Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the fox.  I have one male that walks around with his tail straight up in the air.  Proud.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
They make a fucking awesome sound at night.  

Sounds like its from a horror movie.   Hold on (googling....)... ah, here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

We moved into this neighborhood and the wife went on the deck to watch the stars with a cocktail and came hightailing it in at double speed:

"There's something fucking scary out there!"

good times
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like its from a horror movie.   Hold on (googling....)... ah, here ya go:

We moved into this neighborhood and the wife went on the deck to watch the stars with a cocktail and came hightailing it in at double speed:

good times
View Quote

Hunh.   I think you just ID'ed the thing that screamed at me in the woods one night when I was walking out from my deer stand.  

Damn thing freaked-me-right-the-fuck-out.   I shined my headlamp in the direction of the scream, stomped my foot on the ground, puffed up and hollered "Fuck you!!" at it, and then double timed it out of the woods.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hunh.   I think you just ID'ed the thing that screamed at me in the woods one night when I was walking out from my deer stand.  

Damn thing freaked-me-right-the-fuck-out.   I shined my headlamp in the direction of the scream, stomped my foot on the ground, puffed up and hollered "Fuck you!!" at it, and then double timed it out of the woods.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good times

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you for that
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm completely naive here, but I never associated Foxes with America

We have a couple different species in the states - Grey and Red - and in most areas there are more foxes than people realize.

Thank you for that
Above the arctic circle, Prudoe bay, Coville, you will occasionally see a black fox.  

AK Fish and Game introduced them years ago to try to cut down on rabies which the arctic foxes are predisposed to.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alone in the woods at night, something 10 or twenty feet off the side of the trail screams at you, something that sounds like a cross between a cat, a baby and owl, and makes the hair on your arms stand up . . . well, you got to do something.

I figured that there aren't too many animals in Ohio that wouldn't back off from a bluff, but when you can't see whatever it was and have no idea what it was based on the sound it made, you're imagination gets going.

Coulda been a dang samsquantch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I seen one twice in one week about a mile from my house a few years back, haven't seen him since, I have coyotes pretty local as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

good times

I live in a subdivision ~5 miles outside Philly and a few years ago one let out a distress call outside by bedroom window at about 0300. Everyone in the house was awake instantly. I think I levitated off my bed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They will eat your garden vegetables.  We have one living over in the cove next to the neighborhood where I live.  The man who fixed my A/C has been fighting to keep them out of his garden.
View Quote
I've never heard of that before. I would have thought that they would benefit vegetable gardeners by chowing down on rabbits.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Alone in the woods at night, something 10 or twenty feet off the side of the trail screams at you, something that sounds like a cross between a cat, a baby and owl, and makes the hair on your arms stand up . . . well, you got to do something.

I figured that there aren't too many animals in Ohio that wouldn't back off from a bluff, but when you can't see whatever it was and have no idea what it was based on the sound it made, you're imagination gets going.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL yep, it's scary as hell if you don't know what it is, and you damn sure wouldn't expect THAT NOISE to come out of a fox!  My back yard drops off pretty fast into a deep ravine with a nice little stream running through it, they love to screw around down there, especially when the weather is nice.  I've heard all of these down there:

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't laughing at you so much as I was laughing with you...believe me, I understand where you were coming from. I also heard, on two separate instances, a shriek from some unknown something in the woods that turned my blood to ice in my veins and damn near stopped my heart.

I just got a kick out of the mental image of a outdoorsy guy puffing himself up and stomping his foot at the underbrush and defiantly yelling "fuck off!" before skedaddling--I myself was too freaked out to have that much moxie either time when I heard the screams that scared me silly!

And you are right, even in Ohio, it definitely could be a darn samsquantch, those things get around!
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Above the arctic circle, Prudoe bay, Coville, you will occasionally see a black fox.  

AK Fish and Game introduced them years ago to try to cut down on rabies which the arctic foxes are predisposed to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a couple different species in the states - Grey and Red - and in most areas there are more foxes than people realize.

Thank you for that

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]

There are large ponds dotted around our subdivision.

Abundant waterfowl, and.. foxes.

They go hand in hand.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The grays are native to the US.  The problem with gray foxes is that they climb trees when threatened, which doesn't make for good hunting.  They are sneaky little devils, though.  

Red foxes were introduced from the UK purely for the sport of fox hunting.  They run until they are completely exhausted - making for a much better hunt.  

My family name (Fox) presumably came from some involvement in the industry, and my understanding is that my family was instrumental in bringing the reds over.  Who knows....

We kept a few foxes for a number of years when we lived in Virginia.  They are neat animals.  We tend to take for granted the MANY generations of domestication that our dogs benefit from, though, and forget what it's like to have a first-generation wild animal in our homes.  It wasn't a really good fit, but we enjoyed our time with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have to admit that this pleases me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they will eat every cat they can find. I have a pair that live in an area around my laboratory. we have watched them carry off a few of our stray cats. I like them.

I have to admit that this pleases me.

Me too.

They hammer my neighbors chickens relentlessly, too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

America is full of foxes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wasn't laughing at you so much as I was laughing with you...believe me, I understand where you were coming from. I also heard, on two separate instances, a shriek from some unknown something in the woods that turned my blood to ice in my veins and damn near stopped my heart.

I just got a kick out of the mental image of a outdoorsy guy puffing himself up and stomping his foot at the underbrush and defiantly yelling "fuck off!" before skedaddling--I myself was too freaked out to have that much moxie either time when I heard the screams that scared me silly!

And you are right, even in Ohio, it definitely could be a darn samsquantch, those things get around!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can laugh with me or at me, it's all good.  I was laughing at myself then, and now.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]
we shoot red and grey's here in the mountains.

foxes decimate waterfowl populations, especially in nesting grounds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait until your hear the female (vixen) scream. One of the strangest sounds I had ever heard. Had one in the neighborhood for a few days last summer. Absolutely chilling sound.

BK
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

we shoot red and grey's here in the mountains.

foxes decimate waterfowl populations, especially in nesting grounds.
View Quote

Wish they would decimate the Canadian Goose population around here.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As above many thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, there are five different species of fox in North America, red and gray being the most common.  I think I've only ever seen red foxes around here.

Heck, my last dog was about the same color as a red fox and weighed about 40 pounds.  Little kids would ask why I had a fox on a leash and if it was okay to pet her.  So yeah, pretty common around here.

As above many thanks

I believe reds are from Europe and have essentially killed off the greys.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
they will eat every cat they can find. I have a pair that live in an area around my laboratory. we have watched them carry off a few of our stray cats. I like them.
View Quote

Foxes won't mess with larger full grown male cats.  

Yeah, younger cats or females pretty much will turn into food.

My cat was a stray who live behind the house for about two years before I brought him in.  Lots of foxes around here.  The cat made no effort to hide from the foxes, he really just didn't seem to give a shit about them.  They never messed with him.  He's fairly big at 14lbs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Same spot,....2 different nights

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never heard of that before. I would have thought that they would benefit vegetable gardeners by chowing down on rabbits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will eat your garden vegetables.  We have one living over in the cove next to the neighborhood where I live.  The man who fixed my A/C has been fighting to keep them out of his garden.

My friend raises asparagus which takes a while to get going.  They apparently like it.  It pisses him off.
He has an electric wire about 10 feet up and it keeps the deer out, but not critters who find their way in other ways.

A previous poster said they caught one using orange rind.  I knew they didn't exist completely on meat but wasn't sure exactly what they liked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Ohio Big Foot Sightings
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohio Bigfoot Sightings
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
They're around parts of Seattle and on San Juan Island here in WA.  I think in both cases they are remnants of imports for the fur trade.  San Juan also has huge European hares.

I saw boatloads of them in Alaska, and IIRC one in Idaho.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I discovered yesterday morning that there is a pair of foxes living in my neighborhood.  Ran across them during my dog's early walk.  Just saw what I assume is one of the pair running between the houses across the street and then farther down.  I'm wondering what they will likely be hunting for food in the area?  Or will they be digging in the trash?  I'm not worried about my dog, or most of the neighbor's dogs, but there are some ankle biters nearby as well as an idiot who lets her cats run free.
View Quote

Got them around here...I always watch them get the road kill out in the road.  Other than that I suspect small game and rodents.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I discovered yesterday morning that there is a pair of foxes living in my neighborhood.  Ran across them during my dog's early walk.  Just saw what I assume is one of the pair running between the houses across the street and then farther down.  I'm wondering what they will likely be hunting for food in the area?  Or will they be digging in the trash?  I'm not worried about my dog, or most of the neighbor's dogs, but there are some ankle biters nearby as well as an idiot who lets her cats run free.
View Quote

What burb? I live in Des Plaines and have seen red fox on multiple occasions in my AO. Would prefer the ones adorning page one though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ohio Big Foot Sightings
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohio Bigfoot Sightings

I'm a funny guy, not a tard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#32]
foxes are everywhere. like coyotes, they are sneaky, so you don't necessarily see them all the time.

There was a fox with kits living in a trailer park that I stayed at in a Denver suburb.
they didn't give a crap about people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#33]
In my town you'll see them trotting down the sidewalk in broad daylight.A neighbor blamed them for getting all the carp from his little decorative pond,but I figured it was coyotes that did that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I live between the desert and a golf course. There are days I see more coyotes than kids on bikes...
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bigfoot kill you last.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CH3ve5" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1553/24093308522_4758e8842a_b.jpg</a>DSC_5839_Crop by FredMan, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CtAaDe" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1712/23941055283_3f58ce5ddb_b.jpg</a>Kit-WP_20150504_19_20_00_Pro (2) by FredMan, on Flickr

View Quote

Great picture.  What is the one in the first pic carrying?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bigfoot kill you last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigfoot kill you last.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I wish that were true. I have a game camera set up where I put out corn for the deer behind our house. I've caught a few pictures of foxes on it and haven't lost a cat yet. I'm thinking about putting out a gut pile to draw in some coyotes. They may be able to help me solve my "cat problem".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish that were true. I have a game camera set up where I put out corn for the deer behind our house. I've caught a few pictures of foxes on it and haven't lost a cat yet. I'm thinking about putting out a gut pile to draw in some coyotes. They may be able to help me solve my "cat problem".

I've  caught one of the foxes in my neighborhood hanging out with my outdoor cat a couple times. One time I even called the cat for dinner while they were hanging out and the fox actually came up the driveway with him till it realized the cat was coming to me and he turned around and took off when he thought I was too close. Foxes are mostly rodent, bird and bug hunters. Cats are also sharp on five ends and about as big as foxes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Food will be the same thing as foxes in rural areas - anything they can get in their mouths but mainly rodents, ground nesting birds & eggs, small reptiles, etc... They should not bother any dogs or cats, they are not coyotes.
View Quote

I shot one a few years back that was causing problems with my dogs. It would get up in a tree and yip at my dogs when they were in the back yard. If it would have gotten in the backyard, my dogs would have torn it to shreds. Or, they would have made it one of their own. It's pretty hard to tell with my dogs sometimes. I was more concerned with possible diseases it was carrying than it actually harming my dogs. I caught it a couple of times on our back patio eating the dog food I would occasionally forget to bring in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Saw two in my neighbors yard Thursday night. I'm not reall suburbs though, we're surrounded by farms.

I'm hoping they eat my other neighbors yippy assed dogs that manage to shit in every yard but their own. Little fucking rats. Was hoping the coyotes would do it, maybe the foxes will pick up the slack.

Fox population has exploded, fur trade crashed, no hunting pressure, predators flourish.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#41]
BTW, I've seen both red and brown foxes in my area.  A brown fox walked up to my house, jumped, hit the window on the way downand nailed somthing. Good for him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#42]
San Antonio is transected all over by woody greenbelts and parks; pretty much any animal has access to most of the city and suburbs. My dad saw a full sized mountain lion crossing the road late one night on a small road near 1604. Before anyone calls BS, he has a 30lb bobcat mounted in his office so he knows what a cat looks like. I've seen coyotes and foxes in various spots.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

LOL yep, it's scary as hell if you don't know what it is, and you damn sure wouldn't expect THAT NOISE to come out of a fox!  My back yard drops off pretty fast into a deep ravine with a nice little stream running through it, they love to screw around down there, especially when the weather is nice.  I've heard all of these down there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM
View Quote

Haha, the Wilhelm Scream is the vixen scream.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was thinking the same. We have a couple of foxes right down the road. Neighbors cat is out almost all day every day. They have had to cross lathes by now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I've got a couple around my neighborhood. I've seen them with rabbits and squirrels.

You can get domesticated foxes now too
http://www.fastcompany.com/3037451/pet-week/meet-your-new-pet-a-domesticated-fox
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#47]
We've seen a couple in my yard. Based on the squirrel and such population I need more predators around.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I had two crossing my yard near the brushline at the back when I first bought it.
Was already making plans for their pelts and shopping for a nice air rifle to take them out but my wife decided to clean the brush out of our little strip of trees and they stopped cutting through the yard darnit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

We have four kinds, gray and red are common in the middle part of the country

They're fun to watch making their morning rounds.

Human foxes come in four varieties, too; red, blonde, brunette, and black.

View Quote

You can also special order them in pink, blue, green, etc....

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I've seen them in my neighborhood
We have lots of rabbits too
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top