Quoted:

This thread is like nerd fly-paper.  

Nerd flypaper

Stuck.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the Warhammer 40k info, ohiobr and leatherpuke!
I think I'll start out with Ciaphas Cain and then check out some of the Space Marine stuff.

I recommend hitting some wikis before delving into the books.
Warhammer 40,000 Wikia

Lexicanum

Various quotes & fluff
Once you have at least some idea what the heck is going on, check out 'Xenology', 'The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer' and the Eisenhorn series.  Also, the rulebooks and codexes for the tabletop game tend to have a decent bit of space devoted to short stories and fluff.  These can all be easily *ahem* acquired in pdf form.
Also, tl;dr:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Yeah when i first got into 40k novels id sit in front of my PC with the Lexicanum site open while i read.

I recently got a hold of a copy of the uplifting primer....love how the only punishments for disciplinary infractions are flogging, execution, and summary execution. It's also good to know that Tyranids are frightened and confused by sudden movement.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Darn....that's distressing.

When I first started writing science fiction, my capital ships were 1000 meters to a mile long and their motherships were 10X that. Of course, that was the 70's and all the public had were imperial star destroyers and Close Encounters of the Absurd Kind motherships. Sure, there were also space cities and things like V'ger, but they weren't really ships to tangle with.

Now, everything is HUGE and if you want to make a point, you have to be bigger than what was big yesterday....and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

("I've always heard to be beware because there is always something bigger and meaner around the corner. I just never thought it would apply to me."––Romi, (w,stte), "Andromeda")

Really?  Written anything we know or have read?

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For my fellow uneducated Philistines....From what series/books are those ships??

Warhammer 40,000

I Guess Technially Titans are Ships too;

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll start out with Ciaphas Cain and then check out some of the Space Marine stuff.

Warhammer 40,000 Wikia
Lexicanum
Various quotes & fluff

Once you have at least some idea what the heck is going on, check out 'Xenology', 'The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer' and the Eisenhorn series.  Also, the rulebooks and codexes for the tabletop game tend to have a decent bit of space devoted to short stories and fluff.  These can all be easily *ahem* acquired in pdf form.

Also, tl;dr:

Yeah when i first got into 40k novels id sit in front of my PC with the Lexicanum site open while i read.

I recently got a hold of a copy of the uplifting primer....love how the only punishments for disciplinary infractions are flogging, execution, and summary execution. It's also good to know that Tyranids are frightened and confused by sudden movement.

And don't forget, orks are big, but weak and blind.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've got Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium on the way from Amazon...too bad the books aren't on Kindle yet.
You can buy the eBooks directly from the Black Library website, which is the book publishing part of Games Workshop.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium on the way from Amazon...too bad the books aren't on Kindle yet.
You can buy the eBooks directly from the Black Library website, which is the book publishing part of Games Workshop.

Very cool! Thanks!
Looks like not everything is in ebook format yet, but quite a few are. There's even some audio dramas (great for driving)....

Ah, hell...what am I getting into?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Warhammer 40,000 Wikia
Lexicanum
Various quotes & fluff

Also, tl;dr:

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Darn....that's distressing.

When I first started writing science fiction, my capital ships were 1000 meters to a mile long and their motherships were 10X that. Of course, that was the 70's and all the public had were imperial star destroyers and Close Encounters of the Absurd Kind motherships. Sure, there were also space cities and things like V'ger, but they weren't really ships to tangle with.

Now, everything is HUGE and if you want to make a point, you have to be bigger than what was big yesterday....and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Really?  Written anything we know or have read?  

Alas, I doubt it. It's never been published, hardly read outside of a workshop here or there years ago.

The last time it rather came to the surface was when I played two of my characters (now that was a RUSH!) infront of my acting class mates.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
("Whoever I can get to publish my stuff."––irritating professional writer....and an undercover Fed, (w,stte), "The Day of the Dolphin")
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Warhammer 40,000 Wikia
Lexicanum
Various quotes & fluff

Also, tl;dr:

http://i48.tinypic.com/19nlaq.jpg

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Don't all these giant warships have a huge problem with nuclear bombs? Oops!

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

[nerd]
No actually they are usually built to withstand multiple direct hits from weapons more powerful than your everyday run of the mill nukes. Usually the fiction behind them has some sort of antimatter warheads in common use or bomb pumped x-ray or gamma ray lasers or something that are orders of magnitude more powerful than nukes in and of themselves.

Dahak for instance took several hits from...I can't recall but it was something with more oomph than antimatter warheads even before getting into beam weapon range of the enemy. But, what the hell it's a ship big enough to disguise itself as our moon for 50K+ years so it took the first few without too much problem. Impact craters 30 miles wide and 20 miles deep and he just kept on truckin!
[/nerd]
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If every 5-25 year old person had to look at these pictures every morning we'd be cruising through other galaxies by now. This thread is sofa king cool. But it has a lack of Hyperion.

http://good-wallpapers.com/pictures/6766/1280_Terran%20Battlecruiser%20-%20SC2.jpg

The Hyperion from Eve

And the Megathron:

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 1:49:09 AM EDT
[#17]
My top 5:

1.  Aliens Drop Ship
2. Vader's TIE Fighter
3. Flying HK from Terminator
4. Imperial Shuttle
5. Helo's & Gunship's from Avatar
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nuclear bombs in space don't really work like they do in an atmosphere.  The reason you see physical blast effects in an atmosphere is because the radiation (not the type you think) is hitting a resistant medium and converting itself to physical energy.

That's part of the reason why EMP is a concern with such detonations; the non-physical effects reach much further than they would otherwise.

But actual blast or thermal effects?  Negative, ghost rider.

This of course doesn't stop such weapons from appearing in scifi space battles.

David Weber's Honor Harrington series primarily uses missile-delivered bomb-pumped-xray laser warheads as the dominant weapon system.  Those are based on real research, and employ guide rods of a sort to focus some of the energy output of a nuclear detonation among five or ten output paths.

The new BSG series of course showed numerous nuclear warhead strikes on ships over the years, though often lacking in the physics department.  Even then, I believe each strike required contact between the warhead and the ship, and the Galactica was frequently shown employing massive arrays of counter-missile weapons similar to our existing CIWS, C-RAM, and other systems.

There are many, many other examples.

Remember that even modern seagoing warships are designed to survive atmospheric and exo-atmospheric nuclear strikes.  Not, you know, really close ones, but if you can't deliver your warhead to within ten or twenty miles of a US carrier group, odds are high that it'll still be in the fight.

Recall that there were concrete buildings intact at the hypocenters of both Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and that some of the early nuclear tests conducted by the US focused on figuring out how WWII warships would survive large blast effects.

At the end of the day, few materials offer better protection pound for pound than steel, and even world war two ships were nothing if not enormous floating piles of ruggedly assembled steel.  Add in early warning systems, countermeasure systems, high speed propulsion, contamination washdown systems (yes, standard on US warships), and the equivalent of modern safety engineering ala crumple zones and roll cages, and our ships are vastly more durable than they might at first glance appear.

And that's just talking about armor.  Hell, one common armor system in science fiction involves simply coating the ship in rock or ice or lead, which can double as a fusion fuel source.  That's already in the brainstorming documents for human travel to Mars, using ice or moon rock to build a radiation shield for a ship's personnel to protect against radiation effects common outside Earth's magnetosphere.

Then you throw in scifi stuff like energy shields.

The Robotech/Macross SDF-1 used two separate shield systems designed over time.  One was a globular barrier shield which was effective but short-lived and extremely destructive when overloading (killing one major character in the series and later being used as a weapon system) while the pinpoint barrier system required manual targeting of four tiny but movable shield areas, eventually being concentrated at the tips of the ship's booms and arms during a ramming action.  Besides which, most battles involving that ship were attempts to recover it intact, eliminating the option of nuclear warheads.

Mote in God's Eye used a shield system as one of two scientific conceits central to the plot; as the only wormhole to the Motie system terminated in the outer edge of a red dwarf star, only shielded ships could survive the trip.  The moties did not have shield technology until they saw ours at work, as a result their many forays outside their system all ended very quickly and sadly.

Star Wars of course used deflector shields, evidently both for combat as well as space travel.  The A-wing ramming of the super star destroyer's bridge at the end of ROTJ was possible only after the bridge deflector shield system had been destroyed by a concerted attack.

Trek used deflectors as well.  Somehow related to tractor beam technology, those big circular dishes at the front of the lower section of each ship were there to push objects out of the ship's path, enabling FTL travel without instant death from micro impacts.

Energy shields sound scifi, but a magnetic shield system on a Mars exploration ship is being considered as one solution to the radiation problem.  A portable magnetosphere, as it were.  That's not scifi.

And remember that the primary effect of an exoatmospheric nuclear detonation is... radiation.

So there you go, we have the science right now to build an anti-nuclear-weapon shield (albeit a very weak one) on a space ship.

Stands to reason we might someday do the same for physical impacts by figuring out how gravity works.  We still don't know that one.  In fact, there's very little scientific evidence to state definitively whether gravity is a force that pulls or pushes.  Maybe it's a pushing force that exhausts itself against mass.  Every other directed force does, like xray or gamma radiation, and this would explain why we're pushed down toward our planet from the clear sky but not up and away from it by a force passing through it.

There's a hell of a lot about the world that we still don't know, and not much reason to believe that we'll never figure any more of it out...

And most of the people who investigate that stuff and try to solve these problems?  They're scifi fans.  I almost linked to the definitive paper on exoatmospheric nuclear detonation effects, available at the JPL website.  You can just google it yourself.  And few places on Earth have as high a concentration of Trekkies as JPL.  Think about that before you let your giggling Hee-Haw mentality get too carried away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Blasphemy!!!!

AV1611 out...

Quoted:

Ugly ship, stupid show.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Emperor(?) Class Battleship of the Imperial Navy, from Warhammer 40k
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Yes! designed by a woman too- Lyra Wessex.
Add the Tie advanced (Vaders ship) give me the hyperdrive and the shields please.
also the Imperial Shuttle too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#24]

I think my kid has made me watch Wall-E about 10,000X still a very cool ship.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Macross VF-1 Valkyries

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Add the Tie advanced (Vaders ship) give me the hyperdrive and the shields please.

</a>" />

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/D_Defender

It would eat your "Advanced" for breakfast...
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think my kid has made me watch Wall-E about 10,000X still a very cool ship.

same here. the boy love that one
I like the probe ship best from that movie

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Thank me later.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Because likely nobody will notice it on the staff thread:

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Berserkers were boarded by ships that used a shaped/directed nuclear blast to breach the hull and allow the attacking ship to impale the berserker, then let troops out to attack internally.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I always liked this one.

I'll also say that pretty much everything else posted in this thread is awesome and most deserving of my nerd seal of approval.

r
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061223184054/starwars/images/0/07/Defender.jpg</a>" />

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/D_Defender

It would eat your "Advanced" for breakfast...

Thankfully CGI has rendered the kitbash obsolete.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That looks like a Robotech robot assuming the position to get fucked. I have to wonder what the hell some people in this thread are smoking. Apparently a cylinder or dodecahedron = cool? Warhammer cathedral ships are pretty awful looking too.

The SDF-1(?) from Robotech was always a bit "WTF?" for me since I was a kid.

What's the point of having a gigantic warship transform into an even more gigantic bipedal robot? What was it supposed to stand on?

If there were supposedly some weapons it could use or actions it could only take when it was robot-shaped, then well.. it was a pretty shitty design. All the weight, space, energy and parts that let it transform and function in both modes would be better spent on more weapons, engines, armor, fighters etc.

Obviously it was just a gimme to Japanese Otaku, "Hey! We'll give you a ginormous mecha/gundam/whatever!"

But it's still dumb.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad to see the Macross/Robotech stuff. That shit is why I'm an engineer right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks like a Robotech robot assuming the position to get fucked. I have to wonder what the hell some people in this thread are smoking. Apparently a cylinder or dodecahedron = cool? Warhammer cathedral ships are pretty awful looking too.

The SDF-1(?) from Robotech was always a bit "WTF?" for me since I was a kid.

What's the point of having a gigantic warship transform into an even more gigantic bipedal robot? What was it supposed to stand on?

If there were supposedly some weapons it could use or actions it could only take when it was robot-shaped, then well.. it was a pretty shitty design. All the weight, space, energy and parts that let it transform and function in both modes would be better spent on more weapons, engines, armor, fighters etc.

Obviously it was just a gimme to Japanese Otaku, "Hey! We'll give you a ginormous mecha/gundam/whatever!"

But it's still dumb.

When the SDF-1 folded from Earth to Pluto its fold system disappeared.....the transformation was needed to connect the main gun to the ships reactors to power it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#38]

I had a favorite, but those damn teenagers and that Aluminum Falcon blew it up.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/71/DSI_hdapproach.jpg

I had a favorite, but those damn teenagers and that Aluminum Falcon blew it up.

WTF is an Aluminum Falcon?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TELL THE TRUTH!

It's more about the filmography, soundtrack connected with Gay Ellis's skirt than anything else, right?

Is true.

The babes were awesome.

The spaceships, not so much.

Interceptors rocked..the rest were meh.....Speaking of the Female Crews..did anyone ver explain WHY they only had Purple hair on Moonbase, but normal when they were on earth???  Oh...and there's apparently a New production coming out sometime in 2013..same plot lines feature-length with the ship designs done by the guy who did the originals in 1970...suitably modernized of course.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#41]
As far as WH40k goes I really like the Valkyrie, even though it's a ripoff of the drop ship from Aliens.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

TELL THE TRUTH!

It's more about the filmography, soundtrack connected with Gay Ellis's skirt than anything else, right?

Is true.

The babes were awesome.

The spaceships, not so much.

Interceptors rocked..the rest were meh.....Speaking of the Female Crews..did anyone ver explain WHY they only had Purple hair on Moonbase, but normal when they were on earth???  Oh...and there's apparently a New production coming out sometime in 2013..same plot lines feature-length with the ship designs done by the guy who did the originals in 1970...suitably modernized of course.

A and B.

A: Anti static wigs. They were needed on Moonbase but not on Earth.

B: Sylvia Anderson believed that that time, the wigs would be part of a uniform, to have the women look "uniformed".

And then, we have C. One has to remember that on Earth, practically everyone there had a cover of being part of the film industry. Straker was the head of the studio, Foster and Freeman were executives, Carlin was a director of some sort, Grant was a director, Masters

may have been F/X and so forth.

While they did have people in uniform in SHADO control, they may have relaxed that to a degree for what is stated above. Ie, one can supposedly tell soldiers, even out of uniform, by the way they move. By relaxing it to a degree, they may have been trying to get around that to a degree. If someone appeared to be like a soldier some of the time around a movie studio, well, that might be taken as just an active part. But if they appear all the time to be a soldier, then someone might pickup on it.

As far as Lt. Sylvia Howell on SkyDiver

as the only female regular crewmember on a SkyDiver, it probably didn't matter.
___________________________________________________________________________________
("Commander, we have guns, we can get up there and take him captive!"––Captain Lauritzen, SkyDiver 3, pleading not to submerge and drown a supposedly harmless man
"No, Captain, DIVE!"––Straker knowing how dangerous the man is, (w,stte), UFO, "The Psychobombs")
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I have to go with a classic.

what I particularly like about it is that it's a "real" ship.  We could build it right now if we wanted. (would not want to try the suspended animation sleep)
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#45]

God I hate those bumperstickers.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have to go with a classic.

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs18/PRE/f/2007/166/e/1/Discovery_Alone_by_Andr_Sar.jpg

what I particularly like about it is that it's a "real" ship.  We could build it right now if we wanted. (would not want to try the suspended animation sleep)

My God! It's full of stars!
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Ragnorok from the Final Fantasy series?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Smeg Off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top