Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many actually seize those opportunities of a chance to get clean?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/IMG_0619-297264.JPG
View Quote
Ronald and Nancy Reagan's "just say no" policy  worked at least as well as the untold billions of dollars the democrats have thrown at it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's pretty obvious there are two people in this thread that don't deal with junkies.

My dept is going to make us start toting narcan in the near future...
View Quote
dude, you have no idea
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

dude, you have no idea
View Quote
Ok, then it's pretty obvious there's one guy that doesn't deal with junkies and another who is totally and completely delusional.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's pretty obvious there are two people in this thread that don't deal with junkies.

My dept is going to make us start toting narcan in the near future...
View Quote
When HSGI will get wind of this, they will make a "killing" designing and selling the new Taco-N narcan rapid deployment MOLLE platform
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Narcan is like Amazon Prime for repeat customers of CIA imported afgan heroin and that's why the government is not going to stop it
View Quote
Lol.

Lab reports on 'heroin' in my area is almost all synthetics.
Chinese chemical brew coming through from Mexico and Canada these days.... measurable true, actual heroin is the exception in lab reports I've seen for the past few years.  And even that is mostly grown/processed from Mexico.

Afgan heroin mostly stays in Europe from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok, then it's pretty obvious there's one guy that doesn't deal with junkies and another who is totally and completely delusional.
View Quote
ok, then dont narcan them. What is delusional about this life or death subject?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If anyone claims to be free of sin, then the truth is not in them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure all the holy people died, too.
If anyone claims to be free of sin, then the truth is not in them
In this case - the heroin and Narcan is in them.  Over and over again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My Trillion-dollar idea... don't steal it because it's mine.

There should be a low level of Narcan in every Mountain Dew bottle produced and sold.  Has anyone anywhere EVER been to an OD where there wasn't a Mountain Dew bottle within arms reach?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ok, then dont narcan them. What is delusional about this life or death subject?
View Quote
Personally, I don't mind if they die at all and further prefer it for those habitual junkies- you know, the sort that comprise the majority of narcan users. Better for society and their families in the long run.

Professionally, I'll hit them with it if I have to.

ETA: Let me clarify, if the need presents itself, I will provide it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Personally, I don't mind if they die at all and further prefer it for those habitual junkies- you know, the sort that comprise the majority of narcan users. Better for society and their families in the long run.

Professionally, I'll hit them with it if I have to.

ETA: Let me clarify, if the need presents itself, I will provide it.
View Quote
sorry dude, the I dont mind if they die and prefer it  sentence is jaded as fuck
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

sorry dude, the I dont mind if they die and prefer it  sentence is jaded as fuck
View Quote
There are plenty of people out there who will only ever improve this world by leaving it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Many folks would be surprised at how many heroin or opioid addicts want to get out of the heroin buying loop.  I used to work in a state that required anyone on parole or probation to get official permission before they would be allowed into a Methadone program (alternative to heroin that has treatment with it).  I was one of the state level people who could grant permission to enter those programs.  

I figured that anyone who has enough sack to ask me if I would grant permission really wants to get out of the loop, and is asking for help.  Asking for help is one of the hardest things to get to, so I NEVER denied permission for anyone who asked me to enter those programs.

At the very least, even if they stay addicted to methadone, they are out of the loop of having to do crimes to score so the don't get sick from withdrawal.  And that is a cost savings for society.  It is buckets cheaper to give them methadone than it is to catch, prosecute, incarcerate, and process people through the system.  People get clean when they want to, not any sooner.

An additional odd thought is that Fentanyl is so powerful that around 20 pounds of pure fentanyl could probably probably supply every heroin addict in the country with enough opioid to keep them off heroin for a year.  Think of the cost savings if they just gave it away, (although the bureaucracy to do so would be staggering.).   It is an odd thought to give opioids away, but then the question about do we use narcan, or do we tell those who take the free fentanyl that they are automatically precluded from receiving narcan.  It brings up some interesting morality questions, and questions about how society wants to handle the opioid addiction issue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Many folks would be surprised at how many heroin or opioid addicts want to get out of the heroin buying loop.  I used to work in a state that required anyone on parole or probation to get official permission before they would be allowed into a Methadone program (alternative to heroin that has treatment with it).  I was one of the state level people who could grant permission to enter those programs.  

I figured that anyone who has enough sack to ask me if I would grant permission really wants to get out of the loop, and is asking for help.  Asking for help is one of the hardest things to get to, so I NEVER denied permission for anyone who asked me to enter those programs.

At the very least, even if they stay addicted to methadone, they are out of the loop of having to do crimes to score so the don't get sick from withdrawal.  And that is a cost savings for society.  It is buckets cheaper to give them methadone than it is to catch, prosecute, incarcerate, and process people through the system.  People get clean when they want to, not any sooner.
View Quote
We don't require the same stipulations to enter a methadone program and they are somewhat effective, but I fully agree that the offender has to want it. It's easy to get in here and just about free for asking- but most of the time they won't even pretend to be interested until they're about to catch a rap on something else or they are facing prison time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are plenty of people out there who will only ever improve this world by leaving it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMEN!

Preach, but they don't hear you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Has nothing to do with getting clean.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

so lets not save somebody that we know we can save, who might be able to rebound and live as a productive member of society
We take drunks to detox or the tank
View Quote
How is bringing someone out of a OD saving them ?  They are just going to do it again and there is plenty of proof of that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We don't require the same stipulations to enter a methadone program and they are somewhat effective, but I fully agree that the offender has to want it. It's easy to get in here and just about free for asking- but most of the time they won't even pretend to be interested until they're about to catch a rap on something else or they are facing prison time.
View Quote
Like I said, I figured if they have the sack to ask, what the hell, I will let them try and see if it helps.  Nothing else I try forcing on them seemed to do much.  At least they are less likely to do crimes to get dope to avoid getting sick.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fatties require more medical calls and ambulance rides than junkies.
View Quote
That is a bold faced lie.  More drunks and druggies get ambulance rides, not only for ODs but for MVAs, Cardiac, SOB, Fall Victims, and Fights.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ever had folks you've administered it too come unglued, pissed and wanna fight 'cause you killed their high?

Seen it a bunch of times!
View Quote
We've talked about strapping them to a board first be fore administering so when they come out we dont have to be standing on their arms, legs and neck. Good way to get bitten.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

sure have, worked for them too and I did my job

so who lives and who dies...how many narcans are ok??
View Quote
None!

Ed
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How is bringing someone out of a OD saving them ?  They are just going to do it again and there is plenty of proof of that.
View Quote
do you not know ANY recovering drug addicts? There are many
How many slips does it take a drunk to get sober?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ed
View Quote
cant get clean if your dead and somebody could have brought you out
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not one, I only worked in Law Enforcement for 25 years and was a volunteer EMT/Fire Fighter for awhile.
I gave up being a Volunteer EMT/ Firefighter because 300 calls to drunks and druggies a year was wasting my time. Fuck Drunks and Druggies, every last one of them can die right in front of me and I wouldn't give them CPR with my boot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not one, I only worked in Law Enforcement for 25 years and was a volunteer EMT/Fire Fighter for awhile.
I gave up being a Volunteer EMT/ Firefighter because 300 calls to drunks and druggies a year was wasting my time. Fuck Drunks and Druggies, every last one of them can die right in front of me and I wouldn't give them CPR with my boot.
View Quote
thats crazy talk. just because you dont know any doesnt mean they are not there
glad you got out, that shit messed with ya
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

thats crazy talk. just because you dont know any doesnt mean they are not there
glad you got out, that shit messed with ya
View Quote
HUH, you live in fucking Kansas and your telling people that deal with this shit everyday in places with 1.5 million people around them in some spots what life is like for these addicts.

So how many Drunks and Druggies lives do you save a day or weekly for that matter ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed
Your life is in your hands.  It isn't someone else's responsibility to save addicts that work hard to BE addicts every day.  If they OD and die - whose fault is that?  How much of your time do you volunteer to save addicts who are ODing?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#27]
In NJ 2014 - Oct. 2016 Narcan was used 18,000 times.

What do you think it is now, a good guess would be 75,000 easily.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Local ambulance has narcan'd the same person 6 times in one week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2nd, 3rd?

Try 5 +
Local ambulance has narcan'd the same person 6 times in one week.
There are a couple 5ers, they must be part cat.

Eventually, however... their lives run out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

HUH, you live in fucking Kansas and your telling people that deal with this shit everyday in places with 1.5 million people around them in some spots what life is like for these addicts.

So how many Drunks and Druggies lives do you save a day or weekly for that matter ?
View Quote
Ok I'll play , inpatient, outpatient treatment ,probation, parole, methadone centers, county detox ect

sherrifs dept county residential center

But I didnt volunteer, I got paide

metro kc has a pop of 2.1mil
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In NJ 2014 - Oct. 2016 Narcan was used 18,000 times.

What do you think it is now, a good guess would be 75,000 easily.
View Quote
If you have a cardiac call and you save the person, they give you a commendation. (Lifesaver Award)

They thought about doing the same with narcan recoveries at first, but first responders would have uniforms that would resemble a third world dictator after a year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ok I'll play , inpatient, outpatient treatment ,probation, parole, methadone centers, county detox ect

But I didnt volunteer, I got paid
View Quote
Most likely a nurse then.  So no experience dealing with the streets, just people in custody or under court order. How many of them kept coming back as volunteers to get clean ? You no doubt know everyone of them by name right ?

You know their name because they keep coming back after being arrested. The revolving door of get in trouble , get taken care of, act up and get attention.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm ok with narcan but they should be forced to get clean, not rehab, jailed. Otherwise the cycle continues. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Most likely a nurse then.  So no experience dealing with the streets, just people in custody or under court order. How many of them kept coming back as volunteers to get clean ? You no doubt know everyone of them by name right ?

You know their name because they keep coming back after being arrested. The revolving door of get in trouble , get taken care of, act up and get attention.
View Quote
EDIT TO ADD :  Kansas City Kansas has 145,000 people. My father is from there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
dude, I know hardcore heroin addicts and alcoholics  that have been clean and sober for 25 years so dont tell me what I know.

You want them dead, we established that. they arent the taliban  We have nothing else to discuss. Kewl?

Every heard of Kansas City Missouri jeesh. metro area how old are you
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Id give anything if my daughter had a second or third or fourth chance, been awhile but still think about her every day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

most of yo'all are like a roving death squad and you have opened my eyes big time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

most of yo'all are like a roving death squad and you have opened my eyes big time
Or perhaps those of us you may deem insensitive to the welfare of chronically overdosing addicts may have grasped that the use the Narcan has not only done nothing to have the slightest positive effect on the opioid epidemic - and simply allows addicts to use opioids for many more years and be dragged back from death's doorstep over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I suppose the bleeding hearts will call that positive progress.  I see it as prolonging an opioid abuse hell that some people call "a life".

In case you are wondering - I have seen people OD and stop breathing on drugs...and from things they have used because they have no money for drugs.  They were the walking dead.  Just because they walked (poorly - mostly) - doesn't mean they were alive.  And as people - they were scum.  One of them stole from me.  Even decades after he did that - the outcome of his addiction-fueled theft was the worst thing that would ever happen to him in his entire lifetime.  I'm pretty certain of that.

No-one on this planet could save him from himself.  Not a person - not 100 doses of Narcan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

dude, I know hardcore heroin addicts and alcoholics  that have been clean and sober for 25 years so dont tell me what I know.

You want them dead, we established that. they arent the taliban  We have nothing else to discuss. Kewl?
View Quote
dude

dude

dude

dude

dooodd
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

dude

dude

dude

dude

dooodd
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Society owes an addict one save, maybe one shot through a taxpayer-funded rehab.
After that they should be on their own.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Every heard of Kansas City Missouri jeesh. metro area how old are you
View Quote
I never said I want them dead, I just have no sympathy for their filth and every thing that goes with it.

Edit to add; KC Missouri has less the 500,000 people. Please stop you'r lies.  I'm 52 if you must know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Or perhaps those of us you may deem insensitive to the welfare of chronically overdosing addicts may have grasped that the use the Narcan has not only done nothing to have the slightest positive effect on the opioid epidemic - and simply allows addicts to use opioids for many more years and be dragged back from death's doorstep over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I suppose the bleeding hearts will call that positive progress.  I see it as prolonging an opioid abuse hell that some people call "a life".

In case you are wondering - I have seen people OD and stop breathing on drugs...and from things they have used because they have no money for drugs.  They were the walking dead.  Just because they walked (poorly - mostly) - doesn't mean they were alive.  And as people - they were scum.  One of them stole from me.  Even decades after he did that - the outcome of his addiction-fueled theft was the worst thing that would ever happen to him in his entire lifetime.  I'm pretty certain of that.

No-one on this planet could save him from himself.  Not a person - not 100 doses of Narcan.
View Quote
Thanks for the decent reply, yeah I get that
but maybe not everyone who tries it will end like that
maybe a narcan will wake the fuck out of somebody
and you will neva hear from them again. You see one end game and I see another
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
you say nobody thats every been narcaned has stayed clean? I call bullshit
the .gov wants to throw billions at people that wont stay clean??
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote
Theres gonna be some that make it but depends on how they use that money
no easy answer for sure
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I never said I want them dead, I just have no sympathy for their filth and every thing that goes with it.

Edit to add; KC Missouri has less the 500,000 people. Please stop you'r lies.  I'm 52 if you must know.
View Quote
For the 10th time, KC METRO. google is your friend
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed
I don't care and the druggies don't either.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't care and the druggies don't either.

Ed
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Isnt the Narcan taking away the best chance to get clean forever?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For the 10th time, KC METRO. google is your friend
View Quote
OK, so you want to include the areas around you that makes up an area about the size of New Jersey and compare it to the 9,000,000 people here or should I include the other 15,000,000 people within 100 miles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm ok with narcan but they should be forced to get clean, not rehab, jailed. Otherwise the cycle continues. 
View Quote
I understand the sentiment, but you can't 'force' an addict to get and stay clean.
That change only comes if they make the decision to do it for themselves.  We can offer help, but the overwhelming majority of Narcan 'saves' aren't ready to get clean and as a result they cycle continues.

I wish we could force a junkie to get clean... but it just doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Do we think addicts are very aware of Narcan and it's ability to save them.?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top