Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

WOW!!! I've never heard of the Fer-De-Lance, & I sure as hell don't want to ever meet one either!!

This.  I would burn a house down to kill a spider.  I do not think I have enough fire to kill a snake in the jungle....well unless I have nape.  and lots of it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
am i the only one who thought, "shit, man, that looks like a kid....."

No. You're not. Poor kid. I'd be surprised if he lives. Necrotic tissue that's not amputated will most likely go gangrenous and kill.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Who's hungry?

Needs salt

Don't forget pepper, that hunk of meat hasn't been marinated.

I believe it's been marinating in its own juices for about two weeks.

Fuck it, give me a knife and fork, I'm game.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Where does this snake live? I am not visiting there.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
In Panama it is simply called the "x" snake, it is spoken of with a healthy fear.

An EMT at a remote clinic told me that they usually only see 1 or 2 bites a year in that area.  I asked what his standard treatment was and he replied, "All we can do is pray."
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Where does this snake live? I am not visiting there.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Rub some dirt or kitty litter on it. Then take a nap, and let the body heal itself.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My dad knew a missionary that got bit by one, the guy almost lost his leg. The only thing that saved him was that it bit his foot and the fangs went all the way through so most of the venom was shot on the ground.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm a bit skeptical of that.  

Don't they have exceptionally long fangs?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad knew a missionary that got bit by one, the guy almost lost his leg. The only thing that saved him was that it bit his foot and the fangs went all the way through so most of the venom was shot on the ground.

Don't they have exceptionally long fangs?

An inch perhaps a hair longer, but there's so much bone and connective tissue in a foot that having a through and through bite is darn near inconceivable.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the typical results from cryotherapy.

I have read of cases where African Gaboon vipers have bitten all the way through feet and ejected venom outside of the foot.  Never heard of that from Bothrops though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have read of cases where African Gaboon vipers have bitten all the way through feet and ejected venom outside of the foot.  Never heard of that from Bothrops though.

Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

Something about fangs approaching 3" in length, but I can't remember which damned snake.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks French
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
looks fine

totally
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Rub some 'tussin on it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I could believe that could happen with Bitis.  I've heard of them biting through their own mouths and poking fangs into a handler who is gripping them from behind the head.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude needs to walk it off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Rub some 'tussin on it.

Didn't even make it to the first post huh?

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Rub some 'tussin on it.

Didn't even make it to the first post huh?

Nope.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rub some 'tussin on it.

Be good as new in no time.

out of tussin, put some water in the bottle, shake. more tussin...
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Somebody "Treaded" on that snake and paid the price.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll bet that smells nice...
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll call BS.  I could be wrong, but would you not be very dead my the time your leg got that bad?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Are people this dumb really allowed to walk around in public?

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
If you were bitten by one, would immediate amputation at the knee save you?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are people this dumb really allowed to walk around in public?

If it weren't for helmet laws, marked crosswalks, etc. dopes like him would be self-eliminating.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes missionaries can have some fantastic luck.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
am i the only one who thought, "shit, man, that looks like a kid....."

It is a kid. Wiki says an 11 year old.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Its dead Jim.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll call BS.  I could be wrong, but would you not be very dead my the time your leg got that bad?

It isn't BS, I have seen plenty of snakebite photos in cases that look just like that.  The victim is probably close to death, but people can be alive with a leg like that.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#33]
pssh that's nothing like this untreated mosquito bite I had this one time
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I bet it is rather fragrant.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#35]
A little on this case, the snake was Bothrops asper.  The 11 year old got bit near Pedro Vicente Maldonado, Equador.  It was treated with only antibiotics and the leg was lopped off above the knee.  The kid lived.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Soak it in cider?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Nail Clippers...You need them

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#38]
The leg is already starting to fall off.  Wow.  

Peter Hathaway Capstick wrote of a fellow in the Amazon that was bitten by one, and a local concocted some sort of liquid and had the victim drink the potion.  The victim started to vomit all sorts of congealed blood, clots, and other nasty liquids.  

He survived without any complications.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Heres another less graphic but very important pic relative to this thread.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At least I didn't click on this thread and see a pretty girl in a bikini.

Whew, disaster averted.

LOL!

What you did there and all that
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Snake venom is powerful stuff, the kind of stuff wonder drugs are made of.

I've been bitten by a rattlesnake, and I can tell you that it forever changes you.  Pain thresholds, chemistry, even brain activity.  We who've survived, have never had studies done to correlate any of this - and of course there are many types of venomous snakes.

I sometimes wonder why there are venomous snakes but no venomous lizards, maybe there are, but imagine a lizard chasing you with venomous fangs... that makes for scary dreams.

We who've been bit also are weird about the terms venomous and poisonous - which are entirely different and often misused by people who are ignorant of the differences.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Hot wings, anybody? Who's got the ranch dip?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Note to self - if you get a snake bite from one of them go to the emergency room asap.

Yep, just go down twenty three trees, turn left on the trail, walk 25 miles until the buffalo [cape buff] watering hole, bear right at the trail fork, go 12 miles, cross the river, cross it again 2 more times as it meanders, then walk 37 miles to the little red cross station.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Dinner then
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Doesn't take a Fer-de-lance to do that...  Leave just about any large pit viper bite untreated for several days and it will look horrendous.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img211/7833/bothropsasperarea.png

Yep no chance of me visiting that section of the earth EVER.  No, not just cause of creepy death by zombie rot snake...
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I've been bitten by a rattlesnake, and I can tell you that it forever changes you.  Pain thresholds, chemistry, even brain activity.  We who've survived, have never had studies done to correlate any of this - and of course there are many types of venomous snakes.
I sometimes wonder why there are venomous snakes but no venomous lizards, maybe there are, but imagine a lizard chasing you with venomous fangs... that makes for scary dreams.
We who've been bit also are weird about the terms venomous and poisonous - which are entirely different and often misused by people who are ignorant of the differences.

oh hai!

https://sites.google.com/site/venomousdangerous/lizards/venomous-lizards-of-the

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img211/7833/bothropsasperarea.png

yeah, well, here's another dupe also. Look a few posts above yours.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Gila Monster fail!

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Gila Monster fail!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top