I got tracking numbers today for the dozen I ordered.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I also received tracking info, and it's saying fed-ex will deliver tomorrow but I have my doubts
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#38]

First and foremost, thanks to all in this thread. I've picked up a lot of very useful information. Which in turn, my pocketbook has had to pay for (pun intended).  With that said I went on a little Scepter shopping spree. And done so with no regrets. Four for fuel and four for water.  Even made a couple back up nozzels. Thanks again!

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/Scout_19D/gascan1.jpg

What did you make the backup nozzles  out of?

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By zlman:

Kind of an odd duck isn't it. But if I was a bettin' man I'd wager you will sell them all. Good luck!

Got the first load in- I am pretty impressed with these!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/can.jpg

Interesting design, personally have zero use for a 5l can.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#41]
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200473764_200473764?cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Google-_-Fuel%20Transfer%20+%20Lubrication%3EFuel%20Cans-_-19708

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/19708_lg.jpg?01AD=3k5PEG0KIKhOKPzl96GDZyoSbRWTs8pundsUMI_HznsMc99z_fxTTAQ&01RI=DA611BE59B9468C&01NA=na

Finally went to my local Pep Boys and bought one yesterday. Seems to be pretty solid plastic. Didn't take measurements but the base is slightly wider than the top is and although it says it's only 5.3 gal, I filled mine with 5.5 gal and still had a little room left over.
Not crazy about the included spout but I haven't actually tried using it yet. Storing it in a shaded part of my garage for a week and I'll see how the temps effect the container. This coming weekend I'll pour the gas into my car and see how easy it is to do so but so far I'm pleased with this purchase.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Got the first load in- I am pretty impressed with these!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/can.jpg

Interesting design, personally have zero use for a 5l can.

I keep gallon containers of Coleman lantern fuel outside in a ventilated fuel shed. They've been there for a little over 1 1/2 years and even though the cans are covered there's quite a bit of rust forming on the outside of the cans. I can envision them being a pile of rust in a few more years.

I think these swedish cans will be ideal for keeping the lantern fuel in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:57:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Garand_Shooter] [#43]
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CTRob65:

I keep gallon containers of Coleman lantern fuel outside in a ventilated fuel shed. They've been there for a little over 1 1/2 years and even though the cans are covered there's quite a bit of rust forming on the outside of the cans. I can envision them being a pile of rust in a few more years.

I think these swedish cans will be ideal for keeping the lantern fuel in.

One of my employees restores and rebuilds old Coleman lanterns, and he took 3 home for just that use.

ETA,
they are up on the website now.

Any idea when you'll get more 20L gas cans in stock?  In need of a couple for my jeep!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Great thread, Fordguy and others! Thank you for taking the time-this was long overdue I think

I think we also thank Feral for approving it, he could have easily said "no thanks."  So thank you Feral.  

this

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

I'd also like to know what parts you used to make the nozzles.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By AL25:

Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

I'd also like to know what parts you used to make the nozzles.

I posted a pic on page one of this thread of a nozzle I put together.

The internal threads of the USGI jerry can and the Scepter MCF jerry can and the standard 55 gallon drum are all....2 inch NPT thread

I really hope you guys can see a pattern here:  The 55 gallon drum was in service when the US military adopted the jerry can, so our US jerry can was made to be compatible with our stuff.  Remember that in 1941 we were not making strenuous efforts to get along with the Germans.  Then in the early 1990s when the Scepter MFC jerry can was adopted by the US military...the top needed to be compatible with the equipment that was already in service, so 2 inch NPT thread oh hai

The opening where you fill the fuel tank of your unleaded gasoline powered BOV is 3/4 inch.  5/8 inch tubing is 3/4 inch outside diameter.

So what is needed is 2 inch NPT thread on one end and 5/8 inch hose on the other.

No problem...only cost about $10 when I did the project in 2009

A parts list could go something like this:

some 5/8 inch hose...get as much as you need...I made one set up over 6 feet long for draining cans from the roof of the Suburban into the fuel tank.

5/8 hose to NPT thread nipple...the thread size is not very critical 5/8, or 3/4 or 1 inch...whatever

Threaded bushing to 2 inch NPT

IIRC mine was 2" to 1" bushing then 1" to 5/8 bushing then 5/8 threat to 5/8 tubing nipple then 5/8 poly hose.  I know I ended up with the arrangement I had because of the parts in stock at the store that day.  You might be able to just use one bushing and the nipple if you can get the right sizes.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 7:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Surf] [#49]
Solution:

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#50]

This set-up is cool and all but I pitty you when its time to refuel that tank. You've got to fill the 5 gal cans and then transfer them into this main tank. I"ll just store in the 5 gal cans and cut the middle step out.
Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 9 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top