Going to need a bigger page 2
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Lifeless eyes, like dolls eye's, my favorite quote of the movie
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were one of the last to ride the Jaws ride at Universal. We did not even know it was the last day when we got on it. Later that day, they gave out gifts to those last few.
View Quote

damn... I rode that as a kid... prolly 35 years ago.

saddens me that a great movie like that is no longer relevant enough to inspire a ride.

I old

do they still have the parting of the Red Sea?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw it as a kid in the theaters, 3rd grade I think. That Christmas, at the school class Christmas gift exchange, the hot toy was the 10" or so rubber shark. (yes, a public school)
I didn't get one.

I did get that Jaws game where you had to pick out as much stuff you could out of the sharks mouth before it snapped shut. That was pretty cool back then.

ETA: got the 25th anniversary edition DVD now. Watch it at least once a year.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched it at a friends house yesterday and we had the exact same conversation.  We had fun pointing out things in the movie from when we grew up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Shark horror movies today with all the fake, crappy CGI are almost unwatchable compared to a 70's live action, mechanic shark. We've gained technology and make worse movies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've heard a story about SS stumbling on a photo in National Geographic which partly inspired the film

I think it was this photo.
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/cms/binary/5590089.jpg?size=620x400

View Quote

SS stumbled on a novel by Peter Benchley that inspired the film. Then he stumbled on Rolly Harper's Motion Picture & Equipment Rental which built the mechanical sharks that mostly didn't work and forced the crew to rework the story away from the shark attack blood fest and turn it into a story with memorable characters.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's the beauty of the slow incremental loss of freedom-ya just don't notice it.

Each generation loses some,and the next generation doesn't even realize it's gone,since they grew up without it.

Smoking everywhere,no seatbelt laws,no helmet laws,etc...........

I'm sure after the 2016 election we'll start trending back to smaller government and more individual freedom....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's the beauty of the slow incremental loss of freedom-ya just don't notice it.

Each generation loses some,and the next generation doesn't even realize it's gone,since they grew up without it.

I'm sure after the 2016 election we'll start trending back to smaller government and more individual freedom....

Those things all changed for good reason
Societies views changed on those issues, just as socities views evolve on just about any issue you can think of.
Quoted:
Shark horror movies today with all the fake, crappy CGI are almost unwatchable compared to a 70's live action, mechanic shark. We've gained technology and make worse movies.

You had to have the funds to build and operate the shark back then, which means you had the budget based on having a decent script
Now its to the point where a nerd in his basement could probably whip up a shark in CGI and throw it into the middle of just about any film.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Hooper drives the boat Chief.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's to swimming with bow-legged women.    Might be considered hate speech today.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The movie was already 16 years old by the time I was born, but it's probably my favorite. I too have wondered about the fate of the M1 Quint and Brody used. As a gun enthusiast and a huge Jaws fan, that would be a sweet piece to have.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lifeless eyes, like dolls eye's, my favorite quote of the movie
View Quote

It's a reference to the Maxa xack...the evil ones in the waters.

The greatest fears, are those of the dangers of that which we do not, and cannot control.

Even back then, the local lore, had influence over the new people.
The truth of it, riveted everyone, and still does.

Those were simpler times, with fewer distractions from the truth.
Everybody is still fish food, and the Maxa Xack is still there.

That is why the movie is still riveting, and timeless.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

saddens me that a great movie like that is no longer relevant enough to inspire a ride.

I old

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We were one of the last to ride the Jaws ride at Universal. We did not even know it was the last day when we got on it. Later that day, they gave out gifts to those last few.

I old

And keep 'em up!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep!!!

CGI is bullshit.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I watched that movie at the base theater in Terrijon AB Spain when I was just a kid...scared the piss outta me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What was his name?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I lost my virginity while watching Jaws

What was his name?

Bruce?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]
My kid went to school as Cheif Brody this year during Halloween week.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't care what kind of tv you have or what sound system to go with it , a movie like this needs to be seen for the first time in a regular movie house.

The emotion and reaction of the crowd adds to the whole thing in a big way.

Yeah , I get a kick out of watching it every now and then but the first showing I saw when it was a new hot movie that packed the house with folks who were watching it for the first time was really something .

By today's standards the special effects were a bit lame but at the time it was scary as hell

I have on purpose never watched any of the sequels as I thought they would only mess with my feelings for the original .

The summer after it came out I spent a week with some friends at a state park/beach campground out nearly to the end of long island . I had been to this beach every summer for 4 or 5 years and there was hardly anyone in the water . Shark fear was a real thing .

Great movie!
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's just a movie. They made up the story the night before while drinking heavily. At least they got the year right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

The USS Indianapolis went down on July 30. Quint was a fucking poser, stolen valor POS.  
It's just a movie. They made up the story the night before while drinking heavily. At least they got the year right.

Howard Sackler put that bit in the script. The Indianapolis story was recently declassified in 1974. John Milius expanded Sacklers idea to 9 pages of script. That's 9 minutes of screen time. Robert Shaw himself, who was an accomplished writer, pared it down to what you saw in the film.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Societies views changed on those issues, just as socities views evolve on just about any issue you can think of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I.m shocked,shocked that you would be the one to come out in favor of more rules/laws/regulations/etc............
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, I.m shocked,shocked that you would be the one to come out in favor of more rules/laws/regulations/etc............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the movies I can watch over and over(wife hates it??) it just never gets old, even though film making has come a long way since then it still just never gets old.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought it a few years ago in the Walmart $5 bin. It was the first time I'd seen it in years.

I noticed the same things but was amazed how well the story, special effects and film stood up. A true American Classic.
View Quote

yeah its amazing when you go back and look at the makings of the films and find out that the directors are hacks who just got damn lucky.

Jaws would have been terrible had the prop shark not looked retarded so it was largely unseen and way more menacing i wish more filmmakers would realize the monster you just barely catch glimpses of is way more terrifying than any prop.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I watched it at a drive in theater.
It kept me out of the water for over 3 years.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I wonder where that rifle is now?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy Schieder used his own Garand for the climactic scene. Speilberg told him go go home and get his gun.
I wonder where that rifle is now?

Epic, but tragic boating accident.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I saw in an interview, Robert Shaw would bring a bottle of whiskey out on the Orca for the night scenes offshore.  One night he looked over at Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfus and grumbled "I wish I could stop drinking."
Dreyfus replied "No problem," and chucked the bottle overboard.  Shaw flipped out and had to be kept out of arms reach of Dreyfus for the rest of the night shoot, which Shaw had to perform dry.

Apparently Shaw HATED Dreyfus.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw it in the theaters as well.   Scared the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Apparently Shaw HATED Dreyfus.
View Quote

I could see that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slow ahead... I can go slow ahead. Come on down here and chum some of this shit!

ETA: relevant quote.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yeah its amazing when you go back and look at the makings of the films and find out that the directors are hacks who just got damn lucky.

Jaws would have been terrible had the prop shark not looked retarded so it was largely unseen and way more menacing i wish more filmmakers would realize the monster you just barely catch glimpses of is way more terrifying than any prop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought it a few years ago in the Walmart $5 bin. It was the first time I'd seen it in years.

I noticed the same things but was amazed how well the story, special effects and film stood up. A true American Classic.

Yep,nothing beats the human brain as far as imagination goes.

That's why I have always liked books-I can imagine way worse crap than Hollywood can show.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Roy Schieder used his own Garand for the climactic scene. Speilberg told him go go home and get his gun.
View Quote

Fast forward to 2016:
"Roy, go home and get your radio."
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
It's one of the best movies of all time.

Robert Shaw, all around but his telling of his experiences after the USS Indianapolis was sunk was nothing short of powerful.  

Richard Dreyfus, probably his best performance ever and about the only one I liked.  He was perfectly irritating for the role.

Roy Scheider just all around great performance.  "Smile, you son of a bitch!"

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Id never noticed the meteor in the background until just now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I lost my virginity while watching Jaws
View Quote

How long did it take before you could sit on your bicycle again?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a sign that was on Quint's shack,maybe I should put it up in the EE for the cost of a box of .22? Grossman Zendar Shark Seekers is a tip of the hat to the stunt coordinator and underwater stunt man.

My summer house is in "Amity",Brody's Blazer still lives there,halfassed phone pic of it driving by

We go kayaking on the SHARK IN THE POND!!! pond

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Watched in on the big screen this past summer in Tallahassee for the 40th anniversary. There were people in the audience who were genuinely scared during the movie. I felt it really did stand the test of time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
"I can go slow ahead. Why don't you come down here and chum some of this shit?..."
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#39]
You owe yourself these 3 minutes

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#40]
With Hollywood ruining classic franchises with reboots, surprised they haven't tried to reboot this one.

Would have too much CGI, a minority female PETA character telling Quint the shark is just misunderstood and replace the Garand with a flare gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a sign that was on Quint's shack,maybe I should put it up in the EE for the cost of a box of .22? Grossman Zendar Shark Seekers is a tip of the hat to the stunt coordinator and underwater stunt man.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/A454C935-6388-444B-AB52-EAD5DC950C57.jpg

My summer house is in "Amity",Brody's Blazer still lives there,halfassed phone pic of it driving by
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/blurgh/F7B6B67D-6DA4-43BF-AE8C-C1B822E539B1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BF3F5266-29DF-4317-BE43-9282F251828D-5152-0000042ADD7F1837_zps0d746961.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, I have a few pieces of the ORCA... The one that was beached in Menemsha. I have been swimming in shark in the pond, pond and had to jump off of the bridge when I was a kid. We have timeshare there now but I miss our summer house up-island. If you are there in the summer, or October, PM me. Maybe we can meet up for a beer or go fishing. Our boat is stored there year round.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
With Hollywood ruining classic franchises with reboots, surprised they haven't tried to reboot this one.

Would have too much CGI, a minority female PETA character telling Quint the shark is just misunderstood and replace the Garand with a flare gun.
View Quote

LMAO, all of that is so spot on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/A454C935-6388-444B-AB52-EAD5DC950C57.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/blurgh/F7B6B67D-6DA4-43BF-AE8C-C1B822E539B1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BF3F5266-29DF-4317-BE43-9282F251828D-5152-0000042ADD7F1837_zps0d746961.jpg
View Quote

Neat!
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I old

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I old

DUDE...
Me and my new wife were one of the first. It wasn't even open.
The park staff needed to test it.

THEY ASKED US !!

When the gas pump got knocked off the dock, and squirted gas into the water...
IT EXPLODED !

And all the hair got burnt off my arm.
They asked us what we thought ?

I told them, Tone down the fire !
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's your flare gun. From Jaws 2.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I watched the making of it a while back.  In one of the scenes with the shark cage they used a midget in a scaled down cage with a real shark swimming around it in order to make the shark look bigger.  I thought that was pretty funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the making of it a while back.  In one of the scenes with the shark cage they used a midget in a scaled down cage with a real shark swimming around it in order to make the shark look bigger.  I thought that was pretty funny.

That's the scene where the shark gets tangled in the rigging on top of the miniature cage,  they almost lost their midget
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#48]
if Jaws were a Disney movie. link

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've heard a story about SS stumbling on a photo in National Geographic which partly inspired the film

I think it was this photo.
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/cms/binary/5590089.jpg?size=620x400

View Quote

I ain't got no spit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good deals on guns?!?!?!?????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gunshows in Ft Worth in the early 90s you could smoke and buy beer and get good deals on guns

Good deals on guns?!?!?!?????

Not really.  It was pre-Internet, so you just didn't realize how bad you were getting screwed.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top