Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll take 2 sixty rounders for half that price.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That is too much weight to add to the rifle. 30 rounds is enough; if you can't get the job done with thirty, you need to work on your marksmanship skills.

You just failed Zombie 101, hard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is too much weight to add to the rifle. 30 rounds is enough; if you can't get the job done with thirty, you need to work on your marksmanship skills.

Didn't Bill Ruger say something like that when he supported the AWB during Clinton's administration? I have never been in an ambush, but I'm not going to tell a soldier who is that he shouldn't have more than 30 rds. in a mag cuz he needs to learn how to shoot better

Holy fuckballs!

Unleash the dogs of ARFCOM!!!!!

If this mag works for someone, by all means, use it. I am not saying that this mag has no use. Redimags, mag couplers, and 9000 round mags all have a use. However, fireteams work in teams. When working in teams, reload speed is far less important than many people will emphasize. Also, reloading should be done from cover; this also reduces the emphasis for speed.

If you are not in a team (or as I like to say, alone) and you get ambushed, you are dead. It does not matter how may rounds you have in your mag, they will shoot you before you have the chance to fire off a single round.

This is why I have put more weight on traditional roles of suppressive fire, and less on the rifleman. The SAW (or other suppressive fire tool (even the IAR))can keep the enemies head down (hopefully) while the riflemen reload. Teamwork.

Quoted:

I guess it is a good thing our soldiers were never issued a 9.5 lb rifle.

They weren't carrying nearly as much supplementary gear as current soldiers do.

In closing, I see 9000 round mags to have limited use. I do not claim that they are bad; only that they may not have many advantages over a 30 round mag. Sometimes less is more.

Case in point:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/tacticoolAR15.jpg

I see through your clever ruse.

The flashhider on that rifle is not .mil issue.

Actually that muzzle brake is .mil issue.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
waiting to see someone prone out with one of those.

I think the 60s would work fine.  The 100?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't Bill Ruger say something like that when he supported the AWB during Clinton's administration? I have never been in an ambush, but I'm not going to tell a soldier who is that he shouldn't have more than 30 rds. in a mag cuz he needs to learn how to shoot better

Holy fuckballs!

If this mag works for someone, by all means, use it. I am not saying that this mag has no use. Redimags, mag couplers, and 9000 round mags all have a use. However, fireteams work in teams. When working in teams, reload speed is far less important than many people will emphasize. Also, reloading should be done from cover; this also reduces the emphasis for speed.

If you are not in a team (or as I like to say, alone) and you get ambushed, you are dead. It does not matter how may rounds you have in your mag, they will shoot you before you have the chance to fire off a single round.

This is why I have put more weight on traditional roles of suppressive fire, and less on the rifleman. The SAW (or other suppressive fire tool (even the IAR))can keep the enemies head down (hopefully) while the riflemen reload. Teamwork.

Quoted:

In closing, I see 9000 round mags to have limited use. I do not claim that they are bad; only that they may not have many advantages over a 30 round mag. Sometimes less is more.

Case in point:

I see through your clever ruse.

The flashhider on that rifle is not .mil issue.

Actually that muzzle brake is .mil issue.

Japan doesn't count.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#8]

mine takes these. less money and not as cumbersume. 75 rounds!
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like they might be aiming at the IAR. I can't really see myself buying a 100 round magazine. A 60 rounder, maybe....but not a 100 rounder. If they are meant for the civilian market then SF is smoking some really good shit. In the days of cheap .223 it might have worked...but I don't think people are going to be lining up to do 100 round mag dumps again anytime soon.

The 100 rounders are clearly a little fringe, but the 60 rounders seem very useful.

60 rounders are for offense.  100 rounders are for defense.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

While we're all being extra retarded, let's remember that an extra 30 rounds of 5.56 weighs about 0.8 pounds.

OMG ALL THAT WEIGHT YOU'LL FALL OVER.

I can handle a dual mag setup very easily, and I'm built like an African chicken.

And if my calculations are correct, Surefire's solution won't even weigh as much as a dual mag setup.

You act like that is unusual.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread, IMHO.

So you guys don't carry any extra magazines? Dang, now THAT is impressive!
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't quite understand, I can get 40rds mags for $10 why would I spend $120 more for 20 extra rounds.

the math is:

$10/40rds= .25 per rd

$130/60rds= $2.17 per rd

Because someone in a firefight would gladly pay $120 to have 20 more rounds on tap before a reload, I certainly would.

Does everyone think they are Surefire's only customer?  Do you really think they are marketing $600 flashlights to people who's average use of a firearm is blasting away at a shooting range?

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't quite understand, I can get 40rds mags for $10 why would I spend $120 more for 20 extra rounds.

the math is:

$10/40rds= .25 per rd

$130/60rds= $2.17 per rd

Because someone in a firefight would gladly pay $120 to have 20 more rounds on tap before a reload, I certainly would.

Does everyone think they are Surefire's only customer?  Do you really think they are marketing $600 flashlights to people who's average use of a firearm is blasting away at a shooting range?

yes
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#14]

It is us who are now making the mag-ski

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why don't they just make a replacement top for an ammo can so you can just bolt one up.

They do...

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
waiting to see someone prone out with one of those.

Don't lie down during the zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

the math is:

$10/40rds= .25 per rd

$130/60rds= $2.17 per rd

Simple.

The Surefire mags come with the valuable " It Works" option.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#18]
no digital countdown timer?
3 of the 100's taped together more ammo–– on the rifle than the base load the soldier would carry normally ––- this will kill the ammo pouch market !
and If surefire wants to sell a metric shit ton they should start a rumor about a new high cap ban. Remember when USGI 30's went $30-$50 ?
Seriously tho I think it has its applications as long as its not a jam-o-matic,  having 60-100 rounds on tap right away would be great as long as it works.
As alot of people have said I see the three gunners testing it first and if it becomes a hit so be it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love Ohio, but I hate the 30-round limit on magazines.

Pansy.

Just don't load more than 30rds in the mag.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why don't they just make a replacement top for an ammo can so you can just bolt one up.

Someone fire up AUTOCAD
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't Bill Ruger say something like that when he supported the AWB during Clinton's administration?  I have never been in an ambush, but I'm not going to tell a soldier who is that he shouldn't have more than 30 rds. in a mag cuz he needs to learn how to shoot better

Holy fuckballs!

Quoted:

Case in point:

Supplementary gear is irrelevant - one 60-round magazine doesn't weigh any more than two 30-round magazines.

As for the weight of the rifle - I bet the M4 with 60-round magazine doesn't weigh any more than an M16A2 with 30-round magazine (& I bet it's still a hell of a lot lighter than an A2 with a PVS4 on top).
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll buy a few of the 60 rounders when the price comes down to something reasonable.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Is that the MAGPUL patent?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:11:43 AM EDT
[#24]
That's reeeeeally expensive.  How much are the Magpul 40 rounders going for?  Or are they not out yet?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Supplementary gear is irrelevant - one 60-round magazine doesn't weigh any more than two 30-round magazines.

As for the weight of the rifle - I bet the M4 with 60-round magazine doesn't weigh any more than an M16A2 with 30-round magazine (& I bet it's still a hell of a lot lighter than an A2 with a PVS4 on top).

Would it make sense to have a 30rd mag in the gun to keep the weight down and hold the 60rd mags in reserve?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I like the 60. I'm interested to see when they hit the market if they are as GTG feeding as the tried and true USGI/PMAGS.

That's really the main downside I see. Case in point: Lets say you are carrying 300 rounds in 2 scenarios. 10 30 rounders or 3 100 rounders. You have 1 mag crap out in either scenario but in one you limit your loss to 10% while in the other you've just dropped 33% of your available ammo while you scramble to tinker with feed lips etc. to diagnose the problem. Could be a non-issue but if that did happen loosing a max of 100 rounds vs loosing a max of 30 rounds could provide some unwanted excitement.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wish they would develop those kind of mags for RPK-74.

where do you think they got the idea?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's a post I wrote a while ago of one that actually exists and works:

Recently, there has been some interest in quad magazines. Here is a short summary of their operation using the only one I own, a Sites Spectre 9mm.

The Spectre mag is even more unusual than some others because it’s actually a 4 into 2 into 1, as it’s a single feed mag like a pistol instead of a left/right feed style like a rifle.

All parts of the mag work together to feed cartridges properly and it’s a complicated operation as opposed to the simplicity of a straight walled box magazine. The follower is designed to work with the mag components, wall angles and spring tension. The tension is VERY high, and it’s very hard to load, perhaps the worst in existance. This being said, this isn’t really a problem because this is a law enforcement weapon as opposed to a combat weapon where the ‘field’ comes into play. Loading mags in an office, is quite different than in dark/wet/dirty conditions. It is assumed that you will carry all the loaded mags you will need with you.

The 30 round mag:

The 4 wide area is separated into 2 chambers, and two separate springs are used. The follower rides in the slot and is large enough to push the alternating rounds on each side, yet thin enough to travel unobstructed from the 4 wide area to the 2 wide area while still pushing cartridges. It is also designed to ride the partition sheet metal so that it will not be allowed move out of perfect position causing a horrible jam. Of course, once it enters the 2 wide chamber and is free of the partition, it is held properly by the sides of the mag as normal.

The partition that separates the 4 wide area ends at the perfect point for the sides of the narrowing mag walls to integrate one cartridge from each side into a 2 wide stack.

The narrowing from 2 to 1 happens at the last moment so the follower just has to perform one last motion in order to feed the last round. Note the roller on the follower held by a wire arm. This makes this a dynamic component. It is important for the last round, as the roller follows the mag contour and slides under the last round in order to hold it in the feed lips. Without this element, the last round would be left rattling in the mag since the follower would not be able to move high enough to properly tension the last round against the lips. In the first photo, you can see this roller at work. This wouldn’t be necessary in a typical left/right feed mag like a rifle.

The ‘pistol’:

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish they would develop those kind of mags for RPK-74.

where do you think they got the idea?

Quad stacks have been around since the '30s.  They are not a mystery, it's a judgement call as to their ultimate value considering the weight, cost, and reliability versus a standard mag or drum.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the math is:

$10/40rds= .25 per rd

$130/60rds= $2.17 per rd

Actually, yes they are.  Tactical ninjas are where the money is at.  Any gun shop  owner  will tell you so.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I have mixed feelings when I see the price.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know much about near ambush or break contact procedures, do you?

To me this seems like a natural fit for the IAR concept and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they developed the mags with that system in mind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

+1

Nail - Head

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i am all for more ammo but also have another concern for the door kickers....

failure drills, misfeed, etx.... drop magazine just loast 1/3rd of your ammo load generally. don't generally want to put a potentially bad mag back into the fight.

these would be fun range toys etc... but for the guys actually needing more firepower i just don't see them as the end all solution. i don't see combat troops screaming for larger mags. More bullk means fewer useable magazines, thick gear on an already insanly thick chest rig with armor and pouches. off balance for weight distrobution etc....

i like option they are always a good thing, i just don't see a great deal of untility for the cost here.

There are downsides to any equipment. If there werent everyone would use the same loadout.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh,  I'd buy the 100 just to annoy a fudd and piss off a libtard
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1228/82529pj4.jpg

Looking at the diagram, I want to know what happens to #8 in the righthand picture that allows the follower assembly #20/21 to get to the position at the feedlips as shown on the lefthand picture.
And how do the shoulders at the shaded section at 'g' in the righthand picture fold up as shown in the left hand picture which allows the follower spring to end up at the top of the wide section of the mag (#3) lefthand picture.

It is a puzzlement to me.

I would imagine that #8 is shorter ( front to back) than the two followers , and the followers have a hollow space in the middle ( just not big enough for the cartridge to fall into ) that would 'wrap around' that #8 divider as the rounds rise up.

Kinda laughs in the face of the whole KISS theory . I'd want to see alot of testing in the field before Id trust it in battle .

But could be fun as a range toy .

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Let's see.  Adds about 5 more pounds to the rifle.

Barrel doesn't get to cool at all during mag changes that would be normal with 20 and 30 round mags.

Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Unless your role is suppressive fire.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for the 800 round ocho-stack.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/3954/sfhcm100m4.jpg

I predict a droopy barrel on your future.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#40]
brings the rain
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I for one am looking forward to using the 100 rounder on my PSD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let's see.  Adds about 5 more pounds to the rifle.

Barrel doesn't get to cool at all during mag changes that would be normal with 20 and 30 round mags.

Not a good idea.

Wow, five pounds?

You're saying that the magazine body weighs 4 pounds more than a standard 30-rounder's?

I didn't see that, I agree it changes my opinion of the thing.  I thought it would only be double the weight of a 30-round body, so maybe it'd add a pound total, when fully loaded.

And you're right, barrel coolling during reloads is essential.  I believe that's why the SEALs have transitioned to 5 round magazines.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i am all for more ammo but also have another concern for the door kickers....

failure drills, misfeed, etx.... drop magazine just loast 1/3rd of your ammo load generally. don't generally want to put a potentially bad mag back into the fight.

these would be fun range toys etc... but for the guys actually needing more firepower i just don't see them as the end all solution. i don't see combat troops screaming for larger mags. More bullk means fewer useable magazines, thick gear on an already insanly thick chest rig with armor and pouches. off balance for weight distrobution etc....

i like option they are always a good thing, i just don't see a great deal of untility for the cost here.

There are downsides to any equipment. If there werent everyone would use the same loadout.

There are also upsides.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The 60 rounder looks alright but ill pass on the 100

That hundred rounder looks like a giant curved erection on the bottom of the AR.

(Kinda like the one it gave me)  I think I will be seriously looking into this
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I really like the look of the 60 round magazine. The 100 round one looks like it might be fun for FA toys at a special FA shoot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I won't comment on military usefulness because that's a circle jerk argument, but no one has mentioned that a 60 round magazine could get you through 90% of 3 Gun rifle stages without a reload, and I would expect Surefire to release a quality product that works, as opposed to the craptacular 40 round magazines currently on the market.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

the math is:

$10/40rds= .25 per rd

$130/60rds= $2.17 per rd

'Cause!  Being uber tacticool is priceless!  

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know much about near ambush or break contact procedures, do you?

To me this seems like a natural fit for the IAR concept and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they developed the mags with that system in mind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I am not a soldier.  But I agree with "Duke"; if this thing is reliable, it could be a useful tool to our fighting men overseas.  Apparently, some of our remote bases are only manned by a few soldiers & the enemy sometimes tries to over run these bases with supperior numbers.  Besides, for road-block or base defense duty, weight would not be a concern.  Same for in-vehicle use & the 60 is short enough to manuever in a larger vehicle (like we are using now).  

If these mags give our boys an edge in that situation, then I am 100% for them!

Besides, they could also come in useful for 3gun.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I won't comment on military usefulness because that's a circle jerk argument, but no one has mentioned that a 60 round magazine could get you through 90% of 3 Gun rifle stages without a reload, and I would expect Surefire to release a quality product that works, as opposed to the craptacular 40 round magazines currently on the market.

FuyYun seems to think differently.  Apparently NO ONE will buy this for a range toy, it's strictly for "Operators".  Like $600 flashlights.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The 60 rounder looks alright but ill pass on the 100

That hundred rounder looks like a giant curved erection on the bottom of the AR.

So instead of the John Holmes of AR magazines, it should be the Ron Jeremy of AR mags?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top