Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course they wanted you to sell you a Civic now, but they did do a search to try to accommodate you, you have to give them that.

Look at the month, it's June.
Most manufacturers have finished their MY2016 build out and the dealers are left sourcing what you are looking for (colour choice) from existing stock at other dealers in your AO.
That leaves you with a choice of what they can locate for you and it is standard practice to offer the customer 3 colour choices.
If you insist on a certain colour that cannot be found that means you move to a factory order, and that will no doubt be a 2017MY and you will have to wait for it.

If you are haggling on the price of a factory ordered unicorn you will be wasting your time, you pay what the dealer is offering the car to you for (especially Honda) and will be bound to purchase the car with a sizeable non-refundable deposit.
The reason for this is that the dealer does not want to be stuck with a flaming pink Civic with a stick that they will have a very difficult time selling if you decide to eat your deposit and back out.

Unicorns aint cheap.

I go through this regularly with Corvette and Camaro buyers, not so much with Cruze or Sonic folks.

I suggest being more flexible with colour choice and most people are (86%) if they are getting everything else they want on the car.

Hell, most folks cannot tell you what colour the car is if they are blindfolded and plopped in the drivers seat and the blindfold is removed..

LOL
View Quote

Fuck that!  If I'm spending my hard earned money on a new car, you better believe that it's going to be exactly what I want.  Not criticizing you, just that I can't for the life of me understand someone being so wishy-washy.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
First rule of retail:  what's the best product for the customer?  Whatever is in stock!
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
BMW will do special orders but you better be willing to wait 8-14 weeks . My mom and her new husband keep doing this . It makes things go slow
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone touched on the real reason they don't like to custom order cars, I'll elaborate.  90% of dealerships "dealer trade", which means they have relationships with surrounding stores so that they help each other when a customer is looking for a specific vehicle that is not currently in stock.  

So in most cases if the need to order a car comes up it is because the dealer has searched out to 500/1000 miles (whatever their internal policy is) and the vehicle the customer is looking for does not exist.  It's probably not because it's so popular either because if it was, the dealer would just sell the customer and inbound assigned vehicle (because it's so popular they have more on order).

In short they are taking a risk on having a vehicle on their lot that literally no one else wants.  "Non refundable" deposits don't really exist when the "Big bad dealership"  is the one keeping the money in the eyes of courts even though the deal fell through because the customer changed his mind during the order period.  Once a car gets built buy the mfg if special ordered the dealer owns it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Honda limits their build lists to specific "macro" models - LX/EX/SE/Touring, etc. Production volumes are adjusted carefully to match demand, with little over-production, hence, dealers get whatever they are allocated from the factory build, based on their sales volume, "Wish List", and anticipated sales forward - no provision for customization. It's their business model, and is what it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to over a dozen Honda dealers in SoCal, and NONE of them would let me order my Pilot the way I wanted. Every dealer came back with the same line that Honda corporate doesn't allow it; apparently, they build whatever the fuck they want, and divvy it up amongst the dealers however they like.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Honda limits their build lists to specific "macro" models - LX/EX/SE/Touring, etc. Production volumes are adjusted carefully to match demand, with little over-production, hence, dealers get whatever they are allocated from the factory build, based on their sales volume, "Wish List", and anticipated sales forward - no provision for customization. It's their business model, and is what it is.

It is a great business model and one that Honda, Toyota, KIA, and Nissan follow (to an extent) and why they are so successful.

It is also one that finally, within the last few years, that American automakers have started moving towards.

Years ago you could order a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford in bird sh1t green with cat furball brown interior and they would make that crap for you.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wish I could buy a car from Honda.com and have it delivered it to my driveway just like pretty much every other mobile commodity in the universe.
View Quote

That would be great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fuck that!  If I'm spending my hard earned money on a new car, you better believe that it's going to be exactly what I want.  Not criticizing you, just that I can't for the life of me understand someone being so wishy-washy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course they wanted you to sell you a Civic now, but they did do a search to try to accommodate you, you have to give them that.

Most manufacturers have finished their MY2016 build out and the dealers are left sourcing what you are looking for (colour choice) from existing stock at other dealers in your AO.
That leaves you with a choice of what they can locate for you and it is standard practice to offer the customer 3 colour choices.
If you insist on a certain colour that cannot be found that means you move to a factory order, and that will no doubt be a 2017MY and you will have to wait for it.

If you are haggling on the price of a factory ordered unicorn you will be wasting your time, you pay what the dealer is offering the car to you for (especially Honda) and will be bound to purchase the car with a sizeable non-refundable deposit.
The reason for this is that the dealer does not want to be stuck with a flaming pink Civic with a stick that they will have a very difficult time selling if you decide to eat your deposit and back out.

Unicorns aint cheap.

I go through this regularly with Corvette and Camaro buyers, not so much with Cruze or Sonic folks.

I suggest being more flexible with colour choice and most people are (86%) if they are getting everything else they want on the car.

Hell, most folks cannot tell you what colour the car is if they are blindfolded and plopped in the drivers seat and the blindfold is removed..

LOL

I did state 86%.

Many folks will wait for the next model year if they can specifically order what they want.

Either way, it's money in the bank for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Japanese and European car manufacturers don't like to do "special orders" and most dealerships won't touch special order deals.
I have only seen one fleet sales office in a Japanese car dealership, and even then they would not deal in one and twos, they were only interested in selling "fleet" sales.

View Quote

I ordered my 2016 Subaru wrx custom, i.e. options I wanted without a fuss
I was adamant about getting what I want
Took 6 weeks I think, my father is friends with the fleet manager so that could have been why
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In TX-OK-LA-AR-MS, Gulf States Toyota is the distributor and pretty much dictates what the dealers get.  You can order, but it's a hassle.
View Quote

RCSB 2wd 5.7 tundra please in quicksand.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unicorns aint cheap.

LOL
View Quote

So a base model Civic in blue is a unicorn.  Next tell us how rare a white Corolla is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Normally foreign manufactures don't take orders, they build it and you take it, they have a set number of a certain model with a certain option package.  Even if the car is built in the states, they don't take orders.

I remember back before I went into the service, I worked at a car dealership for a summer and we got what they sent us, period, no way to change what you got.  Chevy, Dodge, Ford, sure you can order a car, Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc, no way no how, each production run is programed to maximize profits

I would be very surprised if he is actually "Ordering" you a car, what he is going to do is a search 50 state and Canada wide to see if he can find what you want and trade one of his and have yours ship to him, so be very prepared to wait a really long time for it to show up, if it ever shows up!

Did you give him a deposit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a 16 year old who just got her license and another turning 15 in October who will be getting her learning permit...so I decided I needed an econobox with a manual transmission so they could get confident with driving a stick.

We test drove a Corolla and a Civic, and liked the Civic a little better.  Of course, neither the Toyota nor the Honda dealers had a manual transmission in stock, only the CVTs.

So at Honda I ask them to order the car I wanted in the color my daughter liked best.  Salesman wanders off and then the manager comes over, tries to sell me on the CVT as it gets better mileage.  I explain my goals again, emphasizing the desire for a clutch pedal.

Then he tries to sell me a used Civic with a manual transmission he has on the lot.  No thanks.

Manager wanders off, comes back with two cars they've located in a twelve state search.  Manual transmissions, but wrong color.

I finally said, "Can I just order the car I want?"

He answered, "We can try, but if we can't do you want one of these other two?"

My answer was a big grin and, "Why couldn't you do it?  I have complete confidence in you!"

He laughed, and they finally ordered the car I had been trying to buy for past half hour.

What is the big friggin' deal about ordering?

Normally foreign manufactures don't take orders, they build it and you take it, they have a set number of a certain model with a certain option package.  Even if the car is built in the states, they don't take orders.

I remember back before I went into the service, I worked at a car dealership for a summer and we got what they sent us, period, no way to change what you got.  Chevy, Dodge, Ford, sure you can order a car, Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc, no way no how, each production run is programed to maximize profits

I would be very surprised if he is actually "Ordering" you a car, what he is going to do is a search 50 state and Canada wide to see if he can find what you want and trade one of his and have yours ship to him, so be very prepared to wait a really long time for it to show up, if it ever shows up!

Did you give him a deposit?

One thousand dollar deposit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
My Chebby dealer had no problem with me ordering my Camaro.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
A used car would probably be wiser, as someone suggested, but I might have PTSD from the fleet of junk cars I drove growing up (picture a rusted out 1976 Buick Estate Wagon with cookie sheets for the driver's floorboard and a body with about 30% Bondo/fiberglass content, covered with an Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car, any color for $99!" paint job in turd brown).

I pretty much vowed to only buy new when I could afford it.

As far as price, I agreed to close to MSRP.  According to Edmunds most dealers are only coming down about a grand from sticker, so I wasn't going to get too spun up about that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They get allotments of special orders but those are limited so they give them out only when they have to do so.

I just special ordered a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and it took two dealers before I found one willing to do the work. About this time of year the allocations dry up and factory will stop taking orders for 2016 and start preparing and producing the 2017's.
View Quote

They are limited in the number of special orders?  Then all the manufactures websites that allow you to build your vehicle and fwd the build sheet to a dealer are wrong.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Honda has been moving away from manuals in the last few years. They even went so far as to make them softer and easier to use, which defies logic since they are suggesting only the diehard users still  buy them(people who already know how to shift).

When I shopped around for an Accord Ex manual I discovered the extremely limited color options available in that trim level...it was a choice Henry Ford would have loved, any color I want as long as it's black. They made the model I wanted and the color I wanted in Canada though.
If Soichiro Honda were alive today, he'd fire most of the current leadership while having a heart attack.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Last time I ordered a vehicle the way I wanted it they got it in [put a deposit on it] and then listed it for sale on their web site. Salesman was a total tard, gave the dealer and salesman a poor review to the manufacturer, dealer was less then happy about it. Their claim was that they list ALL vehicles on their web site for sale even though it may be a vehicle someone has ordered and paid a down payment on. [they never even bothered to call me when it came in, I saw it on their site and called them]

Since it was a vehicle Toyota was discontinuing in the US, it was right at the last few shipments, if they would have sold it on, I wouldn't have been able to order another one. I have no doubt they wanted to sell it on for a few more grand then I was paying.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
15 year old learning how to drive a standard and you're looking at brand new cars?

Get an older cheap car and thank yourself later.
View Quote

Best advice so far.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Went to 2 Toyota dealers, looking for a Tacoma with a manual. They finally found one in Sierra Vista, AZ and brought it up. (3 hours away)

In the mean time, I was dickering over price with a dealer in Southern California that had the I4 5speed(holy shit, there's a lot of them)

Ended up with what I wanted, Access cab, 4x4 6 speed, TRD off-road with a big silly nav system that added 1k. Didn't care about color, got the silver one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went to over a dozen Honda dealers in SoCal, and NONE of them would let me order my Pilot the way I wanted. Every dealer came back with the same line that Honda corporate doesn't allow it; apparently, they build whatever the fuck they want, and divvy it up amongst the dealers however they like.

View Quote

THAT is the truth.  Dealerships don't order vehicles, they get what Honda ships them.  They can "request" certain vehicles, but no guarantees.

No all dealerships will swap with other dealerships (bad blood ya know)...  

They want to Sell You a Car RIGHT FRIGGING NOW - (A) So you don't drift off to another dealership or brand  (B) Demand to renegotiate a better price than originally agreed, and (C) they are paying interest on the vehicles sitting on their line, so they want to turn it over and move it out as every day costs $$$ ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
The wife and I recently ordered a new Challenger from the local dealer.

They had no problem spec-ing it out and ordering it for us.

Took about 3 months to get it in.  And got it below invoice. I have heard some dealers will only do sticker on orders.

Helped we were friends with the sales manager.

ETA: Dealer did not want a dime up front. We paid cash when we picked it up.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I imagine there is some fraction of customers who have them order cars with weird, unsalable option combos and then they back out.
View Quote

This, and the clock is always ticking on the cars they have in stock. After X amount of days on the ground they start having to pay fees on them to the floor plan lender.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got a 16 year old who just got her license and another turning 15 in October who will be getting her learning permit...so I decided I needed an econobox with a manual transmission so they could get confident with driving a stick.

We test drove a Corolla and a Civic, and liked the Civic a little better.  Of course, neither the Toyota nor the Honda dealers had a manual transmission in stock, only the CVTs.

So at Honda I ask them to order the car I wanted in the color my daughter liked best.  Salesman wanders off and then the manager comes over, tries to sell me on the CVT as it gets better mileage.  I explain my goals again, emphasizing the desire for a clutch pedal.

Then he tries to sell me a used Civic with a manual transmission he has on the lot.  No thanks.

Manager wanders off, comes back with two cars they've located in a twelve state search.  Manual transmissions, but wrong color.

I finally said, "Can I just order the car I want?"

He answered, "We can try, but if we can't do you want one of these other two?"

My answer was a big grin and, "Why couldn't you do it?  I have complete confidence in you!"

He laughed, and they finally ordered the car I had been trying to buy for past half hour.

What is the big friggin' deal about ordering?
View Quote

I ordered a Toyota 4Runner at the dealership 2 days ago, didnt give me the first problem and even found one that was currently on the ship here that matched what i wanted and it will be pulled off the boat and sent to the dealer. My guess if the dealer doesnt wanna take your money go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That was my experience.  I wanted a specific Toyota and they had lots of trouble getting it in.  Delay after delay.  Finally got it, but heaven forbid I wanted the car within the next 2 months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In TX-OK-LA-AR-MS, Gulf States Toyota is the distributor and pretty much dictates what the dealers get.  You can order, but it's a hassle.

That was my experience.  I wanted a specific Toyota and they had lots of trouble getting it in.  Delay after delay.  Finally got it, but heaven forbid I wanted the car within the next 2 months.

Ordered a Toyota 4Runner 2 days ago, didnt give me the first problem even found one that was on the "boat" that will be pulled for me. I live in Florida.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Ordered a new outback last year, had it in a week.  Easy if your dealer wants to deal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wish I could buy a car from Honda.com and have it delivered it to my driveway just like pretty much every other mobile commodity in the universe.
View Quote

Amazon of cars. I've been saying it for years. It will come eventually. Pick all of your options, shop your financing or pick your cash right there with honest list of options and how much they cost you, and boom 2-14 days later depending on options the car shows up on your driveway with the keys in a box set on your doorstep. I can dream right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Japanese and European car manufacturers don't like to do "special orders" and most dealerships won't touch special order deals.
I have only seen one fleet sales office in a Japanese car dealership, and even then they would not deal in one and twos, they were only interested in selling "fleet" sales.

View Quote

Completely wrong. Euro manufacturers are happy to order a car to your specs. They even many times offer "European delivery". Ever look at the option list for a Porsche?  BMW's US plant says 80% of production is customer-optioned vehicles. We ordered our X5 to get exactly what we want. Took 6 weeks. They even have a website so you can track the build status.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can't renege on a deal once you take delivery.
View Quote

You can in several states. You may have up to three days to change your mind and void the contract.

Car dealers don't pay for the cars on the lot. They finance them. It's called a floor plan. They pay more interest depending on how long they had the car. The faster they sell it, the less they pay in interest for the inventory. That's why they want to move the cars on the lot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I imagine there is some fraction of customers who have them order cars with weird, unsalable option combos and then they back out.
View Quote

That's pretty much it exactly. A whole lot can change in the 2-3 months it takes the car to come in. Add in floor plan dealers having to pay interest on everything on their lot and the incentive is to sell what you have.

Generally speaking, if it was a "specialty" vehicle general practice would be a non-refundable down payment that has a tendency to hold wishy-washy customers to the deal a little better.

Making matters worse, key points of the actual "deal" can and will change over the months waiting. Things like trade acv, incentives and rebates. And sometimes they don't change for the better. So if a dealer has a customer who tries to negotiate, which you have to assume everyone will, even a commitment at time of ordering can spoil the deal. Or if the salesman is dumb enough to quote price/payment at time of ordering and things change the dealer can lose a lot of money.

In short, it's a big hassle that can cost the dealer a lot of money if anything goes wrong.

In the OP's case, a manual econo-box will probably sit on the lot for years, throw in a special color and you are stuck with it, all while it costs the dealer loads of money that will never be realized.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Hueberger Subaru, in Colorado Springs, CO, will order whatever you want, and tell you exactly how much it will cost. My experience having them order a Subaru BRZ for me was great, and the price I paid was better than I had hoped to negotiate for. In fact, many of the people on the BRZ forum site I frequent ordered theirs from Hueberger, and flew to Colorado to pick it up--that's how much money they saved.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:37:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

At one time this was basically true. Honda does (or at least did) weird and annoying shit like this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So a base model Civic in blue is a unicorn.  Next tell us how rare a white Corolla is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unicorns aint cheap.

LOL

A base model civic in ANY color can be a unicorn, unless (for example) it's silver. Why? Because Honda decided the public should buy one blue, one burgandy, ten white, and nine hundred silver that year. Add a manual to that and you can just give that shit up. The saving grace is that Honda customers know and expect this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#32]
It's harder for the foreign car dealers than the U.S. Manufacturer as the U.S. Folks literally place an order for your car.  If it's imported they have to hope one is being imported that meets your needs.  Obviously the Japanese trucksvi believe they are all made here would be easier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Unless you put money down on it the car is not a guarantee sale.

Look it from the other side I have sitting product. I need to sell sitting product. Sure you can special order a car but what happens if you dont show up. More inventory and less money for the dealership. Specially looking from just purely the manual transmission the ones they do have on the floor will be the last ones they sell and with the thinnest of margin. Now Im not saying you wont pick up the car but i bet most dealerships have been burned more times than not on a special order
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:06:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unicorns aint cheap.

LOL

Less than 10% of civics are manual.  Around 9% are blue.  So, that gives you less than 1% of Civics made, as the best case scenario.  Much less, considering you want the base model, which is another fraction of the total production - a quick google search didn't reveal the numbers, but assuming even half are base model (I suspect it's much, much lower with the advent of the turbos) you're looking at, essentially less than .5% of Civic production.  And that's an optimistic number.  Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Best advice so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
15 year old learning how to drive a standard and you're looking at brand new cars?

Get an older cheap car and thank yourself later.

Best advice so far.

I'm more surprised it took till 1/2 into page 2.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Several years ago, my daughter researched and figured out exactly what she wanted: A new Avalon in pearl white finish with fake wood grain interior trim, certain wheels, etc.

We stopped at the local dealer first. He tried to sell her a red Avalon with no wood grain and the wrong wheels they had on the lot. My daughter passed on that one.

He said that he could not attempt to locate one for her.

We drove to the dealer in the next town and the nice sales lady took 5 minutes, found one in Texas, and had it on their lot for my daughter to pick up the next day.  

It can be done.  Sales people are just lazy or ignorant sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We love our new Pilot!

The only complaint my wife had was that it didn't have a CD player in it.

Only because none of the other comparable vehicles have one either, except the Nissan Pathfinder, did she decide that not having one was okay.

BigDozer66
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We love our new Pilot!

The only complaint my wife had was that it didn't have a CD player in it.

Only because none of the other comparable vehicles have one either, except the Nissan Pathfinder, did she decide that not having one was okay.

BigDozer66

Had a client with the same beef.  I showed her how to "rip" the music from her CDs to her computer, and then just copy over to a USB drive.  Plugged it into the console USB port and instead of a "one CD Changer", she now enjoys a 50 CD music machine...  

Enjoy!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Salesmen fucking lie.

I was trying to buy a silver 2013 Accord EXL/Nav in 2013. And the dealers sales guy kept giving me the runaround as to why he couldn't get it. After 3 BS conversations, I looked online and there was one at another dealer not 25 miles away. I was like "Do you want to sell me a car or not? I'll go buy it elsewhere if you want to play games." They had the car I wanted the next business day.

I was paying cash.

View Quote

I can assure you with 100% confidence that based on years of personal experience, that buyers lie far more than salespeople do.

I don't need to lie to sell cars, but I deal with lying customers on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unicorns aint cheap.

LOL

Deeeerp

They did a search, probably out to 500-1000 mile radius and exactly ZERO were found.  So yes, it is a unicorn.  If it wasn't, you wouldn't have had to order it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They want to turn over their existing inventory.
View Quote

Yep, they'd like to sell something from that depreciating $2,000,000 they're sitting on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Last time I ordered a vehicle the way I wanted it they got it in [put a deposit on it] and then listed it for sale on their web site. Salesman was a total tard, gave the dealer and salesman a poor review to the manufacturer, dealer was less then happy about it. Their claim was that they list ALL vehicles on their web site for sale even though it may be a vehicle someone has ordered and paid a down payment on. [they never even bothered to call me when it came in, I saw it on their site and called them]

Since it was a vehicle Toyota was discontinuing in the US, it was right at the last few shipments, if they would have sold it on, I wouldn't have been able to order another one. I have no doubt they wanted to sell it on for a few more grand then I was paying.

View Quote

Our website automatically pulls in-transit vehicles and posts to the website.  No mystery conspiracy and complete dick move burning your salesman on his survey that greatly affects his paycheck for reasons beyond his control
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I remmber  people buying COPOS in the late 70's
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This.

I recently went through this, I wanted a Jeep Patriot with zero options, no AC, Manual transmission, crank windows, manual locks no options at all (you know all of those people who swear they want a basic, no frills vehicle, I don't just say so, I mean it). Most dealers don't keep vehicles like that on the lot. One dealer was happy to order one for me, but it wouldn't come with most of the incentives available on in stock vehicles, so it would have been more expensive than a loaded in stock version. I found a dealer a couple of counties over that had one. Got it stupid cheap, it was the vehicle that they would run adds for, you know the ads where they tell about a vehicle priced so cheap that you automatically know there is something wrong with it, in this case you can damn near offer a new vehicle for free and it won't sell if it doesn't have AC in GA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They want to turn over their existing inventory.
This.

I recently went through this, I wanted a Jeep Patriot with zero options, no AC, Manual transmission, crank windows, manual locks no options at all (you know all of those people who swear they want a basic, no frills vehicle, I don't just say so, I mean it). Most dealers don't keep vehicles like that on the lot. One dealer was happy to order one for me, but it wouldn't come with most of the incentives available on in stock vehicles, so it would have been more expensive than a loaded in stock version. I found a dealer a couple of counties over that had one. Got it stupid cheap, it was the vehicle that they would run adds for, you know the ads where they tell about a vehicle priced so cheap that you automatically know there is something wrong with it, in this case you can damn near offer a new vehicle for free and it won't sell if it doesn't have AC in GA.

crank windows..............Yes

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lies.

I ordered my BMW so have a lot of other people. European delivery too.

*ordered my BMW from a german dealer.

Hell I ordered the wifes car, a volvo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Mine did
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Because the dealer gets bonuses from the manufacturer by moving a certain number of cars from their inventory.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would make me mad as well. Was it a FJ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Our website automatically pulls in-transit vehicles and posts to the website.  No mystery conspiracy and complete dick move burning your salesman on his survey that greatly affects his paycheck for reasons beyond his control
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a question you may be able to answer.
In 2013 I bought a Red Explorer XLT. The trim level basically had all the options I desired, so nothing oddball. It seemed like a popular model.
Any idea why the sales guy was such a pain in the ass about it? I told him I didn't need it today and I could wait for one to come in if he wanted to let me know.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top