Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1-2 Mil? Dude, you need "Fuck You Money" to really do what you're thinking about. I wouldn't even do it until I had "Fuck You & Your Entire Family" money.

If I did? US Submarines Phoenix 1000. 65 Meter luxury submarine.

http://www.ussubmarines.com/images/subs/phoenix.jpg
http://www.ussubmarines.com/images/subs/phoenix_interior.jpg

I figure it'd pay for itself after making a few runs to Columbia and back anyway

I believe $2M can do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd want sail, and I'd want a boat I could handle easily singlehanded, preferably something the wife could handle singlehanded also without being too dependent on electrical/mechanical systems. You can't afford crew on your budget.

For a number of reasons I'd prefer a smaller boat, something like a Bristol Channel Cutter or Pacific Seacraft, but I would most likely look for a one-off on the used market because you get much more value for your money.

Boats cost by the pound, and maintenance and operational costs do too, you're also regarded differently by locals and have access to far more anchorages in a smaller boat.

Most of my sailing experience is in an old Pacific Seacraft Flicka, was a great boat. I wouldn't go that small for retirement though, something in the 30-40ft range.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1-2 Mil? Dude, you need "Fuck You Money" to really do what you're thinking about. I wouldn't even do it until I had "Fuck You & Your Entire Family" money.

I figure it'd pay for itself after making a few runs to Columbia and back anyway

Now that's badass. If I'd won that $500 million lottery I'd definitely have gotten one of those. I'd love to have my own sub. Out on the ocean and in rough seas? DIVE! Pirates? No need to repel a boarding party, just dive. I've played too much Silent Hunter 3.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I have the skills for sailing. I would have to learn a lot more about it before considering it.

A used SeaRay 540 or Swift Trawler 52 look very promising. Unfortunately, that pushes the budget requirements to at least $2M. One mil for the boat and the other mil for general subsistence.

However, I do believe that $60k a year is enough to exist on such a boat in relative comfort.

$2k to fill up that gas tank, how many gph you expecting to burn?
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.mirage-mfg.com/html/gh47.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can see this will be productive.

To expand a little, the boat needs to be comfortable for 2-3 people over lengthy trips. Speed boats full of whores do not meet the criteria.

Also needs to be manageable by those same 2-3 people. Such a boat doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
My nieghbor took a 34 foot sail boat from Florida to Cuba for a week. Then he went all around the islands and landed in Puerto Rico for 3 months. He was about to sail to Africa but then changed his mind. If I were doing this I would probably get a sail boat 40-50 foot. You will spend probably a few thousand dollars a week on fuel in a powered boat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Non joke answer...

An Island Packet over 40ft. Preferable the 46 or 52. Fully outfitted for cruising with extended tanks, Solar, 2 wind turbines, redundant water makers, and a high quality dingy on davits. Properly rigged and outfitted one of those can be single-handed and I believe the Island Packet to be one of the most stable blue water boats in it's class.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]
If I had unlimited funds? Motor yacht Luna

But since I don't, I have:
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To expand a little, the boat needs to be comfortable for 2-3 people over lengthy trips. Speed boats full of whores do not meet the criteria.

I know these two sailors and their boat, a 50' Ketch, survived the tsunami in Thailand and Pirate Alley, so at least it is a lucky boat?  The wife recently died from cancer and so THEIR cruising adventures have come to a close.

http://marinesource.com/boats-for-sale/1976-50-GULFSTAR-Ketch-Fort-Pierce-FL-100554458.html

Boat is for sale.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
One that I can sail to the moon somehow.

Quoted:
Non joke answer...

Reported.  Take that bullshit to a technical forum.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe $2M can do it.

Oh, yes. $2M is more than enough. Many people do it with far less.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
There seem to be quite a few 44-45' catamarans out there for $500-750K.

If I'm going to sail the world, I'm going to sail.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Elena, designed by Nathanael Herreshoff. One of the most beautiful man made objects, if you ask me. I think this is about $12 million, but I wouldn't care. I have a thing for sailboats. I really have a thing for wooden sailboats. Traditional styling like this gives me wood as well. I can't think of one Herreshoff  design that  I don't love.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also needs to be manageable by those same 2-3 people. Such a boat doesn't exist.

Most sailboats under 40 feet fit the OP's criteria.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Def some kind of Cat in the 45ft range, that is a decent size for a real blue water boat. You also need to rig up a mount on the bow to attch a 40MM so if you come across the Sea Shepard you can SRT (Sink Right There)
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Swan 53

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.mirage-mfg.com/html/gh47.html

That appears to have great potential as well. Slower but spacious, nice looking, and with long range / dual engines. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
To answer your questions, I'll say something that's between 45' and 60' long at the minimum. Preferably, it's closer to 75' or longer but that's way out of the price range.

I'd consider buying a used freighter and refitting it maybe.

I'd go to the Caribbean starting in the Bahamas and working my way there.

I know nothing about the sea other than seafood is good so I'd most likely want a 45' Bayliner or Sea ray, and wind up with a Seadoo or two that I'd use at my local lake.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, the people who used to have that fishing show where they were spearing tuna and such bought an old crab boat (think "Deadliest Catch") and converted it to a long range mothership for fishing expeditions.  That may be an option.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
For two to three people, I'd think a forty foot sloop, or thereabouts, would be a good size for manageability and seaworthiness.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Nauticat 44

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Iowa class BB.  If the Marines need fire support, I'd volunteer the ship and the crew.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I have the skills for sailing. I would have to learn a lot more about it before considering it.

A used SeaRay 540 or Swift Trawler 52 look very promising. Unfortunately, that pushes the budget requirements to at least $2M. One mil for the boat and the other mil for general subsistence.

However, I do believe that $60k a year is enough to exist on such a boat in relative comfort.

Sailing is much, much more feasible on your budget.

The fuel costs on a full powered boat would be tremendous.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Sailboat in the 45-50 ft range.

I'd sail to parts of Europe, Carribean, Central and South America and Pacific Islands.

I would avoid going any farther west than Australia.  

Expect corruption in all turd world countries and expect to pay bribes to customs people

to 'encourage' them to do their job.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Lagoon 38 Catamaran if I had 1-2 mil.Irwin 38 or Endeavor 40 centercockpit  for 50k if your not rich like me.Lagoon used is around 300 k loaded.Any of these boats will get you into the Islands or down to Panama.Lattitudes and Attitudes website will help a lot if your considering living aboard or cruising for a while.Wife likes Selene Trawlers and so do I but fuel will eat up party money and Selenes are about 1 million to start!Smaller sailboats need minimal crew and can get into remote places away from the idiots.All the Sailboats I  listed can be single handed and go in shallow water.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Can't believe no one has posted this yet....

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sailboat in the 45-50 ft range.

I'd sail to parts of Europe, Carribean, Central and South America and Pacific Islands.

I would avoid going any farther west than Australia.  

Expect corruption in all turd world countries and expect to pay bribes to customs people
to 'encourage' them to do their job.

Anything above 40 feet will become more difficult to single-hand. Most idea boats will be in the 37-39 feet range.

I would encourage a circumnavigation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://www.hnsa.org/ships/img/pt658a.jpg
Can't believe no one has posted this yet....

Nice!
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#37]
An Azimut if price is no object.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]
In all seriousness, a catamaran could be great for that purpose.

I had a co-worker who spent part of his life coast-hopping in a catamaran - According to him, it was perfect for the job.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cape Dory 45!  Only 3 made so good luck!  Add the Swedish Bikini team and profit!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/cape_dory_45_photo.jpg

Man, those are sweet boats. I've wanted a Cape Dory 330 or 36 since I was a kid. I had a dream of bluewater cruising and that seemed like the perfect boat at the time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
IIRC, the people who used to have that fishing show where they were spearing tuna and such bought an old crab boat (think "Deadliest Catch") and converted it to a long range mothership for fishing expeditions.  That may be an option.

The Fischers IIRC. Thats what I would do, re-fit a used rig supply boat and have a nice sportfisher on the back deck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Grumman Albatross.  

i like this answer

It's kind of a goal I'm thinking of.  I already have my ASES and before I need to worry about retiring I'll have my AMEL so AMES will be easy to add.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Westsail 32

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To answer your questions, I'll say something that's between 45' and 60' long at the minimum. Preferably, it's closer to 75' or longer but that's way out of the price range.

I'd consider buying a used freighter and refitting it maybe.

I'd go to the Caribbean starting in the Bahamas and working my way there.

I know nothing about the sea other than seafood is good so I'd most likely want a 45' Bayliner or Sea ray, and wind up with a Seadoo or two that I'd use at my local lake.

There's a reason they're called Bayliner, and if you ever saw the cross section of their hulls you wouldn't want to put it in a kiddy pool.

Truer words were never typed - Bayliners are cheap, both in price and quality.

For life on the water and the budget you specified,  I'd go for sail - 45' to 50' setup for single- handed sailing.  With a boat larger than that, all the equipment is bigger, which means you need a strong crew to handle things when weather starts to get rough.  A single-handed setup will be able to be handled from the cockpit, with a smaller crew.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Nordlund

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I would guess it's a little over budget bet I would like the Maltese Falcon She's only ranked 44 in the world but still really cool.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you had a somewhat limited budget of $1-2M (give or take a little) total and you wanted to retire to the ocean and do island hopping outside the U.S., what boat would you choose?

What islands would (or could) you safely visit and resupply at for extended visits?

What logistics problems do you foresee?

Keep in mind that with the given budget, you can't spend it all on the boat. You need money to buy food, fuel, and basic necessities.

The boat needs to be highly reliable and very seaworthy for long blue water voyages.

It must be manageable by a crew of 2-3 people.

You found an opium bunker full of pallets of American cash didn't you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Sailboat:
- Hans Christian
- Bristol Channel Cutter

Powerboat:
- Not familiar enough.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#49]
The minute you say used Sea Ray, I'm thinking you need to do more homework on boat quality.

I looooove sportfisherman type boats! A used Hatteras 60 fter is my dream boat and is about as bulletproof as it gets. Also look into 80's Bertram, Egg Harbor, Viking, are also great choices they sleep many people. Look for a boat that has been refitted and the diesels have been overhauled. Paying for a survey and engine compression testing is worth its weight in gold. On a budget an 80s Bertram with a complete overhaul and overhauled engines is probably your best bet! Good luck man I hope it works out!
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

then you have shitty criteria.

A speed boat with whores sounds pretty comfortable for me.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top