Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ugh theres like 6 of these bastids in my man cave hanging around in random places and two damn red orb weavers right at the entrance too. Fire is in order might have to burn the man cave down.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I kept a female PM as a pet when I was a kid, she lived almost a year and got about 6" long.  She would sit on your head or shoulder and bob like a leaf in the wind.  Fed her crickets and grasshoppers.

I see them all the time around the house now, one big female sits on the same branch of a bush out front every night.
Related note, came out to a ~8" long stick bug on my wife's car the other day, haven't seen one of those that big in forever.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ugh theres like 6 of these bastids in my man cave hanging around in random places and two damn red orb weavers right at the entrance too. Fire is in order might have to burn the man cave down.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14500670_1419447091402018_518024490187293808_o.jpg

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14522883_1419448464735214_7551275774333705603_n.jpg?oh=14d64524aff5682625c6dbc121f41401&oe=58ACD409
View Quote

I normally just try to shoo them away to build webs somewhere besides face high across the gate or doorway
But brake cleaner works on the stubborn ones that are out of reach.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
We traveled to Florida and returned home with a bunch of Green Anoles (basically a small lizard).

We also caught a 4-5" long praying mantis when we got home, which is pretty large compared to the ones we normally see.

Being the teenagers we were, we put them all in a cage together to see what would happen.

THAT MOTHER FUCKING PRAYING MANTIS KILLED AND ATE ALL OF THE ANOLES!

Since then I have made it my life goal to kill as many of those fuckers as possible.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Read title, looked at author, knew I was getting good macro pics before clicking the thread.

Nicely done OP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere I have a video I took of a dragonfly eating the hell out of another dragonfly...
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
It moved over a little bit last night but now its on the tree in front of the door, bastid. They arent doing a good job of keeping bugs out so this afternoon brake cleaner it is!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since then I have made it my life goal to kill as many of those fuckers as possible.
View Quote

Why would you do that?
It ate the anoles because that's what you gave it to eat, outside they're eating all kinds of nasty critters.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.  

I don't know why, but they come off as "friendly" or "inquisitive" when you find them.  I've always wanted a few as pets, which you can actually order.

Obligatory:

Language NSFW

https://youtu.be/BsyZ7mfq11A
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always loved praying mantises. Of all the bugs we encountered growing up and playing outside, they were far and away the most friendly and good natured. They just seemed really laid back, never tried to bite.

This.  

I don't know why, but they come off as "friendly" or "inquisitive" when you find them.  I've always wanted a few as pets, which you can actually order.

Obligatory:

Language NSFW

https://youtu.be/BsyZ7mfq11A

Tons of them in my area in PA especially now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It moved over a little bit last night but now its on the tree in front of the door, bastid. They arent doing a good job of keeping bugs out so this afternoon brake cleaner it is!
View Quote

Chlorinated...
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Juvenile Xenomorph.

Run.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

THAT brings back memories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

THAT brings back memories.

Ahh space ghost.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Florida Bark Mantis on a cedar tree in my back yard.
http://i.imgur.com/XpFe9Qn.jpg
View Quote

Devil's Flower Mantis

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
the always fabulous orchid mantis

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice captures!

Mantids are great insects. I had this one chilling in our basil plant for a couple weeks and feeding off the flies.

It was fun watching her hunt.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#18]
They are kool op.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Come at me bro...

http://i33.tinypic.com/155m0as.jpg  
View Quote

FO3 flashbacks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Years ago, cruising timber, I watched a mantis snag a yellow jacket out of the air and bite its head off.

Scary indeed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I kept a female PM as a pet when I was a kid, she lived almost a year and got about 6" long.  She would sit on your head or shoulder and bob like a leaf in the wind.  Fed her crickets and grasshoppers.

I see them all the time around the house now, one big female sits on the same branch of a bush out front every night.
Related note, came out to a ~8" long stick bug on my wife's car the other day, haven't seen one of those that big in forever.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20160924_204157153.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20160918_091246405.jpg
View Quote

A big mantis came flying into my boiler house here at work last spring and landed on my shoulder. Scared the jebeezuz outta me until I realized what it was. It stayed there for a few hours and finally flew off when I went outside. They're pretty cool for a bug.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#22]
One time, the port-o-cans that the camp grounds I used to frequent had what you could might call an infestation of praying mantis'. However these were all baby praying mantis, so it was kind of cute. At most these things were 1cm long.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to have a pet praying mantis.  She was cool.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's pretty funny. The good news is, I've never known them to be dangerous to people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid praying mantis were something we read about, thought would be cool, watched videos in science class, ect.  There were NONE, at all, in the Portland area when I was a kid.

Moved away for several years, then moved back.  Got a job framing houses.  Picked up a stack of 2x4's, threw them on my shoulder, and started walking.  Then I became aware of some bug climbing onto my head.  About the time I realized it had legs on TOP of my ear, and legs BELOW my ear I wigged the F'k out.  Tossed the boards and started slapping myself on the head like it had caught fire.  I think my legs were doing something about relocating my body to another county, but each leg had it's own idea about what direction to go.

Little did I know people had been importing the damn things.  You would think that should be up on some sort of public notice at the airport.  You know, "Attention, we now have gigantic bugs that like to crawl on your face, in case you haven't been around the last 10 years."

That's pretty funny. The good news is, I've never known them to be dangerous to people.

if they were the size of a Great Dane, man would have been extinct a bazillion years ago.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Fist picture made me think of:

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Several years ago, my daughter and I fed one bugs for an entire summer.  It stayed in the bushes in front of our house, and was almost always out on the brick when we came from school/work.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

However, it's tough to overcome the initial "holy fucking shit there's a bug on me that's huge get it off get it off get it off" feeling of an unexpected bug crawling on you, no matter how harmless it is.
View Quote

I danced a funny jig in the kitchen in front of my wife the other day when I thought a yellow jacket landed on the back of my arm.   Turned out to be one of those funky bee flies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I pulled a big praying mantis out of my truck's grille last week, and it was only mostly dead, so it was slightly alive. Its coloring had changed over to a brown-ish gold, which I hadn't seen before. It tried to fly away but was too messed up, and its back half was damaged badly, as well. I gave it a mercy-squish, but felt a little guilty about it.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Common Railroad Spike Mantis

screen shot pc
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Gotta love insects that eat their mates.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
The execution of the OP made me laugh so hard, just showed one of the guys I work with because my face was beat red
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#35]
its reptilian like Obammy and Killary Cuntonious
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cool pics.

I get a bunch of those guys and its creepy cousin,  the Dobson Fly (not my pic),  on my windows at night.   Light attracts the smaller bugs,  and smaller bugs attract these two.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w529/afroney/Male%20Eastern%20Dobsonfly_zpsvv7koter.jpg
View Quote

Yep everybody likes to hunt over bait.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That is a female, cleaning her ovipositor.
View Quote

It just got back from the range?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Female mantis autocunnilingus.

Reported.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#39]
See, I did not know that a Mantis could rim themselves.
Add another knowledge nugget to all the nutty stuff I've learned from GD
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Any pics of an Atheist Mantis?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid praying mantis were something we read about, thought would be cool, watched videos in science class, ect.  There were NONE, at all, in the Portland area when I was a kid.

Moved away for several years, then moved back.  Got a job framing houses.  Picked up a stack of 2x4's, threw them on my shoulder, and started walking.  Then I became aware of some bug climbing onto my head.  About the time I realized it had legs on TOP of my ear, and legs BELOW my ear I wigged the F'k out.  Tossed the boards and started slapping myself on the head like it had caught fire.  I think my legs were doing something about relocating my body to another county, but each leg had it's own idea about what direction to go.

Little did I know people had been importing the damn things.  You would think that should be up on some sort of public notice at the airport.  You know, "Attention, we now have gigantic bugs that like to crawl on your face, in case you haven't been around the last 10 years."  

No.  Not dangerous to people.  But they cause you to do stuff that can be dangerous to yourself and other people, like lose control of your car while you're freaking out over the mantis getting into your face.

However, let one of those damn things bite you and you'll learn that while they aren't dangerous, they hurt like HELL and will take out a chunk of skin if you provoke them into biting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The other morning I was leaving for work and as I turned to lock the door behind me there was a weird little bug on the frame. It spread it's arms out just like a mantis when it saw me. I took a picture of it with my Nexus 6p but it was too dark to come out properly. I'm assuming it was a baby mantis because it looked exactly like a mantis but much much smaller.

This isn't my picture but it looked exactly like this and about as small:

http://www.nhm.org/nature/sites/default/files/images/blog/DSC01857.JPG

This is my picture. Sorry it's crappy.

http://<a href=http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff503/nomadcity/IMG_20160929_054906.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Your little green red-eyed insect is Zelus luridus, a species of assassin bug.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Being seeing a lot of them around here this year. Normally just one every few years or so but this year we have seen 3 in the last week. One was green the other two were brown.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a female, cleaning her ovipositor.

Nope. Just back from having the hubby for lunch.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Be honest......you'd do it too if you could.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other morning I was leaving for work and as I turned to lock the door behind me there was a weird little bug on the frame. It spread it's arms out just like a mantis when it saw me. I took a picture of it with my Nexus 6p but it was too dark to come out properly. I'm assuming it was a baby mantis because it looked exactly like a mantis but much much smaller.

This isn't my picture but it looked exactly like this and about as small:

http://www.nhm.org/nature/sites/default/files/images/blog/DSC01857.JPG

This is my picture. Sorry it's crappy.

http://<a href=http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff503/nomadcity/IMG_20160929_054906.jpg</a>" />

Oh, I didn't know. I assumed it was a mantis because when it saw me come out the door it's arms went up like a mantis and it watched me. It was still pretty cool to see.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh, I didn't know. I assumed it was a mantis because when it saw me come out the door it's arms went up like a mantis and it watched me. It was still pretty cool to see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a mantid, Z. luridus is a predator and exhibits predatory behavior when it sees motion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#49]
As a new beekeeper, this video really disturbs me!

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#50]
If I was a bug and was going to be eaten alive, I'd hope the mantis started with my head first.

Imagine you're a human and after 15 minutes has passed and something with a mouth the size of a human eating you alive from your feet and it only go to your ass

Nature, you scary!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top