Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been looking at an xVenture XV-2 trailer.
Pricy but I looked at converting a M101 and decided to just buy an XV-2.

I already have a RT Tent and awning for it.. For now I have them on top of a M101a2.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been looking at an xVenture XV-2 trailer.
Pricy but I looked at converting a M101 and decided to just buy an XV-2.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1411172178-854971-jpg.944195/

I already have a RT Tent and awning for it.. For now I have them on top of a M101a2.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/coyotegray/KIMG0131_zpsj09tw9wt.jpg
View Quote

Is the a2 the aluminum trailer? I've heard those tow pretty nice, but they seem to ride a little high for my use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is the a2 the aluminum trailer? I've heard those tow pretty nice, but they seem to ride a little high for my use.
View Quote

It is an a2, and it is high and not aluminum, two of the reasons I'm looking at an XVenture....
But great trailers for what they are...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
just build one.  it isnt that hard.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
just build one.  it isnt that hard.
View Quote

No, but really easy to overrun the cost of a well designed commercial one. I'm gonna go to expo and figure out what design I'll be happy with. Then I'll decide whether to build or buy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, but really easy to overrun the cost of a well designed commercial one. I'm gonna go to expo and figure out what design I'll be happy with. Then I'll decide whether to build or buy.
View Quote

i built mine for about $1750.  i have about $4k into mine fully loaded with everything.  in todays prices that would be maybe $4500.  

its a basic design, no pumps, not much electric, etc.

what trailer are you looking at that is going to beat that price?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Build your own. I'm building this to tow behind my 100 series cruiser. I'm about $1500 into the entire project so far, including buying the mini-truck utility bed. I cut the axle to match the track of 100 series, and installed wheel adapters so I can run the same wheel/tire combination on the trailer. I'm working on building the lift-able platform mount for my RTT right now (so I can use the annex when my family goes out with me). The I am adding a water tank, electric, solar, etc. 

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
DIY FTW

I unsulated the top half and make insulated panels for the windows last summer before going to Co. It's fugly and slightly raepy but I've only got $1500ish in it and is tough as a $2 whore. Also all the ground clearance since I beefed up the suspension

ETA: my next one is going to use an S10 utility bed as the base like the above guy's. Moar storage n stuff
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a trailer, but here's my solution.

I picked up an old Four Wheel Camper for $650.00.  I put another $600.00 into it and a lot of time.

It weighs a little over 900 lbs and has an aluminum frame.  This was the largest model they made.

I had a step step rebuild thread in GD here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1733696_Four_Wheel_Camper_Rebuild.html

Disc Golf and Camp 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Disc Golf and Camp 6 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

And a phot of the unfinished inside,  

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I picked up an old Four Wheel Camper for $650.00.  I put another $600.00 into it and a lot of time.

It weighs a little over 900 lbs and has an aluminum frame.  This was the largest model they made.

I had a step step rebuild thread in GD here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1733696_Four_Wheel_Camper_Rebuild.html

View Quote
I love the 4WC products. Well thought out and one of the few nice living spaces that can take some solid abuse off road. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the BushRanger 200 - it would do what I want and not break the bank.
https://www.kakaducamping.com/collections/home-feature/products/bushranger-200-camper-trailer
I don't like harsh weather camping and normally I tent camp.
I need something at ground level so my dog can get in it (she can't climb ladders...).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been looking at these a bit lately as well, as I can't sleep for shit unless I'm sleeping on my own mattress, so the teardrop style off-road campers that offer a queen size mattress inside are a huge plus for me, but the prices are pretty ridiculous. Ideally I'd love something like the Moby1 XTR with the rooftop tent and a few amenities for under 10k, but that seems rather unlikely.
View Quote

Prices for a teardrop are through the roof.

I want a teardrop.   But the current prices for them are more than they are worth,by and large.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Prices for a teardrop are through the roof.

I want a teardrop.   But the current prices for them are more than they are worth,by and large.
View Quote

Get a $300.00 harbor Freight trailer and build your own.  They can be easy to make, or as complex as you like.

This is a great forum with plenty of build threads.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to have one, but it would never get used. The closest I can get my wife to camping is in 26 feet of climate-controlled, flushing toilet, running water PITA to tow & store.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw one of these at the Sportsman Show.
Was suitably impressed.

http://www.teardropsnw.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=2287291
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TNTT.com if you are fairly handy and don't want to drop a small fortune.

I went this route about five years ago. Not an off-road rig. Mine was just big enough draft behind my Suburban.

They have a forum specifically related to building offroads.
View Quote

This is the site I was going to suggest. Lots of builds to follow and plans. Hotlink
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LINK

LINK

LINK

Build it yourself
View Quote

Dinoot is local to me, I've seen some of their stuff, pretty nice looking and an inexpensive way to build up the HF trailer
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Saw one of these at the Sportsman Show.
Was suitably impressed.

http://www.teardropsnw.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=2287291
View Quote

I drive by their shop/warehouse regularly, I question if they are actually closed, place is never open anymore, think the property/building is for sale.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i built mine for about $1750.  i have about $4k into mine fully loaded with everything.  in todays prices that would be maybe $4500.  

its a basic design, no pumps, not much electric, etc.

what trailer are you looking at that is going to beat that price?
View Quote

I've looked at a ton lately, but $6k will get you an m416 style, with RTT. That's new, with few frills. Used, $4-7k can get you a nice set-up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Build your own. I'm building this to tow behind my 100 series cruiser. I'm about $1500 into the entire project so far, including buying the mini-truck utility bed. I cut the axle to match the track of 100 series, and installed wheel adapters so I can run the same wheel/tire combination on the trailer. I'm working on building the lift-able platform mount for my RTT right now (so I can use the annex when my family goes out with me). The I am adding a water tank, electric, solar, etc. 

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16708214_1808258149441743_1439213683488364675_n.jpg?oh=25f8561821ff4dd86f5ed5af2e7afee4&oe=5934A082
View Quote

I'm actually keeping my eyes peeled fit one of those, but not having much luck. They seem ideal for the task, with the cabinets and small size. Hoops for a RTT are all you really need. I'd like to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
About 2 or 3yr's ago someone here with limited fab-skills was showcasing his build as he progressed --------------- had it about 70-80% IIRC the last time I remember him posting about it.

Another member might remember who it was...

View Quote

Several of us did it. I built mine in 2011.. Have to do ARCHIVE search.

As far as someone stating that youd over run your cost, somewhat. I still came in around 5k, I recycled old windows from RVs and got some gimmes (free) and I made sure to built it out of readily available parts and lumber.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm actually keeping my eyes peeled fit one of those, but not having much luck. They seem ideal for the task, with the cabinets and small size. Hoops for a RTT are all you really need. I'd like to see the finished product.
View Quote

I'm working on a system that will allow me to travel with the RTT flush on the bed, but can lift about 18". I know how I want to lift it, just need to figure out bracing. I'll try to remember to post a picture when the build is done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get a $300.00 harbor Freight trailer and build your own.  They can be easy to make, or as complex as you like.

This is a great forum with plenty of build threads.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers
View Quote

There are some on eBay as well
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not look at pop up campers.  I am about to rebuild one I found online.  Bought it for $500 with the wooden frame starting to rot.  I'm planning on tearing it down and making an aluminum frame welded together so won't have the rot problem again.  Then I will re install the aluminum skins on the outside but most likely will linex it.  Has 2 queen pull out beds, small kitchen and a small a/c unit.  I plan on incorporating a larger water tank than is already on it as well as eventually building into it a solar powered battery array.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]
My home built trailer.  About $1,000 into it, not including the cost of the tent.  

Gives me a dry and secure place to store gear, tows very well on the highway, and is built like a brick - survives getting drug around offroad.  Gets me to camping spots you can't access without a 4x4 and gives me the ability to unhook and go explore without the trailer.  

I also have a rack that I occasionally mount the tent to when I want to leave the trailer behind.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems like a bunch of people are using the tepui tents. Any downside to the kukenam?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've looked at a ton lately, but $6k will get you an m416 style, with RTT. That's new, with few frills. Used, $4-7k can get you a nice set-up.
View Quote

if you build, it would be half that price with an rtt.

i could see some value in a used one on a good deal.

there really isnt much to building one and even less if you start with a 'trailer' of some sort.

the value in aftermarket is in the details.  they can punch out drawers and sliders with ease, have a few odds and ends ironed out with a revision or two, and they get some parts cheaper buying in volume.  however, it's and adventure trailer, the original intentwasnt for it to feel like a fifth wheel.

my opinion after many years of ownership:
- cooking is always a pita.  make it as efficient as possible, no digging or unpacking for things.
- have some sort of a faucet and sink.  can be as simple as a built in dog dish and a tube with a ball valve, but plan it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems like a bunch of people are using the tepui tents. Any downside to the kukenam?
View Quote
Tepui has a good reputation and the Kukenam is probably their most popular tent. Most go for the ruggedized versions but I hear nothing but good things about the regular versions also. I have the Gran Sabana Ruggedized which is now called the Autana XL and it's taken a beating without complaint. Been exposed in a memorable torrential downpour/lighting storm on Mt Desert Island in Maine and 40+ MPH wind gusts on some other trips. Took a screenshot that morning in Maine as the storm was subsiding, wish I would've turned on the lightning layer:

When it's folded up it isn't that much larger than the 2 man Maggiolina AirTop that came with the trailer but when it's open I have a 6' x 8' sleeping area with a huge annex room on the bottom I can even throw 2 cots in.

Stowed:

Deployed with annex:
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Good to hear about the tents. The annex is a must have for me.
Most of my trips will be to the beach, so whatever I end up with will need a decent size water tank, with pump. Something to wash the salt off, before bed. Women are weird about that sort of thing, lol.

The pop-up campers are definitely a bargain, but they aren't really the "look" I'm going for.
I know that sounds lame, but in all honesty, a minivan will get me 95% of the places I'm taking my Land Cruiser and be more practical to boot. Why didn't I buy a minivan? We all know the answer to that, lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tepui has a good reputation and the Kukenam is probably their most popular tent. Most go for the ruggedized versions but I hear nothing but good things about the regular versions also. I have the Gran Sabana Ruggedized which is now called the Autana XL and it's taken a beating without complaint. Been exposed in a memorable torrential downpour/lighting storm on Mt Desert Island in Maine and 40+ MPH wind gusts on some other trips. Took a screenshot that morning in Maine as the storm was subsiding, wish I would've turned on the lightning layer:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/C39C2396-1F38-437B-B69F-F81978CCFCEB.png

When it's folded up it isn't that much larger than the 2 man Maggiolina AirTop that came with the trailer but when it's open I have a 6' x 8' sleeping area with a huge annex room on the bottom I can even throw 2 cots in.

Stowed:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/20150725_0956.jpg

Deployed with annex:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/ARFCOM/E027D9E6-F1BC-465C-96AE-1AF962DD9961.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/C39C2396-1F38-437B-B69F-F81978CCFCEB.png

Stowed:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/20150725_0956.jpg

Deployed with annex:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/ARFCOM/E027D9E6-F1BC-465C-96AE-1AF962DD9961.jpg

How are you liking the trasharoo?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Coolest thread in a while
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
At the risk of sounding corny its become something we actually use religiously when camping unless its in serious bear country. Super convenient and rock solid even going down the road at a good clip. I never thought of them as having much utility until I camped with someone who had one.

MANDATORY when traveling with poopy diapers by the way.  (Well unless your buddy has one and then he gets the poopy diapers as a suprise)
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
30-50K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want the very best, it IS finally available here in the States!

Clicky
30-50K

Hey, the 310 starts at less than $18k!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember the rebuild thread. That thing is sweet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I remember the rebuild thread. That thing is sweet.
View Quote

Yep, that's a great thread. First rate work!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
At the risk of sounding corny its become something we actually use religiously when camping unless its in serious bear country. Super convenient and rock solid even going down the road at a good clip. I never thought of them as having much utility until I camped with someone who had one.

MANDATORY when traveling with poopy diapers by the way.  (Well unless your buddy has one and then he gets the poopy diapers as a suprise)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like an interesting solution. I'd be tempted just to keep it on full time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I want one, but I'm stuck in peasant status.

DSC_0152-fullsize by Chris Weathers, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Tagged
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I got the previous owner to throw in his M416 for free when I bought my running, driving, beat up original paint, not rusty CJ7 for $4k. And the trailer isn't in bad shape at all. Towed it home with the CJ. 

After I finish the CJ build, the M416 is next. I'll be following this thread for more info. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Ive been looking at a WeeRoll camper, simple, and easily modded.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I might consider selling this one for the right price.  There's a build thread on it, somewhere on expedition portal.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#43]
This is mine that I plan on building one day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Other than speed of setup I havent figured the need for such a thing,  utility trailers can be lifted by putting the axle under the springs,  and tents are cheap.
View Quote

Fast setup, not sleeping on the ground, and not having to clean mud off the thing later.    

Cheap tents are just that - cheap.    If you're going carry a tent in a vehicle to sleep on the ground, there are also better options available than your typical tent.   Not as expensive as roof tents.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#45]
what do you do with these things in the winter or summer, no way to heat or cool when the weather is bad?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what do you do with these things in the winter or summer, no way to heat or cool when the weather is bad?
View Quote

its a tent.  the benefit is that you get off the ground.  no real problems with rain, critters, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol

You live outdoors... like our ancestors did for thousands of years.

The tent provides some heat retention, and a good sleeping bag can be comfortable even at extremely low temperatures
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I might consider selling this one for the right price.  There's a build thread on it, somewhere on expedition portal.
View Quote

That's pretty!

Link to thread?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's pretty!

Link to thread?
View Quote

Here you go

Trailer Build
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Here you go

Trailer Build
View Quote

Just made it through that thread. Man, you've got blood, sweat and tears in that trailer! Turned out great. You have reinforced my opinion that building a box is a better route than using a surplus trailer. I guess I never thought about all the abuse those things must've taken, affecting the squareness. I never thought about talking to a sheet metal company. Having them bend panels to shape would be much easier than welding all the angles.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top