Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The interviews with the real guys are what brings it home. Total respect for those gents.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It's great and at the same time very difficult to watch .

The series is 15 years old having debuted just days before 9/11/2001.  Almost if not all of the vets are gone now.

With all sure respect to our living vets, we will never see such huge numbers of such giants of courage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The series is 15 years old having debuted just days before 9/11/2001.  Almost if not all of the vets are gone now.

With all sure respect to our living vets, we will never see such huge numbers of such giants of courage.
View Quote

I believe Malarkey is the oldest still alive
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's some action from Holland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSvLWK5Z2A

Also, a point during the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne that always gets me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnMCjidL8Q

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven't seen it.  

Here's some action from Holland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSvLWK5Z2A

Also, a point during the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne that always gets me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnMCjidL8Q

His flashback to that first scene really tears my guts out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Most perfect ending ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6TrbOexkUc

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
We salute the rank, not the man!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damned good series, I can watch it over and over again.
View Quote

Agreed. Favorite episode is a tossup between the second half of the pilot where they take out the 105s at Brecourt Manor (sp?) or Crossroads.

Both had pretty good firefights, but Crossroads in particular struck me. Going, literally, to the sound of the guns, and they're pulling everything they can off the dudes retreating: ammo, genades, probably other stuff too. That was a pretty powerful scene.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agreed. Favorite episode is a tossup between the second half of the pilot where they take out the 105s at Brecourt Manor (sp?) or Crossroads.

Both had pretty good firefights, but Crossroads in particular struck me. Going, literally, to the sound of the guns, and they're pulling everything they can off the dudes retreating: ammo, genades, probably other stuff too. That was a pretty powerful scene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me was the artillery fire they took at Bastone and what happened with Toye and Guarnere (don't want to spoil it)
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For me was the artillery fire they took at Bastone and what happened with Toye and Guarnere (don't want to spoil it)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one did have some chuckles too, though. "You think I overdid it on my top cover?" The Niagra River thing, etc.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

When we were kids those men were still fairly young.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Major Winters said if he could have one man to have his back he would have picked your wife's grandfather. That's quite the compliment.
View All Quotes

I just read that conversations book. Remembered that from it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I read it years ago, unfortunately I left my book outside and it rained.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, I seriously need to.  Is it available for streaming anywhere or do I have to buy the DVD's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven't seen it.  

GTFO and hand in your Man Card on the way out the door... you'll get it back after you get back from picking BoB up at the store to watch tonight.

Can I retain my man card because I actually served in the 1-501st PIR, one of the units part of that whole mess?  

I'll allow it.

Seriously though, go watch the series.  You do yourself a disservice for not doing so.

Yeah, I seriously need to.  Is it available for streaming anywhere or do I have to buy the DVD's?

It's kind of borderline communistic that you have not...

Stop hating America.....and git er done.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#18]
In the whole series this is probably my favorite scenes

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Sobel (Ross from Friends) was a cocksucker of biggest kind.  I enjoyed watching him get his just dessert.  Fuckhead.  (is that good acting then? hmmmm)
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the DVD set and might watch it again this weekend
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sobel (Ross from Friends) was a cocksucker of biggest kind.  I enjoyed watching him get his just dessert.  Fuckhead.  (is that good acting then? hmmmm)
View Quote

I loved the part where he cut the barbed wire fence during the training run when George Luz disguised his voice. Douche got pwned.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#22]

That series is my favorite thing ever put on film and I used to watch it regularly.  I find it really hard to these days. All my Uncles who fought are dead.  

All these giants from my youth, guys that sat around in backyards and smoked and drank beer out of wooden cases and bullshitted about work at family parties when I was a kid.  They were always heroes to me:

Uncle Vince; in a recon platoon for years with Patton - got the Million Dollar Wound in the cleanup after Bastogne, more medals than anyone in the family but never ever ever talked about the War.  Uncle Tom; 82nd Airborne- broken back from a mortar but went on to build the tallest buildings in Philly and made it to last year.  Uncle Clyde; USN-some little repair ship in the Pacific - he made the War sound like McHale's Navy, but I have a picture of his ship after a Kamikaze blew up a tanker anchored near his ship - he just died a couple months back.  Uncle Eddie; enlisted same day as Clyde but wound up on a sub-chaser in the Atlantic.  

Out of all these guys only my Dad (8th Army in '45 and in Japan for the Occupation) is alive.  Sweetest man in the world, I've never heard him curse.  But if you bring up 'Japs' he gets a whole different tone.  Hates them.  I gotta call him and take him to lunch today.

I always post the same thing in these threads - I dread the day when that generation is completely gone.  They weren't perfect, but my God, the things they did and built.  I really wish I could go back to the 70s and 80s and hang out with them all again.  I miss them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I loved the part where he cut the barbed wire fence during the training run when George Luz disguised his voice. Douche got pwned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was priceless!  This was mine
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep. Best war movie / series ever.
View Quote

This.

The scene of the jump into Normandy is just insane...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]

One of the comments on this video: "At 6.55 you can see a tiger tank running away from Spiers"

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Smoke?

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Best scene of the movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/R6da9U6Xjd8

One of the comments on this video: "At 6.55 you can see a tiger tank running away from Spiers"

Best scene of the movie.

Needs this tacked on to it, though.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, it's a great piece of film making.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a good summary of events for that fight, Easy Company – Band of Brothers – The Crossroads Battle Explained
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldwux1JVdf1qa6j6co1_400.gifhttp://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mf81fcce466eb7d411cff9fea62d94ceaH0&w=300&h=169&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Though Dick Winters would never admit it, numerous other respected Toccoa-Men have stated throughout the years that the reason Easy Co. was more successful than any other company in the battalion was because Sobel pushed them so much harder in training. He was by all accounts a tactical catastrophe and could barely do 30 pushups, but through his leadership Easy Co. trained harder and more than everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Agreed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish they'd make a few more series in the same manner for Korea and Vietnam.

Agreed.

I wish some of the other participants in WWII made their own BoB versions.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Though Dick Winters would never admit it, numerous other respected Toccoa-Men have stated throughout the years that the reason Easy Co. was more successful than any other company in the battalion was because Sobel pushed them so much harder in training. He was by all accounts a tactical catastrophe and could barely do 30 pushups, but through his leadership Easy Co. trained harder and more than everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldwux1JVdf1qa6j6co1_400.gifhttp://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mf81fcce466eb7d411cff9fea62d94ceaH0&w=300&h=169&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Winters said in his book he never cared for Sobel and thought he was a goofball and a kiss ass. He was a good training officer, that's it. Sink knew he was a liability in combat and that's why he reassigned him before the invasion,
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Winters said in his book he never cared for Sobel and thought he was a goofball and a kiss ass. He was a good training officer, that's it. Sink knew he was a liability in combat and that's why he reassigned him before the invasion,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sink only reassigned him because a bunch of E Co NCOs mutinied. If you actually follow WWII, more American officers in the infantry, even the PIR, were like Sobel than like Winters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can I retain my man card because I actually served in the 1-501st PIR, one of the units part of that whole mess?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven't seen it.  

GTFO and hand in your Man Card on the way out the door... you'll get it back after you get back from picking BoB up at the store to watch tonight.

Don't you realize that you'll never know what it's like to be a soldier until you've watched this TV miniseries? Lol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In the whole series this is probably my favorite scenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0
View Quote

Agreed.

I watch the series once a year. Due to see it again soon...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#37]
One of my favorite scenes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Sooooo many good scenes. I even like the one where Winters is swimming in the lake. Oh and Eagles nest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The interviews with the real guys are what brings it home. Total respect for those gents.
View Quote
Yeah, those old men get to tearing up and I get all fucked up. Shew!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks that was great. It really puts the charge in perspective. I changed the video. I didn't realize it wasn't in english.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sooooo many good scenes. I even like the one where Winters is swimming in the lake. Oh and Eagles nest.
View Quote

His relationship with Nixon was pretty special. Pretty neat that Nixon got him a job at his parent's factory after the war and I believe that's how Winters met his wife. Nixon got married and divorced a few times and never could kick the booze.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

His relationship with Nixon was pretty special. Pretty neat that Nixon got him a job at his parent's factory after the war and I believe that's how Winters met his wife. Nixon got married and divorced a few times and never could kick the booze.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wikipedia says otherwise. That he stopped drinking during his last marriage.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Great series!

"It's okay, we're in a dell"
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#45]
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?"

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Great series!

"It's okay, we're in a dell"
View Quote

"Like with fairies and gnomes and shit?..."
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Watched it with my 14 year old SIL last year,  very cool to see her getting into it.  Not cool realizing how little is taught about it in her school.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#48]
One of my all time favorites.   I could watch it over and over.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#49]
A truly excellent piece of film making.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Great series. I need to stop borrowing it from my father-in-law and just go ahead and buy it
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top