Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
What is this man's job?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Regular Joe"

If you grabbed 100 men at random, my guess is maybe one or two could actually do that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examples of what I consider a decent regular Joe baseline strength level -

10 pullups
40 pushups
1 rep 1x bodyweight bench press (meaning 1x your bodweight on the bar)
1 rep 1x bodyweight squat
1 rep 1.5x bodyweight deadlift
1 rep 0.5x bodyweight overhead press

"Regular Joe"

If you grabbed 100 men at random, my guess is maybe one or two could actually do that.

I bet you could do it if there was Geese involved!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw a fella do about 20 of these non-stop this weekend.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 49, and I can do 15.
when I was 21 I could do almost 30, so I've lost quite a bit.

I'd say the average 20 year old can maybe do 3-5. I remember how pathetic all the big football guys were in high school gym class.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WBIXn7UeVQg/UFy77fty2EI/AAAAAAAADG4/KVXY3P7QPJo/s400/L+pull+up.gif

View Quote

L-Chin ups aren't much harder than straight pullups, IMHO. Takes more stomach to keep your legs up, but you're still pulling the same weight up. It's only harder if your stomach is out of shape.

Now levers, that's a whole different tortuous animal.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
2 sets of 20, a 3rd set of 14, a 4th set of 10, and a 5th set of 6.  

My cross fit workout tonight…5 sets (20 pushups on a Bosu ball, 20 wide grip pull-ups, walking squat lunges with 20lb dumbbells on each shoulder down and back a 50 ft hallway)

Pullups were the only thing I couldn't complete…due to fatigue.  By the time I hit squat lunges on the 3rd set, my legs felt like jell-o, and my heart was POUNDING.  I wanted to puke on the 4th and 5th set.  

Total workout time…just under 30 minutes.  I can barely walk now and my arms and hands are still trembling.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew a guy in highschool that had cerebral palsy and it totally fucked up his legs. On the other hand, he had retard strength in his upper body(probably to make up for the whole, no legs thing). During a physical fitness test the son of a bitch did 70, and said he only stopped because his hands hurt.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WBIXn7UeVQg/UFy77fty2EI/AAAAAAAADG4/KVXY3P7QPJo/s400/L+pull+up.gif
View Quote

I did 3 of those and felt like death.

not much of an ab person
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I am 50 and can do two.

Where do I turn in my man card?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

silly thread is silly...nothing that is arbitrary makes you or man and counter-wise
View Quote

Can't do any pull ups huh?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thread got me curious.

Before I did any weights I went straight to the pull up bar to push out as many as I could. I made 24 straight before I could no longer get my chin over bar.

hit the weights, and before I left I managed 8 with kipping and a 75 lb weight. Arms feel like jelly.

FTR, I am 6'2 217 lb's
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it harder to do one hanging from a steel I-beam or from a  pipe? Been trying holding the edge of a beam in the shop and it seems the grip in forearms gives out after a couple. 6' 215lbs and I havn't tried any pullups in many years.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Got me 100 points on that portion of the USMC physical fitness test.

P.S.- Since when am I getting an error saying "Message text too short" when I tried to post just the number above???
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Chin ups are different to pull ups, chin ups = palms facing your body with a shoulder width grip, pull ups = palms facing away from your body with a wider grip.

Chin ups are easier than pull ups for most people as they rely more on bicep strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I say 3 chinups is a pretty good start for an average joe.

Chinups are an order of magnitude harder then pushups. Many guys that can do 20-30 pushups can not do a single chinup.

Now if you are into fitness and workout all the time, I would say 10 would be the minimum.

Chin ups are different to pull ups, chin ups = palms facing your body with a shoulder width grip, pull ups = palms facing away from your body with a wider grip.

Chin ups are easier than pull ups for most people as they rely more on bicep strength.

what are these considered then, from that WWII fitness test?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#16]
8-12.

Back when I was training 4x a week I could do 3 sets from 12 to 15 to 10.

I was 220.  I could bench 100lbs over but right now it's a stretch to get past 280.

Now I'm down to 205 and I'm finding that even though I've lost weight, I've also lost strength.

I'm working on the strength part again and trying to stay 205.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One could do nothing but bench,squat, dead and dip and be able to do pull ups without training for pull ups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull ups are something you need to train specifically for, minus those that may be genetically geared for them. So, it doesn't matter.

One could do nothing but bench,squat, dead and dip and be able to do pull ups without training for pull ups

What ? How does benching, squats, dead lifts, and dips strengthen you for pull ups ? Two of those are lower body and the other two are pushes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What ? How does benching, squats, dead lifts, and dips strengthen you for pull ups ? Two of those are lower body and the other two are pushes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull ups are something you need to train specifically for, minus those that may be genetically geared for them. So, it doesn't matter.

Deadlifts strengthen the back, lower and upper. Your lats should be engaged as well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Regular Joe"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

"Regular Joe"

+1

The pushups maybe 20 could do it. The presses maybe 10.  The squat and deadlift drop it down to 3 at best.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
10 minimum
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Regular Joe"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

"Regular Joe"

That's pretty sad, because most of those thresholds are VERY low (except maybe the bench press). I can beat most of those by 2x.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of those are total body workouts if you do them right. Deads really help with pull ups ime
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups
View Quote

Doesn't seem like much. I'm about 50# overweight (250-260 depending on how much I eat and how long I was in the sauna) and can check each of those off my list. Problem comes into my second set of push-ups, second set of pull-ups, and so on. When using weights, I've never considered a single rep lift worth much as you only press that weight once.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't answer the question but at 42 years old, I can do 25 on a good day.

<a href="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/rock711/media/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg</a>
View Quote

You have a skinny neck. It supports the most vital part of your body- beef it up!
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I did 3 before the disc in my neck bulged a little more.

I guess the Dr. was serious about not doing things that have my hands and elbows above my shoulders until after the fusion.

I can do almost unlimited sets of 15 with 50lbs of assistance (assisted pullup machine at PT).  That last 50 lbs on my fat ass are a killer, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't answer the question but at 42 years old, I can do 25 on a good day.

<a href="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/rock711/media/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Knees are bent. You're a puss.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You may be an exception, but in the fitness world, bodyweight exercises and weightlifting according to multiples of your bodyweight are not considered arbitrary because they scale with your body weight.

10 pullups
40 pushups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes but it is not arbitrary...I am larger than most on hear in size... my experience level in physical confrontation is higher than most here (number of fights as a grown man due to job choices in my life)....I am not an MMA fighter,  I am not a "weight lifter", I am not a bad ass

but my ability to protect and provide for my family is above average.

You may be an exception, but in the fitness world, bodyweight exercises and weightlifting according to multiples of your bodyweight are not considered arbitrary because they scale with your body weight.

10 pullups
40 pushups

Those numbers are WAY above average guy on the street values.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Deadlifts strengthen the back, lower and upper. Your lats should be engaged as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lats are only isometric in a deadlift.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't mean it can't have an effect on pullups (not a huge effect of course)
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's pretty sad, because most of those thresholds are VERY low (except maybe the bench press). I can beat most of those by 2x.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

"Regular Joe"

LOL. I know very few people that can bench press 2x my weight.  They're all 20hr/week gym people and a few are "supplementing".

Take your average guy on the street. 5'10". 180lbs.  He's not been in a gym since high school and he's 36yo now.  Put him under a 180lbs bar and walk away.

Come back an hour later and he'll still be there. Probably dead.

Benching your bodyweight is a metric for a person in good shape (not great, not someone who is fitness oriented, not someone who does manual labor) not an "average" person.

I do 3-stop bench with my body weight, so I'm not making an excuse.  I can do it. I can rep it.  (My personal goal is to basically take that list and do 3x 10 rep).  But it's not realistic as an "average".
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isometrics only strengthen a muscle in a singular position.  In this case, with respect to deadlifts, it's a position not obtained in a pull up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Isometrics only strengthen a muscle in a singular position.  In this case, with respect to deadlifts, it's a position not obtained in a pull up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not quite as all or none as you make it seem but it's not worth arguing about either.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Palms out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

More than anyone cares.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys who can do 10 or more pull ups must be really strong or have short arms and low weight. Considering the arms to be levers, a heavy man with long arms will have a harder time doing pull ups than a small guy with short arms. I would wager that the outcome of a fist fight would not be predicted by which guy can do the most pull ups. In case you haven't guessed, I've always been terrible at pull ups.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
This is where I was at 3x a week before I gave myself a hernia. These are strict form no kipping. I can still do 20 with the hernia but doc told me not to push it.

Set 1
33 Pull-Up
:90 Rest
16 Chin-Up
11 Pull-Up
13 Chin-Up
max Pull-Up

Edit: I have short arms, about 155lbs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well Sweet Jesus with that build I would expect 4 sets of 25!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, congrats on your dedication.
I'm 57 and doubt I can do 6 and sure as heck not gonna try or I would have to turn in my Fudd card.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"Regular Joe"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

"Regular Joe"

I can do all of that except the 10 pulls.  I can do 6 pull ups palm in.  I cannot do any palm out do to shoulder issues.  How man palm in = 1 palm out?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deads work your grip strength, forearms, biceps, abs, and upper and lower back. All of which help with pull ups. My arms are bigger than ever and i stopped doing curls when i finally learned to deadlift properly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

"Regular Joe"

lol

I need to stop clicking on fitness and pot threads in GD.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:LOL. I know very few people that can bench press 2x my weight.  They're all 20hr/week gym people and a few are "supplementing".

Take your average guy on the street. 5'10". 180lbs.  He's not been in a gym since high school and he's 36yo now.  Put him under a 180lbs bar and walk away.
View Quote

You may be right, but I'm finding the responses to my fitness "standards" to be a pretty sad commentary on men nowadays.

I actually thought I was keeping it on the lower range of what most men should be able to do (the bench press may have been pushing it, maybe that should have been .75x bodyweight).

There are 2 components to using the bodyweight scale that I think alot of Arfcom is ignoring. If someones weighs 250-300 and are saying they couldn't meet any of the bodyweight multiple targets I listed, it's not just because they aren't strong enough. It's also because their body weight is too high. Depending on how much weight you've got to lose, meeting those multiples may be easier to achieve by losing weight instead of gaining strength.

Now, I'm no lightweight at 6'3" and 235# but I can meet all of the standards I listed multiple times over. The 5'10" 260# Arfcommers need to stop kidding themselves, their strength isn't their problem, they are just overweight
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#43]
threads like this amuse me, greatly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I failed to meet minimum standards.

I'm 6'3" 210 and I did 8 last night.

I can still do a 6 min mile though; 15 years ago I could do sub 5 min (HS)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I can do like 11 or 12 dead-hangs with palms out.

But I can do more with palms facing in... Like 17.

IMO a man should be able to do 5. That would definitely give you the strength to pull yourself up with some light gear on.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#46]
225lbs and the most I've done is 23 pull ups before my form started to fail. I usually warm up back and and chest workouts with 3 sets of pull ups for 20,15, and 10 reps and then move on to weights.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I think 8 is a good cut line.

I'm stuck at 21.  Every other day I do 5 sets with a 2 min rest.  A good day is 9,11,9,9,11.  I just managed to get my chin over the bar on the 21st rep the last time I tested myself.  I'm 5'9" and about 190lbs.  I guess I need to change the routine or drop some weight to improve.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I can do 20-25 proper pull ups. I would consider someone doing over 5 good, and over 10 impressive.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#49]
One of Crossfit's trademark workouts is "Fran," which involves doing sets of 21, 15, and 9 pullups. Now: a very, very small percentage of the population is able to do a single set of 21 proper pullups, without stopping. I guarantee you that the majority of NFL football players cannot do this. But since it's so god damn important to make the numbers in the workout, Crossfit people do 21 kipping pullups instead, and then they're all, "Yeah, I just did 21 pullups right there." Yeah, and I can dunk a basketball as long as I'm jumping off a trampoline. Those are not pullups...

http://gawker.com/5928989/the-problems-with-crossfit
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

silly thread is silly...nothing that is arbitrary makes you or man and counter-wise
View Quote

unless you happen to be a capon.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top