BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a bike seat post completely frozen one time. Im not kidding, it was STUCK.

Put the head of it in a vice and tried used the frame as leverage to get it out.

The only thing that seemed to do the job was kroil. Pb for 4 days nothing. After 2 days the kroil broke it free.
View Quote
So, 6 days total.  What if you gave the PB another two days.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Aero Kroil and as much soak time as possible generally works for me. Patience is generally my problem.

If I can plan ahead, I spray several times a few days ahead of time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So, 6 days total.  What if you gave the PB another two days.
View Quote
Yeah I wish I had a real side by side comparison but I don't.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I use pb blaster.  If that dont work i goto kroil.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did he mention Ed's Red? (I couldn't force myself to watch more than a couple of minutes)
View Quote
I used Ed's Red to cut the crud on some 21 year old Corvette wheels last weekend so I could spray on Plasti-dip. It worked a treat, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
50/50 mixture of acetone and AFT fluid is what you seek
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
1/3 ATF
1/3 Acetone
1/3 Kerosene
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
View Quote
I believe someone on Garage Journal did a test some years ago and found that the acetone/ATF combo worked as good or better than any commercial penetrating oil. They recommended 50/50 but I've found that to be a bit thin and won't stick to the parts. I usually mix 2 parts ATF to 1 part acetone. And it looks and smells just like Kroil, hmmm.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Focus you fuck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
That one guy made me put my dick in a vise.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dang it...beat. Mouse Milk is amazing. Unless its your turn to milk the mice...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have kroil.  Anyone have reviews on Mouse Milk?
dang it...beat. Mouse Milk is amazing. Unless its your turn to milk the mice...
Yep.  Mouse Milk is good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep. It is also the best for loosening up a stuck piston in a cylinder. Fill it up and let it sit for a few days. If that doesn't work then set it on fire and let it burn for a day. I have broke loose a lot of old engines that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
Yep. It is also the best for loosening up a stuck piston in a cylinder. Fill it up and let it sit for a few days. If that doesn't work then set it on fire and let it burn for a day. I have broke loose a lot of old engines that way.
An article in an antique tractor magazine suggested old socks, rags, etc. soaked in diesel fuel, crammed in the cylinder and let burn. I did try it once and it worked, messy as hell but worth it!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's the thread from Garage Journal's forum showing a test run by Machinist's Workshop magazine of the various penetrants. The 50:50 ATF-Acetone mix  seemed to work best:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200247

Edited to add: the author of the test stated that it was actually power steering fluid, not ATF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
Here's the thread from Garage Journal's forum showing a test run by Machinist's Workshop magazine of the various penetrants. The 50:50 ATF-Acetone mix  seemed to work best:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200247

Edited to add: the author of the test stated that it was actually power steering fluid, not ATF.
This is the torque chart I was waiting for.

I put Kroil in a plastic spray bottle. Backup is PB.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Kroil
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interestingly enough, I've never seen mouse milk outside of aviation circles and aircraft hangars, or heard it spoken of for that matter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
No hype, Kroil is good shit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Kroil. The key ingredient is oil of wintergreen. It's what the others lack. PB is my backup. Liquid Wrench is squirrel piss.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough, I've never seen mouse milk outside of aviation circles and aircraft hangars, or heard it spoken of for that matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. And to tell the truth, I've never used it for anything but lubing waste gates. Mostly because I keep a good supply of Kroil.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Kroil is the best for masking the odor of week according to many potheads
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
been using PB Blaster  for the last couple of years...very satisfied with it and will continue using it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I do know that Kroil will penetrate a small plastic food storage bowl. I was impressed
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That one guy made me put my dick in a vise.
View Quote
Did it look like this ?

Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came here to say this. I've seen a number of home tests that pitted the commercial stuff against this. The mix always won.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Regular old furnace fuel oil works great as it has excellent capillary pentrating properties.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
View Quote
Yep, used this combo with success again last week on a saltwater used McKee Craft with an old Johnrude 150's frozen Teleflex steering cable. Remove both zerk fittings on the mount pivots, mold a heavy duty aluminum foil trough around the cable and mount pivots, fill with ATF and Acetone 50/50 mix. Replenish twice daily for 2-3 days. A couple hammer blows on the end as another person tugs on the wheel usually does the trick. Shits magic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Regular old furnace fuel oil works great as it has excellent capillary pentrating properties.
View Quote
Is that just kerosene?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I like ave vids.  I keep my dick in a vice.

That said, kroil has worked when wd40 and pb blaster failed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Ed's Red works great but the acetone WILL evaporate unless it is sealed very well. OTC Kroil works the best. Add an induction heater and there isn't anything you can't get off as long as you can get heat to penetrate. [induction heaters are the boss]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Would ATF and Acetone be the fluid to remove a suppresser from a host?  It locked on with carbon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would ATF and Acetone be the fluid to remove a suppresser from a host?  It locked on with carbon.
View Quote
Find someone with an induction heater. Seriously. They are magic.

Kroil works pretty good in softening carbon and getting between it and the metal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in the rust belt and do a LOT of crappy mechanical work.

My first go to is heat.  No you simple plebeians, not out of a propane bottle.

I mean real heat.  Oxy Acetylene. I do, of course keep PB around, but I reach for
the torch set before I reach for anything else.

But "Waaaahhhhhhh" you say.  "I can't get heat where I want it"...... "Waaaaaaahhhhhhh".....

It's very rare that I can't get heat where I want it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I live in the rust belt and do a LOT of crappy mechanical work.

My first go to is heat.  No you simple plebeians, not out of a propane bottle.

I mean real heat.  Oxy Acetylene. I do, of course keep PB around, but I reach for
the torch set before I reach for anything else.

But "Waaaahhhhhhh" you say.  "I can't get heat where I want it"...... "Waaaaaaahhhhhhh".....

It's very rare that I can't get heat where I want it.
View Quote
Oxy is plebeian, induction heaters are the present. [unless you want to actually cut/burn it off.]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oxy is plebeian, induction heaters are the present. [unless you want to actually cut/burn it off.]
View Quote
I have no clue what you mean.

Oxy/Acet is better than sex and almost as good as sliced bread.

It's not as if you have to cut anything to heat effectively.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I know, induction heaters are magic, they only heat what is between the coils leaving everything else around them cold. Cool as hell and you can use them in areas that you really don't want an open flame by.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, WHAT works best on the Bobcat Quickdetach bucket locking pins??

No, can't hammer on the pins...easily deform,

Oil does creep through the channel though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tried to watch the video.

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
Dude is hilarious. He takes dry, boring shit and makes it fun.

After all, how entertaining could YOU make breaking loose 16 rusty bolts?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had kroil work.  Seems like good stuff.  I'd be surprised if it was significantly better than other penetrating oils in standardized testing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I like kroil.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Kroil is the one penetrating oil to rule them all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Changinig gears a bit--I want to mention penetrating lubricants (Kroil, etc. are NOT lubes).  I ran across a product years ago called Breakfree PCL, advertised as a penetrating lubricant.  Made and sold by the same folks who sell  Breakfree CLP, of course, the gun lube/cleaner.  We got a gallon jug of the stuff, it worked great in industrial applications.  Rusty drive chains?  Soak 'em down with the PCL, let 'em  sit overnight, the stuff pulled out rust like crazy.  I used PCL all over the plant, and encouraged my coworkers to as well.  Great stuff.  Well, after a year or two I couldn't find the PCL anymore, though there was still plenty of CLP around.  I called up the maker one day, talked to some nice lady on the phone.  I asked her about PCL vs CLP.  She rather sheepishly admitted that they were the same thing, changing the name was just a marketing move.  So we bought CLP by the gallon after that.  It was about $70 a gallon, still worked as great as ever.  I used it on everything from large format printing presses to CO2 lasers and embroidery machines.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ok, WHAT works best on the Bobcat Quickdetach bucket locking pins??

No, can't hammer on the pins...easily deform,

Oil does creep through the channel though.
View Quote
Those quick-tach pins can be a PITA. There are grease fittings on the sides of the carriage but grease just attracts grit that jams up the pins. I've taken to occasionally spraying the pins with WD40 or equivalent and they stay free.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#44]
AVE is smarter than me and 90 percent of the bumblefucks posting here.

Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with liquid Kroil, but one has to give it time to work.  If significant heat is applied in order to undo a fastener, then all the components to which significant heat has been applied must be replaced.  The application of significant heat to metals can change their properties, and for safety's sake, all such items must be replaced.
View Quote
As stated above but a trick I learned from scrap yard guys is to heat the bolt or plug that you want to get out, then let if cool before trying a wrench. Sometimes it takes repeated applications of heat and penetrating oil but it works more often than not, especially with steel bolts in aluminum housings. Seems counter-intuitive to heat the bolt, expanding it, but it seems to break the rust/corrosion when it cools. And you're heating an expendable part.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Those quick-tach pins can be a PITA. There are grease fittings on the sides of the carriage but grease just attracts grit that jams up the pins. I've taken to occasionally spraying the pins with WD40 or equivalent and they stay free.
View Quote
We put PB blaster in the holes for the grease fittings after we pulled the fittings.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#47]
PB Blaster works on normal stuff.

Acetone and ATF for the really corroded shit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Changinig gears a bit--I want to mention penetrating lubricants (Kroil, etc. are NOT lubes).  I ran across a product years ago called Breakfree PCL, advertised as a penetrating lubricant.  Made and sold by the same folks who sell  Breakfree CLP, of course, the gun lube/cleaner.  We got a gallon jug of the stuff, it worked great in industrial applications.  Rusty drive chains?  Soak 'em down with the PCL, let 'em  sit overnight, the stuff pulled out rust like crazy.  I used PCL all over the plant, and encouraged my coworkers to as well.  Great stuff.  Well, after a year or two I couldn't find the PCL anymore, though there was still plenty of CLP around.  I called up the maker one day, talked to some nice lady on the phone.  I asked her about PCL vs CLP.  She rather sheepishly admitted that they were the same thing, changing the name was just a marketing move.  So we bought CLP by the gallon after that.  It was about $70 a gallon, still worked as great as ever.  I used it on everything from large format printing presses to CO2 lasers and embroidery machines.
View Quote
I don't know why people never mention Break Free CLP in these threads.  It actually works quite well.

As also mentioned, ATF/acetone works well, and is cheap.

The best stuff I ever tried is from AC Delco.  But it's expensive and smells terrible, so I only use it as the last resort before applying heat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Used to be a PB guy.....then I mixed up a gallon of Ed's Red.  No more store bought penetrating oil for me.
View Quote
This, and save your money for more ammo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Kroil works pretty good in softening carbon and getting between it and the metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got bored and mixed up some ATF/ACETONE, hit it with the map gas torch.  It came free.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top