Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you see that a U boat was found recently?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/finnish_diver_finds_sub_from_wwii/8312584
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
Interesting update.

Just did some measuring of our two halves, and it equals 29ft and some change; not the 28ft that it should be given our blue prints.  
Pretty sure I know how this happened.   Someone can't read a tape measure, and a teacher didn't double check.  

We also are about 1.03% wider too.   This I knew might happen, given the ribbing.    

I guess it's not that big of deal, we just grew roughly 1% all the way around, but we are going to need that entire display area.   At an angle coming down, and also diagonally, we should be good, but it might making finding beams in the ceiling in the right areas a little more challenging.  
View Quote

Have it hitting a mine and sinking in two pieces?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Interesting update.

Just did some measuring of our two halves, and it equals 29ft and some change; not the 28ft that it should be given our blue prints.  
Pretty sure I know how this happened.   Someone can't read a tape measure, and a teacher didn't double check.  

We also are about 1.03% wider too.   This I knew might happen, given the ribbing.    

I guess it's not that big of deal, we just grew roughly 1% all the way around, but we are going to need that entire display area.   At an angle coming down, and also diagonally, we should be good, but it might making finding beams in the ceiling in the right areas a little more challenging.  

Heh.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

Interesting update.

That's a hell of an idea right there, especially since they will have the mines to hang up.  It's also a great way to explain any imperfections...just blame it on the 'splosion.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By guns762:  Interesting update.

View Quote

If she's diving, you're going to have a helluva time matching up the bow and stern if you don't bolt her together before she's hoisted.  It would be difficult to get her straight in the air were she level.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By backbencher:
If she's diving, you're going to have a helluva time matching up the bow and stern if you don't bolt her together before she's hoisted.  It would be difficult to get her straight in the air were she level.
View All Quotes

I wonder if a couple of built-in guide rods would help?  I'm thinking 3 feet or so of PVC pipe on one half, and wooden dowels on the other side.  That way if they can get the two halves in close enough alignment to get the dowels into the pipes, they would true up the structure as it's drawn together.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:

I wonder if a couple of built-in guide rods would help?  I'm thinking 3 feet or so of PVC pipe on one half, and wooden dowels on the other side.  That way if they can get the two halves in close enough alignment to get the dowels into the pipes, they would true up the structure as it's drawn together.

View All Quotes

Seems like a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

We've done this with the dragon, so I know it's possible, but we are thinking of doing the guide rod thing with 1x2s
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Guns,

great work going on there.  I've followed your other builds as well.  My wife is a H.S. Biology and Chemistry teacher. Their mascot is Vikings, she is really digging the viking ship and is going to share it with her principle and art department.  She was very glad to see the rubric, said it would make it a little easier selling it.

I honestly don't know how you get the time to do this stuff, my wife's school is a level 5 school, the teachers put in so much extra time planning, meeting, professional development and all that other crap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting update.

View Quote

I'll bet they measured BETWEEN the frame sections, and not from one to the next. That would explain the growth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

I'll bet they measured BETWEEN the frame sections, and not from one to the next. That would explain the growth.
View All Quotes
Interesting update.

My suggestion also. I bet they didn't lay it out on centers, but in between ribs and so each rib (1/2" ply?) has added to your OAL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Update 9/17
Someone wanted to see more detail on what we are skinning the boat with.  Here's a side view of some of the drawing boards we are using.  

We had lots of mistakes and reworks on t he skin today.  Those darn pontoon shapes on the side are a real bitch.  The rest won't be so bad, but it was pissing me off.   My students about had a mutiny after about the 6th time of starting over.  

Tomorrow, they just might throw me out as I took off half of the skin again at the end of the day as it just sucked.

I snapped this shot of some student math work on the board trying to find out the length of a triangle as we were building the internal frame.    

More detail of the conning tower.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#14]
Continued update.
I like you folks' idea of the key mod attachment.  We decided to use pegs to attach the conning tower so it can be removed for detail work and then easily reatrached.  Here is what they did.  They traced where the top of the boat touched the bottom of the tower, then traced around it to line up four 1x2 pegs.  Then they cut out the holes.

First couple holes.

The four attached pegs.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Interesting update.

Naaah, they measured out 15'8" instead of 14'8" on the main beam.  Or they laid it out, then forgot to cut it to length before we started putting the frames on.  

Really not a big deal as it matches the width and height in scale.    I considered splicing, but it would just be to compromising to the look of rigidity by any outide safety experts, it's not worth it.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Guns,

This is what made America great.

We had male and female teenagers making REAL ships, submarines, tanks, vehicles, and everything else during WWII.

You are keeping that dream alive for these youngsters, Bro.

I salute you again!

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Update 9/18

Here is a better picture of our one of the four anchors.  Need to snip off the end of the bolt if we can get the bolt cutters in there.  If not, dremel time.
[

The sea mines coming along.

The skin.    What a pain in the ass, but I think we've figured out how to do this without it looking too shabby.   A little paint and some details, and it should start to look ok.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you thought about balsa wood for the panels?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:
View Quote

I considered a lot of things, Dan, but we are limited in our ability to find a quantity of what we need for a price we can afford.     I still think this is probably the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]

I considered a lot of things, Dan, but we are limited in our ability to find a quantity of what we need for a price we can afford.     I still think this is probably the way to go.
View All Quotes

Do you think the seams are going to be a problem?  You might be able to fill the gaps with sheetrock plaster and then sand it all smooth before you paint it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Would the skinning be easier if you used something more pliable, like maybe newspaper, to get the initial shape then use it as a stencil for your actual skinning material?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:
Would the skinning be easier if you used something more pliable, like maybe newspaper, to get the initial shape then use it as a stencil for your actual skinning material?
View Quote

It went pretty quick this morning, once we just started placing pieces up there, stapling one side, then trimming to fit.    

My worry is durability, but it will probably be ok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Great progress.  Any thought given to having a torpedo launching from one of the front tubes?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:

Great progress.  Any thought given to having a torpedo launching from one of the front tubes?

http://www.subart.net/torpedoes_away.jpg
View Quote

I think it'd be cool with some kind of media painted up to look like the cavitation trail behind the torpedo.  Sounds like space is the major issue though.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#25]

It went pretty quick this morning, once we just started placing pieces up there, stapling one side, then trimming to fit.    

View All Quotes

Good point. You're going to need some kind of anchor points for handholds, or put your supports on wheels for transport. I can already see someone putting a hand through the skin while trying to move that beast.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#26]
Interesting update.

View Quote

Sounds like maybe someone didn't include bulkhead thickness in their measurements?

ETA: Just read the post above explaining it. At least you got lucky with the length to width scaling nicely.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Update 9/18.2

More on the mines.   We should have 5 when we are done.  

Here's what the skin looks like after more work today.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#28]
Do you think the seams are going to be a problem?  You might be able to fill the gaps with sheetrock plaster and then sand it all smooth before you paint it.

View All Quotes

I like this idea, and will keep it in the back of my mind.  Only thing I can see going wrong is if we get some flex moving it, it might crack and look like shit.

We started trimming over the gaps and they don't look too bad.  There are supposed to be seams, so I'm hoping these end up helping the look a little.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It's a possibility,  but probably not a moving part, just coming out of the tube if we do it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#30]

Good point. You're going to need some kind of anchor points for handholds, or put your supports on wheels for transport. I can already see someone putting a hand through the skin while trying to move that beast.  

View All Quotes

I took pictures of our stands with coasters on them so we can roll each part down the hallway, but I seem to have deleted it by accident.  

We will just have to be careful lifting it up on the lift.  The custodian checked the beams today and says we should have easy access to the angles we need .  Thats good.  Beams every 6 feet or so.  We will be able to hang this on the diagonal like we want.  

If we had a couple  engine hoists around we could easily use our hangers to lift this thing up and roll it down the hall or where ever we want to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Update 9/18.2

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5732/20902483603_2e9e0c0f5e_b.jpg

View Quote

Guy on the wall is checking your work and thinking one of the submariner's sayings "long and black and don't come back".
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

That would have been so cool to fiberglass the body, add main tanks and R/C it. That would look so cool at my lake surfacing....
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dog1:

That would have been so cool to fiberglass the body, add main tanks and R/C it. That would look so cool at my lake surfacing....

It would be awesome to fiberglass the whole thing.  Uhhhgg.  Just don't see how we could do it right with the fumes and all, and I'd bet it'd be way too heavy to be allowed to be hung.  Would be so cool though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#34]
You could use thin Sintra as a skin? It's easily cut and heat formable. Heat guns make it plenty pliable...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#35]

I think it'd be cool with some kind of media painted up to look like the cavitation trail behind the torpedo.  Sounds like space is the major issue though.  

View All Quotes

It would be cool too if the walls and ceiling could be painted like the pic above.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By parshooter:

It would be cool too if the walls and ceiling could be painted like the pic above.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5787/20821535546_88ec9641e9_b.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By parshooter:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5787/20821535546_88ec9641e9_b.jpg

That's a lot of paint.......  

But, it would be cool.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#37]
The mines look good.

Tell us more about the skin and how you guys overcame the problem of applying it to the ballast tanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#38]

I like this idea, and will keep it in the back of my mind.  Only thing I can see going wrong is if we get some flex moving it, it might crack and look like shit.

We started trimming over the gaps and they don't look too bad.  There are supposed to be seams, so I'm hoping these end up helping the look a little.

View All Quotes

Good point about the cracking.  I'll bet paintable silicone caulk would work, and the bead would even look like a weld seam.  The problem is that it would get pretty expensive if you needed to use a lot of it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
The mines look good.

Tell us more about the skin and how you guys overcame the problem of applying it to the ballast tanks.
View Quote

Easiest explanation is we put an oversized piece on the area, then stapled the center area first, then worked to the outside corners.  

Or, we messed up a freak'en lot till it worked.

If you imagine a piece of paper roled to a funnel, we had to twist each piece in that way to get it to be relatively flat on the area.  You can't just lay a flat edge up against the top of the ballast.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Good point about the cracking.  I'll bet paintable silicone caulk would work, and the bead would even look like a weld seam.  The problem is that it would get pretty expensive if you needed to use a lot of it.

View Quote

We are using hot glue right now too.  It will help for small areas.  Most of them should be able to be covered by the trim pieces.  That is kind of why I like this drawing board.  It's easy to sculpt with too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Incorporate the anchor points into the construction now, and only ever lift it (and hang it) from those points.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#42]

It's a possibility,  but probably not a moving part, just coming out of the tube if we do it.
View All Quotes

Small bubble trail would really look cool.

So would a depth charge coming down...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Thought about ultracote or another of the model airplane skins?  You basically iron it on at the seams and edges, then shrink it with hot air.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

Thought about ultracote or another of the model airplane skins?  You basically iron it on at the seams and edges, then shrink it with hot air.

View Quote

Yes, and also just plain old canvas like we did on the bike plane, but it will shrink around the ribbing and look wierd.  It would be easy to install, but just wouldn't be right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#45]
It's beautiful, guns.  We all envy you.  Of all the ARFCOMMERS in the world, only one goes to work every morning w/ a submarine under construction in his office.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranxerox911] [#46]
Guns -

The video below explains a technique used in boat building to match the edges of planking when building a boat.  It's called spiling (rhymes with "piling"); I have also used it to match edges of hull panels when constructing aluminum boats.  Hopefully, it isn't too involved for you and your kids to use.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Screw on the submarine should spin.  
Have you considered a flex drive? your torque requirements are minimum.  Install the DC converter and motor outside the sub (wall?)  run flex cable inside and drive the screw.  Properly angled (sub body blocks view) you will not be able to see the power devices.
For lights LED are sufficiently low power if unacceptable, optical fibers should do the job. or have small spotlights shining on pertinent reflective surfaces.

This company appears to do a nice job syncing souns and lights:

wowlights
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
If you have sounds the sonar ping (from a destroyer) is required. From the sub's perspective they only heard one not the

double in the movies. After all they are on the receiving end. The ping that haunts you and searches and searches until

it finds you.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#49]
While you are skinning that, imaging doing that with a couple of inches of err Krupp's finest steel
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CarbineDad:
While you are skinning that, imaging doing that with a couple of inches of err Krupp's finest steel
View Quote

I had several students who were pissed we weren't using roofing tin.  I asked them on Friday if they would still like to use it.  Then reminded them we still had to cut a million little holes and details in it.

They would have all had bloody little stumps by the end of it, and the boat would weigh about 1000 lbs.  

Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top