Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody in the armory forum asked an interesting question: Ruger makes a integrally suppressed 10/22 take down barrel, will they make one for these?
View Quote
Yes.

Source: It would be dumb if they didn't.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Too each his own. There are much better options for a 9mm PCC in a self defense role than the new Ruger is all I’m saying.
View Quote
Like what?

The PC hasn't even really got out into the wild yet.  How does anyone know how suitable it is?  Yeah, if it proves unreliable or prone to parts breakage that will be a mark against it, but none of that is known.  If it proves tough and reliable, that would seem to make it perfectly viable in the defense role.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The aftermarket for this thing will be massive.  I’m no photoshop expert (clearly), but here’s a crappy little mock-up I threw together.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of cool stocks, accessories, etc manufacturers will be offering.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All good reasons. I’m just saying there are a lot of options out there for a 9mm PCC besides this one. I guess the Glock mag thing is what makes it attractive.
View Quote
For me, the attractive thing is the interchangeable mag well.  You know there's going to be aftermarket mag wells...you'll be able to run mags for almost any pistol or subgun out there.  I'd like to have a PCC that shares Beretta M9 mags.

I still think the AR will dominate PCC SBRs, mainly for aesthetics.  ARs look right as SBRs, traditional stocks tend to look funny as SBRs.  See the 10/22.  Not that this gun wouldn't work as an SBR, it's just a 'look' thing.  The Ruger would probably look sharp as a suppressed SBR, however, and as a HD gun that configuration could be useful.  Effective, proven caliber in a package that won't explode your ear drums...as much
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok guys, here is a thought... What are the chances a norrell's full auto trigger Pac will fit in one of these??
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the guys who have looked at the tech specs of this thing, does it look like something that could be used where you buy one lower, and then use it with multiple caliber uppers that could be purchased separately (if Ruger does in fact produce different calibers)?  I'm not sure if the AR nomenclature of uppers and lowers is the correct usage, but I'm sure you guys get what I mean.
View Quote
It probably won't be quite like that, but close.  Being take down makes it easy though.  Caliber change should consist of swapping barrel, possibly bolt head, and possibly magazine well if needed (ie, if you were to switch from 40 to 357 Sig, you can probably use the same mags and bolt head, but going from 9mm to 45, you'd need to swap mag wells, bolt head, and mags).  You could definitely put together caliber conversion kits to swap things up as desired.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok guys, here is a thought... What are the chances a norrell's full auto trigger Pac will fit in one of these??
View Quote
It's supposed to use the 10/22 trigger group.  On paper, a registered full auto 10/22 trigger pack should work.  Remains to be seen, however.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
@BigPolska , who is in your avatar?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I can see the air force/military buying a good number of these rifles for a compact survival kit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@BigPolska , who is in your avatar?  
View Quote
@Hoagie
Angela White
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can see the air force/military buying a good number of these rifles for a compact survival kit.
View Quote
I wish that was the case but we're way too risk adverse to do that

Right now our aircrew carry M9s when they fly over a combat zone. These will eventually replaced my M17s or M18s
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
@BigPolska,  thanks!

Edited to add:  oh my gosh
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
At first I wanted to wait for the non-takedown version (for better accuracy and because it likely will cost even less) but the swap-able bolt heads mean that it can change caliber super easy with the takedown barrel, and suggests they might offer new caliber options and bolt/barrel caliber kits relatively soon after release. 40 would be especially easy because the mags for the Glock and Ruger 40s will fit the 9mm mag well of the equivalent 9mm pistols.

Now I just need to see either a nice Magpul stock or a nice laminate wood stock and I'm down to grab one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
And I really, really want to see a Beretta 92 mag well since I already have tons of those mags. This looks much better then the Sub2000 (and the 92 version of that never shows up for sale anyway).
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#16]
When I looked at the online owners manual I forgot to see if these are +P rated.

I'd imagine they are

The fact that the recoil spring is located all within the action will make this thing compatible with folding stocks...so in theory a Charger version of this thing with a folding stock is a possibility for SBRing
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For the guys who have looked at the tech specs of this thing, does it look like something that could be used where you buy one lower, and then use it with multiple caliber uppers that could be purchased separately (if Ruger does in fact produce different calibers)?  I'm not sure if the AR nomenclature of uppers and lowers is the correct usage, but I'm sure you guys get what I mean.
View Quote
I'm not an engineer, but I dont see how this would too terribly difficult. You would probably need different receivers, (Lowers) for larger calibers like 10mm or 45 ACP, but I could see 9mm/40 cal/357 Sig being same receiver, (lower). Sig managed to do that with it's P229/P226 platform for 9mm/40 cal/357 Sig, and used the P220 for 10mm/45 ACP. Glock did the same thing for it's G19/G23/G32 and the G20/G21 so I cant imagine it would be THAT hard to do with a rifle...
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For me, the attractive thing is the interchangeable mag well.  You know there's going to be aftermarket mag wells...you'll be able to run mags for almost any pistol or subgun out there.  I'd like to have a PCC that shares Beretta M9 mags.

I still think the AR will dominate PCC SBRs, mainly for aesthetics.  ARs look right as SBRs, traditional stocks tend to look funny as SBRs.  See the 10/22.  Not that this gun wouldn't work as an SBR, it's just a 'look' thing.  The Ruger would probably look sharp as a suppressed SBR, however, and as a HD gun that configuration could be useful.  Effective, proven caliber in a package that won't explode your ear drums...as much
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All good reasons. I’m just saying there are a lot of options out there for a 9mm PCC besides this one. I guess the Glock mag thing is what makes it attractive.

If this thing gets the aftermarket support that we are thinking it will get, one of these in a bullpup configuration would be very very interesting to me. And by me, I mean my wife using it as a HD gun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger being Ruger as a company, just may have thought out how to get the larger calibers in the same action.

It is a rifle action which is much larger than the normal handgun slide.

instead of just a bolt face change, it will need a heavier recoil system, so a complete different bolt.

Or be able to add more tungsten to the 9mm version.

Mag well looks plenty long enough for the longer cartridges.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like getting other people’s opinions and arguing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why waste time talking about it?
I like getting other people’s opinions and arguing.
Fixed....
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ruger being Ruger as a company, just may have thought out how to get the larger calibers in the same action.

It is a rifle action which is much larger than the normal handgun slide.

instead of just a bolt face change, it will need a heavier recoil system, so a complete different bolt.

Or be able to add more tungsten to the 9mm version.

Mag well looks plenty long enough for the longer cartridges.
View Quote
per the owners manual the tungsten insert is removable from the bolt assembly
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
There isn't a lower vs upper receiver.  There's only one receiver.  It does look like it will work with most straightwall pistol calibers and magazines, once the bolt heads, barrels, and magazine adapters are made, by Ruger or the aftermarket.

I don't know if there's enough mass in the bolt for 10x25mm Norma or .460 Rowland.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Let’s remove the bolt weight and convert it to .22 TCM! :D
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems a shame that apparently it won't run with the old Ruger P series mags the original one ran with.
They just list the two newer Ruger models as having compatible magazines.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seems a shame that apparently it won't run with the old Ruger P series mags the original one ran with.
View Quote
I'm betting they'll make adapters for them, well hoping at least since I have a PC9, P89, and a crapload of mags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not an engineer, but I dont see how this would too terribly difficult. You would probably need different receivers, (Lowers) for larger calibers like 10mm or 45 ACP, but I could see 9mm/40 cal/357 Sig being same receiver, (lower). Sig managed to do that with it's P229/P226 platform for 9mm/40 cal/357 Sig, and used the P220 for 10mm/45 ACP. Glock did the same thing for it's G19/G23/G32 and the G20/G21 so I cant imagine it would be THAT hard to do with a rifle...
View Quote
There is a huge difference between blowback actions and any other type of action. There's some good articles out there explaining it and concepts like bolt thrust. Essentially, if it is a true blowback action, its caliber capability will be limited by the potential weight increase the end user can add to the bolt, dimensional and magazine issues aside.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm betting they'll make adapters for them, well hoping at least since I have a PC9, P89, and a crapload of mags.
View Quote
I'm not sure how they can; this mechanism seems geared towards push button releases rather than push forward or HK style ambi.  The button on the old one released from the front of the mag body, whilst these mag blocks release from the sides.

I would love a VP9 adapter, and would gladly offload a few things in my stable to be able to solidify my logistics.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Let’s remove the bolt weight and convert it to .22 TCM! :D
View Quote
Maybe.  Might want to leave it in if you want to reload those cases.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd be a happy camper if:

1) Can use 10/22 trigger pack as I have a $300 KIDD trigger
2) Offered in 10mm
3) Offered in Charger configuration
4) Magpul offers a capacity larger than 15 rounds
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Charger configuration, folding brace, ar grip, 8" bbl, quick detach can of your choice, mini red dot for sighting.

Would pack away very very small.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Charger configuration, folding brace, ar grip, 8" bbl, quick detach can of your choice, mini red dot for sighting.

Would pack away very very small.
View Quote
A folding stock and a one-stamp integrally suppressed barrel, and this thing becomes very useful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder how hard the magwell adapters have to be? I can see a market for 3D printed adapters cause not EVERYONE is going to get a factory made adapter for their favorite, not-mainstream or not-current magazine. In fact, now that I think about it, how much weight do they have to support, in case someone want's to put a drum magazine? Or even a double snail drum (You know someone will try it).

For those talking caliber swap, I'm not seeing ruger selling separate bolts (or bolt faces) and recoil springs. I think they'd rather sell whole rifles and not worry about small parts inventory.
Shouldn't stop the aftermarket folks though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#33]
cuz its not a AR platform.

I am going to pick one up. Only because  I can.

Quoted:
Why the haters?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And I really, really want to see a Beretta 92 mag well since I already have tons of those mags. This looks much better then the Sub2000 (and the 92 version of that never shows up for sale anyway).
View Quote
The older pc series carbines would take 92 and 226 magazines with only a little mod and a few minutes time. Not sure how these compare to the sr9 mags though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that happens, you will be able to use 92 and 226 mags as well. I have an older pc4 and only have one Ruger mag, the rest are berettas and Sig.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder how hard the magwell adapters have to be? I can see a market for 3D printed adapters cause not EVERYONE is going to get a factory made adapter for their favorite, not-mainstream or not-current magazine. In fact, now that I think about it, how much weight do they have to support, in case someone want's to put a drum magazine? Or even a double snail drum (You know someone will try it).

For those talking caliber swap, I'm not seeing ruger selling separate bolts (or bolt faces) and recoil springs. I think they'd rather sell whole rifles and not worry about small parts inventory.
View Quote
Well, if they do caliber swaps, it would not be an individual bolt face.

It would be a kit with a barrel, bolt face, recoil spring, etc.

Since these are non-serialized components; they can be shipped directly to the consumer.

It would be stupid to not get into this business.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since these are non-serialized components; they can be shipped directly to the consumer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The aftermarket will handle it. I still don’t know that Ruger will sell you a 10/22 bolt if you call and ask for one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Dear Ruger:

Make a run of these with 18.6" barrels for us poor Canucks so we don't have them classified as restricted firearms (and have to register them, use them only at ranges, etc).

XOX,

Nick
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure the Canadian version is in the works.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm sure the aftermarket on these will really take off, but for the guys who think Ruger doesn't want to be involved in selling parts for this you should check out the Ruger home page.  They already sell replacement barrrels, triggers. stocks, charging handles, firing pins, extractors, etc for the 10/22.  I can't see why they wouldn't for this.   Also very interesting of note, when you go the shopruger.com page for accessories, under products, and then under auto loading rifles, the list a PC9 and a PC4.  For the PC4 they list a .40 cal magazine.  Could be a mistake, but they have that same magazine listed under pistol accessories, and then in another place under rifle accessories.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#41]
PC4 is the old .40 PCC that takes p-series mags.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PC4 is the old .40 PCC that takes p-series mags.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3053/IMG_1021-408899.JPG
View Quote
Gotcha, I had thought that model was named the PC40.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm sure the aftermarket on these will really take off, but for the guys who think Ruger doesn't want to be involved in selling parts for this you should check out the Ruger home page.  They already sell replacement barrrels, triggers. stocks, charging handles, firing pins, extractors, etc for the 10/22.  I can't see why they wouldn't for this.   Also very interesting of note, when you go the shopruger.com page for accessories, under products, and then under auto loading rifles, the list a PC9 and a PC4.  For the PC4 they list a .40 cal magazine.  Could be a mistake, but they have that same magazine listed under pistol accessories, and then in another place under rifle accessories.
View Quote
That  was me. My point is that ruger may not want to sell parts for every design of magazine out there, just "theirs". It's also possible they may not want to sell bolt faces for some calibers just because someone bought an aftermarket barrel in that caliber, or whatever. For example, they may not offer the gun in a rimmed cartridge like .357 or .44 mag, but someone might offer a barrel in that caliber, but not a bolt face, or magwell adapter. So it would depend on the aftermarket big time.
Different from spare parts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That  was me. My point is that ruger may not want to sell parts for every design of magazine out there, just "theirs". It's also possible they may not want to sell bolt faces for some calibers just because someone bought an aftermarket barrel in that caliber, or whatever. For example, they may not offer the gun in a rimmed cartridge like .357 or .44 mag, but someone might offer a barrel in that caliber, but not a bolt face, or magwell adapter. So it would depend on the aftermarket big time.
Different from spare parts.
View Quote
With a Desert Eagle mag block?

I still want a stainless and wood stock model though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The aftermarket for this thing will be massive.  I’m no photoshop expert (clearly), but here’s a crappy little mock-up I threw together.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of cool stocks, accessories, etc manufacturers will be offering.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108967/0A9657CE-F84D-42E8-B4F1-A21947765535-406050.JPG
View Quote
Here's what I have in mind.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108967/0A9657CE-F84D-42E8-B4F1-A21947765535-406050.JPG
Here's what I have in mind.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/45399-DEFAULT-l-408959.JPG
That’s a whole lotta ugly
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#47]
It's ugly in it's factory form too.  An underfolder like the Delisle would be cool, but is way beyond my photoshop skills.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I will be looking to get one.

If they make it in 357, 45, and 10mm  I would get one of each as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#49]
MAC has one in hand apparently.  @MilitaryArms hey buddy, do you want some arctic weather testing with that?

Edit:  Honestly, it looks a lot better in the real world instead of promo photos IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/militaryarms/

2018 is looking pretty bright given the down gun market since the election. Companies like Ruger are dropping some amazing new products like their new 9mm takedown Carbine. In the box you will find a takedown rifle very similar to the 10/22. It takes SR9 mags. It also includes a Glock magazine well adapter. It features a 1/2x28 threaded barrel and a 1913 rail machined into the receiver. It also has a last round hold open and adjustable length of pull stock. This is one cool rifle. Now if it shoots as good as it looks I think Ruger has a home run here. I can’t wait to get it to the range. My boys will love this gun and I can shorten the stock to accommodate them. I love the direct Ruger is going these days. I have one request to make this perfect - give me a 10mm version! ?? I love 9mm though so I’m quite content with it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#50]
For what it's worth...

I already have a deposit down on one of these at my LGS. The owner said I wasn't the first person to pre-order, he's trying to get a half-dozen or so more for the shelves, and his distributor is already 'fully-allocated' on the threaded barrel model. I'm in California, and demand is high, so we'll pay full MSRP. I talked to a friend who visited another gun store in the area and it's the same story.

These will be in high demand initially and Ruger will do well on them. Let's hope there's a robust aftermarket on the way as well.

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top