Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
With all the pharmaceuticals in wastewater I'm surprised they would want to put this in the ground.  At least a large portion of pharmaceuticals  and endocrine disruptors will degrade within days due to solar radiation and biological processes.  There will be exponentially less natural attenuation in the ground
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. Folks don't usually understand the path their water takes prior to getting to them. Will be an expansion of water reuse projects.
View Quote
Not really.  There's a reason the enviro agencies don't talk about the pharmaceuticals in the environment.  At least most degrade quickly in the waterways, they not do in the ground.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I picture people getting sick and Cali blaming Trump.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not really.  There's a reason the enviro agencies don't talk about the pharmaceuticals in the environment.  At least most degrade quickly in the waterways, they not do in the ground.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Folks don't usually understand the path their water takes prior to getting to them. Will be an expansion of water reuse projects.
Removing the pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors requires the use of nasty stuff. Sodium Hypochloride or peroxide, but it works. The water that's discharges gets a other straining through the ground. But it's safe they don't go into the ground, they're gone before that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I believe they have a de-sal plant in North San Diego County.
One in Santa Barbara is off line.  Proposals have a high regulatory bar.

"An official at a smaller desal facility told me it took $25,000 of electricity per month to produce enough water for 1,200 homes. In Cal Am’s case, they’re hoping to reach a deal to power the plant using methane from a nearby landfill."

https://www.kqed.org/science/28668/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-problems

$200 per month per home to produce water.
View Quote
They have a major drought every few decades, and the state just keeps growing. The Persian Gulf countries manage it, California’s GDP ought to be able to handle it. Work out a cost sharing program with its neighbors, they don’t want the Colorado totally sucked dry by Los Angeles.
Seems like a lot of the mega cities across the country are having water problems. It’s going to take expensive solutions to make sustainable fixes, but it’s better to make them sooner than later.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
That happens all over the place.  Where did you think it goes?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All water is recycled water.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing new.

Water used for residential use is pulled from the rivers and lakes. They are already putting treated waste water back into the rivers (feather, Yuba, Sac). The treated waste water that goes into the river, is cleaner than what they pull out and provide to communities... Testing have proven this many times. Treated waste water is cleaner than water district supply.

I’m on a well and have septic system.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Pharms and endocrine disruptors are so last year though. The hot button for graduate research is premise plumbing pathogens now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I worked at the Zanesville Ohio wastewater plant. There was graffiti in one toilet that said “Flush twice McConnelsvile (next town downstream) needs the water”

We discharged into the river and our water wells were along the river. Mind you they were upstream of the wastewater plant.   Coshochton and Newark both had wastewater plants discharge  upstream of us.

If treated this water is safe.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We are the only company that removes the pharmaceuticals right now as far as I know. That's the issue, the organisms and virus are easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
I've always been under the impression that the effluent from a waste water treatment plant is technically cleaner than most river water.

I assume the age and tech/type of treatment used by any given plant will affect this. Primary/secondary clarifies w/aeration basins and final treatment has to produce a cleaner product vs ponds with floating aeration motors that mix/propeller the shit out of the water...
Cleaner, yes but not the same.  Most processes do not remove the pharmaceuticals and some of the other inorganics.
We are the only company that removes the pharmaceuticals right now as far as I know. That's the issue, the organisms and virus are easy.
Which company?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Q: And just where does all that sidewalk shit go with the first rain?
A: Into the nearest river, stream or creek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CA could save even more water by encouraging people to emulate more enlightened cultures such as India.

Instead of using so much water to carry away human waste from indoor toilets, Californians should be encouraged to just go outside and shit on the sidewalks, beaches, rail lines, etc., like the Indians do.

CA has apparently already made a good start on this idea in San Francisco, LA, San Diego where legions of homeless relieve themselves whenever and where ever the urge strikes.
Q: And just where does all that sidewalk shit go with the first rain?
A: Into the nearest river, stream or creek.
I guess that somehow you are implying this is a bad thing
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Short of anything that went into outerspace, this planet has the same amount of water on it that it did from day one.  Jeeez
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Short of anything that went into outerspace, this planet has the same amount of water on it that it did from day one.  Jeeez
Yeah poor wording on my part ... that's not what I meant.

In states like Cali you can't water your lawn because of water shortages ... this would help with issues like that.

Another option would be to pump all the grey water from the sewer plants straight out to all the farms for water usage on crops, etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just the building and running a desal plant is really expensive and they can't compete in costs vs treated or reservoir water.

Several places that built them during droughts shut them down long-term when the droughts ended. Lot of money to put up to shutter them a few years later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the building and running a desal plant is really expensive and they can't compete in costs vs treated or reservoir water.

Several places that built them during droughts shut them down long-term when the droughts ended. Lot of money to put up to shutter them a few years later.
It's just like with other new technology ... the time hasn't been spent on it yet to make them more affordable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't wait for 30 years to pass and the infrastructure to fail because it was never properly maintained or replaced. "Oh it's perfectly safe to drink shit water".....Uh huh, as long as EVERYTHING IS DONE EXACTLY RIGHT, all procedures are followed and the equipment is working as it should.....like in Flint, Michigan and the Oroville Dam.....

Enjoy your shit water.
View Quote
Flints water was safe. It was their bad pipe system that was not. The treated water killed the algae scum covering the lead pipes. And the main reason they had to treat their water was due to the high rate of people not paying their municipal bills and being forced to continue providing services.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which company?
View Quote
I’m curious as well because it doesn’t sound like he knows what he’s talking about.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You know if you have a septic and a well you're pretty much drinking and cooking and bathing with recycled gray water.
View Quote
Wrong. At least with modern cased wells. Septic is 2-5ft deep, The well on the last house I built was 330ft deep.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wrong. At least with modern cased wells. Septic is 2-5ft deep, The well on the last house I built was 330ft deep.
View Quote
I know of one actual instance where the owner of a mobile home with a shallow well was forced to fix his leaking septic system.  The day after the leak was stopped, his well went dry.

Also, if you are in an area of Karst topography, then a deep well can be surface influenced since there are lots of cracks and holes through what would be the confining layers.

Secondly, wells deteriorate over time, so a well that was once working fine, can rust through at the casing near the surface and begin letting contaminated surface water in.  Or sometimes people hit them with lawn mowers and break the casing or pull it away from the bore hole, leaving a space where contaminated surface water can enter the well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
California to add recycled sewer water to the state reservoirs

California’s water regulation agency approved new measures Tuesday that will allow recycled water – water that once ran through the sewers – to be added to the state’s reservoirs, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The new rules are expected to be implemented by 2023.

"This is a type of indirect potable use — it's not treated recycle water that goes directly to someone's house," said Miryam Barajas at the Water Board. "It's highly treated."

She says the new regulations could potentially affect all 36 of California’s reservoirs that serve as the main source of the state’s municipal drinking water.
View Quote
The term "It's highly treated." coming from their water board should be a red flag for Californians that you are about eat shit, well drink it anyway.
View Quote
When I was in the Boy Scouts we went to one of the water treatment plants. I was quite impressed. And the water is drinkable and doesn't taste any different than tap water. You should see how it looks coming in, though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]
some...interesting...responses in this thread.

all water is recycled.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Good thinking.  They should have been doing this for years.  The water we dump back into rivers is a process away from being potable.  No reason to build 2 plants like we do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#26]
My thoughts on California: They can eat shit. Well, I guess drinking it will have to do  
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Flints water was safe. It was their bad pipe system that was not. The treated water killed the algae scum covering the lead pipes. And the main reason they had to treat their water was due to the high rate of people not paying their municipal bills and being forced to continue providing services.
View Quote
Bad pipe system of not. there are still thousands of miles of lead service pipe out there yet. It's going to take a long time to replace it all. That's why the Lead and Copper Rule went into effect through the SDWA of 1986.

Flint happened due to three things only:
1. Criminal negligence
2. Falsifying or not doing the required testing in the first place to put corrosion control methods in place.
3. Not performing the 90th Percentile testing at the resting taps as specified, or falsifying those results.

I know the regs well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Everything with a municipal sewage treatment plant is fine and dandy until there is a big rain storm and the sewage plant operators have to bypass treatment and discharge untreated raw sewage directly into the receiving waters in order to prevent the treatment plant from flooding and knocking it out of commission.  Shit happens all the time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Everything with a municipal sewage treatment plant is fine and dandy until there is a big rain storm and the sewage plant operators have to bypass treatment and discharge untreated raw sewage directly into the receiving waters in order to prevent the treatment plant from flooding and knocking it out of commission.  Shit happens all the time.
View Quote
"All the time"?

I ran two and consulted on 11 others. Never once.

Yes, I know there are plants that can not handle some flows due to large weather events and combined stormwater issues that are not separated, even though there's been a lot of ongoing work to change that. And yes, there's a lot of municipalities and private plants that are near capacities that see some surges, but it's not "All the time".
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Runoff is not allowed into municipal sewage systems here.  Runoff goes directly into the rivers.

The worst thing I ever saw happen when working at a couple of wastewater plants: people dumping chemicals into manholes or down the drain.  We had a couple of such instances, one was thought to be some trucker dumping a tankful into the sewers in the middle of the night.  Came into work in the morning to a really awful chemical smell.  Whatever it was, it killed the biomass of our treatment process, which then wound up going downstream.  We had to run many tanker trucks full of activated sludge from another plant in the area and dump it into our system to try to restart our biomass.  It was a huge mess.  I'm sure the trucker who dumped into our system would have faced major jail time if caught, but he never was.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Does it come with a warning that says it contains chemicals known by the state of California to cause cancer???  

Now it's official...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"All the time"?

I ran two and consulted on 11 others. Never once.

Yes, I know there are plants that can not handle some flows due to large weather events and combined stormwater issues that are not separated, even though there's been a lot of ongoing work to change that. And yes, there's a lot of municipalities and private plants that are near capacities that see some surges, but it's not "All the time".
View Quote
What Class operators license did you hold?

Sure "All the time" was an attempt at being facetious and humorous.

But I (20 years in the industry) find it hard to believe you've never had a sewage overflow.   You must have had one heck of an I/I program in place or brand new systems.

You also get overflow from pump stations in the collection system that overflow raw sewage into a watershed or drinking water reservoir before it even gets to the sewage plant.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Runoff is not allowed into municipal sewage systems here.  Runoff goes directly into the rivers.
View Quote
Most all of modern society is on the same page for the past 100 years and have separate storm and sewage systems.

But, the problem comes from what is called "infiltration and inflow" into the sanitary collection system.  The rain water runs into the sewage system through the manholes and other leaks in the system.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
With all the pharmaceuticals in wastewater I'm surprised they would want to put this in the ground.  At least a large portion of pharmaceuticals  and endocrine disruptors will degrade within days due to solar radiation and biological processes.  There will be exponentially less natural attenuation in the ground
View Quote
[The Devil's Advocate]  Are we better off putting that in the ocean? [/The Devil's Advocate]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
The "shithole" moniker is now literal
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What Class operators license did you hold?

Sure "All the time" was an attempt at being facetious and humorous.

But I (20 years in the industry) find it hard to believe you've never had a sewage overflow.   You must have had one heck of an I/I program in place or brand new systems.

You also get overflow from pump stations in the collection system that overflow raw sewage into a watershed or drinking water reservoir before it even gets to the sewage plant.
View Quote
Up to a B license. Sub classes 1,2, 3 and 5

Ran plants of all kinds. Everything from vacuum assist sludge beds to the first SBR's that made it over to the US to plants using traveling sand filtration and discharging to Class A trout streams. very stringent. About 20 years. Also ran my own consulting business and trained operators.
I/I was key. Many monitoring programs and I also had the luxury of doing the construction management of the collection systems and checked all grouting. Many of our plants were not municipal and smaller. All but two were mostly gravity fed., so pump stations weren't an issue (5 in all). Another thing I didn't have to deal with was the fact that many were private systems, so it was cheaper than using state and federal $ to build them, which gave us $ we needed for any improvements. The size, terrain, placement and funding were key issues for us.

You have 20 years in? Cool. You would appreciate this.....
I had a great little plant, worked off of two pumps and was using wooden tanks! There was a fiberglass Parshall flume at the end of the process and the discharge it was permitted for......just ran out into the woods and down the side of a deep ravine 300 yds away. The water would come out and just soak away on and into the side of the mountain under the leaves. And the test results for the product were very impressive.

So I got to play with the newest and oldest tech out there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Up to a B license. Sub classes 1,2, 3 and 5

Ran plants of all kinds. Everything from vacuum assist sludge beds to the first SBR's that made it over to the US to plants using traveling sand filtration and discharging to Class A trout streams. very stringent. About 20 years. Also ran my own consulting business and trained operators.
I/I was key. Many monitoring programs and I also had the luxury of doing the construction management of the collection systems and checked all grouting. Many of our plants were not municipal and smaller. All but two were mostly gravity fed., so pump stations weren't an issue (5 in all). Another thing I didn't have to deal with was the fact that many were private systems, so it was cheaper than using state and federal $ to build them, which gave us $ we needed for any improvements. The size, terrain, placement and funding were key issues for us.

You have 20 years in? Cool. You would appreciate this.....
I had a great little plant, worked off of two pumps and was using wooden tanks! There was a fiberglass Parshall flume at the end of the process and the discharge it was permitted for......just ran out into the woods and down the side of a deep ravine 300 yds away. The water would come out and just soak away on and into the side of the mountain under the leaves. And the test results for the product were very impressive.

So I got to play with the newest and oldest tech out there.
View Quote
The little package plants are fun and I agree they can be pretty reliable.

But when you're talking municipal wastewater treatment plants in the realm of 200 MGD capacity, they have hard time during these freak huge rain events.

Also, sometimes the operators just plain fuck up (usually night shift) and let a little burp through here and there without telling anyone.

And the pumps in pump stations just fail on their own too sometimes and overflow during a drought.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The little package plants are fun and I agree they can be pretty reliable.

But when you're talking municipal wastewater treatment plants in the realm of 200 MGD capacity, they have hard time during these freak huge rain events.

Also, sometimes the operators just plain fuck up (usually night shift) and let a little burp through here and there without telling anyone.

And the pumps in pump stations just fail on their own too sometimes and overflow during a drought.
View Quote
Agreed. I have toured large municipal systems. I can see how it would happen and I'm sure in cases, it does. The biggest I consulted on was municipal at 2.3 mil a day, storm water already separated.
And some of our "Package Plants" were actually more "Modular plants" up to 3/4 mil a day (Clow/Purestream)
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This type of process is not uncommon. City A discharges treated sewer water into river. Some miles downstream City B pulls river water into water plant, treats it, then sends it straight to your kitchen.
View Quote
All I can say is I grew up in Europe where the drinking water is marginal(literally), got to the states and had Alaskan water, which is LITERALLY "glacier water from Alaska, some high quality H2O" it tastes better out of the tap than bottled water. So since Anchorage is literally city A, and city B is ocean) we are good.   Went to philiadelphia (at the mouth of the skukal river) and thought that the water was contaminated, (it is drinkable but terriable taste). Found out why thye call it "skukal sludge" ...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agreed. I have toured large municipal systems. I can see how it would happen and I'm sure in cases, it does. The biggest I consulted on was municipal at 2.3 mil a day, storm water already separated.
And some of our "Package Plants" were actually more "Modular plants" up to 3/4 mil a day (Clow/Purestream)
View Quote
Ever consulted on a sewage plant for a prison? You have to put a macerator or commutator like a Muffin Monster up front and use grinder pumps because of all the stuff they like the flush down the toilets.

They also like their water towers extra high for increased water pressure to their firehoses for riot control.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#41]
We have no shortage of water.  We have a shortage of cheap water in some/many locations with large populations.

The solution is simple - increase the price of water.  Significantly.

People have no economic incentive to preserve or save what they believe to be almost free.

The increased cost will permit the wider spread use of things like desal plans.  It will also limit the economic waste of using millions upon millions of gallons of "free" water to cultivate crops in basically deserts.

Just the change in watering patterns for residential yards would save huge amounts of water.  But, as long as its basically free, people just keep consuming.

Ultimately, I think we should privatize water just like electrical service.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ever consulted on a sewage plant for a prison? You have to put a macerator or commutator like a Muffin Monster up front and use grinder pumps because of all the stuff they like the flush down the toilets.

They also like their water towers extra high for increased water pressure to their firehoses for riot control.
View Quote
Once upon a time, the company I worked for made parts for them.
We cracked up just a bit when we figured what they made.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Been telling CA to eat shit for years. Looks like they're finally going to do it
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, never did, but love the Muffin Monsters. I loved the trade shows where they would let you throw shit down in them to watch it grind up, a quarter of a  tire , women's 5 inch pumps, all kinds of fun shit.

As for the water towers, I would make them high enough to require pressure reducers, beef up the distribution system and in the case of riots, have electric motors that open up the pressure control zones
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
some...interesting...responses in this thread.

all water is recycled.
View Quote
Its because its California.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Desalination plants are horrifically expensive and consume ridiculous amounts of energy. They only make sense in a desert country like Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I only drink bottled water anyways.  Only time I use the tap water is for washing dishes. So I'll just be eating off of shitty plates. Lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Shit in your own nest, or reservoir.

State is going brown anyway and is the future revealed, what I heard.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I only drink bottled water anyways.  Only time I use the tap water is for washing dishes. So I'll just be eating off of shitty plates. Lol
View Quote
What do you shower in?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What do you shower in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you shower in?
Liberal tears. They're abundant here in California since the election, and cheaper than water. The salt is also good for exfoliating the skin.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top