Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whats the consensus on Dickel 12 year aged? Cheaper than anything I've seen with great reviews.

http://liquor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dickel.jpg
View Quote
According to the web site it looks like they changed their label lately.

Bad enough that Rebel Yell now looks like a bottle of yuppie white whine (sic), Dickel is going down that same road.

I'm just hoping that the stuff in the glass doesn't go to piss.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Bad enough that Rebel Yell now looks like a bottle of yuppie white whine (sic), Dickel is going down that same road.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats the consensus on Dickel 12 year aged? Cheaper than anything I've seen with great reviews.
http://liquor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dickel.jpg

I doubt they changed what's in the bottle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Cheap scotch

"cheap" bourbon

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer single malts, but the Kirkland brand Crown knock off is pretty darn good at $25 for 1.75L.  I actually like it a bit better as its got a little more smoke/spice than Crown.

For those in CA with Bevmo nearby, you may be able to get my favorite *cheap* single malt at $20 with Bevmo card (it'll show on the shelf as $30, but should price to $20 with the card at the cashier).  Called Toremor and it's a fantastic value at $20.  It's not Lagavulin or Talisker, but it doesn't claim to be either.  It's a light, slightly salty speyside with a hint of smoke and citrus.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Negative, it's made by Jim Beam, it's not bad, decent for a mixer.

My cheap bourbon is W.L. Weller 90proof/7year at $12 a fifth. It's cheap here, Ive seen it in other states at 20-25 a bottle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My cheap bourbon is W.L. Weller 90proof/7year at $12 a fifth. It's cheap here, Ive seen it in other states at 20-25 a bottle.

I'm a fan of Weller as well.  you can pick up a liter for about what a fifth of jack goes for.  it has a flavor somewhere in between jack and crown royal.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I prefer single malts, but the Kirkland brand Crown knock off is pretty darn good at $25 for 1.75L.  I actually like it a bit better as its got a little more smoke/spice than Crown.

For those in CA with Bevmo nearby, you may be able to get my favorite *cheap* single malt at $20 with Bevmo card (it'll show on the shelf as $30, but should price to $20 with the card at the cashier).  Called Toremor and it's a fantastic value at $20.  It's not Lagavulin or Talisker, but it doesn't claim to be either.  It's a light, slightly salty speyside with a hint of smoke and citrus.
View Quote

Umm, crown is not a single malt.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
are we talkin sippin whiskey or mixing whiskey? i dont sip whiskey much or often but do like

as far as mixing whiskey i do like me some , havent had the maple or the regular and im not a fan of cinnamon whiskey to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
are we talkin sippin whiskey or mixing whiskey? i dont sip whiskey much or often but do like http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/gentleman_jack.jpg

as far as mixing whiskey i do like me some http://tailgatermonthly.com/wp-content/uploads/Bird-Dog-Whiskey-1024x706.jpg, havent had the maple or the regular and im not a fan of cinnamon whiskey to begin with.
View Quote

You don't mix whisk(e)y !

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
You can't compare bourbon and scotch prices. You can get a fairly high end bourbon for $35-40. Not happening with scotch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can't compare bourbon and scotch prices. You can get a fairly high end bourbon for $35-40. Not happening with scotch.
View Quote

Yup.      But there are some good single malts around 30-40, especially if you get 375ml bottles.  

Bourbon is rare to see over 10-15 years.    Single malts are rare to see under 12 years.   They have to pay tax on it every year.

You can get independent bottlers and take a risk.   They are usually single cask fills.   I got a 23yo bunnahabhain for $150 and a 30yo North British single grain for $200.    I have seen 25yo highland park for $80.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
are we talkin sippin whiskey or mixing whiskey? i dont sip whiskey much or often but do like http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/gentleman_jack.jpg

as far as mixing whiskey i do like me some http://tailgatermonthly.com/wp-content/uploads/Bird-Dog-Whiskey-1024x706.jpg, havent had the maple or the regular and im not a fan of cinnamon whiskey to begin with.

thats why i had both sippin and mixin but in all honesty over the rocks the birddog whiskey would be good too
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Makers 46 is $29.99 at Costco and I believe it's the same price with the Glen 18's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

thats why i had both sippin and mixin but in all honesty over the rocks the birddog whiskey would be good too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice is bad too.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Makers 46 is $29.99 at Costco and I believe it's the same price with the Glen 18's.
View Quote

Not Glenlivet.  Maybe Costcos independent bottlings of Glenlivet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ice is bad too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice is bad too.  

only if you use more than two cubes
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ice is bad too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice is bad too.  

I used to take it neat, but I've developed a taste for ice in it. Plus it helps keep me hydrated.

And y'all's definition of cheap is different than mine.

Jameson is the good stuff. Something like Blanton's (about 50 bucks/fifth) is for special occasions.

My usual is Windsor Canadian. 8.95/fifth. It's surprisingly good. Not too sweet and not harsh. No bad aftertaste like some of the other stuff posted. (old granddad )

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I used to take it neat, but I've developed a taste for ice in it. Plus it helps keep me hydrated.

Jameson is the good stuff. Something like Blanton's (about 50 bucks/fifth) is for special occasions.

My usual is Windsor Canadian. 8.95/fifth. It's surprisingly good. Not too sweet and not harsh. No bad aftertaste like some of the other stuff posted. (old granddad )
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0230/2837/products/Windsor_Canadian_Whisky_1024x1024.jpeg%3Fv%3D1376655760
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice is bad too.  

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0230/2837/products/Windsor_Canadian_Whisky_1024x1024.jpeg%3Fv%3D1376655760

Cheap is relative.  
I like stuff that is old enough to go to a bar by itself.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cheap is relative.  

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rdxfusion/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6322c200.jpg
View Quote

Oh, I enjoy and appreciate the good stuff. I just won't afford it on a regular basis. Besides, after the first 3 or 4, you can't really tell the difference, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh, I enjoy and appreciate the good stuff. I just won't afford it on a regular basis. Besides, after the first 3 or 4, you can't really tell the difference, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheap is relative.  

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rdxfusion/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6322c200.jpg

Yup.   No point in wasting good stuff after a glass or two.   Everything tastes awesome then.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, I already suggested Balvenie 12 Doublewood, but it's slightly outside the $30 target. I did just remember another Scotch that is probably the best kept Scotch value secret out there.

if you live in a state where liquor can be sold in grocery stores and you have Trader Joes, pick up a bottle of this...

It can be found for as low as $18 if you live in a state with low liquor taxes. It's a fairly simple, but strongly peaty Scotch, and the price can't be beat. It's a private label offering and thus doesn't disclose which distillery it comes from or the age. It can even change year to year. Most seem to think it's a 6-year Lagavulin though.

I've got 4 bottles at home along with 3 of the Trader Joes 23-year
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, I already suggested Balvenie 12 Doublewood, but it's slightly outside the $30 target. I did just remember another Scotch that is probably the best kept Scotch value secret out there.

if you live in a state where liquor can be sold in grocery stores and you have Trader Joes, pick up a bottle of this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7RJ9kf0mJfc/TCY9HdAk6FI/AAAAAAAAAS0/1uZtWbdd3bs/s1600/Finlaggan_Old_Reserve.jpg

It can be found for as low as $18 if you live in a state with low liquor taxes. It's a fairly simple, but strongly peaty Scotch, and the price can't be beat. It's a private label offering and thus doesn't disclose which distillery it comes from or the age. It can even change year to year. Most seem to think it's a 6-year Lagavulin though.

I've got 4 bottles at home along with 3 of the Trader Joes 23-year
View Quote

I will have to look for that.    Looks like it is from Lagavulin or Laphroaig.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Under $30?
Tullamore Dew.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Benchmark
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]
My go-to cheap Bourbon is Benchmark 8 year.  Scotch is Cutty Sark.

Believe it or not, it makes a damn fine drink - what I call "Third Time's a Charm" - equal parts bourbon and scotch, two dashes of Angostura, and top with seltzer water.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Just picked up a bottle of Achentoshan 12.   See what it's like when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm surprised - only two references to Jack Daniels, the highest selling American made whiskey.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Crawford Scotch is what I keep and home and drink too much of.  About $30 for a 1.5 liter bottle.

Scotch is an acquired taste and after spending too much money on other brands I found it easy to acquire a taste for this brand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Ranger Creek Rimfire Mesquite Smoked Texas Single Malt Whiskey.

"Mesquite Smoked Porter beer distilled into a whiskey.  It’s also much more.  Rimfire is a scotch-style single malt whiskey.  It’s a smoked whiskey where the malt was smoked by hand, but instead of using Scottish peat to smoke the malt we used Texas mesquite.  The result showcases how dramatically a beer can evolve when distilled and matured.  While a little water brings out a hint of roasted chocolate and smoke from the porter, completely new aromas and flavors of sweet malt and light, tropical fruit define this whiskey.  It’s a delicate and well balanced spirit that will be familiar to single malt whiskey drinkers yet completely unique to Texas.  Rimfire takes its name from the type of ammunition used by the Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy” repeating rifle."

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
My cousin always bought Corby's whisky to the cabin as a joke, but we always drank it. We did a blind taste test with Jack Danials. I was the only one who could tell the difference and that was a lucky guess. I think they quit making it now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm surprised - only two references to Jack Daniels, the highest selling American made whiskey.
View Quote

Glenmorangie 10 is the best selling scotch in Scottland.   Budweiser is the best selling beer in the US.   Marketing does not make something good.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Evan Williams or Black Velvet as a mixer
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Please do your research, Jim Beam brand makes Knob Creek.  Costco buys it under aged.    13'er
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My cousin always bought Corby's whisky to the cabin as a joke, but we always drank it. We did a blind taste test with Jack Danials. I was the only one who could tell the difference and that was a lucky guess. I think they quit making it now.
View Quote

They could not tell the difference between a blended Canadian whisky and a charcoal mellowed whiskey?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Life is too short to drink bad booze, but good rum can still be cheap.  Goslings kicks total ass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Elmer T. Lee

I almost never have problems finding Woodford under $30 either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Scotch- White Horse
Irish- Jameson
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Paid $20 per bottle; don't find these too often, so one's going to the whiskey cabinet, the other one to my JD collection.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Buffalo Trace.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Very, very aware that CR is not a single malt, but the OPs question was cheap whisky/whiskey/bourbon/...   so I descended from the heights to the abyss.  

As far as single malts, there are none around here worth smelling, never mind drinking, for anywhere near the 2x cost of the Costco Crown-ish Canadian style whiskey and trust me I've tried to find one and my taste buds are still mad at me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm poor

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Canadian Club. It is storied, tasty, and very affordable. I'm a single malt snob, so I'll go to this way before I'll buy a cheap single malt if I need to tighten my belt. I almost always have a handle of it in my cabinet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Cheap is not 30 bucks a bottle

Either this

or this, is as cheap as I go

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Beam Black
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#46]
This would be a great Scotch for someone that loves Bourbon.
Smooth and sweet.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Evan williams black
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dads goto.  I asked the local discount/wholesaler and they said its still made but there isn't a demand and not a lot of stores carry it anymore. Mixes great with a strong ginger ale.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Old Crow
Evans green or black
recently the local discount liquor store has had Dickel Tennessee sour mash Whisky on closeout for 15.00 a liter. good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#50]

You do not want to get drunk off this shit. Nasty. Anyway, my favorite cheap whisky is Benchmark.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top