Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would NYC actually abide a Supreme Court decision?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I see this as an easy win but dont think its impact will be wide reaching,  the the 10,000 ft view, the SC doesnt like to make giant changes.

So maybe transportation laws are deem unconstitutional and kind of imply possession outside the home is ok.

then that could be used to attach may issue
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@StevenH

A rather well-informed lawyer on TTAG (who correctly called the cert grant for this particular case, last year) theorizes that the decision will be a narrow one, but will apply blanket "strict scrutiny" to 2A cases.

Many lower court decisions on 2A restrictions won't stand up to the higher level of scrutiny, and will have to be reversed.
View Quote
If that happens it would be as important as the Heller decision, no?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Even when I was a cop going to NH (flew into Albany), my buddy who was (now ret.) a VT cop and ex-NYPD told me not to bring a handgun.  NY laws. This was pre-Leosa days.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@StevenH

A rather well-informed lawyer on TTAG (who correctly called the cert grant for this particular case, last year) theorizes that the decision will be a narrow one, but will apply blanket "strict scrutiny" to 2A cases.

Many lower court decisions on 2A restrictions won't stand up to the higher level of scrutiny, and will have to be reversed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is good news. It’s going to be tough waiting until October.

Not sure how a win helps those in other states though.
@StevenH

That’s a likely outcome.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
in theory yes it would be as important as Heller as long as lower courts actually follow it
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Good. I'm skeptical of Roberts on the 2nd, but I see him at least going with a narrow ruling to strike this infringement down as written
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@StevenH

View Quote
I hope so. Strict scrutiny would be huge for future cases.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If that's true that's amazing. California has nothing close to that nonsense (yet).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assuming a positive outcome this could be a big win for people in NJ. While the transportation rules aren't as bad as NYC they are very restrictive as well. In NJ it is a crime to take a handgun from your home to a hotel, friends house, or vacation home for example.
If that's true that's amazing. California has nothing close to that nonsense (yet).
IIRC, registered assault weapons have some similar travel and use restrictions.
Not 100% sure though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey everyone...I know NYC's bullshit gun laws almost perfectly. Unfortunately.

This is MUCH bigger than most people think...here is why...

In NY (state and city), if you have a pistol permit, it is actually a CARRY PERMIT. Even if the county restricts it to only "allowing" target shooting/hunting...it is still legally a CARRY PERMIT. They can NOT arrest you for carrying a loaded handgun if you have a pistol permit in NY.

BUT, NYC didn't want to have any part of that...so what they do is, they issue the ONLY other kind if pistol permit in NYS law...it is called a PREMISE ONLY permit. Legally, it ONLY allows one to possess the pistol at the address listed on the permit. No target shooting, no hunting, no gun shop repair. Nothing. Nada.

But NYC figures it will only issue people this bullshit PREMISE only permit, and ILLEGALLY (against NY law), "allow" people to target shoot and hunt. NYC even got a liberal activist judge to go along with this saying it was OK. When it is not.

The reason NYC does NOT allow people to transport their PREMISE PERMIT ONLY handguns out of NYC is actually valid, because technically, a NYS trooper or town cop COULD arrest them for possessing a handgun outside of the  address on their PREMISE ONLY permit. But if you stay in NYC to target shoot, no NYPD officer would arrest you. But a NYS trooper that is visiting NYC could still arrest you in NYC believe it or not!

So...what does this mean? If SCOTUS says this practice is bullshit, NYC will HAVE to once again start issuing TARGET/HUNTING pistol permits, which again, are legally FULL CARRY permits.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not 100% sure though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assuming a positive outcome this could be a big win for people in NJ. While the transportation rules aren't as bad as NYC they are very restrictive as well. In NJ it is a crime to take a handgun from your home to a hotel, friends house, or vacation home for example.
Not 100% sure though.
Yep, but that question is not before the court.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuck that bull shit bull shit.

If the Framers had meant the federal government can regulate anything anywhere they would have come out and said it ... not used the commerce clause. The federal government slipped a big restriction on their power there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:the    Commerce    Clause

If the Framers had meant the federal government can regulate anything anywhere they would have come out and said it ... not used the commerce clause. The federal government slipped a big restriction on their power there.
This one is a good call, as it restricts NYC gun owners from patronizing NJ, etc, ranges, because their home city will not let them leave with their guns.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I fucking hate NYC.  I loathe going there anymore, even to see family.  I hope SCOTUS rips that cesspool of subhumanity (I think I just made up a new word!) a new asshole.  I have a NYS handgun license which is unrestricted and good for concealed carry anywhere and anytime in New York but for the 5 boroughs of that total shithole city.  I'd love to see the smackdown on them so that state licenses are good there too.  If NYC doesn't want to be in NYS then it's more than welcome to GTFO.

FUBD
(Fuck You Bill Deblasio)
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We need a magazine capacity and an "assault weapon" case.

After ginsburg dies and we get another conservative hopefully we'll get some useful cases.
View Quote
This indeed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#20]
We will find out soon enough if the last 2 SC picks were good. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So...what does this mean? If SCOTUS says this practice is bullshit, NYC will HAVE to once again start issuing TARGET/HUNTING pistol permits, which again, are legally FULL CARRY permits.
View Quote
Not according to my old NY county.
@Mech2007
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@StevenH

Probably more important that Heller, as Heller has been basically ignored.

This would give Heller some teeth, strict scrutiny is the highest standard of review. A SC ruling applying strict Constitutional scrutiny to anything related to the 2A could open the door to national reciprocity, Constitutional carry, rolling back the NFA, etc...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.
Yes, about as well as they honor the transport protections in FOPA.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand this is a challenge to the law as being prima facie unconstitutional. There is also a Supremacy Clause argument that FOPA overruled the City's ban on transport. They should have presented that question as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Mech2007
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Mech2007
If there was a county law maybe, but he’s right-  NY only recognizes if you have a permit or not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had no idea states limited such things...
View Quote
Growing up my entire life in New York State, except for four years in Massachusetts in college which was no better, it was a total shock to me how in most states one could walk into a gun store and buy a handgun with nary a glance. I remember my father contemplating getting a handgun when I was a kid back in the 1970's and the amount of county paperwork he would have had to go through for that "permit". He never did. Even now a neighbor wants to get his "permit" to buy a handgun and it could take up to 18 months to get just the right to purchase a handgun and keep it in his home.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll be Negative Nancy: Heller and McDonald  didn't do anything meaningful for NYC subjects,this is very unlikely to do much either. However,it's a low hanging gun case that won't matter much either way but at least allows them to address firearms so they can move on to other things for the next X years rather than do something that would make drastic changes for everyone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is the official NRA-affiliated State Association.  I'm sure someone will come along and complain "where is the NRA?" though.

The NRA operates behind the curtain so that local state residents can be front and center.  It reduces the complaints that they have no standing or that it is "entities outside the state trying to control what happens in another state".
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How far reaching could this be?

Could it rule that all restrictions on transport and where you can go are unconstitutional?

Could it prohibit private business from being "no guns allowed" areas? How about federal facilities?

Could it even touch how you transport, and allow constitutional concealed and open carry?
View Quote
Very narrow in scope.

No.

No.

Very fuck no.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#31]
The SCOTUS will rule its unconstitutional and tell NY to overturn the law. NY will laugh in communist and tell SCOTUS to FOAD and law will stand. Then as punishment NY will pass more unconstitutional laws to punish law abiding citizens.

In the case of NJ just replace NY with NJ and it’ll be the same.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In NY (state and city), if you have a pistol permit, it is actually a CARRY PERMIT. Even if the county restricts it to only "allowing" target shooting/hunting...it is still legally a CARRY PERMIT.
View Quote
Not accurate Dave.

NYS PENAL LAW 400 AND 265 have specific exemptions for NYC.

I hope I am wrong.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting. The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and weigh in if that is an acceptable restriction within the 2A, the commerce clause of the constitution, and the right to travel.

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition, so if they side with NYSRPA instead of NYC, it would instantly establish precedent across the country for CA, MD, NJ, etc to abide by.

Kharn
View Quote
At the moment, this type of transport isn't an issue in CA.

However, it seems to me this could also have implications for CCW. In fact the court could move farther that way with respect to CCW if it wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess you're right, but I still think ccw is stupid.  My home state is constitutional carry and that's REALLY how the federal constitution is too its just ignored
View Quote
Shall issue is the gateway drug for constitutional carry.

Most of the constitutional carry states started as shall issue. I think Vermont is the exception.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Perhaps, if the USSC gives NYC a good solid kick in the nuts, RBG will stroke out.  I hate wishing harm to the old girl - I’d much prefer she retire - but the current political has me worried.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Prior to 1942 no one realized the scope of the power of the federal government. It is almost as if the court neutralized the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In NY (state and city), if you have a pistol permit, it is actually a CARRY PERMIT. Even if the county restricts it to only "allowing" target shooting/hunting...it is still legally a CARRY PERMIT. They can NOT arrest you for carrying a loaded handgun if you have a pistol permit in NY.

BUT, NYC didn't want to have any part of that...so what they do is, they issue the ONLY other kind if pistol permit in NYS law...it is called a PREMISE ONLY permit. Legally, it ONLY allows one to possess the pistol at the address listed on the permit. No target shooting, no hunting, no gun shop repair. Nothing. Nada.

But NYC figures it will only issue people this bullshit PREMISE only permit, and ILLEGALLY (against NY law), "allow" people to target shoot and hunt. NYC even got a liberal activist judge to go along with this saying it was OK. When it is not.

The reason NYC does NOT allow people to transport their PREMISE PERMIT ONLY handguns out of NYC is actually valid, because technically, a NYS trooper or town cop COULD arrest them for possessing a handgun outside of the  address on their PREMISE ONLY permit. But if you stay in NYC to target shoot, no NYPD officer would arrest you. But a NYS trooper that is visiting NYC could still arrest you in NYC believe it or not!

View Quote
Do you work for the NRA?

Looks like an email advert with the bolding
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct (as edited above). You are not violating PL 265. But as has been noted on the NY Hometown Forum, your licensing authority (judge or county police depending on location) will take offense at your ignoring their restrictions and revoke your license. Then you have to surrender your handguns since you will no longer have the legal authority to possess them.

A Strict Scrutiny ruling would be great BUT that means all these past cases decided against us such as the SAFE Act, Sullivan Law and myriad of other bans will all have to start over at square one again with legal challenges. I guess it would be somewhere around 2030 before we would start seeing some reversals. Of course if the Democrat's maintain the House, take control of the Presidency and Senate in 2021, and carry out their desire to up the SCOTUS justice count to 18, then we will see it all fall apart rather quickly as nine new liberal justices are appointed. And as others have noted, NYC will ignore whatever ruling comes out or at least tweak it ever so slightly that it will take years to challenge it all over again.

I've lived in New York State too long to have any optimism or hope these days.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

However, it seems to me this could also have implications for CCW. In fact the court could move farther that way with respect to CCW if it wanted to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NYC says you can't transport your pistol except from your domicile to their seven approved ranges, not even to other states, your upstate home, or to go hunting. The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and weigh in if that is an acceptable restriction within the 2A, the commerce clause of the constitution, and the right to travel.

This is the first major 2A case to reach the merits stage since McDonald in 2010, Caetano had a summary disposition, so if they side with NYSRPA instead of NYC, it would instantly establish precedent across the country for CA, MD, NJ, etc to abide by.

Kharn

The Court will probably find NYC's laws prohibiting the locked/unloaded transport of legally owned firearms unconstitutional.
What will be interesting is how they do it (strict scrutiny?), and if they say things like "right to travel with a firearm" in the dicta, which opens the door for the NEXT case to be about the right to carry.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not 100% sure though.
View Quote
Well, you can shoot them on BLM land. That wasn't the case under the Clinton administration, but Bush changed it.

AWs have to be locked up separate from their ammo during transport. Basically the same rules apply to AWs that apply to handguns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Lol at acronyms that are meaningless to most of us.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not accurate Dave.

I hope I am wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In NY (state and city), if you have a pistol permit, it is actually a CARRY PERMIT. Even if the county restricts it to only "allowing" target shooting/hunting...it is still legally a CARRY PERMIT.
Not accurate Dave.

I hope I am wrong.
Yes NYC does have exemptions...but not with the TYPES of licenses they are allowed to issue.

There are only 2 types (for civilian)...CARRY and PREMISE.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I fucking hate NYC.  I loathe going there anymore, even to see family.  I hope SCOTUS rips that cesspool of subhumanity (I think I just made up a new word!) a new asshole.  I have a NYS handgun license which is unrestricted and good for concealed carry anywhere and anytime in New York but for the 5 boroughs of that total shithole city.  I'd love to see the smackdown on them so that state licenses are good there too.  If NYC doesn't want to be in NYS then it's more than welcome to GTFO.

FUBD
(Fuck You Bill Deblasio)
View Quote
^ Spot on. I was born & raised in NYC. Was a NYPD cop/Detective for 20yrs. Chased guys with guns, been shot at, rolled around with motherfvckers and took illegal guns off the streets of the South Bronx. But now that I'm retired, I can get arrested for carry a gun in NYC (I don't live in NYC). Can't get outta here soon enough. FNY.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll be Negative Nancy: Heller and McDonald  didn't do anything meaningful for NYC subjects,this is very unlikely to do much either. However,it's a low hanging gun case that won't matter much either way but at least allows them to address firearms so they can move on to other things for the next X years rather than do something that would make drastic changes for everyone.
View Quote
Heller and McDonald determined that the 2nd was an individual right that applies to the states as well.

They didn't change much on their own, but they were a set up for future action.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I see this as an easy win but dont think its impact will be wide reaching,  the the 10,000 ft view, the SC doesnt like to make giant changes.

So maybe transportation laws are deem unconstitutional and kind of imply possession outside the home is ok.

View Quote
Not an immediate impact, but it can open the floodgates.

Depending on the wording of the ruling, it could be destructive to the left and set them back immensely right when we need it most.

ETA: assuming the court slaps NYCs dick into the dirt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Carry licenses currently issued in NYS feature the following disclaimer on the back.

Attachment Attached File

So you can legally carry all over the state until you get to NYC, where your statewide approved legal licensed conduct will get you cuffed and stuffed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is the official NRA-affiliated State Association.  I'm sure someone will come along and complain "where is the NRA?" though.

The NRA operates behind the curtain so that local state residents can be front and center.  It reduces the complaints that they have no standing or that it is "entities outside the state trying to control what happens in another state".
View Quote
Actually, you were first. Either way, I wouldn't waste a lot of time worrying about it .
I'm sure they're too busy trying to get pistol braces banned.

If this case goes our way, will I be less "puckered asshole" driving through NYC?NJ going to and from SC/FL ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
And NYSRPA has Paul Clement, the former Solicitor General of the United States, arguing the case. Clement argued for the US in support of Heller, and for the NRA in support of McDonald, along with 60+ other appearances before the court, the most in history.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Supporting Heller has been a frustrated effort on the court since Sandy Hook when Kennedy forever flipped on gun issues. The court has been lamenting the status of the 2A as a 2nd tier right..they could easily use this case to broadly reinforce Heller, it all depends on how strongly they can write an opinion based on who will sign off on it.   Even money it's a 5-3 court by then... or even 6-3.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After ginsburg dies and we get another conservative hopefully we'll get some useful cases.
View Quote
This.  The timing isn't great.  I hope she's replaced by the time that this is heard.

The 2cir's decision was against us -- they agreed with the district court that it was fine to limit the use of the guns to the seven approved NYC ranges.  If Ginsburg is on the court, any one defection from the five "conservatives" would fuck us.  If Ginsburg is incapacitated but still blocking a replacement, any one defection would result in a tie that would maintain the 2cir's ruling.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top