Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Comanche looks like a fun little truck, pretty few and far between though.

I root for the one on TFL's videos, owning a similar '80's compact although from a different brand it is fun to watch.

I parked a CJ-5 at a car show a couple weeks ago.  It was so crude and simple... looked like it would be a blast.  Event still had a 304 in it.
View Quote
Had a '76 CJ-5 with V8 had a lot of fun with that when I was younger and didn't mind freezing and changing U-joints out in the snow...
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bed is too small to be a useful pickup truck and the cabin is too small to be a useful SUV.  The worst of both worlds.  Yet, I still think it would be cool to have one.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is the J-10 and J-20?
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My criticism this entire time has been one of value.
View Quote
That's the issue with the entire SUV segment. The vehicles don't cost much more to produce but they have much higher profit margins. Consumers are willing to pay much higher prices.

Outside of fleets most vehicle purchases are based largely on emotions.
Hell Jeep came out right in the beginning and said they would sell the gladiator as a "lifestyle"  vehicle.
IE: this is what you want to drive to project your outdoor cred. And they price it as such.

If vehicle purchases were based purely on need Nissan Versas would be flying off the lot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eww. get out of here with that thought.
CJ was the last of the Jeeps
View Quote
YJs and TJs are literally just upgraded CJs. Decent amount of parts commonality.

JKs were the first all new.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where is the J-10 and J-20?
View Quote

Here's mine, I also have an LJ and really like the new jeep truck.  I like solid axles and easy to modify vehicles, which anything based on the wrangler will be.  Everyone on this site evidently likes tacomas and yet almost all of them sold are crew cab short box trucks with an overall length similar to the gladiator.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://u.cubeupload.com/Va77chief/PicsArt0302062251.jpg

Here's mine, I also have an LJ and really like the new jeep truck.  I like solid axles and easy to modify vehicles, which anything based on the wrangler will be.  Everyone on this site evidently likes tacomas and yet almost all of them sold are crew cab short box trucks with an overall length similar to the gladiator.
View Quote
No brow. Loser. :P

(beautiful J-truck btw)
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(beautiful J-truck btw)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(beautiful J-truck btw)
Yeah my previous 77 cherokee didnt have a brow either....

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is a flop.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m still struggling to understand why I’d want a gladiator over a ZR2 bison.

ETA: those approach and departure angles are for the non-ZR2/bison models. Not sure why they would post those models to compare it to.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m still struggling to understand why I’d want a gladiator over a ZR2 bison.

ETA: those approach and departure angles are for the non-ZR2/bison models. Not sure why they would post those models to compare it to.
View Quote
Because you're not into off-roading and all that comes with it?
Because you don't like convertibles?
Because you like 31s?
Maybe you like putting lipstick on a pig?
Maybe you towing 2,650lbs less?
Paying more for less?
Not into technology?
I really don't know
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because you like 31s?
Paying more for less?
Not into technology?
I really don't know
View Quote
The Bison has an approach angle of 30-degrees, its departure angle is 23.5-deg. The Bison’s 8.9-inch ground clearance is on the lower end of the midsize off-road truck segment.  The Bison also starts at $50K.  Better breakover and arguably better armored underneath.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife informed me this morning that she wants one for her birthday...
Assuming I can't talk her out of it what pricing are people actually running into.
I see sports listed for $36,000 and rubicon's for $46,000.
does anyone know how much the diesel will add to the cost when it hits the market?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Show us your Gladiator and Tacoma Pictures!
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about interior room and amenities?
View Quote
Found the vehicle for you man!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Assuming I can't talk her out of it what pricing are people actually running into.
does anyone know how much the diesel will add to the cost when it hits the market?
View Quote
The diesel is what I am waiting for as well. Im scared it's going to be a $5000 option like it is in the fiat trucks. Also remember it will only be available with a slush box so that's at least another $2000 so now we're at $7k. I'm probably going to forego the rubi because I don't want all the creature power comforts. I'll get a sport model because I'll likely do an axle swap to a set of built 44 or maybe 60's. 37-40" tires with deep gears and diesel power maybe asking a bit much for the factory d44s.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Bison has an approach angle of 30-degrees, its departure angle is 23.5-deg. The Bison’s 8.9-inch ground clearance is on the lower end of the midsize off-road truck segment.  The Bison also starts at $50K.  Better breakover and arguably better armored underneath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you like 31s?
Paying more for less?
Not into technology?
I really don't know
I think the Bison with the 2.8 would be a better off road rig. I would never get the Jeep over it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Looked at one closely today in a parking lot, it looks.........unfinished. The fender flares are especially poorly done, the back is even worse then the front ones. I thought they were broken off at first but nope, they just stopped the rear ones several inches high in the rear ones at the front and several inches on the front ones at the rear. Looked like shit, guess Jeep can't mold plastic flares worth a shit yet.

The soft top was so so, just didn't seem to fit the rest of it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The diesel is what I am waiting for as well. Im scared it's going to be a $5000 option like it is in the fiat trucks. Also remember it will only be available with a slush box so that's at least another $2000 so now we're at $7k. I'm probably going to forego the rubi because I don't want all the creature power comforts. I'll get a sport model because I'll likely do an axle swap to a set of built 44 or maybe 60's. 37-40" tires with deep gears and diesel power maybe asking a bit much for the factory d44s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would bet it is at least $5k. I can't remember the exact numbers but on the Grand Cherokee it was expensive. The worst part was that they only had it as a option on their highest trims so even thought it was only $4-$5k or whatever for the diesel the total cost to get a diesel over a lower trim was more like $7k if I remember right.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the Bison with the 2.8 would be a better off road rig. I would never get the Jeep over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you like 31s?
Paying more for less?
Not into technology?
I really don't know
LOL. The Bison is already towards the end of what is achievable with the Colorado platform. The Gladiator in any of its available trims is just getting started. Give the Gladiator a basic build with a few inches of lift and 37” tires and it’s game over for the glorified S10 Bison.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the little truck, but I'd be scared to tow 7,600#s with a Gladiator.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Please post this in every Gladiator thread so I don't have to.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the little truck, but I'd be scared to tow 7,600#s with a Gladiator.
View Quote
How many trucks would you feel comfortable towing with at the absolute maximum allowable weight?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How many trucks would you feel comfortable towing with at the absolute maximum allowable weight?
View Quote
I have a 2012 Nissan Titan, and I have no concerns towing at rated load with it.  I don't do it regularly, but it's not scary.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a 2012 Nissan Titan, and I have no concerns towing at rated load with it.  I don't do it regularly, but it's not scary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes a 2012 Titan not scary at almost a ton more, but the Gladiator scary?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They fit as-is. See Litebrite on youtube, where they are currently doing a Hemi swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lengthening the front end to fit the extra length would probably cause a rift in the Jeep universe.
They fit as-is. See Litebrite on youtube, where they are currently doing a Hemi swap.
@cmlasley

Jeep has already said while the Hemi fits it would not pass crash testing and is to dangerous in a crash for them to do it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@cmlasley

Jeep has already said while the Hemi fits it would not pass crash testing and is to dangerous in a crash for them to do it.
View Quote
It wouldn't be hard to get them to pass.

Major retool but overall simple fix.

It would then be a 100k dollar truck.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you like 31s?
Paying more for less?
Not into technology?
I really don't know
LOL the Colorado, every generation was great....

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
For off road because you don't know what that entails if so.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#32]
So I just drove the I35 corridor Fort Worth to San Antonio south and north.
I saw one gladiator on the road.
Are these selling and not being driven?
Or just not selling?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So I just drove the I35 corridor Fort Worth to San Antonio south and north.
I saw one gladiator on the road.
Are these selling and not being driven?
Or just not selling?
View Quote
They're selling pretty quick provided there isn't a monster of a mark-up. I have seen a few scattered around the PNW. A few on 4ds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Was just thinking of this thread the other day... in the last week or so I’ve seen a total of one on the road. None in NY where I just was for 2 days.

Purely anecdotal but maybe the excitement has waned slightly...?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I just left a job at a Jeep dealership and they were not selling at our store at all. But the car business is like that.
After school starts sales will pick up. But they are expensive for what they are
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was just thinking of this thread the other day... in the last week or so I’ve seen a total of one on the road. None in NY where I just was for 2 days.

Purely anecdotal but maybe the excitement has waned slightly...?
View Quote
They had the first run special order thing. They should start rolling them out soon. Then we will see more/even more on the road.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Every dealership I passed had at least two on the lot.
I don’t think availability is the issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#38]
With a weather proof cap maybe, but for now I will keep the 4 door I have.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I have still seen zero on the road... and I drove 3500 miles in July throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and Montana.

And there are actually two AEV Brutes and 3 trillion Rubis in my immediate AO, so it's pretty inexplicable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I've started seeing a handful semi-regularly now. One nice black one on 37s that's sweeeeet looking.

Took a while before I started seeing JLs on the regular too though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I test drove one for the hell of it.  It was surprisingly comfortable, smooth and quiet with decent handling.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Took the doors off mine...having a blast driving around. I've had lots of people stop and talk to me about it when I've been out and about

Saw one driving on the highway on our trip to Florida
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Please post this in every Gladiator thread so I don't have to.
View All Quotes
The tow rating and cargo capacity are both wrong for the Rubicon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I've seen a few, you have to figure that the Jeep plant in Toledo is also making both 2 and 4 door Wranglers too. Plus whatever else comes out of there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Live in charleston the home of jeeps. Well every 5th on the road is one. Only seen two gladiators. The question is do you have to buy the gladiator rubicon to get decent axles?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Live in charleston the home of jeeps. Well every 5th on the road is one. Only seen two gladiators. The question is do you have to buy the gladiator rubicon to get decent axles?
View Quote
No.  Get the Sport S with the HD Max Tow package.  That gives you the wide track Dana 44 axles with 4.10 gears just like the rubicon minus the lockers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Mine ships on the 17th so I should see it by the end of the month. I’m having aftermarket items put on it that will take a couple more days to get done. Probably take it from here (NH) to the Outer Banks for its maiden voyage. Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Saw this one dozed out already
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#49]
In a HC space no less. Perfect.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In a HC space no less. Perfect.
View Quote
Yeah, thats at our classroom/digital training building on post. Medically retired/disabled veteran who now teaches. A lot of them get jacked up vehicles to hang their handicap tags in.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top