Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Outside of sleeping back there when you're too drunk to set up a tent, they're pretty useless.

Secure storage? Lol

Need to use the bed for anything? Lol

They're basically a fedora for your castrated truck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Outside of sleeping back there when you're too drunk to set up a tent, they're pretty useless.

Secure storage? Lol

View Quote

I agree.  The amount of people on here who refer to a cap as secure storage is
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do the benefits outweigh the negatives

What is the deciding factor?
View Quote

if you need a covered truck get a suburban.  I don't like truck caps, they just get in the way and limit usage.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Secure storage? Lol

View Quote

But, but my truck fedora is where I store all my extra m'ladies and neckbeard supplies!?!
Where else am I gonna be able to fit a hammock of cake and a desk of cheetos?

Huh?

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Congrats, then there is a possibility that your truck looks like ass with a cap on it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It makes the truck look like absolute ass
Pain in the ass to load firewood into

Anyone who buys a cap should have bought an suv

There is the slight possibility I don't use firewood.
There is also the possibility that I don't want deer/hogs/fish/oil/grease in the back of an SUV.

Congrats, then there is a possibility that your truck looks like ass with a cap on it

And there's about a 100% possibility I don't give a rats ass.

You might, metrosexuals might, but I don't.  

Utility gets the job done.  Style gets in the way of utility.

And nobody thinks that a cap is "secure" if someone wants to break in.  But the cab is just as insecure.  Locks only keep honest people honest.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

if you need a covered truck get a suburban.  I don't like truck caps, they just get in the way and limit usage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a cap how do you throw empty beer pop cans in the bed?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That little handy slidey window thingy, ya silly head!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Through the rear window?  You can even get pickups with electric sliding rear windows these days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But, but my truck fedora is where I store all my extra m'ladies and neckbeard supplies!?!

Huh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secure storage? Lol

Huh?

Strong argument, but still no from me.

I got one that came with a truck and tried hard to like it.

Outside of the 3 or 4 times in 2 years i slept back there, i hated it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you want to look like a white trash hillbilly?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And nobody thinks that a cap is "secure" if someone wants to break in.  But the cab is just as insecure.  Locks only keep honest people honest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also the possibility that I don't want deer/hogs/fish/oil/grease in the back of an SUV.

Well a cap just about takes away alot of the utility of a truck there buddy.  How do you haul your trailer with a cap?  Bumper pull everything?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secure storage? Lol

Huh?

All silliness aside, mine is always used for sleeping, hunting and fishing trip stuff. I wished I'd have sprung for the taller, more old-man-ier one for better storage aspects.
Also, I can leave my camping gear back there for extended periods of time after I have returned from the camping trip without it getting stolen or rained on.
Because, like, I'm super tired from camping and stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well a cap just about takes away alot of the utility of a truck there buddy.  How do you haul your trailer with a cap?  Bumper pull everything?
View Quote

So your argument is thus:

Bed weight rating of F350:  3060lb

Towing weight rating:  12500lb (with conventional hitch, not gooseneck)

In other words, you are saying that by using a trailer....I can actually haul more weight by putting my lighter stuff in the bed and the heavier stuff on a trailer.

And that somehow reduces utility?  Unless the conventional hitch tow rating is somehow less than the bed weight rating....which it's not.......using a cap and having a utility trailer actually makes my truck MORE capable and allows me to have both covered areas (in my case, the stuff that I want to cover is usually the lighter items and heavier things aren't) and uncovered areas...and trailers are easier to load up with 4 wheelers, motorcycles, or clean after carrying dirty things......  Hmmm.......

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In other words, you are saying that by using a trailer....I can actually haul more weight by putting my lighter stuff in the bed and the heavier stuff on a trailer.

And that somehow reduces utility?  Unless the conventional hitch tow rating is somehow less than the bed weight rating....which it's not.......using a cap and having a utility trailer actually makes my truck MORE capable.  Hmmm.......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that somehow reduces utility?  Unless the conventional hitch tow rating is somehow less than the bed weight rating....which it's not.......using a cap and having a utility trailer actually makes my truck MORE capable.  Hmmm.......

1.  Apparently you drive an F350?  I can't help much if you're already making bad decisions.
2. You seem to be under the assumption that the only benefit of a gooseneck over a bumper pull is weight, which is also wrong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Caps are great for work trucks. Keeps tools dry and mostly safe. ladders go on top.

Get the side windows that open up they call them windoors makes life SO MUCH easier
View Quote

This.

Both of my trucks that have shells have windoors on the sides.
The one I had before them didn't.

No downside that I have found to having a shell on my truck.

I own an open bed truck for those things that won't fit in a shell. Other then taking out my trashcans, I seldom need the open truck.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
We have an older tall Glasstite on the back of our F-150.  It's nice when wanting to haul gear around in the wet Northwest weather, and being just a few inches taller in the back cuts down on the backache.  However, we don't have clearance in all parking garages (with standard height F-150 +6-8" for the raised part of the canopy); visibility is not amazing compared to an open bed; and, most problematic is that the windows fog/frost in our long winters here and don't thaw out when the cab does.  I can scrape the outside, but the inside will stay foggy/frozen all winter.

Yeah, we can take it on and off, and I used the nice reusable cap tape/seal, but it's heavy as hell and takes up space.  And driving my older Ford ('96) with a ten-year older (ca. '88-ish) cap definitely has the Inland Northwest old man-in-a-hat appeal.  Looks like an upside down bass boat on my bed. I instantly feel like the saltiest bastard on the road when I climb in.

I personally prefer to have my toolbox in the back with an open bed.  However, the cap is still on since it is so handy and too much of a PITA to store.  Planning on selling it off the back of the truck soon and throwing my box back in.  

I will say that once I put the cap on with some Bedrug in there, I actually used to sneak out of the house and lay in there for quiet time!  Feels almost like my Temperpedic!  Thought it would be nice to do hasty hunt/camp with, but I still end up outside.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1.  Apparently you drive an F350?  I can't help much if you're already making bad decisions.
2. You seem to be under the assumption that the only benefit of a gooseneck over a bumper pull is weight, which is also wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)  No, I don't drive a F350.  I just used it because it's a common truck used to tow.  Most all trucks in the same class these days have *relatively* similar tow ratings.
2)  I understand the benefits of a gooseneck.  I also understand that there are drawbacks.....like sucking up your truck bed.  

The fact that a gooseneck might do some things better does not negate my point, nor does it mean that it's the best option in all cases.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are we talking about truck nutz now?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

1)  No, I don't drive a F350.  I just used it because it's a common truck used to tow.  Most all trucks in the same class these days have *relatively* similar tow ratings.
2)  I understand the benefits of a gooseneck.  I also understand that there are drawbacks.....like sucking up your truck bed.  

The fact that a gooseneck might do some things better does not negate my point, nor does it mean that it's the best option in all cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, but he doesn't like camper shells. Isn't that all the reason we need to remove ours, or possibly take the off the market entirely?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't grasp how have a cap makes a truck more capable.  It makes the bed harder to load, it limits what you can load & how you can load it.  There's literally no positives to having a cap that I can think of.  If something needs to stay out of the weather, I have a quad cab for that.  If I need more room for storage, I will use the wife's Jeep.  It has good storage that is "more" secure than a cap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I can't grasp how have a cap makes a truck more capable.  It makes the bed harder to load, it limits what you can load & how you can load it.  There's literally no positives to having a cap that I can think of.  If something needs to stay out of the weather, I have a quad cab for that.  If I need more room for storage, I will use the wife's Jeep.  It has good storage that is "more" secure than a cap.
View Quote

That's fine.

Like I was trying to say.  It's what you use it for, and that's the beauty of a truck.  You can outfit a truck bed exactly how you want.  

What I do with a truck may be 100% different than what you do...but we can both get what we want because it's basically a blank slate.

You look at a truck bed and think "open air, can haul oddball sized items that are dirty, heavy, and don't have to open a door to get to it."

I look at a truck and see a utility vehicle that allows me to tow trailers, easily go camping in, take comfortable road trips, get into the back country, and get stuff home from home depot so I can do home improvement things.

I benefit more from the benefit of protection from the elements than I do from easy access.  I might haul something large enough to dislike a cap 1-2x per year at best.  I'd use it for element-proof storage much more often (sometimes every weekend).  And living in the land of snow, mud, and rain....protection from the elements is a pretty darn good thing.  

And because it's a truck, I don't lose cargo carrying capacity because I can pull a trailer that has way more weight carrying capacity than the bed itself, of even a higher weight class truck.

But again, the beauty of a truck is that you can easily outfit it in the way you like.  With a SUV, you are stuck with what you get.

I'm not a contractor.  I'm not a rancher.  I'm not a hot-shot driver.   I'm an outdoorsman that does handy work around the house.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#23]
You can sleep in the bed if need be.

Hell, I got a ride in a custom rig once while drunk off my ass. Had bench seats that were cushioned as well as shag carpeting.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure if Florida Man is the best person to put forth that argument.  

Quoted:

You do realize that you can remove the cap, right?   It's not the cap that makes it more capable, it's having the option of using the cap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to have a bed liner to protect the bed, and a tonneau cover that I could roll back to haul larger loads.  Convenient, but limited.  Larger boxes / items end up getting wet in bad weather.  

I then bought a Leer truck cap.  And I added a Bed Rug on both the inside of the bed, and the inside of the cap.  I've never been happier.  I can haul lumber, boxes, bins, etc...  I just vacuum when I'm done.  I can load just about anything - other than a refrigerator.  But, the cap does come off but it takes two guys.  

Leer Truck Caps

Bed Rug
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The only cap I ever had that was useful to me was a Leer on a Toyota 4X4 that had side windows that opened up, allowing excellent access to the bed.

Haven't had a cap on my trucks in years, now.  I use the bed too much for hauling stuff, where a cap would just be in the way.

Having said that, I like the way a cap looks on trucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
creates a fuck ton of drag.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Just buy a Suburban.
View Quote

As soon as they make a diesel Suburban, I will.

We call them toppers around here.  Is that a regional thing like pop and soda?

Anyone have a solution for carrying a couple mountain bikes in one?  I've been thinking about picking one up, but it seems like it would make hauling the bikes a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anyone have a solution for carrying a couple mountain bikes in one?  I've been thinking about picking one up, but it seems like it would make hauling the bikes a pain in the ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just buy a Suburban.

Get one with a Yakima rack and you can haul the bikes on top.

Also, the suburban argument is stupid, more so now that they discontinued the 2500.  Try leaving gas cans and generators in the back of your suburban and let me know how pleasant the interior smells.  Besides, you can buy a he'll of a nice cap and trailer with the money you save by getting a truck instead of a subirban.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#31]
The pros outweigh the cons for me, but as just about everybody here said, it's all in how you use your truck.  Yah, occasionally I need to haul something that doesn't fit, but I have a utility trailer and I'm not afraid to use it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I like mine, thats all that matters...

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a service body on my truck. 8' bed is wide open to haul stuff. 6 large cabinets/ boxes to lock stuff away in and keep very organized. And the long boxes over the wheel wells very perfect for long guns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#35]
What negative do you see. I love my Lear cap and it only takes two people to take it off or put it back on if you need to haul something that tall but I have a trailer for the big stuff.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like mine, thats all that matters...

<a href="http://s192.photobucket.com/user/chadwimc/media/trip94_zpsab4527f8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/chadwimc/trip94_zpsab4527f8.jpg</a>
View Quote

I think Tacomas look badass with toppers. Less oldmannish than other toppered trucks, for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How's that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that?

I am also curious?

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The purse swinging is strong in this thread.
View Quote

only for people that attach their identity to what they drive
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#40]
You know what they say when something tries to be everything...

Get both I say

After owning both I can honestly say a SUV with a trailer is more useful than a truck with a cover/cap wtf ever you call it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You know what they say when something tries to be everything...

Get both I say
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/20141021_140127_zpsgui7ywp9.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/20141120_113207_zpsqs0uvtf4.jpg

After owning both I can honestly say a SUV with a trailer is more useful than a truck with a cover/cap wtf ever you call it.
View Quote

this is now a bro dozer thread?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm getting ready to cap my truck. It'll be used for camping mostly.

Has anyone ever tried a softop? Seems the best of both worlds, easy to use for camping and off roading, easy to remove to haul dirt/rocks/whatever.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Only real negatives that I encountered;

- frost on the cap windows were a nuisance when you needed to look out for other traffic.  They don't have heat or wipers on them.
- every so often the cap is in the way of moving something large or tall in the truck bed; like a fridge or a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#44]
When I bought my truck, it came with an A.R.E. cap on it. The taller cap is nice, and easy to move around in. But I think the truck looks much better with it off. Haven't had a need for it to go back on, but I won't get rid of it because it is nice to have the option.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just buy a Suburban.

Yes, regional. My father always called a cap a canopy. Most people here call them caps. Toppers is Midwest I think.

Carrying road bikes was a bit of a hassle with a cap. Kind of climb in partway and arrange things, and not secured well. But no big deal overall.

With my Undercover and crossbars, I carry them outside on trays like a rooftop carrier. Or a sling one in the bed and lock it. Easy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't lived til a half dead ringneck wakes up in the back of a Tahoe......
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok, how about a new question.  Why don't you fuckers get toppers that color match?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ok, how about a new question.  Why don't you fuckers get toppers that color match?
View Quote

'Cuz 'Merica! That's why. I was going to paint mine to match, but it grew on me, so...Buy whatever floats yer boat...
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You haven't lived til a half dead ringneck wakes up in the back of a Tahoe......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be fun to watch!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top