Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to shot by one.  I wouldn't want to be shot by .380 or 9 Mak either.
View Quote

Shit, I wouldn't want to be shot by a cheap ass BB pistol
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

For non +P you may have something. I remember a case where a guy had someone shoot him with a 38 for some sort of scam or to blame someone else.

He reasoned to use a wadcutter target load so it wouldn't hurt him too bad. Killed him deader than shit. Recovered bullet was .70+

The original Hydroshock before it has made by Federal was nothing but a HBWC turned backwards with a post in the middle.

I think these would do OK in warm weather but may have trouble with heavy clothes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Colt Cobra snub nose revolver, not supposed to run +p ammo in it.  That leaves me with plain .38 jhp ammo if I want to use this revolver as a concealed carry gun.

I like wadcutters in a .38 snubby.

For non +P you may have something. I remember a case where a guy had someone shoot him with a 38 for some sort of scam or to blame someone else.

He reasoned to use a wadcutter target load so it wouldn't hurt him too bad. Killed him deader than shit. Recovered bullet was .70+

The original Hydroshock before it has made by Federal was nothing but a HBWC turned backwards with a post in the middle.

I think these would do OK in warm weather but may have trouble with heavy clothes.

A .38 wadcutter will shoot thru both doors if a Dodge pickup.  I don't think clothes will be a problem
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Colt Cobra snub nose revolver, not supposed to run +p ammo in it.  That leaves me with plain .38 jhp ammo if I want to use this revolver as a concealed carry gun.

I like wadcutters in a .38 snubby.

I can absolutely assure you that a swaged lead HBWC at 750 fps will damn near turn a raccoon inside out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry my great grandfathers off duty .38 quite often and have no worries about it in a situation that I might need it, a hell of a lot of people have been put down with a .38 over the years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No it is worthless... People are a lot harder to kill now than at anytime in the past...Nothing less than a 12 guage slug at point blank range is a reliable man stopper.
View Quote

To be sure, get a 10. 10 gauge, that is.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where are you guys coming up with  a 38 being the same as a 380?  They are pretty much the same diameter bullet, but the 38 case is a lot longer for powder. Traditional 125-158gr bullet are better then a 90gr-115gr 380auto....... BUT why limit yourself to 6 shots out of a long and bulky little revolver? There are plenty of 9+1 and 10+1 reliable auto pistols out there that conceal easier then that thing. The ONLY advantage I see with a revolver is that I'm NOT going to pull that loooong trigger by mistake....like can happen with an auto. So I use my brain and think......and I've had no mishaps in 20 years of carrying!  To each his own I suppose.
View Quote
I've carried for 3 years now and just got a snub because it carries/conceals so much better.
It's wider than my subcompacts but it's also lighter and the curved grip really forms to my body and disappears. It also fits my hand better, and even though my trigger finger is pulling the the middle of the finger I can still hold it steadier through the pull than any of my tricked-out semi-auto pistols.

I'll be loading up some 158gr LSWC pills over a medium charge of Unique to shoot and carry until I can find some 135gr Gold Dots for sale at a reasonable price. The old LSWC is damn effective on target, though not ideal since it'll penetrate a bit too well.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I always enjoy it when we have 90 gr .380 and 115-124 gr 9mm glock users questioning or arguing whether a 158 gr at 850 fps is still viable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
S&W 637-2 airweight

GDHP 135gr +P

Rem Golden Sabre 125 gr. +P

Either one will get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The part about it not making sense to choose a snub.  Millions of people prove you wrong every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you are limited to pocket carry, yes. If you have the option to wear something IWB, it doesn't make sense to choose a snub over a sub/compact frame semi.

Until you actually Attempt to use that postage stamp sized semi to save your ass.

So what is wrong about what I said?

The part about it not making sense to choose a snub.  Millions of people prove you wrong every day.

To be fair what most people do rarely makes any sense. Most people buy a snub nosed revolver because they think it will be easy to shoot which cannot be further from the truth.

I have been carrying a LCP while at work this summer and I have found that I am far more proficient with it than my LCR. I realized it the first time I took my LCP to the range and I have owned my LCR for over 5 years. I will trust being able to quickly put 7 holes in a small group at 7 yards over a more powerful cartridge.

When it cools off I will be packing a single stack 9mm.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#10]
i dunno.  Shoot yourself in the thigh and the chest and report back.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#11]
It's still great at shorter ranges, which is where most defensive uses will occur.
I am a little disappointed, that there hasn't been a lot of development of new loads, (in traditional 38spl. weights), in the standard velocity stuff.
Most new ammo in the caliber, is either +P, or smaller weight (90gr. to 110gr.).
Would be nice to see some 158gr. stuff, with expandable hollowpoints.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have respect for folks that can accurately fire a snub nose with any speed at greater than 7 yards or so.

I just can't, never been able to.

I can do well out to 50 yards with my 4" 686 and Federal 158 gr JHP .38

I've probably put various .38 through that gun 80% of the time compared to .357

.38 is a pleasure to shoot and easy to be accurate with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's still great at shorter ranges, which is where most defensive uses will occur.
I am a little disappointed, that there hasn't been a lot of development of new loads, (in traditional 38spl. weights), in the standard velocity stuff.
Most new ammo in the caliber, is either +P, or smaller weight (90gr. to 110gr.).
View Quote

IIRC,  Barnes has a standard pressure Vortex load in .38 that looks good in gel tests. I need to pick some up and try it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Um.... why would it stop working?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a fun tidbit to chew on.

It's never been that great of a self defense round, only extremely common giving a false sense of effectiveness.

The failings of low pressure .38 caliber guns can be tracked all the way back through time to the 1800's. The majority of modern self defense loadings have been created and stem from research and development of finding loads that work better than .38 for stopping people.

Finally after a string of high profile failings of .38 special the scientific method was applied to how handgun bullets stop people and then there was scientific data to back up why .38 special doesn't perform well.

OP, Colt Cobras are cool and I carry one occasionally.  Now, much like they found in the 1800's, a lot of the better penetrating bullets that meet the FBI penetration min and max recommendations are the heavier loads of 148-158 grain range. Lighter bullets with that low of chamber pressure just don't have any ass to them at all, and if you dig deep you can find a lot of really poor results from testing of what is considered to be top of the line ammo.

I personally carry old school heavy  semi-wadcutter hollow points in mine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Of course it's still effective.  My J-frame is my desk gun, cuz I like to feel sophisticated and shit when I'm sitting in my office having a cigar and scotch.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Buffalo Bore has a standard pressure 158 gr lead SWCHPGC that goes the same speed as the +p stuff from other companies.   that would be OK for your Cobra.

If you want to carry the +P you can do it.   Just dont use it for practice.   A lot of it might loosen up the action.   Revolvers are proofed at 50% over pressure.   The +P loads in 38 Special are no where near that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#18]
So-called .38 cal has been planting people since the .36 Navy Colts of the mid 19th century.  Viable is a subjective term. Your big limiting factor is the 5 shot revolver platform.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
it goes pew pew right?
View Quote

Like this?

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it goes pew pew right?

Like this?

http://img.pandawhale.com/136625-pew-pew-pew-gif-giphy-kZNY.gif

I love that .gif more than I probably should.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#23]
1986 FBI Miami shootout
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#24]
given that the round was used by police for many years, I'd say it is a good offensive round in the right hands like any weapon. Besides a bad guy is more likely to retreat when he hears a gunshot of any kind directed at him more than harsh language.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yup.... and Winchester Ranger PDX1 for four inch K-Frames.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
135 grain Speer GDHP short barrel,
Yup.... and Winchester Ranger PDX1 for four inch K-Frames.  

This in my wifes Taurus 85 that we bought in 1987 (that still shoots great) and the +p variety for our J-frame Airweight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:16:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Probably on par with a typical .380. It's not great but it sure beats nothing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

380? I disagree, the .38 cartridge is the length of two 380's. 38 spl is no joke! You know not what you speak.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They sell a Venezuelan shit ton of .380 acp's every year, despite the low power and capacity. I'd much rather have a J frame in .38 or even better, a model 66 .357. It's been killing motherfuckers for quite some time. Not obsolete.
View Quote

Word...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where are you guys coming up with  a 38 being the same as a 380?  They are pretty much the same diameter bullet, but the 38 case is a lot longer for powder. Traditional 125-158gr bullet are better then a 90gr-115gr 380auto....... BUT why limit yourself to 6 shots out of a long and bulky little revolver? There are plenty of 9+1 and 10+1 reliable auto pistols out there that conceal easier then that thing. The ONLY advantage I see with a revolver is that I'm NOT going to pull that loooong trigger by mistake....like can happen with an auto. So I use my brain and think......and I've had no mishaps in 20 years of carrying!  To each his own I suppose.
View Quote

The guy that said a 38 is on par with a 380 doesnt know wtf hes talking about, and the OP was asking about his 38spl revolver, not a semi auto.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

it goes pew pew right?
View Quote
Nope.

It only goes puff puff not pew pew.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:33:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So-called .38 cal has been planting people since the .36 Navy Colts of the mid 19th century.  Viable is a subjective term. Your big limiting factor is the 5 shot revolver platform.
View Quote
So-called .38 has been letting people down causing them to search for better solutions for just as long.

Sure .38 has been killing people since the mid 19th century... after a few days from sepsis.

Also Cobras are 6 shots not 5.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:35:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Still got a bunch of Federal Nyclad in 38sp. Works well in my Model 37 Smith.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#32]
http://rimrockbullets.net/g-ch-38spc-357mag-158-gr-swc-hp-per-100.html

The answer you seek.

The solid swc are around $75 for 1000.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Underwood ammo. https://www.underwoodammo.com/38-special-158-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-gas-check/

Roll your own for about $0.25 starline brass and rimrock bullets. Std pressure or +p, whichever you want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I wouldn't want to get shot by it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Why not? It punches holes through bad guys doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm torn between .38 special and .327 magnum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Of course it is.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Hell yeah .38spl is still a "viable" defense round.

1) Out of snubby barrels (<2") the difference between .357mag and .38+P is negligible except that the .38spl will be easier to control with less muzzle flash, ejecta and probably an extra round in the cylinder. Don't be fooled by comparing longer "test barrel length" data.
2) Modern loadings such as Hornady's Critical Defense are designed to optimize .38spl in handguns with short barrels.
3) You can achieve 30% more energy from .38spl+P than .380acp and plenty of people still buy new .380 chambered pocket pistols.

Is it "ideal" for a full size carry gun? NO. However, in the classic snub-nosed revolver that fits so well and so discreetly into a pocket, it still has a place in modern self-defense strategies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ding, ding, ding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
135 grain Speer GDHP short barrel,
Ding, ding, ding.

YUUUPPPPP
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yup.  I have confidence in the Buffalo Bore 158 gr. SWC in my LCR.
View Quote

+1

Same hot rounds in my 642
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm torn between .38 special and .327 magnum.
View Quote

I've always wanted to play with the latter, but I'm pretty sure it's a dead cartridge now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a .38 super. Not the same as .38  special.

The round I use is a plus P hollow point for carry.

It's difficult to find ammo. So I keep a hefty stock of it.

It has some stopping power.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

When did it stop being so?
View Quote

+1

I think .357 was a marketing gimmick to make people buy more pistols and more expensive ammo. 38 Special is deadly as most other things, and claims about shooting a suspect such and such times, and not going down. I take those stupid "fish" stories with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I use wad cutters in my snubbie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the non reloaders, weren't full power wadcutters popular years ago ?    Are they available these days?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

No it is worthless... People are a lot harder to kill now than at anytime in the past...Nothing less than a 12 guage slug at point blank range is a reliable man stopper.
View Quote
Adding 2 to 6 inches of extra fat on the outside, plus internal body cavity fat might make a difference.

I can see average penetration requirements being higher than they were 40 years ago for that reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#49]
As long as you remember all handgun rounds are a compromise there really isn't anything that can't be used for self defense.

We sacrifice power for concealment or comfort or recoil control, or we sacrifice concealment, comfort, or recoil control for power.

Cary the most powerful round that you can conceal, control, and carry without fatigue and you will have the best protection you can have. All of those factors have limits due to clothing, body type, weather etc.

We're lucky today in that we have .380s as small and slim as .22lr and .22mag pistols were up until the turn of this century.

.38spc has killed or taken people out of a fight since 1898, and until the last 25 years reliable JHPs were hard to get. Early designs either were prone to clog or not expand for other reasons, or the reliably expanding designs didn't penetrate enough in order to ensure expansion. Today's projectiles have both properties in spades, making smaller calibers much better options than ever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For the non reloaders, weren't full power wadcutters popular years ago ?    Are they available these days?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This might be what you want?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top