Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two folders (one for me and one for my dad) that will be with me tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My order, 4079xxx (2 fixed), is now marked shipped! Tracking number is shown but not yet live on the FedEx site, so presumably the truck hasn't come by for pick-up yet.
View Quote
Tracking number is live, expected delivery is Wednesday. My FFL usually has people pick-up the next day since they get a ton of transfers and don't log them in till the end of the day, so hopefully I'll have them in hand Thursday! Transfers at this shop are free, so I don't mind a slight delay.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Just picked up my folder.  Looks very nice.  Handling marks but nothing serious.  Insides appear un-fired.  Piece of masking tape on the wood forend with "7" written on it.  I can't believe how smooth the action is.  It's nice they shipped in a new hardcase.

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Just picked up my folder. It looks pretty good. There’s a couple spots of surface rust but it should wipe off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow those folders look great!  I would have ordered one of them too, but I got to the thread late and they were all sold out.  Got an order in on a fixed stock just barely, so I'm thankful for that.  They sold out not long after.  I have to tip my hat to OP again, thanks man!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The $1.01 charge on my credit card from The Sportsman Superstore disappeared.  I don’t see the full price charge yet
I hope it is shipping and not canceled and the charge didn’t show up yet
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Since it seems like a bunch of people are getting theirs today, don’t forget to head over to the Shotgun section thread to provide your serial number if you don’t mind.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Remington-M870-Riot-shotgun-information-thread/1-493489/
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To put the time period into perspective. We’ll use 1972 because that was the date code on two shotguns I’ve seen so far.

These movies came out in 1972
The Godfather
Joe Kidd
Deliverance
The Poseidon Adventure
Jeremiah Johnson
View Quote
Where are you in Texas? I need to buy you a beer for posting this deal. The one random day I’m in GD I scored a deal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where are you in Texas? I need to buy you a beer for posting this deal. The one random day I’m in GD I scored a deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To put the time period into perspective. We’ll use 1972 because that was the date code on two shotguns I’ve seen so far.

These movies came out in 1972
The Godfather
Joe Kidd
Deliverance
The Poseidon Adventure
Jeremiah Johnson
I’m in north Fort Worth. I don’t drink but the thank you is appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
FFL just  signed for my fixed stock 870 2 min before I checked my tracking info!!!!!! I cant wait to pick it up!!! Will  I be able to post pics being a new guy? Might need alittle help doing so if someone doesnt mind helping me out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I case people want to see the 870 section of Bruce Canfields book combat shotguns.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA better 2nd and 3rd photos
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Got mine in today. Looks pretty much unused, accept for the wood.

Does have rust on receiver. Used fine wool and clp, but it looks like the rust already ate into the bluing? not very noticeable.

Cool shotgun. Don't even know if I want to take it to the range now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The blueing on some of these guns looks amazing. Better than any current production shotguns at least.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a tracking number. Should have my full stock by end of day Wednesday
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Don't know much about bluing, but is it possible to take these spots that were rusted off? Tried scrubbing it with 00 wool and clp and they won't come off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine has finally shipped should have it by Thursday.

on a side note, why are pics so huge now? everyone pics I have to go side to side to see the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The $1.01 charge on my credit card from The Sportsman Superstore disappeared.  I don’t see the full price charge yet
View Quote
That happened to me yesterday.  I panicked but today they shipped and full price was charged.  Relax .
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/CN0yCuh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/btYZRKs.jpg

Don't know much about bluing, but is it possible to take these spots that were rusted off? Tried scrubbing it with 00 wool and clp and they won't come off.
View Quote
I’d be careful with 00 steel wool. I would’ve only used 0000 to keep from scratching it. I’d let it soak with some oil and rub it down a few times and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
My wood stock just shipped today. Should have it by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That happened to me yesterday.  I panicked but today they shipped and full price was charged.  Relax .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool. Probably get it tomorrow.  My FFL is only 30 miles away
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’d be careful with 00 steel wool. I would’ve only used 0000 to keep from scratching it. I’d let it soak with some oil and rub it down a few times and see what happens.
View Quote
Agreed. I will use 0000 very carefully with bluing but nothing more coarse. Only if I have no choice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Bronze wool might be a better choice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Agreed. I will use 0000 very carefully with bluing but nothing more coarse. Only if I have no choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess as a word of advise or caution to anyone else that gets one of these with some rust. Use as weak of a solution as you can. I’d start with a good couple wipe downs with oil and a rag. Do that 10-15 times over the course of a day. Use 0000 steel wool and oil as a last result. You’re not going to “fix” these spots.  If there is a rust spot, the bluing will 99% of the time still show some form of damage. You just want to keep the rust from spreading and turn the rust spot dark rather than that brown color.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Since it seems like a bunch of people are getting theirs today, don’t forget to head over to the Shotgun section thread to provide your serial number if you don’t mind.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Remington-M870-Riot-shotgun-information-thread/1-493489/
View Quote
I’m going to be busy tonight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I guess as a word of advise or caution to anyone else that gets one of these with some rust. Use as weak of a solution as you can. I’d start with a good couple wipe downs with oil and a rag. Do that 10-15 times over the course of a day. Use 0000 steel wool and oil as a last result. You’re not going to “fix” these spots.  If there is a rust spot, the bluing will 99% of the time still show some form of damage. You just want to keep the rust from spreading and turn the rust spot dark rather than that brown color.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking. I already got rid of the rust. Was just seeing if those damaged spots could be completely taken out. Sucks this shotgun was probably sitting in humid truck all weekend, since it was raining here in texas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got back from picking mine up. One folder, one fixed. Definitely not as nice as some of the ones posted so far. The fixed stock has seen some action, there are marks on the receiver and the wood. Like some of the others it appears as though the mag tube nut has been removed with pliers at one point. ONG engraving is there but no other military markings.

The folder is nicer finish-wise, but one leg of the stock appears bent, so the shoulder part doesn't lock up when used. I'll have to see if I can twist it around.

Pics and serial numbers to come in about 15 minutes after I get a couple things taken care of.

ETA: pics up. These are straight out of the box, not even a wipe down. They do look better after a once over.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
For those with rust I can highly recommend https://bluewonder.us/blue-wonder-gun-cleaner/  I had a Mossberg 500 that was stolen and when I got it back it was covered in rust. The Blue Wonder took all of the rust off and didn't damage any blung. I was highly impressed. It's like $8 at Midway.

Whatever you use I recommend planning and going slow, if you need to get supplies first do it, don't try to force it with whatever you happen to have on hand because of impatience.

Here is their video in crappy VHS quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxHhg1sODBg

Their product is higher quality than their videos.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For those with rust I can highly recommend https://bluewonder.us/blue-wonder-gun-cleaner/  I had a Mossberg 500 that was stolen and when I got it back it was covered in rust. The Blue Wonder took all of the rust off and didn't damage any blueng. I was highly impressed. It's like $8 at Midway.

Whatever you use I recommend planning and going slow, if you need to get supplies first do it, don't try to force it with whatever you happen to have on hand because of impatience.

Here is their video in crappy VHS quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxHhg1sODBg

Their product is higher quality than their videos.
View Quote
I 2nd this stuff. Bought a heavily used PPC revolver a few years ago and it had some rust spots on the blued sight rail. This stuff cleaned it up very nice and didnt discolor the surrounding finish.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I had to email CS to get an update, and one of their folks called me.  Apparently you bastards crashed their web server. :) My payment didn’t go through.

They reassured me that they did have a shotgun set aside ready to ship.  I re-submitted payment and my order is finally processing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had to email CS to get an update, and one of their folks called me.  Apparently you bastards crashed their web server. :) My payment didn’t go through.

They reassured me that they did have a shotgun set aside ready to ship.  I re-submitted payment and my order is finally processing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe they should just leak the deals here. We could sell out anything good in a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe they should just leak the deals here. We could sell out anything good in a few hours.
View Quote
Arfcom can be a business’ dream, or their worst nightmare.  It’s all a matter of perspective.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a tracking number, should be at my FFL on Wednesday. That’s only 6 minutes from where I work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Yup, I'm kicking myself because I only ordered one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Being a tool and die maker, I might try to copy that bayonet mount for my 870 Express. Should be easier with an original in hand.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bronze wool might be a better choice.
View Quote
Yup, Bronze is the way to go. I use a brass brush and oil.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Being a tool and die maker, I might try to copy that bayonet mount for my 870 Express. Should be easier with an original in hand.
View Quote
@72Harley

Its a simple design.  Two halves screwed together.  Top half appears to have three folds.  Bottom just one.  Bottom likely then welded after being drawn.  Bayont lug then welded/soldered on.  On second analysis, without mine in hand, is the bottom half attached to the magazine extension?  See the below pic of an original one in package.

@Tumerboy pictures
(not my pictures)

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/870_Riot__mk_2____PHOTOS_ADDED/123-667838/

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#39]
One for transfer came in today, not mine so no pics/SN.

Bayo lug and sling. Fixed stock. ONG engraving.

Top of receiver and trigger guard have a lot of wear, scuffs. Minor surface rust on receiver. Magazine extension knob thing is like a burnt bronze color. Wood parts show some hard loving but not quite thrown down the driveway.

Bore looks good except 2 obvious scratches in barrel. Some brass dust in receiver action. Action, receiver, barrel, mag extension packed in grease. Not sure if fired or cleaned other than test fire. Not mine so not gonna run a patch down barrel to see if those are scratches or just test fire residue.

For $229/239 its a good deal. Action is smooth as warm butter. Edit: action is way way better than my 2012 ish new production 870.

Detail strip, cleaning, and oil and it'll be fine.

edit 2: 95% of the wear looks like it came from metal to metal contact in some kind of locking mechanism for a vehicle or gun rack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#40]
One of mine made it to the FFL but I’ll probably wait until tomorrow whene they’re both there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Denim and ATF for rust spots
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Denim and ATF for rust spots
View Quote
What is "ATF"?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#43]
2 fixed stocks and 2 folders arrived at my FFL today.  I'll be picking them up Wednesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#44]
1ea Fixed, Order# 40792XX ordered 17 Oct 1554 CDST, on Fedex Shipped notice as of 1424 today, ETA Wed.

By the way, fellow with the NIW M7 Bayonets with M10 black plastic scabbards is North Alabama Military Surplus, https://www.facebook.com/North-Alabama-Military-Surplus-207658359780170/

Don't post on his timeline, send him a message, FB has deleted some of his shit because they consider bayonets assault weapons. I know, stupid, some don't think they be like they are but they do.   He has about 20 left, NIW.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What is "ATF"?
View Quote
Automatic transmission fluid.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
1ea Fixed, Order# 40792XX ordered 17 Oct 1554 CDST, on Fedex Shipped notice as of 1424 today, ETA Wed.

By the way, fellow with the NIW M7 Bayonets with M10 black plastic scabbards is North Alabama Military Surplus, https://www.facebook.com/North-Alabama-Military-Surplus-207658359780170/

Don't post on his timeline, send him a message, FB has deleted some of his shit because they consider bayonets assault weapons. I know, stupid, some don't think they be like they are but they do.   He has about 20 left, NIW.  
View Quote
@stoner63a how much are they?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#47]
As it turns out, I have a buddy who just happens to be on active duty with the Ohio 148th, and he called me after I sent him a picture of one of my shotguns. He said "I'm almost sure I handled that one as we were turning them in." They 870s only went to Vance's in September.

These 870s were Ohio owned, so were only used when the Guard was on state duty; they have a supply of Mossbergs that were provided by the DOD and carry these when used in Federal service. The folders came from Company C in Tiffin, and were in the original wood crates when he took delivery of them; he thought they may have been test-fired, but were otherwise in storage, likely since the mid-1970s.

My friend knew Vance's had the shotguns, but had no idea they were selling them so soon. He wanted to buy one, as the selling price was about what an Arfcom Gold membership costs, but was prohibited from doing so.

I thought some of you would be interested in knowing this information.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Mines marked shipped.Looked in my order and account info .But no tracking yet
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is "ATF"?
Thanks, never knew that was a use for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#50]
2 more days.

I'm gonna be pissed if I'm delayed.

Last time I wasn't but the 3 times before that I was.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top