Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

why would space ships move like aircraft that need lift under their wings?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol, the Falcon's flight profile was unrealistic. I have heard it all.

LoL I know it's a movie, but you watch The Force Awakens, and then you watch the original trilogy, you'll understand.  To put it in simple terms, in The Force Awakens it looks like a kid holding the ships going "pew pew" while playing in his bath tub.  Watch the trilogy, and you'll see they move more like aircraft.  

The whole point is that they seem natural in flight.  You don't want to be watching a dogfight scene and be distracted by weirdness.  TFA has shit CGI and there's no way around it.  

They don't, but you're missing my point.  The fact they move strangely is distracting to our eye, and we focus on stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They don't, but you're missing my point.  The fact they move strangely is distracting to our eye, and we focus on stuff like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL I know it's a movie, but you watch The Force Awakens, and then you watch the original trilogy, you'll understand.  To put it in simple terms, in The Force Awakens it looks like a kid holding the ships going "pew pew" while playing in his bath tub.  Watch the trilogy, and you'll see they move more like aircraft.  

The whole point is that they seem natural in flight.  You don't want to be watching a dogfight scene and be distracted by weirdness.  TFA has shit CGI and there's no way around it.  

Welcome to sci-fi: "Repulsors kicked in!" /end complaint.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'suspension of disbelief' is required to enjoy certain genres.  that said, i really like how BSG did space ship maneuvering  

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the Rey/Falcon scenes were far too overboard, then I watched Empire, and Han pulls some of the same moves flying into the hole that turned out to be a dinosaur-like creature
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's not entirely accurate... I have watched the original trilogy somewhere in the dozens of times, and including the very unretouched original versions where the matte lines around the spaceships was painfully visible. Even as a kid watching ANH, the Falcon looked completely unreal physics-wise during the escape from the Death Star (you know what I mean, where they back out of the docking bay).

When I watch a dogfight using completely unrealistic spaceships, I re-tune my expectations. And don't forget, if you buy into the way this milieu operates, they're not just using the rockets at the back. There are repulsors that come into play as well, that contribute to the Falcon's flyability and stability.

Not an attempt at an argument... Only that you don't seem to be giving this new movie the pass you do the originals. Re-watch them; there are physics issues in those movies too, if you don't suspend that disbelief.
View Quote

I knew somebody would bring up the matte lines. Other than that, what about those ships seemed "off?"  Notice by the time ESB and ROTJ came out, they had fixed those issues.  The scene in ROTJ when the fighters are flying through the capital ships just before they go attack the DS, and then that scene with all the TIEs scrambling was masterful.

When I read the articles about how, for TFA, they were going "practical" and how even one of the writer's kids could tell fake CGI between the real models that had depth in the OT, I was extremely excited, then I saw hardly any ships in flight were models. (I may be wrong, but I don't think I could've pointed out a single one that was non-CGI)  The only thing they did practical was the landed ships.  What WAS excellently done was the scene where the X-wings were flying in formation on the water.  After that is when it fell apart, though.  Go watch when POE is flying around killing stormtroopers and TIEs, it just looks klunky.  Lucas modeled the ship movement in fights based on Air Force films, which worked because they were familiar.

The ship movement, nor the overuse of CGI, were my major gripes like I thought they would be for TFA.  The story was just shit right after the TIE crashed in the desert.  When I read the rolling intro, I thought this movie would be about them on a journey through different worlds trying to find Luke, and their adventures while doing so.  THAT would've made for a decent story, but it ended up getting 3min of play time at the end, where it was just a map and a quick hyper jump away.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
'suspension of disbelief' is required to enjoy certain genres.  that said, i really like how BSG did space ship maneuvering  

View Quote

They did it pretty well, and you saw the jets shooting out when they performed a strange maneuver, which ended the viewer's "suspension of disbelief" because we saw it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought the Rey/Falcon scenes were far too overboard, then I watched Empire, and Han pulls some of the same moves flying into the hole that turned out to be a dinosaur-like creature
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That maneuver at the 30 second mark...
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
VFX Reel floating around out there. I cought it on Vimeo before it got pulled.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW, I think the Zootopia clip before the movie is one of the funniest trailers I've ever seen.  The audience was rolling.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]

best skit SNL has put out in a long time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/FaOSCASqLsE

View Quote

Ha!
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/FaOSCASqLsE

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I just took the wife to see TFA... She loved it.

I think I enjoyed it even more the second time around. I obviously knew what was going to happen, but I paid more attention to the details. And man, were there details I missed the first time.

Things I noticed this time:

- The music was not Ep. I or IV levels of awesome, but it was *perfectly* matched to the action. Set the mood well. I think I missed a lot of it the first time because

- I don't know why anyone would whine about the CGI. Every frame was excellently done. The Falcon as flown by Rey was neat too - it seemed to have actual weight.

- Kylo may be a spoiled brat, but he is also pretty powerful. Mid-level power I'd say. I think there's a host of new cool stuff to be discovered in the coming movies.

- Pacing, story, acting, direction, design... All on-point.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#14]
We are sooooo going to get this game:
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
So is there anyway to watch this if it isn't in the theaters and I don't torrent?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So is there anyway to watch this if it isn't in the theaters and I don't torrent?
View Quote

Available for pre-order at Amazon, release date unknown

Sorry, that's the best I've got.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
that old dottering fool Lucas wants to direct episode 8. he's got a change.org petition going:

https://www.facebook.com/topic/George-Lucas/108208072540650?source=wtfrt&position=1&trqid=6238880645172675185
View Quote

Dicks...

Send him a bag of dicks.

Stupid asshole needs to just shrivel up and die.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like an April 5 release for the Bluray.
I wonder if they'll do a digital release a month ahead of that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3w5IfJIQns
View Quote

The storm troopers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The storm troopers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The storm troopers.

I saw the movie again today and had a minor chuckle during that scene because the Lego trailer popped into my head.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walmart is selling a box that looks like a DVD case with a code for a digital copy download when it comes out.  .  

Three posters too.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Digital-Movie-Pre-Order-Includes-Three-Collectible-Posters/48936283
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#23]
It hit $2B worldwide over the weekend. Not bad for only 7 weeks...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The lego versions of movies, especially Star Wars (droid tales FTW), are fastly becoming our favorites over here.

ETA:  And I go back to watch the original trailer and it was sooooo much better than the entire movie.  Hindsight says I would've been more satisfied if that's all I had watched.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I intentionally have not shown that ad to my kids.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is the same bowcaster that sends stormtroopers flying twenty feet back with the Willhelm scream, and he just takes a QB kneel when he takes it to the gut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have people realized Kylon Ren is a bad mofo finally? Dude had to be literally holding his guts in after taking a bowcaster shot to the gut and he still merked on Finn and barely lost to Rey.

lol

This is the same bowcaster that sends stormtroopers flying twenty feet back with the Willhelm scream, and he just takes a QB kneel when he takes it to the gut.

He had already proven that he can stop and suspend plasma bolts so it's not impossible that he tried to force freeze it when he realized he had been shot at but was not fast enough
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
The trailers and cutscenes are so good, but the actual games are so bad.

Instead of making a game out of them I wish they'd just do LEGO satires of all the movies.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Spoilers. (duh.)

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I saw the movie again today and had a minor chuckle during that scene because the Lego trailer popped into my head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The storm troopers.

Here's to hoping that the designers make "Matt the Radar Technician" a playable character.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Home video release next month.

I was hoping the digital release would have been earlier than the 1st, but since it's just a few days, I'll wait for the bluray.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Home video release next month.
https://youtu.be/rVzbyDq3QSY

I was hoping the digital release would have been earlier than the 1st, but since it's just a few days, I'll wait for the bluray.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm going to get a Blu-Ray + Disney Anywhere multipack
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Awesome. Look forward to watching this a ton!
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why I like the new Battlestar Galactica, all the ships moved/maneuvered via thrusters.

The dogfights were more realistic.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#36]
NSFW, as always...
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I can't wait to see that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tagged for tonight
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll probably redbox it to see it once more(total of 3 by then ) But man that was such a disappointment. I hope rogue one and XIII end up better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Nice.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll probably redbox it to see it once more(total of 3 by then ) But man that was such a disappointment. I hope rogue one and XIII end up better.
View Quote

Yeah, people regularly watch disappointing movies 3 times...

Keeripes there are movies I like I haven't seen 3 times!
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You miss a lot about a movie if you only watch it once. The first time I saw it on 12/17 I was so worried about the story I didn't really notice much else.

The second time I saw it a few days later I was able to pick up many things didn't notice in the first viewing. Good and bad. Acting, CGI, Script, plot and holes in said plot, score, etc.

I will pass my final judgement on it after seeing it a 3rd time.

I watch the original trilogy several times a year. I've read dozens of the now non-canon books, play the games, have read the comics, watched the shows. I loved Star Wars. I'm not going to pass complete judgement without thoroughly analyzing it. But right now it's not looking good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You miss a lot about a movie if you only watch it once. The first time I saw it on 12/17 I was so worried about the story I didn't really notice much else.

The second time I saw it a few days later I was able to pick up many things didn't notice in the first viewing. Good and bad. Acting, CGI, Script, plot and holes in said plot, score, etc.

I watch the original trilogy several times a year. I've read dozens of the now non-canon books, play the games, have read the comics, watched the shows. I loved Star Wars. I'm not going to pass complete judgement without thoroughly analyzing it. But right now it's not looking good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean, I was just ribbing you a bit. Good on you for giving it more than one shot and pronouncing it good or bad.

I am similar - i rewatch the original trilogy often, and have some of the EU books also, but upon my second viewing of TFA I found I liked it even better. Can't wait for blu ray to watch it again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally pre ordered this. Was holding out hope for a 3d version but haven't heard any details. Yes 3d is on its way out, but I finally found a movie I want it in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Any word on when then Plinkett review will be out?  I'm guessing a lot of folks will be woke then.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any word on when then Plinkett review will be out?  I'm guessing a lot of folks will be woke then.  
View Quote

Maybe they're waiting until the DVD/BR release when they have lots more usable footage to work with?

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Just watched the digital version and noticed something interesting.

When Rey is getting on the Falcon to go find Luke at the end, everyone is waving and saying goodbye.  C3PO is there and he is waving with his left arm and it is a gold arm, not a red arm like the previous appearances...  What's up with that?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
C3PO is there and he is waving with his left arm and it is a gold arm, not a red arm like the previous appearances...  What's up with that?
View Quote

Flesh....
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top