User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Federal doesn't manufacture 5.7x28. The ammo they sell with their name on it is manufactured by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO

Fiocchi also manufactures FN SS197 (Blue Tip)

Both of the aforementioned loads use brass supplied by FN.

FN does manufacture ammo for the 5.7X28, all of which is imported.
View Quote
Understood, but it still bears the Federal brand. They have to be more than a little responsible for the product and its defects. I'm going to try the AE ammo and if I have a problem with it I'll not only contact them, but inform them of the defects others are having as well. I'd encourage everyone to contact them if they ever want to see the issues resolved. Heck, contact Fiocchi as well. I think once both companies get bombarded with complaints they may do something about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Other way. A loose floppy piece of soft armor is much harder to penatrate.

Picture a piece of paper. One backed by clay, the other hanging free. Now poke your finger through them both and see what happens.
View Quote
Could you provide some source material to back up this claim?  Everything I can find that is academic discusses the use of the backing material to test back face deformation.  

Kevlar works by being elastic enough to spread spread the force of the impact over a much larger area.  When it is unable to deform backwards into a semi-solid medium it is less able to spread out the force and bullets punch through.

Taking your paper example: tack a piece of paper in a window frame, chuck a small rock at it, and the rock will go right through.  Allow the paper to just hang so it can move with the impact and it will distribute the force.

I might be wrong, but I would love to see some documentation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Could you provide some source material to back up this claim?  Everything I can find that is academic discusses the use of the backing material to test back face deformation.  

Kevlar works by being elastic enough to spread spread the force of the impact over a much larger area.  When it is unable to deform backwards into a semi-solid medium it is less able to spread out the force and bullets punch through.

Taking your paper example: tack a piece of paper in a window frame, chuck a small rock at it, and the rock will go right through.  Allow the paper to just hang so it can move with the impact and it will distribute the force.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other way. A loose floppy piece of soft armor is much harder to penatrate.

Picture a piece of paper. One backed by clay, the other hanging free. Now poke your finger through them both and see what happens.

I'll be honest. I don't have any. I've just always been told that. That's why you don't test soft armor on a hard surface.

Your example reinforces mine though. The floppier the armor, the more it distributes the energy and the harder it is to penatrate.

Yes, clay is used to measure BFD but it also replicates a person in a repeatable fashion. Not that clay replicates a torso. It's just a measurable media.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep waiting for someone to build a micro bolt action in 5.7.

Something like a Ruger American Rimfire would make a great kids varmint/learning rifle. I'd love a PS90 to for a "what's spooking the chickens" gun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm quite sure that FN, Federal, and Fiocchi are aware of the issues surrounding the 5.7x28 rounds produced by Fiocchi.

There have been simply too many problems widely reported on both FN SS197 & Federal AE.

What concerns me the most is someone loading up SS197 thinking they have a good defense round and then gets into harms way with bad ammo. Don't get me wrong, I use both FIOCCHI rounds for practice and malfunction drills but if I leave the house my FiveseveN is stoked with one of the following.....FN SS198LF, Elite S4M, or Elite T6B.

The Fiocchi ammo is so bad I purchased a Sheridan Engineering Cutaway cartridge gauge to check every round I purchase...

PICTURED BELOW A FN SS198LF IN THE CUTAWAY GUAGE

https://i.imgur.com/IzFf212.jpg
View Quote
Where can you buy that gauge? Nevermind, found it. Elite ammo is over $2 a round and the LF ammo has a shelf life and is closer towards the expensive side. Here's hoping AE ammo works in my PS90 or it'll be more a safe queen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if using a Lee Factory 5.7x28 crimp die on the AE ammo would work since they're only glued in. Think that might help with bullet separation?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Something like a Ruger American Rimfire would make a great kids varmint/learning rifle. I'd love a PS90 to for a "what's spooking the chickens" gun.
View Quote
I don't know if this ever actually sold, but it looks like a bolt action 5.7 was planned.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/22/savage-bolt-action-chambered-in-fn-5-7x28mm/
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got a .17 HMR for that. Cheaper to shoot and a great little target rifle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've got a .17 HMR for that. Cheaper to shoot and a great little target rifle.
View Quote
I have a .17 hmr as well, but I prefer heavier bullets and the AE ammo at $15 a box is pretty close to HMR territory
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know if this ever actually sold, but it looks like a bolt action 5.7 was planned.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/22/savage-bolt-action-chambered-in-fn-5-7x28mm/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize for bringing up 22TCM again in this thread but there is a 22TCM micro bolt action out there now which accomplishes approximately what you seek:

http://armscor.com/firearms/rifle-series/m22-tcm-ba/

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the shelf life issue is overblown. Several members on FNForums.net have OLD lead free primer 5.7 ammo and periodically test fire it.

No reports of any failure to fire.

I don't think FN would use a primer that's going to fail on ammo marketed specifically to Law Enforcement as some Departments will have it in use for YEARS!
View Quote
EXACTLY!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1

It would be perfect for small varmints.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I apologize for bringing up 22TCM again in this thread but there is a 22TCM micro bolt action out there now which accomplishes approximately what you seek:

http://armscor.com/firearms/rifle-series/m22-tcm-ba/

http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2015/02/rock_island_armory_armscor_22_tcm_F.jpg
View Quote
I've considered picking one up as bolt actions chambered in 5.7x28 seem to be made of unobtainum.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does this count as a small varmint?

https://i.imgur.com/iTYiC3S.jpg

Or this....

https://i.imgur.com/JPxcZZW.jpg
View Quote
Hmm, that's exactly what happens when I've used .22lr to brain an animal. The .22lr is a great SD round because of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll be honest. I don't have any. I've just always been told that. That's why you don't test soft armor on a hard surface.

Your example reinforces mine though. The floppier the armor, the more it distributes the energy and the harder it is to penatrate.

Yes, clay is used to measure BFD but it also replicates a person in a repeatable fashion. Not that clay replicates a torso. It's just a measurable media.
View Quote
Right, but when your target backer (as in the video) has little to no elasticity or give the armor doesn't flop around, it acts like a piece of paper held taut.  That is why I believe that armor "tests" with a solid backer don't accurately represent the penetration resistance of the armor.  If they just dangled it then it would probably have the opposite effect, as you describe.  Both are with giving inaccurate results.  I have no dog in this fight, though I would love for both rounds to be awesome (who wouldn't want that?).  But I just feel like a shot through armor on a solid backer doesn't give an accurate result.  What is crazy is there seem to be a bunch of people out there willing to buy and the armor who can't seem to take the time to shoot it over clay or gel.  As a result I can find several videos of .22 TCM going through armor, but none that I have found have anything better than a hard foam backer or  a jug of water (which might be better....I don't know).
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh my god, this thread is still going?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#23]
So is the AE and Fiocchi FN ammunition not reliable and good ammunition?  Because with folks in this thread talking about how affordable 5.7 ammunition is now available I have seriously been thinking of grabbing a PS90.  The price of ammo and the difficulty to reload were my primary reasons not to buy this as a fun gun.  I
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Federal doesn't manufacture 5.7x28. The ammo they sell with their name on it is manufactured by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the 5.7x28 AE failures are so wide spread, I wonder why Federal isn't doing something about it.... Are people not contacting Federal? It seems Federal could have thousands of complaints if everyone that had a problem contacted them.  I want to buy about 500rds of the stuff to try out in my PS90 since there are many people that have zero problems with the stuff, then there are people that make it seem like I'll be dead on the floor of the range if I use it or at the very least I'll have over half of the rounds set back into the case. What are the variables in the PS90 where some people have nothing but issues while others have no problems at all. I've used tons of American Eagle ammo in other calibers and there's never been inconsistent quality from one batch to the next. Is there a simple crimper a non-reloader could use on these rounds?

I tried to email Federal with pictures about a week ago and still haven't heard back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#26]
If you look at 5.7x28 as a more powerful 22LR or WMR that feeds better and has reliable ignition than you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tested the 22tcm and 5.7 against some steel a while back. Also included some chrono numbers.

Here.......
View Quote
Thanks for the info, link
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I bought a 5.7x28 Lee Factory Crimp die and shell holder so I'll see if that helps with the AE ammo separation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#29]
What is a good kydex holster for the Five Seven?

Eta:  I couldnt find one when I needed it so as a holdover I purchased a cheapie universal holder.  It definitely works fine but it is too bulky and obviously too cheap for what I would prefer.

eta 2:  how do I know what model it is?  It has fixed sites with gray controls.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's NOT a MK II, they aren't available with fixed sights or gray controls...

FiveseveN DAO (Double Action Only) Discontinued...

https://i.imgur.com/Ykv9qIi.jpg

FiveseveN IOM (Individual Officers Model) Discontinued...

https://i.imgur.com/alfjCmw.jpg

FiveseveN USG Discontinued...

https://i.imgur.com/4YnoEeN.jpg

so it is probably the USG?

FiveseveN MK II...

https://i.imgur.com/34D6bf7.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Unless you have the strange looking trigger guard, I'd guess USG.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.

It has the normal trigger guard.  Are the front cocking serrations also a model identifier?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Love my PS90. great home defense weapon.  Very easy to maneuver and I am confident in the round's ability to do the job.  I think the biggest reason more agencies don't use them is expense of the weapons and ammo.

This is one of the weapons we keep close by.  It's my wife's "go to" weapon.

If I could only chose one weapon to disappear on foot with, it might be this one, especially since I can carry a lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had bad luck with the american eagle stuff, but the blue tip fiocchi  works great in mine.  I've had zero malfunctions with it, but lots of problems with the AE.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh my god, you mean people on a gun forum are talking about ammunition and guns!!?!?!???

*clutches pearls*
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've had bad luck with the american eagle stuff, but the blue tip fiocchi  works great in mine.  I've had zero malfunctions with it, but lots of problems with the AE.
View Quote
What type of problems did you have?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same sort of experience here...  We have no issues w/ SS197 and use it exclusively for carry in the mountains.  We also have SS198 -cases, we don't use.

American Eagle works just sort of anemic.

Just practice stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Found the AR57 lower, NIB, first version.  Doesn't seem quite so heavy now, after not looking at it for years. Actually pretty nice.

I think I may re-profile the barrel to more of an AR pencil, wonder what that would do for the weight, haven't calculated it.

Also, a lot of the zillions of those rail mount steppy things can be machined off to make it look more like the new version.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Found this vid...

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Btw - you guys are all dicks because you are basically enabling forcing me to buy lots more ammo.  
View Quote
Definitely can't have too much 5.7, especially with the deals at PSA!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm seriously considering buying some ammo while it's cheap for the PS90 I might someday own...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering buying some ammo while it's cheap for the PS90 I might someday own...
View Quote
AR57 upper bro!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:17:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  AR57 upper bro!
View Quote
This.  They're $650 @ Classic.  You never know when they might suddenly get popular.  And hacksaw blades.  You should stock up on hacksaw blades too.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, it doesn't seem to want to die...

wait for it...

probably because it keeps getting shot with  a 5.7.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Looking at the AR57 upper more, I wonder how an AR57 pistol with a Bushmaster carbon fiber lower would work out?

Weight wise...

12" w/ late model EOTech sight?

Barrel length is 18" with a 2" flash hider on the original.

So, that means with the hider off, the barrel is about 16.5" long -I think...

Next step is to make a barrel vise/clamp when we go back down and remove the hider, measure, maybe find a lightweight hider, remove the barrel and take a rough lightening cut, or rethread the barrel for a pinned/TIG'ed flash hider.

Suggestions appreciated, what would you like to have done? Barrel profile suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looking at the AR57 upper more, I wonder how an AR57 pistol with a Bushmaster carbon fiber lower would work out?

Weight wise...

12" w/ late model EOTech sight?

Barrel length is 18" with a 2" flash hider on the original.

So, that means with the hider off, the barrel is about 16.5" long -I think...

Next step is to make a barrel vise/clamp when we go back down and remove the hider, measure, maybe find a lightweight hider, remove the barrel and take a rough lightening cut, or rethread the barrel for a pinned/TIG'ed flash hider.

Suggestions appreciated, what would you like to have done? Barrel profile suggestions?
View Quote
My 12" gen2 upper is pretty light. Lots of cuts in the rails, fluted barrel. I also milled out a JMT gen2 80% polymer lower. I'll weigh it when I get a chance.

Well over 1k rounds through this setup with no hiccups.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top