Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 235
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes he did but damn Cardale Jones went 3-0 in the 3 biggest games in the inaugural year of a 4 team playoff

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what scuttle-butt is coming out of OSU for the QB battle? Does either one have it locked up? I'd think the team would prefer Jones, no?  Do you go with who brought you to the dance? Or who brought you home from the dance?

Hmmmmm

Rumors are Barrett is leading. He is the best for for Meyers offense but when they changed things with Jones that offense was really good.

I think both will get some playing time. Barrett probably wins the starting job.

Barrett set a big 10 touchdown record last year, beating drew brees's mark.

Yes he did but damn Cardale Jones went 3-0 in the 3 biggest games in the inaugural year of a 4 team playoff

Not just went 3-0......he looked great doing it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

FSU took a team picture with Cook in it and without Cook in it. If Cook is in the playbook I am sure Jimbo isn't going to kick him off the team, of course if Cook is hammered in court then Jimbo doesn't have a choice right?

What are you hearing, the way commie ESPN reports it Cook punched a girl in the face a few times?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's just not allowed to practice with the team (which is Jimbo's call).  I would seriously think that he's been working out and doing reps of certain drills and going over the play book.  If he was smart.

We will most likely crush the first two games so he may get some 3/4 quarter reps.

FSU took a team picture with Cook in it and without Cook in it. If Cook is in the playbook I am sure Jimbo isn't going to kick him off the team, of course if Cook is hammered in court then Jimbo doesn't have a choice right?

What are you hearing, the way commie ESPN reports it Cook punched a girl in the face a few times?

Think of ESPN as the MSNBC of sports news, and the SEC is the democratic party. Nobody outside of the sec will get the same kid gloves they use on that conference.

The case should have already been dropped but Meggs likes the spotlight a little too much so he was trying to extend it to October. Judge saw the evidence from both sides and said "no sir" and grated Cook's request for a speedy trial and moved the date up to the 24th of August so this can be done and Meggs can move on to his next witch hunt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for keeping my brothers memory alive.  Garry was my younger brother Houston Husker
Larry Ribble
View Quote

It's an honor.

You know, in future threads we should do a quick bio of Garry and why we name the thread after him.  I'm sure a lot of the new guys probably may not remember.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's an honor.

You know, in future threads we should do a quick bio of Garry and why we name the thread after him.  I'm sure a lot of the new guys probably may not remember.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks guys for keeping my brothers memory alive.  Garry was my younger brother Houston Husker
Larry Ribble

It's an honor.

If someone will write it and PM it to me, I'll post it on Post #2 or Post #3 of this thread each year.  I can edit this year's posts as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's an honor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Ribble

It's an honor.

That would be great.  He was before my time.  I know the thread is in his honor because he was a good guy who enjoyed talking college football, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That would be great.  He was before my time.  I know the thread is in his honor because he was a good guy who enjoyed talking college football, but that's about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Ribble

It's an honor.

Same here. I just know the yearly thread as the annual Houston Husker College Football thread but I don't know much more about it than you do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Garry Stephen Ribble, 54, passed away at his home in Katy on August 7, 2010.

Garry was born December 1, 1955 in Indianapolis, Indiana. He spent his early years in Indiana, Denver and Omaha. He was a tremendous athlete and an all-state pitcher before hurting his shoulder. He attended the University of Nebraska in Omaha and was an avid football fan. He worked in the Medical Field and held various sales management positions. Garry had a tremendous personality, touched many lives, and will be greatly missed by his family and friends.
View Quote

This is from his Obituary.  Can someone add the relevant points about his love of college football and the Huskers?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is from his Obituary.  Can someone add the relevant points about his love of college football and the Huskers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Garry was born December 1, 1955 in Indianapolis, Indiana. He spent his early years in Indiana, Denver and Omaha. He was a tremendous athlete and an all-state pitcher before hurting his shoulder. He attended the University of Nebraska in Omaha and was an avid football fan. He worked in the Medical Field and held various sales management positions. Garry had a tremendous personality, touched many lives, and will be greatly missed by his family and friends.

Perfect.  Throw in his Arfcom membership dates and his contribution to these threads as well.  I've IM'd Larry to see if we can get a pic of Garry in a Huskers jersey or shirt.

EDIT: something along the lines of:

Garry was a prolific poster during his time on AR15 from December 2004 up until his passing.  He was known to often engage in many threads in General Discussion from politics, to shooting sports, to our 2A rights, and of course College Football.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Perfect.  Throw in his Arfcom membership dates and his contribution to these threads as well.  I've IM'd Larry to see if we can get a pic of Garry in a Huskers jersey or shirt.

Garry was a prolific poster during his time on AR15 from December 2004 up until his passing.  He was known to often engage in many threads in General Discussion from politics, to shooting sports, to our 2A rights, and of course College Football.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would make a fine memorial.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Larry Ribble
View Quote

Log out and back in, you need to find yourself an Avatar

This thread is consistently one of the best on AR15.com every year.  If you're a big college football fan, feel free to join the fray of good-natured trash talk!
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This thread is consistently one of the best on AR15.com every year.  If you're a big college football fan, feel free to join the fray of good-natured trash talk!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Ribble

Well played sir.  Good on you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Post #2 updated.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
John Chavis (new Texas A&M defensive coordinator) had some interesting comments today.

Team a lot stronger than it was at the end of spring season. ...Would take ends Garrett, Hall and Cunningham & play anywhere.  A&M has 2 of best defensive ends in college football in Myles Garrett & Daeshon Hall.

Chavis watched every snap last season multiple times. Said he didn't study scheme but examined how the players would fit into his scheme. #TAMU's Chavis: Philosophy is "play the run w numbers & rush passer w speed. Never gonna sacrifice speed for size" in building roster

Chavis: We are as talented right now as we were when I took over at Tennessee and at LSU. It's not a lack of talent.
View Quote

When asked about coming to coach at A&M:

There was a lot of factors. It's the commitment that you could see. Obviously very impressed with Coach Sumlin and I want to make this statement: I'm as excited as I could be to be a part of his staff and the Aggie Family. That was big part of it: Coach Sumlin. I had the opportunity to play in this stadium two of the last three years and there were classy fans and I was impressed. I left both times thinking that if I ever had a chance to coach at Texas A&M, that'd be a great place to coach. And you see the commitment they've made to the facilities.
View Quote

If our offense can stay as good as it has been the last few years and we can add a defense that can make even a couple big stops a game....well, let's put it this way.  2 loses last year were by 7 points.  Even a marginally improved defense capable of stopping the other guys even one more time, and it could have easily been a 10-3 season last year instead of 8-5.  

Same-ish story for 2013:  9-4 overall, 3 of those loses were by 7 pints or less.  The only one by more was when we played a Chavis coached defense who shut A&M's offense down.

A Kevin Sumlin offense paired with a Chavis defense could easily be a playoff team in a year or two.  And should be capable of a much better record than 8-5 this year.

I'm getting excited.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Larry Ribble
View Quote

Always.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's an honor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Ribble

It's an honor.

Care to share with me?

ETA: should have read down further.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Post #2 updated.
View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm getting excited.  

View Quote

I think you have every right to be. The way they started last year showed me the potential.  They obviously fell apart but it wasn't exactly a train wreck.  The wheels just got a little wobbly without completely coming off. All things that can be fixed with good coaching.

I really think they will be on their way to dominating in the next 2-5 years depending on the level of success with recruiting.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
For Bama I think either Derrick Henry or Kenyan Drake............no telling how he would have done had he not gotten hurt, but he is 100 % now

Quoted:
Name a player you think will impact the season. Not just one game, but someone who will be a crucial part of the team. Obviously doesn't have to be a heisman caliber player (as that is almost as much politics as it is talent).

For FSU I think it will be Jalen Ramsey. Kid is hungry and just waiting to tear up receivers and make game changing plays.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you have every right to be. The way they started last year showed me the potential.  They obviously fell apart but it wasn't exactly a train wreck.  The wheels just got a little wobbly without completely coming off. All things that can be fixed with good coaching.

I really think they will be on their way to dominating in the next 2-5 years depending on the level of success with recruiting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm getting excited.  

Recruiting has been going pretty well.  But even so, if Chavis doesn't think the talent is the issue, should start to see improvements this year and the next regardless.  

Had the 26th best scoring offense last season, but were tied for 75th best scoring defense.  

We're returning 8 starters on both sides of the ball and last years team was very young and inexperienced (I hate when people pull that comment out, but we did have a lot of true and red shirt freshman getting lots of snaps).

I'm not ready to say they're going to challenge for the SEC championship game this year, but they should be much improved.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm not ready to say they're going to challenge for the SEC championship game this year, but they should be much improved.

View Quote

No, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did. Look at the fights they put up in the first 5 games. The Bama loss was more mental than anything. I don't think they went in believing they could win, and that's a coaching failure. 59-0 shouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow this was super painful to watch. Actually thought this was an FSU fan making fun of the gators but this is legit FU fan, complete with greasy white trash mullet.

(For those that don't know, the white trash jorts and tank top mullet head is an accurate stereotype)

I love the comment "who makes a rap video after 26 losses in five years?"

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/8/14/9155227/hilariously-awful-florida-gators-rap-video?_ga=1.253552073.1522995892.1337056212
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wow this was super painful to watch. Actually thought this was an FSU fan making fun of the gators but this is legit FU fan, complete with greasy white trash mullet.

(For those that don't know, the white trash jorts and tank top mullet head is an accurate stereotype)

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/8/14/9155227/hilariously-awful-florida-gators-rap-video?_ga=1.253552073.1522995892.1337056212
View Quote

Fucking white people

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fake.

Didnt see jorts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every.Damn.One.Of.Them.

Monk
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fake.

Didnt see jorts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake.

Didnt see jorts.

I didn't know you were a Rapping Lawyer.

Monk
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fake.

Didnt see jorts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake.

Didnt see jorts.

I'm sure he was wearing them when he was swimming.  Standard WT swimwear
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Any Hokies on the board?

Was at Virginia Tech last week. While there I checked out the stadium and what not. Three things that I found pretty interesting. 1: No lottery for student tickets, apparently very easy to get tickets for any game. 2: Student ticket location determined by GPA. The better your GPA, the better seat you get.... holy shit that would have been awesome in Gainesville. 3: Stadium is completely open during spring/fall practice.

I'm not super sure 3 is true, some folks I randomly met at the stadium said this was the case. I got in there without any issue though, just not during a practice cuz I was off doing what I was supposed to be doing while up there.

I really liked the look of the campus. Reminded me of a civil war army fort. Very different looking than a standard campus.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
2: Student ticket location determined by GPA. The better your GPA, the better seat you get.... holy shit that would have been awesome in Gainesville..
View Quote

Damn that's crazy.  I know there are a couple of Hokies who post in GD, but don't think I've ever seen them in this thread specifically.

I've always liked Va Tech....seems to be fairly similar to A&M in a lot of ways.  Would love for them and one more to come on over to the SEC.  They'd be an awesome cross division rivalry for us.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any Hokies on the board?

Was at Virginia Tech last week. While there I checked out the stadium and what not. Three things that I found pretty interesting.

1: No lottery for student tickets, apparently very easy to get tickets for any game. .
View Quote

That's how it was at A&M when I was there.  You bought a sports pass when you registered for classes.  Then you used that pass to pull your ticket at the ticket office at the stadium every home game week. Seniors and grad students pulled one day, juniors the next, and so on.  No lottery.  

It always seemed weird to me that students at other schools didn't get to go to every home game....then again not very many schools give a whole side of the stadium to the students.

My wife went to Baylor.  They only had to show their student ID at the gate to be let in on game day. No ticket or anything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
we had to camp out at FSU to get tickets.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They changed the system for getting tickets each year I was there. Now they have an point system based on seniority and campus involvement, the more points you have the earlier window you have to go online to get a ticket. Also there are no more assigned seats, the whole student section is general admission, get there early for closer seats, but then that cuts down on tailgating time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
That's how it was at A&M when I was there.  You bought a sports pass when you registered for classes.  Then you used that pass to pull your ticket at the ticket office at the stadium every home game week. Seniors and grad students pulled one day, juniors the next, and so on.  No lottery.  

It always seemed weird to me that students at other schools didn't get to go to every home game....then again not very many schools give a whole side of the stadium to the students.

My wife went to Baylor.  They only had to show their student ID at the gate to be let in on game day. No ticket or anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any Hokies on the board?

Was at Virginia Tech last week. While there I checked out the stadium and what not. Three things that I found pretty interesting.

1: No lottery for student tickets, apparently very easy to get tickets for any game. .

Was that back in the day (and the eventual return of the day) where they were lucky to get 5,000 people in the stadium?

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]
At one time I thought it would be Va Tech in the East and Mizzou in the West

Quoted:

Damn that's crazy.  I know there are a couple of Hokies who post in GD, but don't think I've ever seen them in this thread specifically.

I've always liked Va Tech....seems to be fairly similar to A&M in a lot of ways.  Would love for them and one more to come on over to the SEC.  They'd be an awesome cross division rivalry for us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2: Student ticket location determined by GPA. The better your GPA, the better seat you get.... holy shit that would have been awesome in Gainesville..

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Ribble

Niceeeee.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They changed the system for getting tickets each year I was there. Now they have an point system based on seniority and campus involvement, the more points you have the earlier window you have to go online to get a ticket. Also there are no more assigned seats, the whole student section is general admission, get there early for closer seats, but then that cuts down on tailgating time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, we always had to pool our tickets with whatever sorority we were with that weekend to get a block.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was that back in the day (and the eventual return of the day) where they were lucky to get 5,000 people in the stadium?  
View Quote

Yeah...she was their during the Kevin Steele years..   It was still like that (students just walk up to the gate and are let in) for the last few under Briles (don't know how it is now)
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Huh, we always had to pool our tickets with whatever sorority we were with that weekend to get a block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how it was my freshman year, then they went through a few other weird methods. I guess now to get good seats one could have pledges get their early to save a row,
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Getting closer ...

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone else nervous about injuries?

Seems like the Noles have several on some key players.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Getting closer ...

View Quote

That is a great shot!

Monk
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

A&M has a starting linebacker hurt...  At least it is only one and the defense will likely be in mostly nickel packages against ASU.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm more concerned with the Dalvin Cook situation, and how the QB competition will shake out.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm more concerned with the Dalvin Cook situation, and how the QB competition will shake out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reports say it's still a wide open race but I think  Golson will have the job and Sean will fill in when needed.

As far as Dalvin, trust me from my professional experience when I tell you he will suit up on Sept 5th. The case is beyond garbage. But he won't have the reps in practice and that's one of the positions that we have injured players (Pender).

Got two players getting their knees scoped this week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A&M has a starting linebacker hurt...  At least it is only one and the defense will likely be in mostly nickel packages against ASU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read we may be adjusting some of the packages to account for injuries as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hadn't heard that, who?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hadn't heard that, who?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hadn't heard that, who?

Alaka is supposedly out for a few weeks.  4 star OB sophomore who played quite a bit last year

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Alaka is supposedly out for a few weeks.  4 star OB sophomore who played quite a bit last year

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hadn't heard that, who?

Not Boom-Shock-Alaka?! Damn...
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hadn't heard that, who?

I heard dislocated elbow.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Ran across this old school TAMU mascot Ol’ Sarge

Monk
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ran across this old school TAMU mascot Ol’ Sarge

Monk
View Quote

Jesus christ.

That's some nightmare fuel right there.
Page / 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top