Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
in florida they can sell your tax lean if you don't pay your taxes but they can't kick you out for back taxes if it is your homestead. Also if your house is worth less than 25k (50k if you are 65+) you don't pay property taxes. Out in Colorado the tax on  our farmland is about $1/acre.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL...I know exactly the land to which you refer. I was working on a title project right down 137 a mile or so when a guy I know called me about a gig in Lafayette.

Actually, I was in Stanton last Tuesday. Had a Doctors appointment there. My Doc is married to a landman and she's really good...and smokin' too.
View Quote
You really should shoot that asshole that dragged you over to Louisiana. In fact, please do; I've been sick for the past week trying to cough out a lung. Feel like I need to start smoking so I have a reason for the horrible hack.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

das muss ich wissen bitte
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Germany is cheap, costs me $38 an acre
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

Ja, ich auch bitte! Welcher Staat? Gibt's ähnliches in Niedersachsen?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Property tax shouldn't exist. It should at most be a one time tax paid upon purchase. That's it.
View Quote
Agreed, one time tax for the life of the ownership. Sell it, the new owner pays a one time sales tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The truth of the matter is that with real estate you are not 'Buying" the property as you would a pocket watch.

You are only buying certain rights to that property.

The Federal Gov , the State , the county and town could have certain rights along with utilities and other folks  or institutions could also have mineral,water or air rights.

The trick is to get a parcel that is so far out that none of this stuff is of any value to anyone else
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You really should shoot that asshole that dragged you over to Louisiana. In fact, please do; I've been sick for the past week trying to cough out a lung. Feel like I need to start smoking so I have a reason for the horrible hack.
View Quote
Maybe you should make a Doctors appointment in Stanton.

Feel mo betta!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Property tax shouldn't exist. It should at most be a one time tax paid upon purchase. That's it.
View Quote
Brah do you even Fee Simple Estate?  Common-law back to William the Conqueror.  Property tax is the only legitimate tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Brah do you even Fee Simple Estate?  Common-law back to William the Conqueror.  Property tax is the only legitimate tax.
View Quote
Just an aside, Billy the C was also known as William the Bastard, successor to Edward the Confessor...or Eddy the C to his mates.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you can’t move it, you really don’t own it.

All real property is rented from the government.
View Quote
You can move a car but you don't truly own that either.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

Oberfranken
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oberfranken
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

Oberfranken
thanks

nice area
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can’t move it, you really don’t own it.

All real property is rented from the government.
You are both nuts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Large numbers of cemetery plots.  I have had some in my family for generations.  Once you buy them outright in perpetual care, no further expense.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
•Alaska is the largest of the United States; however, for all its vastness only a small portion of the land mass is subject to a property tax.
•There are approximately 321 communities in Alaska, many of which still remain unincorporated.
•There are 164 incorporated municipalities (local governments), 19 of which are incorporated into boroughs (boroughs are a rough equivalent to counties) and the remainder are incorporated as cities.
•Of the 19 boroughs in Alaska, only 15 levy a property tax.
•Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're saying they do this here?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which ones don't have property tax?
View Quote
Monaco, Malta, Cayman Islands, Cook Islands, Fiji, Dominica, Seychelles, Turks and Caicos, Sri Lanka, UAE,
Bahrain, Oman.

Dominica should have some deals now, they're basically rebuilding the island from scratch.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
thanks

nice area
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@fettesbrotde

seriously

where ?

Oberfranken
thanks

nice area
Jep, can also get it cheaper in the "east". I think last time I looked at a property in Sachsen it was a little less.

Obviously property as a whole is cheaper there... but I think you know this
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are both nuts.
View Quote
Drive a car that is not registered/tax on a public road and they take it from you. You can ride a bike or walk on the same roads without registration/tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which ones don't have property tax?
View Quote
Ukraine.

I'm looking at an apartment that is over the minimum exemption so I expect to owe about $4/year, based on minimum wage/sq meter calculation.

I'm not guaranteed that Putin won't take it as collateral for all the bills the country owes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
You can own mineral rights indefinitely without paying property taxes in most states.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This, i dont think there is a place in America where you can actually own land, car, boat, rv, etc.  You will always pay the .gov rent for big ticket items.
View Quote
Even NY doesn't have a personal property tax on things like cars or boats and such.  Crazy that such a thing exists, I honestly had no idea that was a thing until like a year ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can own mineral rights indefinitely without paying property taxes in most states.
View Quote
You can own the rights sure but if you own the land to which they are then you pay tax. If you sell the minerals you pay tax. If you sell the rights you pay tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sailboat or house boat
View Quote
Isn't moorage extremely expensive. Boats also require a huge amount of money for maintenance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's crazy high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's crazy high.
And probably also requires EU citizenship
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

William the Conqueror began the concept of a life estate in real property (i.e. owning property by individuals).  Prior to that, everything was owned by the king.  This was a simple estate, with full rights to do with it what the owner pleased, and it could not be taken away.  The 'fee' paid to the king was service in the king's army as a knight, when called upon by the king.  Thus, the fee simple estate.  It is what makes America great to this day.  The fee quickly became monetary, as you could get killed in a war.  Truly, real property tax is the only legitimate tax in nay of the commonwealth countries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Drive a car that is not registered/tax on a public road and they take it from you. You can ride a bike or walk on the same roads without registration/tax.
View Quote
You could sell it before it came to that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You could sell it before it came to that.
View Quote
As with anything.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yet some states tax non-producing minerals.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rural property.  Put a chicken and a calf on it, get taxed at the farm rate, which will be beer money.
View Quote
Can you live on ag land and still have it qualify as ag land?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That works most places, if the taxing authority doesn't contest the denomination.

There's also some states which have an exemption for 'classified wildlife area' acreage. Last I dealt with it the land had to be fenced and planted in wildlife food plots and timber...but it was closed to all hunting or timber harvest. I ran into that a lot buying coal rights in southern Indiana.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be a church
That works most places, if the taxing authority doesn't contest the denomination.

There's also some states which have an exemption for 'classified wildlife area' acreage. Last I dealt with it the land had to be fenced and planted in wildlife food plots and timber...but it was closed to all hunting or timber harvest. I ran into that a lot buying coal rights in southern Indiana.  
Can you live on a classified wildlife area?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most states tax minerals as soon as they start generating income. It's called severance tax. They tax it as soon as they can assign a value to the property.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sorry but the OP's join date should be changed to 2013 as this is a real deal 13er post.
View Quote
Yeah, it's pretty crazy to want to actually own something

Go shit in somebody else's thread.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#33]
What OP is looking for is allodial title, and I am not aware of any part of the US that grants that.

With alloidal title you are not subject to property tax, nor can eminent domain be used to seize it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

•Alaska is the largest of the United States; however, for all its vastness only a small portion of the land mass is subject to a property tax.
•There are approximately 321 communities in Alaska, many of which still remain unincorporated.
•There are 164 incorporated municipalities (local governments), 19 of which are incorporated into boroughs (boroughs are a rough equivalent to counties) and the remainder are incorporated as cities.
•Of the 19 boroughs in Alaska, only 15 levy a property tax.
•Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
View Quote
Not a bad idea but from what I've seen on TV it's hard to live off the land there with the harsh winters and short growing season.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. If you own 10 acres you homestead 2 and pay regular taxes.
The rest you ag.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They cry about schools and roads when they want to raise taxes here. We don't have any school kids and the roads are crappy and wont get fixed if even patched........so tell me again why we pay land taxes?

The fuckers have even started to tax the little outbuildings and metal carports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They cry about schools and roads when they want to raise taxes here. We don't have any school kids and the roads are crappy and wont get fixed if even patched........so tell me again why we pay land taxes?

The fuckers have even started to tax the little outbuildings and metal carports.
They use aerial photomapping to keep track of the outbuildings and make updates to their records of what improvements you have made to the property.

Earth sheltered structures are hard to spot with aerial photomaps.  Building under the cover of large trees seems to have some effectiveness for small structures, but they eventually found out about the cabin on a neighboring parcel (been there since at least the 1970s, and they finally added the cabin to the parcel maps a couple years ago). Must have finally done an update in the winter, when the leaves were off the trees.

Quoted:

They tax us here for rain falling on our yards, 25 a year, watershed.
Nashville started doing that, five or six years ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#37]
No such thing as properly ownership as long as you have to pay the tax man. It’s just cheap rent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#38]
church?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They use aerial photomapping to keep track of the outbuildings and make updates to their records of what improvements you have made to the property.
View Quote
Saw the aerial photos that my county uses. Any better and they would have known the last time I picked up dog turds.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What OP is looking for is allodial title, and I am not aware of any part of the US that grants that.

With alloidal title you are not subject to property tax, nor can eminent domain be used to seize it.
View Quote
A properly filed land patent takes care of the part in red see Summa Corp vs. CA.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ag land around here is cheap taxes from my limited knowledge
View Quote
Wyoming agricultural land is taxed based on it's production value, that is what the crops or livestock it produces is worth.  Not on it's resale value.

Which is good to keep land in the family.  A ranch around Jackson taxed on it's value as a development property could not hope to pay the taxes

by running a hundred head of cows.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#42]
You don't own that.......
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Good luck. I don’t mind paying for some services with taxes. Fire, EMS, and a road to get to my house...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good luck. I don’t mind paying for some services with taxes. Fire, EMS, and a road to get to my house...
View Quote
What about voting? Should those who do not own property/pay the tax be limited to what they can vote on?

ETA: And limited to what services they can use?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A properly filed land patent takes care of the part in red see Summa Corp vs. CA.
View Quote
A whole lot of sticks had to fall just the right way for that to happen.  The Treaty of 1851 is an exception, not a rule.  And the only reason CA signed off on the patent in 1873 is because it's a body of water, not arable land.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The rest you ag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rest you ag.
Wait, if I'm paying property taxes on 2 acres anyway, what's the ag part for?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is there any way to own property indefinitely i.e. without paying property taxes? As far as I know, if I buy a chunk a property today with cash, I have to pay taxes on it or the government will seize it/sell it. How can I buy land that I can actually *own* without any further costs?

I was thinking about this as a place to go in case of job loss/going broke for whatever reason, etc. It doesn't work if I still have to pay a large sum of money every year.
View Quote
No. If you could, everyone would be doing it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any way to own property indefinitely i.e. without paying property taxes? As far as I know, if I buy a chunk a property today with cash, I have to pay taxes on it or the government will seize it/sell it. How can I buy land that I can actually *own* without any further costs?

I was thinking about this as a place to go in case of job loss/going broke for whatever reason, etc. It doesn't work if I still have to pay a large sum of money every year.
I suppose. The more I learn, the more I realize how little freedom we actually have as tax cattle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#49]
There are a couple of States that still grant allodial titles to the land.  I can't remember which ones for sure, but IIRC they are NV and TX, but I could be quite wrong regarding which ones.

The modern implementation is for a person to pay up front the projected property taxes that the land would be expected to provide over the owner's projected lifetime from that point on.  If granted, and the monies paid, the person receives a title which gives him much more absolute ownership rights (IIRC, there may be some protections against eminent domain and other seizures by the State; historically, such titles definitely offered protection as the owner in essence had eminent domain over the land rather than the state or some other person or entity, such as a feudal lord or monarch) and no further need to pay property taxes of any sort, even if they go up and would exceed what was paid, or new ones are levied.  However, unlike many historical allodial titles, they are not inheritable by heirs and cannot be sold or transferred as such.  Upon sale or transfer, or the death of the owner, the allodial nature of the title is terminated.  The new owner would have to apply for such a title himself and pay up again.  Such titles only are worth something with respect to State and local governments; they have no impact on Federal taxation of property (direct taxes were sometimes assessed as property taxes) or Federal eminent domain.

Personally, I think that there should indeed be a title that does indeed grant you absolute rights, freeing it from seizure or use by the government for any purpose other than as punishment for a felony; freeing it from any usage regulations and the like that do not impact the health, safety, or property of others; freeing it from any further taxation; which includes mineral/subsurface rights and such; and that there should be an ability to get it recognized by the Federal government as such, ceding eminent domain over the land.  There should also be an option for such titles to be either lifetime, inheritable, or fully transferrable.  Basically, the State would assess the potential for use by the State or local government for essential purposes, and if it finds that there isn't a high probability of a need to acquire the property for such essential use (whether by purchase from a voluntary seller or the use of force via an eminent domain proceeding), and suitable monies are paid, the title is granted.  The fees should be reasonable, though, with higher fees being allowed for more permanent or transferrable titles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rest you ag.
Ag part is the other 8 acres.
Much cheaper.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top