Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They didnt get to #22 in the state without recognizing their strengths and identifying their weaknesses.  
AKA:" They already know".

Smile and wave.  Sign nothing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Exit interview?

I would kindly decline and be on my merry way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Never burn bridges.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never burn bridges behind you.

View Quote

The bridges burning behind me light the path in front of me.  

To the OP- I always politely decline exit interviews for many of the reasons already posted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They didnt get to #22 in the state without recognizing their strengths and identifying their weaknesses.  

AKA:" They already know".

Smile and wave.  Sign nothing.
View Quote
Well, that is possibly more a function of the state where I work being a pretty hefty liberal welfare state. The State itself the second largest employer, only being beaten by a hospital/healthcare system that at 39k employees has 2k more employees than the state. The third largest employer in the state where I work? The federal government at 31k employees. The 6th largest employer? A predominantly state funded University at 26k employees. 11th largest, the state college system. 14th largest? US Postal service.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Go down to the nearest body of water in your area.

Pick up a single grain of sand and throw it in.

Watch what happens.

That is is the same effect your interview will have on the way the company is run in the future.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The truth helps THEM.... but only if they listen. It does nothing to help you.

Kissing ass and being nice helps YOU (while possibly hurting them).
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just dont go to the exit interview. You're quiting anyway, fuck em.
View Quote

No shit..
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Let's see if I can remember how Les recounted this.

I have an acquaintance who retired early after 14 years at a large software company (he won a small state lottery pot, something like $900k, and decided to roll with it).  He made sure to cash out any PTO / sick leave before his last day (not sure he would have cared either way, he just didn't want them to have any leverage).

He went through the exit interview, was very pleasant and gave constructive feedback.  At the end, they made a fatal mistake and asked the open-ended question, "is there anything you would have done to make your employment experience here better?"

He stops, thinks for a minute, and says "...yeah, actually!  Here, follow me."  Hops up from the table, goes out of the conference room, past the cube farm and to one of the manager offices.  The very confused and slightly worried HR person is trying to keep up.

He opens the door without knocking and says "hey, Steve!"

Steve looks up -

"FUUUUCCCCK YOOOUUUUU, STEVE!"

Closes the door, turns to the ashen-faced HR person, pats them on the shoulder while the entire, now-silent cube farm stares, and goes "...I think I'm good!  Thanks!"

And leaves.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Tell the truth.

Be polite, don't scream at the interviewer, etc.

Calmly explain why you're leaving, etc.

Thank them for their time, and leave.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]
NEVER EVER EVER burn bridges.

Just saying...
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Especially since it is a government job, there is zero chance anything you say to a person in an exit interview will get any traction in improving the situation for co workers left behind.
Too many layers of fiefdom managers who only care about protecting themselves and maintaining the status quo.

If it was a small company, where you could speak candidly with the owner or person who could change things, it might be worth it.
But assume you can never go back there for future employment, and NEVER write things down or sign anything.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#14]
The exit interview is worth exactly what they are paying for it.

Think about it.  All the information they PAY for....and they want your $.02 for free.

Only do it if you want.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jerry Maguire got a secretary out of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smile and wave...this, from my attorney.

He told me once, when I resigned from my last employer before starting my own company 16 years ago, to resist the powerful urge to make "The Last Speech".

He said the only person who hears it is you...everyone else hears it as a big crybaby tantrum...and the less you say, the better.

NOTHING scares your enemy as much as what he/she can make up in their own head. The less you say, the more blanks they have to fill-in themselves, and nothing you can say can compare with what is going on inside their head.

Take up some rent-free space in your ex's head and just smile sweetly and say nothing. If they really hate you, it will drive them nuts.

It IS worth it, trust me on this one.
Jerry Maguire got a secretary out of it.

And a wife, a kid that has a potty mouth and a crazy Sister-in-Law.  That right there should tell you to keep your mouth shut on an exit interview.  

And, BTW my exit interview with my company is scheduled for next wednesday.  I plan on being very polite and pushing no one under the bus even though I possibly could/should.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Only say positive things.  If they didn't listen to your criticism while you were there, what makes you think they will listen when you are out the door?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not one for burning bridges, but I'm sure not going to give them advice that would help them on my way out the door.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Waste of time.  When I retired I left my keys and badge with the security guard at the front gate.

Earlier in my work life they promoted our supervisor to another work group.  The manager wanted to meet with us one on one to review what good and bad we liked about the leaving supervisor.  I told him if they didn't care when the guy was working with us I had nothing to say after he was gone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd decline one.

BTW, I also declined offers of a retirement party.  Like many others, I didn't care.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#20]
just a check mark for useless HR, nothing will ever become of it - i know people are tempted to vent, but not worth burning the bridge especially if you're in the same industry...
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Why would you bother being honest?

The day after you quit, they will be your competition.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I did an exit interview where my place of employment had devolved due to incompetent leadership and micromanaging from a political hack who's husband essentially bought her job with campaign contributions. (this wasn't a secret). I had no issues with my boss or his boss so I told HR the truth as to why I left. They knew what was going on and heard it before so I figured I would just add to the documentation in case something in the future were to be done. Eventually the agency contracted with an outside consultant and the interviewed current employees who all sang the same refrain on why their jobs sucked. The powers that be didn't like the results and tried to bury the report, but someone leaked it to the media and it basically forced the ouster of the one responsible. I hear things are much better today.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Smile and wave, wait a couple of months, then post how you really feel on Glassdoor or some other job-related review site.

Quoted:

Don't tell them anything.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.  The main
purpose of an exit interview is to find some way to blame YOU for
leaving.  They want to be able to say "He was just disgruntled and had a
bad attitude."

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I gave an exit interview once.

I kinda knew the HR lady

She asked if I had anything to say about the company.

I hesitated. She was holding her breath, waiting for the eruption. There was poison in the upper echelons that had slept her way to her position. She had no schooling, background or experience and she set out to remove anyone who might have threatened her new position. She went right down the line and people were dropping like flies. She didn't get me though. It was 2009 and construction was in the middle of a depression. I finished my job and they had nothing to do.

I just said,"The place isn't the same place I came to work for 8 years ago."

She sounded relieved and agreed.

I know she thought I was going to nuke them but there was really no point. They all knew the deal.

That broad is still there too. Man, she must have dirt on all of them by now.

And brother let me tell you, that bitch is GUILTY.    

She must be Hell in the sack.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had a bad attitude at a job before, when asked about it, I told them they created it
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't think what I would say would be scathing, more constructive. But then I guess that is a matter of perspective and opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you gain out from giving them a scathing exit interview? I would just smile and thank them
I don't think what I would say would be scathing, more constructive. But then I guess that is a matter of perspective and opinion.

There's a good chance I'll be turning in my 2 weeks after 10 years with the same company.  I intend to tell them how much fun it was and that I haven't accepted any offers from their competitors, just so they don't have a chance to get offended about anything.  Not just smile and nod, but swallow all my pride, compliment them on a fine company and how much fun it's been.

I want to do contract work and the industry is too small to start pissing people off.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they valued your opinion they would be paying for it.

Good point.

They were.  I was on the clock. Not working.  Talking to HR.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had a bad attitude at a job before, when asked about it, I told them they created it
View Quote

Nothing is more annoying in the workplace than the victim mentality.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#29]
1)  You get absolutely NOTHING from it either way so it's a total waste of your time

2) If there's even a one in a million chance that company could EVER benefit you in the future you don't want to burn that bridge

3) If you feel you absolutely HAVE to tell the truth, demand  a good reference letter first.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#30]
IF you want to be viewed as a disgruntled employee, tell them everything without proof or documentation of said allegations. I would document everything in one of those black and white journals and drop it off to HR on your way out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#31]

I did this once too.  I watched that movie a lot.........................

When I got called into the directors office fully expecting to be fired, I got a raise and a promotion, a free lunch with beer, along with control of my department. It was glorious!!!

I went out that very evening and bought Jack, Makers, an M1A loaded, and posted a pic on the arfcom.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I once got a big raise and re-hired at a company I had left because of the honesty in my exit interview when I left the first time.  The new engineering manager was holding my exit interview during my interview at the re-hiring.

It can't be hate...but if you care about your co-workers you are leaving behind, there can be some good that comes of some honesty.

And like I said, I got a raise...actually 2 in about 8 months, one to join the new company, and one to rejoin the old.

My FIRST real job my boss hated me, and told me point blank when I asked why the n00b I was training was making more money than me that "...I decide who gets raises and when...and if you think you can do better you should look around!"

He crapped himself when I quit a week later.  I burned every piece of that bridge and laughed about it.  I have been offered jobs by no less than 5 people who worked there at the time.  At least two additions to the rulebook were labeled by the workers there as "stimpsonjcat rules" as they were created because of my leaving.  The boss ended up having to give the entire engineering group a raise when they found out what I had gotten to leave.

He could have kept me for peanuts...it was a VERY important lesson to learn about one's worth.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Years ago when I quit Procter & Gamble I gave a very frank and open exit interview.  The HR person called in the HR director and had me retell her everything I had just said.  They were very careful to write down everything I said, and I think they had me sign it.

Turns out everyone else who was quitting over the nonsense going on there were keeping their mouths shut when they left in fear of losing their pension or some passive-aggressive bullshit that P&G were famous for.  I didn't give a fuck.

The HR people thanked me profusely (for real) and I left.

Turns out that corporate wouldn't let them change anything because "nobody is quitting over it".  Once I did quit, and named the bullshit as the reason, plant management was allowed to start making the changes.

All my friends that stayed working there later told me about how awesome it was to work there now.  They knew it was because of what I did and they thanked me a lot for it.

Ever since then I've always made it a point to really tell the truth on exit interviews.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#34]
If you tell them something sucks, will they fix it? Probably No
Will you be using them for a job reference? Probably Yes
Smile, wish them well, tell them you are leaving to "take the next step" (vague answer)
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just dont go to the exit interview. You're quiting anyway, fuck em.
View Quote

Came here to post this. You're leaving, they don't give a shit why.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#36]

my plan is to say : "It was a business decision"... which is the same basic reason they gave a few people around me when they laid them off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Honestly it depends. I usually don't slag the place on my way out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't sign a separation agreement.  

It constitutes a contract and is enforceable.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#40]
How I approached my last one?

"You have great personnel here, you have all the tools to succeed and I *want* you to succeed because I want everyone in my industry to do well. However....."
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I think you should bring these issues to their attention now.  Call the EEOC.  Make them squirm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Shit, exit interviews were routine, but when I quit last year after 18 years, HR wouldn't come near me, much less ask me to sit thru one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I am not going to play auditing consultant for a company unless they want to pay me for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Exit interviews are, IMO, largely to see if the departing employee will sue.

No point in candor as you walk out the door.

Anything you're gonna tell them, they already know and aren't going to do anything about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I work for one of the largest employers in my state (county government, ranked 22nd largest employer in the state) and last year management implemented a formal exit interview process. A colleague of mine who recently left indicated they asked a lot of question and he "felt" they sincerely wanted to know his reasons for leaving, what could they improve, etc. My plan is to leave in about one year once I hit my ten-year mark and get my final tuition reimbursement check. My employer touts itself as being a fair, ethical, progressive, equal opportunity, blah, blah, blah employer but once you pull back the veneer of their business-speak they really aren't any different than most employers.

After talking with my colleague I had thought when it comes time for my eventual exit interview I would be honest with them and tell them I'm leaving because I'm tired of their unethical promotional practices, tired of seeing unqualified people get jobs because they were part of some clique or friends with a manager, tired of the work-place cultural double standard between management and staff for things like punctuality, deadlines, etc., and tired of how condescending and snobby many managers are towards staff. But then I thought, screw it, it benefits me in no way telling them this and I imagine that kind of feedback would be viewed as "just a disgruntled employee." After all, the issues I have with my employer (and reasons I'm planning to leave) are systemic workplace culture issues that while I may see as an issues, others don't.

What are your thoughts on exit interviews for departing employees? Tell it like it is? Or just smile and wave boys, smile and wave?

Exit interviews are, IMO, largely to see if the departing employee will sue.

No point in candor as you walk out the door.

Anything you're gonna tell them, they already know and aren't going to do anything about.

This. I worked for a corporate bank. They knew they paid shit and their workforce was a revolving door. No fucks given by them. I stole all the sick time I while I was there. No fucks given by me either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank them for the opportunity and wish them the best of luck.

No good will come out of "telling them like it is". You will be seen as trouble maker and will only confirm your leaving was for the best.

Someday, there could be management changes and your paths could cross again.

I've learned never to burn bridges. Sometimes your best opportunity will come later...and if you are right in leaving you will be missed and possibly sought after later.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you give you a $100,000 consulting fee to improve their workplace...then tell them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Whenever I'm in a meeting with HR and find myself wanting to offer my honest thoughts, I silently repeat to myself "Always remember, nobody wants to hear your fucking opinion."

No matter what they may say to the contrary.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've always been a firm believer it not burning bridges...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you ever want to be able to come back to the company?
If yes, shut up.
If not, tell them the truth.
I've always been a firm believer it not burning bridges...

Then what's the point of this thread?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I vent to my wife or Arfcom. I was thinking more along the lines of if no one tells them what is wrong, how can they change it?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My last day is tomorrow.

Absolutely no personal good can come out of you venting.

None.
I vent to my wife or Arfcom. I was thinking more along the lines of if no one tells them what is wrong, how can they change it?  

I've gotten tired in my old age to give a shit about anyone but my family.   The employees left behind are no longer your problem when you leave.  You can't change the world.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Last 9 to 5 I had, I couldn't resist, told it like it is.

It was worthwhile seeing the CEO start to turn red, and the HR rep, well, she was turning white.

Fond memories there, yes indeed.

(oh, and I was right, the CEO fucked the place over within the year, but was paid handsomely to GTFO, and the old owners took over again)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top