Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
At 0.99 mach wouldn't you exceed mach 1 in a dive?  Also isn't hovering right on the edge of the sound barrier dangerous?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honda Jet is available right now.

No, it's not.   Hasn't even made it through the certification process.   Maybe by 2015.

Unless they've moved the nozzle location, that thing's such a pain in the ass to fuel....

<-- First non-Honda Employee to fuel it.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
There've already been concepts like is and none have been successful.  Wy spend $5-7m when you can get an L-39th for 500k?

Yea.....  

L39 can go Mach 0.8 at best.

THIS on the other hand, will go Mach 2.0, is fully operational, and easy to maintain.
Best part is it only costs $79,000 USD.

Where are you going to get a waiver to go supersonic over the CONUS?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Waiver?

Yeah, well...

Sonic boom? Sorry, no, I didn't hear anything but a compressor stall.

I don't have any room to talk, because I didn't have any waiver for the kinds of speeds I hit on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway over a decade ago.

I didn't say you should fly Mach 2, I said the aircraft was capable of it.  If it can do Mach 2 it can do Mach 0.99, just like the Saker S-1, but it can do it much cheaper.

But whether in a Mig 21 or Saker S-1, what would stop you from flying over the pacific for 200 miles (out of US territorial waters, hitting Mach 1.1 over international waters, then slow back down to Mach .99 to re-enter US Airspace? Or Visit Bermuda in your aircraft and fly supersonic while over international waters going there?

Interesting Czech Mig21 video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHH-YI6Rj7w

The US Navy might get an ichy trigger finger.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
There've already been concepts like is and none have been successful.  Wy spend $5-7m when you can get an L-39th for 500k?

Yea.....  

THIS on the other hand, will go Mach 2.0, is fully operational, and easy to maintain.

Waiver?

Yeah, well...

I don't have any room to talk, because I didn't have any waiver for the kinds of speeds I hit on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway over a decade ago.

I didn't say you should fly Mach 2, I said the aircraft was capable of it.  If it can do Mach 2 it can do Mach 0.99, just like the Saker S-1, but it can do it much cheaper.

But whether in a Mig 21 or Saker S-1, what would stop you from flying over the pacific for 200 miles (out of US territorial waters, hitting Mach 1.1 over international waters, then slow back down to Mach .99 to re-enter US Airspace? Or Visit Bermuda in your aircraft and fly supersonic while over international waters going there?

Act like an anti-ship cruise missile, get treated like an anti-ship cruise missile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had the cash.

Restart production of the F-86, add a second seat and power it with two smaller engines to fill the space of one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.   Hasn't even made it through the certification process.   Maybe by 2015.

Whoops, I was thinking since the engine passed the airframe was ready.  Although they still seem to be working on the engine as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea.....  

Best part is it only costs $79,000 USD. This particular example has been babied.

Mig 21s it was said exceeded mach 2 rarely, stories I read said it would need a total engine overhaul or new engine nearly every time it did.  Also I am fairly certain pissant civis are not allowed to go supersonic over CONUS even if they could.

If you buy a Mig 21 buy a few spare engines.

This dream airplane won't cruise at M=0.99, either.  There's a reason for that, the same reason no one else cruises there.

Hehe.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be happy to have a Quicksilver.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea.....  

Waiver?

Yeah, well...

LOL good point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to the BD-10J ?

If my memory isn't off, the tail on the prototype had a structural failure, during the flight test phase.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Need hard points.

I remember seeing this back in the late 80s on the cover of PM.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[I was searching articles and company information to find out whether Jim Bede is involved.]

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The BD-10 went into kit production and a couple of airplanes were built.  One of the buyers of the project from Bede was killed in his company airplane.  I don't recall the mode or reason.

More than "a couple".  I remember a PopSci or PopMech cover article a while back (probably late 1990s) which, IIRC, said that several people had already been killed in them.  Again IIRC, something about crashes on takeoff.

Wikipedia says five built and three crashes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I had the cash.

Restart production of the F-86, add a second seat and power it with two smaller engines to fill the space of one.

Bring back the T-33 Sky fox!

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If I had the cash.

They made working rebuilds of the Me-262 with modern GE engines, so why not?

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Or,like the Skyfox I posted,you stick the motors on the outside.Kinda the same thing was done to make the Lear and Falcon,though considerably less directly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or,like the Skyfox I posted,you stick the motors on the outside of a new airframe.Kinda the same thing was done to make the Lear and Falcon,though considerably less directly.

The one immutable rule of airplane engineering is that the prop bone is connected to the rudder bone.

I'm curious about how much of the Skyfox you believe is T-33.

My guess is that the fuselage was cut just aft of the wing trailing edge, and a new aft fuselage installed.  That would take care of getting rid of the huge cavity that the original engine had occupied, and allow adding the new structure for attaching the new engines.  The rest of the fuselage is at least modified (nose redone, engine intakes removed).

The F-86 fuselage would be left with a huge cavity from nose to tail, if the original engine was removed and two engines added externally, because the engine intake was at the front of the nose.  The T-33's engine intakes were much farther back, and the weaker engine probably needed less air (smaller intakes).

ETA: Might be less work to change a Lear 24 to a two seat tandem cockpit.  Replacement parts would be easier to find, upgrades are available, and you'd be starting with a newer design.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or,like the Skyfox I posted,you stick the motors on the outside of a new airframe.Kinda the same thing was done to make the Lear and Falcon,though considerably less directly.

The one immutable rule of airplane engineering is that the prop bone is connected to the rudder bone.

My guess is that the fuselage was cut just aft of the wing trailing edge, and a new aft fuselage installed.  That would take care of getting rid of the huge cavity that the original engine had occupied, and allow adding the new structure for attaching the new engines.  The rest of the fuselage is at least modified (nose redone, engine intakes removed).

The F-86 fuselage would be left with a huge cavity from nose to tail, if the original engine was removed and two engines added externally, because the engine intake was at the front of the nose.  The T-33's engine intakes were much farther back, and the weaker engine probably needed less air (smaller intakes).

ETA: Might be less work to change a Lear 24 to a two seat tandem cockpit.  Replacement parts would be easier to find, upgrades are available, and you'd be starting with a newer design.

OMG!  I have an idea!  We'll use that engine bay for a fuel tank!

I think the GD Fighter Airplane Group had better install an engine in the stock bay, plus hang two engines on the outside.  Get both, because three is none in this case.

Not sure exactly what the rolling eyes are directed at.

In case my sarcasm meter is off...

The engine is a fixed weight, and my understanding is that on the T-33 and F-86, the engine is well aft of the CG.  A fuel tank is a variable weight, so not a good thing to  have too far from the CG.  

As for the Lear 24 comment, it was a comparison to the work that would be involved.  Rather than having to redo the majority of the fuselage structure, and get into moving powerplant systems around, it would be mainly limited to redoing the fuselage structure forward of the wing.  Still quite a bit of structural work, and messing with the control, electrical, instrumentation, and pressurization systems, but likely less work than the Skyfox/T-33 mod.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because Slav shit
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will it be flown by Asimo?

Asimo with tentacles
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F86 had a huge engine in the center of the plane.  Two modern engines "could fill that space with "minor" engineering.   The thrust would be about 4200 lbs and with the lighter engines it would "almost" have the same  operational speeds with some reliability.

Yes I know it is a pipe dream but a modern 2 place would be nice.............

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Pride has two SU-27's.

SU-27's

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprisingly,no,the majority of the  fuselage was still T-33. New nose,new tail,new canopy,new wing tips but most of it was still T-33.

The remark about the Lear and Falcon was due to their design rather than actual production origins: the Lear coming from an aborted Swiss fighter and the Falcon being the offspring of the Mystere.

The failure of the Skyfox is obvious: why waste so much time and effort when the T-33 itself was rugged and by that point free and lots of bother rather than buying new Hawks or Alpha Jets.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I think half of the target customers already have their own air force.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Not that I have to worry about having that type of money to burn , but honestly I would rather have a G5 and fly to my destination in style with an attendant pouring me my favorite beverage.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Slav shit

I'm as big a slav-shit hater as anyone... But that said:

Ignoring combat abilities and focusing on "how good of a plane is it?" the MiG-21 is probably the best Soviet built fighter, by far. A great combination of relative simplicity (compared to, say, the MiG-23), high performance, reliability, ease of maintenance... It's my opinion that Soviet fighter design was all downhill after the MiG-21 (with the exception of the MiG-25... But that sucker is kind of in a different category).

The MiG-21, if I recall, is the most common fighter in the world... Parts are still made and will be for some time.

Designed to be maintained by illiterate retards... So I might have a chance of understanding at least some of its PMCS.

Still being upgraded for use in other nations... Could probably get some pretty sleek avionics upgrades from, say, Poland.

If one were buying a jet to serve the role of a flying sportscar... The MiG-21 would actually be a damn good choice... Cheap and simple enough you might actually be able to upkeep it... Capable enough to be awesome.

The upkeep and fuel on fighters are really killers when it comes to private ownership... They are spectacular.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Explain what part would be modern.

Here's your assignment for your first attempt at configuring an airplane.

Shoehorn Make an initial layout of two PW 545B engines of 4500 pounds thrust in the engine bay of a F-86H airplane to replace the original J73-GE-5 9500 pound thrust engine.  Include a preliminary weight and balance calculation and add ballast if necessary.  Examine the stock fuel capacity and report whether the range and endurance will be reduced or increased; assume drag is unchanged for this step, drag will be assessed after the layout has developed sufficiently to examine the moldline changes required to install two 32 inch diameter engines in place of one 39.5 inch diameter engine.

Ouch.  One of those snakes that can swallow a cow comes to mind.  Is there a such thing as reverse area rule?  

For ingomsg3, using two engines inside a roundish fuselage like that would not make sense even if you used two engines small enough to fit because it's a poor use of internal space.  This lost cross sectional area is not only wasteful in terms of structure, it makes the design less efficient because the engines' total cross sectional area becomes smaller, which means that the exhaust velocities have to be higher to provide the same thrust, reducing fuel economy.  It is possible and often done to replace one engine with a more powerful/efficient one of similar size and weight, but even this requires a substantial amount of work.  If you want two engines, you need to design the fuselage around them, either placing them side by side (F-4) or if you're feeling creative, one on top of the other (Lightning.)  You usually end up with a flatter shape than the F-86's rounder fuselage cross section.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Can't wait to see them!

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Nope, but they require a lot of inspections, you have to have the fire dept at your airport needs to understand them.

There's a lot of costs associated with them.

I know someone that has an F-101 star fighter.

Quoted:
I thought ejection seats were illegal on civilian aircraft.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

An F-101 Star Fighter, you say?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope, but they require a lot of inspections, you have to have the fire dept at your airport needs to understand them.

or

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the MiG-21 is probably the best Soviet built fighter, by far.

Su-27
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Explain what part would be modern.

Here's your assignment for your first attempt at configuring an airplane.

Shoehorn Make an initial layout of two PW 545B engines of 4500 pounds thrust in the engine bay of a F-86H airplane to replace the original J73-GE-5 9500 pound thrust engine.  Include a preliminary weight and balance calculation and add ballast if necessary.  Examine the stock fuel capacity and report whether the range and endurance will be reduced or increased; assume drag is unchanged for this step, drag will be assessed after the layout has developed sufficiently to examine the moldline changes required to install two 32 inch diameter engines in place of one 39.5 inch diameter engine.

I think I'd rather just get a BAE Lightning.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

I thought the F-101 was the VooDoo and the F104 was the Starfighter?

Top image looks like a Voodoo, bottom one like a StarFighter, or is it me?
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There's a reason surplus fighters and trainers are always for sale.

operating cost?
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprisingly,no,the majority of the  fuselage was still T-33. New nose,new tail,new canopy,new wing tips but most of it was still T-33.

The remark about the Lear and Falcon was due to their design rather than actual production origins: the Lear coming from an aborted Swiss fighter and the Falcon being the offspring of the Mystere.

The failure of the Skyfox is obvious: why waste so much time and effort when the T-33 itself was rugged and by that point free and lots of bother rather than buying new Hawks or Alpha Jets.

Add new wings, landing gear, avionics, and so on.  Don't try to sell the "simple" changes to the wing, they aren't, and they aren't limited to the wing tips.

I have no idea what you're trying to say in your Lear and Falcon comment.

T-33 wing and landing gear.No,not limited to the tips,they got LEXs faired into the fuselage but it's not a new wing.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the MiG-21 is probably the best Soviet built fighter, by far.

Su-27

Ehhh... Militarily, yes. But the MiG-21 would be friendlier to private ownership as a toy due to the smaller scale and vastly reduced parts count. The upkeep on a private Flanker would be scary. The MiG-21 is already a giant money pit. Now we're going to double the number engines, mass, systems? Yeah... That's going be be an amazing magic trick to make money disappear.

It's still in production though... I'll give you that.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top