Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

So the stupid bastards have absolutely nothing on hand to stop an attack by an animal clearly capable of killing some small meat sack like us? Ahhh, they probably can't fathom their little pet darling needing to be stopped. I would think even a good sized knife would be enough to get that thing to break off long enough to get out.

Maybe not but that was rough to watch.

This is why I like Gatorland.  They keep a scoped rifle handy during the shows.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for home

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
That whale knew exactly what it was doing.  Cat and mouse.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
FISH SOUP!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Maybe its just me, but perhaps putting on solid black wetsuits makes them look a bit too much like seals, the killer whale's natural prey...

Not 100% correct.

Only certain pods of killer whales eat seals.

Many eat only fish.

This whale came from a fish eating pod.

ETA:: i'm referring to the whale that killed the woman, apparently this vid is of a different whale attack.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
EDIT: staying out of this

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
shoot the motherfucker

Stoopid Liberals needed a "non-leathal" weapon to use as an emergency distraction on station by pool/tank that is easily & quickly obtained ,that would put the fear of G-d into the beast pronto as a distraction .
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure that's the attack.  Its clearly an attack, but maybe not this one.

This vid is supposedly right before it happened.

Tank looks different in the live leak vid, as do the suits  including the suit of the girl in the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJ850CIE8A&feature=player_embedded

It's not - fakery is afoot IMHO - the video appears to be the same featured in this earlier video posted on youtube last June http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Af67qv5Dzg

My $0.02 is that if you're going to be dumb enough to put an animal that large and potentially aggressive in a closed environment and force it to perform, you'd better expect these types of results on occasion.  And you'd better be prepared to down the animal quickly if it decides to attack.  To be totally unprepared when big beastie goes apeshit is gross negligence.  Some might say the whole idea is gross negligence from the get-go *shrug*  Some of the articles I've read on this latest attack state that this female trainer was laying down on the flat wet area they have the whales come up on and shaking her ponytail at him... probably simply a matter of his prey drive kicking in.  Play stupid games.....

I disagree, I think it's ridiculous to put the animal down. It's a fucking 12,000 pound Orca. He wins, period. They know this before hand, it's not a big surprise the largest predator in the ocean, with no natural enemies, can kill a person...

No no no, you misunderstand... I'm not FOR putting big beastie in a closed environment to begin with.  I think it's terribly stupid - and this is exactly what they should expect.  The part that irritates me the most, however, is that knowing full well their trainers can be potentially killed by said beastie, they take zero precautions.  Because, you know, big beastie is our friend.  He'd never hurt us, right?

I'm not for putting the animal down.  I'm not for penning him up to begin with.  However, if you're dumb enough to do that to turn a profit, then you should damned well be prepared to gut Shamu in front of the general public to protect your "trainers".  I wouldn't be happy with that outcome either, but at least it would show me that Seaworld had half a brain and knew that killer whales are...well....killers.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
She died doing what she loved.

Oh wait a minute....

I would have found a new hobby if I thought that was going to happen.....

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c5_1235282814

Thank god these things don't have thumbs.

That video is hysterical.... I love how the feel good music keeps playing while the bird is ripped to bloody shreds that then float to the surface

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So the stupid bastards have absolutely nothing on hand to stop an attack by an animal clearly capable of killing some small meat sack like us?  Ahhh, they probably can't fathom their little pet darling needing to be stopped.  I would think even a good sized knife would be enough to get that thing to break off long enough to get out.  

Are you high?

A 7 ton whale with teeth, that moves as fast as a dolphin, and your going to stab it?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Dedicate an old S-3B Viking to fly "cover" for every show.  Load it with torpedos with no warhead.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So the stupid bastards have absolutely nothing on hand to stop an attack by an animal clearly capable of killing some small meat sack like us?  Ahhh, they probably can't fathom their little pet darling needing to be stopped.  I would think even a good sized knife would be enough to get that thing to break off long enough to get out.  

Are you high?

A 7 ton whale with teeth, that moves as fast as a dolphin, and your going to stab it?

gonna need a bigger knife.......
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah....I'm going to hell.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tank looks different in the live leak vid, as do the suits  including the suit of the girl in the water.

It's not - fakery is afoot IMHO - the video appears to be the same featured in this earlier video posted on youtube last June http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Af67qv5Dzg

My $0.02 is that if you're going to be dumb enough to put an animal that large and potentially aggressive in a closed environment and force it to perform, you'd better expect these types of results on occasion.  And you'd better be prepared to down the animal quickly if it decides to attack.  To be totally unprepared when big beastie goes apeshit is gross negligence.  Some might say the whole idea is gross negligence from the get-go *shrug*  Some of the articles I've read on this latest attack state that this female trainer was laying down on the flat wet area they have the whales come up on and shaking her ponytail at him... probably simply a matter of his prey drive kicking in.  Play stupid games.....

I disagree, I think it's ridiculous to put the animal down. It's a fucking 12,000 pound Orca. He wins, period. They know this before hand, it's not a big surprise the largest predator in the ocean, with no natural enemies, can kill a person...

No no no, you misunderstand... I'm not FOR putting big beastie in a closed environment to begin with.  I think it's terribly stupid - and this is exactly what they should expect.  The part that irritates me the most, however, is that knowing full well their trainers can be potentially killed by said beastie, they take zero precautions.  Because, you know, big beastie is our friend.  He'd never hurt us, right?

I'm not for putting the animal down.  I'm not for penning him up to begin with.  However, if you're dumb enough to do that to turn a profit, then you should damned well be prepared to gut Shamu in front of the general public to protect your "trainers".  I wouldn't be happy with that outcome either, but at least it would show me that Seaworld had half a brain and knew that killer whales are...well....killers.  

I submit that there are exponentially more humans on Earth than Orcas, if they insist on penning them up for shows then this might happen. And the animal should not be killed. It's one of those things. The trainer knows this might happen, call it hazardous duty ...

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you high?

gonna need a bigger knife.......

Maybe we have found a use for the WASP injection knife.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn. Fucker hunted her down. Notice that the other "trainers" were worthless.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

shoot the motherfucker

This.

Keeping an elephant gun handy might have been prudent.  Catwalk above tank??

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That isn't the attack on Dawn.

That one was from San Diego? and it was a male trainer that was attacked.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
shoot the motherfucker

The whale probably makes Seaworld more money than the coming lawsuit will cost them. Similair to elephants in India during British Rule.

And I am not being insensitive, just stating the truth and a possible reason for them not having a plan to kill the whale in event of an attack on a trainer.

You have hit the nail on the head!

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe its just me, but perhaps putting on solid black wetsuits makes them look a bit too much like seals, the killer whale's natural prey...

I'll buy that. Surprised nobody has thought of that.

Isn't that also why snorkel divers use clear plastic fins? So sharks that attack from directly below won't mistake them for a seal or walrus?

If you look like food...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't wanna watch the video.

Yes... killer whales play with their prey. They are the "wolves of the sea". Perhaps the people at Sea World should have something like those "shock sticks" that they use on sharks handy for the whale? I dunno how that works, but it would prudent to have something handy to get the whale's attention in such scenarios.

Im thinking something powerful enough to get the Killer Whales attention might be too powerful for a Human in the water with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.
Would someone with a 12 ga. shotgun could have helped?  It's hard to watch them being so helpless.

Only if you wanted to piss it off.

I remember seeing film of eskimos killing whales fairly quickly with an old Lee-Enfield rifle in .303 British.

I'm thinking a slug would do more than piss it off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Sometimes man wins... sometimes nature wins.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I submit that there are exponentially more humans on Earth than Orcas, if they insist on penning them up for shows then this might happen. And the animal should not be killed. It's one of those things. The trainer knows this might happen, call it hazardous duty ...

I dunno man, I think c4 strapped to their backs with remote detonators might make for an exciting climax in the show

I kid! I kid!  Well no not really, that's probably the only way to truly protect the idiots who get in the tank with them.  I'd agree you should probably realize it's hazardous duty by taking that job.  I wouldn't want to swim with that much tonnage of pissed off whale.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
 That's one messed up whale.  It even let the trainer almost get away but then drug them back out.  

Also known as a dumb animal following brute instinct.

Why do people insist on giving animals human qualities?

Good and evil don't exist in the animal world.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Sea World needs a harpoon on stand-by for shit like a Killer Whale going off the deep end...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#28]
This is why I don't play with any animal that has "Killer" before its name, especially when they are several tons heavier than me and have a mouth big enough to swallow a truck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#29]
is sea world stupid? where is the tranq gun? this went on for waaaaayyyy too long.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
is sea world stupid? where is the tranq gun? this went on for waaaaayyyy too long.

I wonder how many pounds of tranquilizers it would take to knock a whale out...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno man, I think c4 strapped to their backs with remote detonators might make for an exciting climax in the show

I kid! I kid!  Well no not really, that's probably the only way to truly protect the idiots who get in the tank with them.  I'd agree you should probably realize it's hazardous duty by taking that job.  I wouldn't want to swim with that much tonnage of pissed off whale.

That would also kill anyone in the water.  A concussion wave moving through water can basically tenderize all your internal organs.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Frankly, that looks... malicious.

(I know, I'm anthropomorphizing. Still... )

It does look that way.  It was absolutely determined to kill her.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Very sad!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#34]
someone  cages me and trains me year over year for big macs I might just
turn on someone to.
who are the caged ones the animals or all the sheeple paying to see them
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#35]
They should have a dive knife attached to their ankle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't screw with Wild animals.

They are just doing what is natural
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That would also kill anyone in the water.  A concussion wave moving through water can basically tenderize all your internal organs.

Small shaped charge - I don't think it would take much to put the whale out of commission - maybe a powder charge equivalent to what they use n a bang stick for sharks.  Small pop, blows up some important bit of Shamu *shrug*  

Not saying they should strap a kilo of stuff to the whale or wrap it in det-cord
 Although......

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how many pounds of tranquilizers it would take to knock a whale out...

who cares? you aren't tranq'ing the whales on a daily basis, having an added measure of security against KILLER WHALES in the event that the wild animal doesnt want to listen might be a smart idea....especially when this has happened before.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Fugged up. You couldn't pay me enough money to get into the same body of water as a fucking killer whale.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sea World needs a harpoon on stand-by for shit like a Killer Whale going off the deep end...

I can see it now-explosive harpoon to the head with whale brains all over the soccer moms who turn to their kids and say "How about lunch,guys?"
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The heroism of the other trainers cannot be overstated.

Do they make tazers for whales?

Screw tasers

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Wow.

I am guessing the killer whale didn't want to be called " Shamu " .

Nah, not jokes for this one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm thinking a M107 .50 is about the only thing that could have saved this chick...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#44]
That is freakin graphic man.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
This might make a good security addition for Sea World

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I am a hunter and long time FL resident. I went to Sea world once in 1985 and it really bothered me to see them penned up. They are extremely intelligent and excellent hunters. They have commited no crime and should not be locked up like this. These trainers know the risk and there by accept this responsibility. i think the only punishment this animal should get is to be set out to sea in its natuaral habitat. that being said to bad some one whith some training was not close by with a good high powered rifle and some specialty ammo. We would have lost a whale but maybe saved a trainer. It amazes me, people will tread into the darkness but not bring a flash light.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
She died doing what she loved.

Oh wait a minute....

So did the guy in the Mr. Hands video...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Nichonator, I heard some commentary that indicated the whale wasn't fit to be released. Had never been in the wild and had some broken teeth, etc.

If they turned it loose and it approached a pod, how would they receive it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
1 dead seal check.
1 hungry whale check.
1 block of c-4 check.
1 blasting cap check.
2 feet of time fuze check.
1 time fuze igniter check.
1 problem solved with one problem whale check.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I think this is the 2004 video of the whale attacking its trainer, I could be wrong
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top