BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You get as much representation as you earn.

No stake. No say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our founders never intended voting to be a universal right.

It was intended and written into the constitution to be an earned privilege.

They knew a constituency with no skin in the game would destroy the country.

They knew a voter base full of uneducated, uninformed people will vote for leaders who are unfit.

Those with nothing to lose and no interest at stake would vote away rights, liberty, at the promise for a hand out.

And here we are. The blue smoke is out of the box and there's no way to put it back in. And the number of voters with no skin in the game out number those who do, or soon will.

Not really a fan of tyranny myself, but that's probably just because I am overly fond of liberty and representative government.

You get as much representation as you earn.

No stake. No say.

That last part is key.  If you have no stake (business and/or land ownership for example)  then you could conceivably not care about what happens.  Oh wait...that happened...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No representation without taxation.
View Quote

I like the concept, but I think it would be too easy to "cheat".  I can already see the mailer of a $5 check (of Soros's money) already made out the feds and this form already filled out:

Bang... instant "taxpayer".

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No representation without taxation.
View Quote

The untaxed would be represented, but would not be involved in picking the representative.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
i don't think you should be allowed to vote unless you file a tax return every year

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They incorrectly assumed sense and intellect would carry on and didn't see the need to spell out things they thought so obvious.

Make something foolproof and only fools will use it sort of thing imho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the founders had wanted only a subset of the population to vote, they should have written it into the Constitution.

It was in states constitutions.

The mentality at the time was sovereign states. Who would think of letting idiots decide how we're governed?

Then politicians figured out that uninformed voters of little means are easy votes to buy.

Correct.

And the founders left a means to correct an injustice if the people of the several states decided to.

If they had felt strongly about it they should have written it into Article I and defined who could vote.

They incorrectly assumed sense and intellect would carry on and didn't see the need to spell out things they thought so obvious.

Just so long as you understand that any mechanism to limit voting to a subset you approve of, will eventually be used against you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I agree, but you are going to get hammered
View Quote

This.  It wasn't even seen so much as women not being able to vote, but rather, it was seen as the head of household casting a vote for the family.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would hope we could all agree that if you don't contribute, you have no right to direct the course of the country.
Voting yourself a larger welfare check, to be paid by those who contribute, while shaming those very individuals paying your way, is lunacy.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just look at who screams the loudest anytime any accountability at all is suggested for voting rights.

It'll be a cold day in he'll if we were to ever be able to require any competency or knowledge  to vote.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would hope we could all agree that if you don't contribute, you have no right to direct the course of the country.

Voting yourself a larger welfare check, to be paid by those who contribute, while shaming those very individuals paying your way, is lunacy.

Yes.

Yet, here we are.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My beloved wife has stated she'd give up her right to vote for a repeal of 19th.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say it more simply: Women's suffrage is the core issue. There are so many wonderful female conservatives that I hate saying it, but most female voters are immune to reason and logic. Everyone I know that can't be trusted to hold a civil political discussion is a woman. They make "feels" a core political ideology.

There is nothing that can be done obviously other than to try to breed the cuntiest women out of existence.

My beloved wife has stated she'd give up her right to vote for a repeal of 19th.

My mom and wife keep saying the same, although my wife can't vote yet.p anyways.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Take out women's suffrage and gun control shrivels up, the war on drugs and prohibition never happened.
View Quote
Y'all realize that prohibition was the 18th amendment, while women's suffrage was the 19th, right?

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the founders had wanted only a subset of the population to vote, they should have written it into the Constitution.

It was in states constitutions.

The mentality at the time was sovereign states. Who would think of letting idiots decide how we're governed?

Then politicians figured out that uninformed voters of little means are easy votes to buy.

Correct.

And the founders left a means to correct an injustice if the people of the several states decided to.

If they had felt strongly about it they should have written it into Article I and defined who could vote.

Fools, yes. But don't leave out the seven deadly sins......which all humans suffer from to one degree or another.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just look at who screams the loudest anytime any accountability at all is suggested for voting rights.

It'll be a cold day in he'll if we were to ever be able to require any competency or knowledge  to vote.
View Quote

I wonder if the "Guam will flip over" asshole would qualify to vote for himself....my guess...NO
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP nailed it.
View Quote

Ditto.......
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just so long as you understand that any mechanism to limit voting to a subset you approve of, will eventually be used against you.
View Quote

Explain how the US changed from a nation with a limited franchise into a nation with a more limited franchise. That is, tell us how a system in which voting was limited to a subset of the population became a system which prevented members of the originally enfranchised subset from voting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Like I say in most of these threads...

Racist Democrats fucked up the literacy/competency test for voting concept.  

Entire naturalization exam (not just a few random questions) for everyone at 18 and every 10 years thereafter.  No pass, no vote, no matter where you were born.
View Quote
Lol.  That wasn't a thing before the Jim Crow era.  They invented it specifically to disenfranchise black people, and the tests were all rigged so that the people giving them could fail anyone who took them no matter how they answered.  White people didn't have to take the tests, by the way.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#17]
We all enjoy pointing the gnarled finger of blame, never recognizing to whom that finger belongs to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Restricting voting was rarely an effective weapon against conservative policies.

Unrestricted voting has been highly effective against them, first with women; presently with mass immigration.

It doesn't matter that you can vote when the enemy has more voters.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i don't think you should be allowed to vote unless you file a tax return pay income tax every year

View Quote

Fixed it

I worked at Rent A Center and every year people would come in whose only income was a combination of SSI, SSD, Welfare, and child support, and they are bragging about there 10k tax return cause of their 5 bastard kids.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/eU6YDB9lqjQ[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mine too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say it more simply: Women's suffrage is the core issue. There are so many wonderful female conservatives that I hate saying it, but most female voters are immune to reason and logic. Everyone I know that can't be trusted to hold a civil political discussion is a woman. They make "feels" a core political ideology.

There is nothing that can be done obviously other than to try to breed the cuntiest women out of existence.

Mine too.

Mine too. She has seen behind the curtain and believes that women are too crazy to have a say in the way the country is run.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol.  That wasn't a thing before the Jim Crow era.  They invented it specifically to disenfranchise black people, and the tests were all rigged so that the people giving them could fail anyone who took them no matter how they answered.  White people didn't have to take the tests, by the way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Entire naturalization exam (not just a few random questions) for everyone at 18 and every 10 years thereafter.  No pass, no vote, no matter where you were born.

Actually it started in new England to keep the Irish from voting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that exactly what I said... that racist Democrats fucked up the concept?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#24]
We went wring when we allowed the argument to win that, "It is a travesty that unregistered illegals can not vote!!!"  The argument of, "Unregistered, illegal votes dilutes and hurts everyone else.  Period."

Nelson Mandela agrees:

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Just get rid of women.

That will solve all problems right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i don't think you should be allowed to vote unless you file a tax return every year

View Quote

I don't think you should be allowed to vote if you aren't a net taxpayer. So no voting for fed or state employees. Active military...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
OP effing nailed it, the 19th amendment is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think you should be allowed to vote if you aren't a net taxpayer. So no voting for fed or state employees. Active military...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya.  The guys who sign up to defend your right to free speech and 2A shouldn't be allowed to vote.

They should only be allowed to put a boot on your throat and shoot your dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Explain how the US changed from a nation with a limited franchise into a nation with a more limited franchise. That is, tell us how a system in which voting was limited to a subset of the population became a system which prevented members of the originally enfranchised subset from voting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
well now that we've come to that conclusion, who shouldn't be allowed to vote?
View Quote

FSA, illegals, women, retards, those working for/in government, anyone that refuses/can't read the Constitution before placing their vote (as an intelligence/aptitude test), refugees, and dead people

The ladies will be butthurt being lumped in, but in general women vote with their feelz instead of logic.*

*doesn't apply to all the women's here, so sorry
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Right...

Yet men have very different voting patterns. Saying "yeah but not all of them" isn't exactly a useful statement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked, we wrote an amendment to give women the right to vote...hence...changing the constitution.
There are millions of asshole men who are democrats also.........I blame the FSA mindset more than anything.

People with no skin in the game having a voice on how things are run and how our time and money is spent are the problem.

It can only end in disaster and that is what we are going to see occur if Hillary wins.

Right...

Yet men have very different voting patterns. Saying "yeah but not all of them" isn't exactly a useful statement.

Historically, men vote Republican less than ten percent more than do women.  There are better demographic predictors of voting preference than gender - marital status and population density, for example.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are better demographic predictors of voting preference than gender - marital status and population density, for example.
View Quote

This.

Why do you think the Marxists want to destroy the institution of marriage and pack us into cities?  That's been two of the most prevalent "plays" from the left over the last couple of decades, and it damn sure isn't an accident.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.

Why do you think the Marxists want to destroy the institution of marriage and pack us into cities?  That's been two of the most prevalent "plays" from the left over the last couple of decades, and it damn sure isn't an accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are better demographic predictors of voting preference than gender - marital status and population density, for example.

This.

Where does race factor into that when you have Mid 90's of black voters voting as a block for a specific candidate? That would seem to be a pretty damn good "predictor".......
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where does race factor into that when you have Mid 90's of black voters voting as a block for a specific candidate? That would seem to be a pretty damn good "predictor".......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

"Control" that ~90% block for marital status and living in an urban shithole and see how far it goes down.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Net taxpayers vote. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"Control" that ~90% block for marital status and living in an urban shithole and see how far it goes down.

View Quote

Do you have a number?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ya.  The guys who sign up to defend your right to free speech and 2A shouldn't be allowed to vote.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feels, you has them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Y'all realize that prohibition was the 18th amendment, while women's suffrage was the 19th, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take out women's suffrage and gun control shrivels up, the war on drugs and prohibition never happened.

Are you saying women couldn't vote until the 19th amendment?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you have a number?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a number?

I do not.  And I am lazy and don't feel like digging around on the interwebz for data that may or may not be there.  

It's pure conjecture on my part, albeit conjecture I'm pretty sure would turn out to be correct.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They invented it.  It's a fucked up concept.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an excellent concept.  The fact that it wasn't widely used until it was used in a shitty way doesn't change that one bit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just get rid of women.

That will solve all problems right?
View Quote

I suspect it would be very freeing for some in GD.  They can finally actualize the love that they cannot speak of.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not everywhere.  Also, note that the state legislatures are the ones who ratified the 18th amendment.  How does this reconcile with the idea that the state legislatures picking federal senators would be any different than the popular vote?  If women voting in some states could screw things up that much it doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference to me.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Our founders never intended voting to be a universal right.

It was intended and written into the constitution to be an earned privilege.

They knew a constituency with no skin in the game would destroy the country.

They knew a voter base full of uneducated, uninformed people will vote for leaders who are unfit.

Those with nothing to lose and no interest at stake would vote away rights, liberty, at the promise for a hand out.

And here we are. The blue smoke is out of the box and there's no way to put it back in. And the number of voters with no skin in the game out number those who do, or soon will.

View Quote

The red is the keystone of your whole philosophy.  

I agree and was just saying the same thing to my GF last night.  Shockingly she agreed.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The commercials they are running the most in my area are the ones that do with kids. You know, to appeal to the mothers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not everywhere.  Also, note that the state legislatures are the ones who ratified the 18th amendment.  How does this reconcile with the idea that the state legislatures picking federal senators would be any different than the popular vote?  If women voting in some states could screw things up that much it doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Women could vote in most states by that time, and their votes affected who would be ratifying the 18th amendment or not.

Additionally, federally, laws like this generally follow what the states have already done, and many states already had gone the prohibition route to make gradual progress. Anyway, the temperance movement also listed among its goals women's suffrage because women were such champions of prohibition at the time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
You want a revolution? Restricting the vote is a good way to get a revolution. Broadening the vote, on the other hand, has acted as a safety valve and allowed the system to reform without being destroyed.

As the old-line aristocrat Don Frabrizio, Prince of Salina, said in the classic novel "The Leopard," "Things must change in order that things can remain the same." This is the essence of enlightened conservatism.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You want a revolution? Restricting the vote is a good way to get a revolution. Broadening the vote, on the other hand, has acted as a safety valve and allowed the system to reform without being destroyed.

As the old-line aristocrat Don Frabrizio, Prince of Salina, said in the classic novel "The Leopard," "Things must change in order that things can remain the same." This is the essence of enlightened conservatism.
View Quote

The previous system is destroyed

Broadening the vote to the uneducated, uninformed, and those on the dole have destroyed the essence of our republic.

And it will snowball from here until it crashes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#50]
OP, I've been saying that for years myself.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top