Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lots I can say here.... have you ever attended a major pistol type match?

80% of the shooters have a 2011 or sparkly CZ. Any glocks you see are usually noobs who ditch them as soon as they can afford to upgrade. if you look at the few pro shooters who run Glocks the frame is usually the only thing factory on the gun, and that usually has some type of modification.
View Quote
Hey, GLOCK still dominates GSSF matches!

Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hey, GLOCK still dominates GSSF matches!

View Quote
Is it considered a party foul to bring a non Glock to a GSSF match?... Drink B*&tch!
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I find it interesting that there is a debate about which platform dominates top tier matches while we pretty much gloss over that there are plenty of videos of the lowly Glock being used in the ultimate practical match, on the street, often with very good effect.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that there is a debate about which platform dominates top tier matches while we pretty much gloss over that there are plenty of videos of the lowly Glock being used in the ultimate practical match, on the street, often with very good effect.
View Quote
Well hell, in that case give me Hi Point.  They go bang pretty much every time and are accurate enough.

ETA:  There are plenty of M/GM's shooting pretty much stock Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean like when there are 87 rounds fired and one perp gets shot in the right leg?  

Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was mostly my fault, poking fun at riding the reset on a Glock to shoot “fast”.

A Glock is fine.  An STI is fine.  If the shooter is worth a damn.  A good shooter is going to get more out of an STI type gun than a bad shooter would.  Hell, I routinely get smoked at matches locally by a cop shooting a freaking XD.

To paint with a very broad brush, cops in general would be better off with a Glock IMO, since they’re not all gun guys.  Good luck teaching the ones that aren’t into guns about adjusting an extractor.

Maybe this group is more into guns and maybe the STI will be a good tool for them.  Or maybe they just wanted something to differentiate from the lowly “normal” cops. Don’t know, doesn’t affect me.

I’m mostly just pissed at the money I’ve wasted on CZs, STIs, etc when all I needed to do to shoot fast is learn how to ride the reset on my glocks....
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good luck teaching the ones that aren’t into guns about adjusting an extractor.
View Quote
*cough*

Aftec

*cough*  ;)
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe this group is more into guns and maybe the STI will be a good tool for them.
View Quote
I suspect that this is the case.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was mostly my fault, poking fun at riding the reset on a Glock to shoot “fast”.

A Glock is fine.  An STI is fine.  If the shooter is worth a damn.  A good shooter is going to get more out of an STI type gun than a bad shooter would.  Hell, I routinely get smoked at matches locally by a cop shooting a freaking XD.

To paint with a very broad brush, cops in general would be better off with a Glock IMO, since they’re not all gun guys.  Good luck teaching the ones that aren’t into guns about adjusting an extractor.

Maybe this group is more into guns and maybe the STI will be a good tool for them.  Or maybe they just wanted something to differentiate from the lowly “normal” cops. Don’t know, doesn’t affect me.

I’m mostly just pissed at the money I’ve wasted on CZs, STIs, etc when all I needed to do to shoot fast is learn how to ride the reset on my glocks....
View Quote
I have no issues with 1911's for those that want to use them.  I would also say that they are probably better suited to shooters who are also into the mechanics of the 1911.  The 1911 user that is going to carry one seriously (like the one who would shoot one competitively) is probably more akin to a guy that is into muscle cars that can also do a lot of wrenching on them.  The extractor reference is a good example, as it's not normally a drop in part and often was referred to as being "tuned" (fitted and tensioned) to ensure reliability.  I suppose the 2011 does away with some of the issues with parts that could work loose from their staking.  I liked 1911's when I owned them, but got away from them because I just got tired of checking them for potential issues (admittedly some are more likely to happen than others) like the internal extractor, checking the barrel link and pin, checking the barrel bushing etc.  While it's an older tested platform, there are parts that can fail that are not present on other service capable guns.

The Marshal's SOG are already using 1911's so the platform is in service with them and I guess it is an upgrade to the platform they are looking at.  I'm curious what they will do for field available repairs versus what they may have to send to the manufacturer if they have a mechanical issue.  With so few Marshal's in SOG, I don't really know how their armorer availability works when you compare the 2011 to the basic course offered by the likes of Glock and some of the other big names.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
So they dumped their Glocks and bought nickel-plated sissy pistols?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So they dumped their Glocks and bought nickel-plated sissy pistols?
View Quote
SOG has had 1911's for as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
So are the grip safeties going to be pinned?
Seeing how the XD is hated on here for that as well as other reasons.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He's probably referring to the fact that only STI owns the designation "2011" as a trademark to refer to the Strayer-Tripp modular grip frame design.   It's much like the "only Armalite makes an AR-10" argument that we've had here for years.    Obviously, there are other companies making frames of this style, to include Cheely / CK, Phoenix Trinity, Brazos Custom, etc.

EDC 9 would not be considered a 2011, much like a Para Ordnance style frame would not be considered a 2011.  A rule of thumb is that if it doesn't use 2011 mags, it's not a 2011.
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification ??
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So are the grip safeties going to be pinned?
Seeing how the XD is hated on here for that as well as other reasons.
View Quote
I would hope not. I like grip safeties in general, and they're 100% necessary on 1911s, especially if you have ambi and or extended safeties on them. There's no way I would ever carry a 1911 without a grip safety.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would hope not. I like grip safeties in general, and they're 100% necessary on 1911s, especially if you have ambi and or extended safeties on them. There's no way I would ever carry a 1911 without a grip safety.
View Quote
The Wilson EDC X9 doesn’t use one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Wilson EDC X9 doesn't use one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Wilson EDC X9 doesn't use one.
The SVI doesn't either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The SVI doesn't either.
View Quote
Not really a “carry” gun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Wilson EDC X9 doesn’t use one.
View Quote
To each their own. Just don't get in front of me if you have one in a shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To each their own. Just don't get in front of me if you have one in a shoulder holster.
View Quote
Single action guns without grip safeties

The first 4 that I though of, stop being silly.

CZ SAO

Sig Sauer Legion

Browning Hi Power

Wilson EDC X9
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some of yall are thicker than a HK Mark 23.  

I'm laughing my ass off at the "Glocks shoot fast because you can ride the reset" just like everyone else is.
View Quote
I was gonna say, I don’t remember you posting stupid nonsense. I feel better now
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Single action guns without grip safeties

The first 4 that I though of, stop being silly.

CZ SAO

Sig Sauer Legion

Browning Hi Power

Wilson EDC X9
View Quote
I've never carried any of those, so I can't speak to them. But I used to carry a 1911, and the danger is real. Something about the way they carry you're going to inadvertently deactivate the safety sooner or later. It's no biggie when the grip safety is in play, but it would be a highly dangerous situation if the grip safety were disabled, especially if you had a hair trigger like most of them nowadays seem to.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was gonna say, I don’t remember you posting stupid nonsense. I feel better now
View Quote
You must not read many of my posts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've never carried any of those, so I can't speak to them. But I used to carry a 1911, and the danger is real. Something about the way they carry you're going to inadvertently deactivate the safety sooner or later. It's no biggie when the grip safety is in play, but it would be a highly dangerous situation if the grip safety were disabled, especially if you had a hair trigger like most of them nowadays seem to.
View Quote
I’ve carried 2 out of the 4.

Use a good holster.  Never deactivated the safeties on any of my safety equipped CZs when I carried them.  Most of them with extended ambi safeties.

Never had a safety flipped off a 1911 when I was carrying it either.

Don’t use shit holsters and it’s not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
.45 can do better through barriers. I'll take a .45 over a 9mm for shooting through a deer shoulder any day.

Never was able to do direct comparacents on people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who want less barrier penetration and capacity, were talking duty guns.  Normally I'll argue in defense of choosing a .45acp as a self defense pistol for the average person, but not at all for LEO/.mil use anymore. 9x19 all the way. Why? Barrier penetration & capacity.
.45 can do better through barriers. I'll take a .45 over a 9mm for shooting through a deer shoulder any day.

Sorry,  you're flat out misinformed here. 9x19 is one of the deepest penetrating "real" pistol calibers there is. Sheet metal, plexiglass hardwood etc stop .45acp way more easily. .45acp may break bone and concrete blocks more easily because of the increase in muzzle energy, however I said barrier penetration, meaning passing through the barrier. 9mm simply does this far better, tested it myself with a full size 1911 with 230gr FMJ vs 124gr 9x19 out of a 4" compact 9mm. 9 punches through thicknesses of the above mentioned materials that stop the .45acp. .45 makes a big ol dent though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Prophet John Moses Browning, may peace be upon him, never wanted a grip safety.

The Army insisted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Use a good holster.  Never deactivated the safeties on any of my safety equipped CZs when I carried them.  Most of them with extended ambi safeties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll have you know my Uncle Mike makes fine holsters.

Seriously, never used a shit holster in my life. That's great for you that it's never happened, but it's a very common problem. You would be crazy to assume it's never going to happen to you just because you have a high quality holster. All you have to do is brush up against something, get it snagged on your seat belt, hit it with your arm, whatever. It can happen to anyone, regardless of what kind of holster they have.

Quoted:

The Prophet John Moses Browning, may peace be upon him, never wanted a grip safety.

The Army insisted.
With the non ambi milspec safety it's probably not absolutely necessary, but with the extended and especially the ambi extended safeties, which are pretty much standard now, it's not optional in my opinion. Like I said, to each their own, but I think it's beyond reckless.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll have you know my Uncle Mike makes fine holsters.

Seriously, never used a shit holster in my life. That's great for you that it's never happened, but it's a very common problem. You would be crazy to assume it's never going to happen to you just because you have a high quality holster. All you have to do is brush up against something, get it snagged on your seat belt, hit it with your arm, whatever. It can happen to anyone, regardless of what kind of holster they have.

With the non ambi milspec safety it's probably not absolutely necessary, but with the extended and especially the ambi extended safeties, which are pretty much standard now, it's not optional in my opinion. Like I said, to each their own, but I think it's beyond reckless.
View Quote
Dude, stop, even if the safety is off you still need to hit the trigger. It’s not a common problem. If your holster is so shitty that if after the thumb safety is deactivated and it has no grip safety aka Glock it’s going to go boom if the trigger is pressed.  Your arguments are fucking stupid and borderline retarded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]
To each their own.  I read a post the other day from some dude who says he refuses to carry a 1911 without the series 80 firing pin safety.

First time I’ve heard someone say that in my 44 yeas.  Usually I hear the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry,  you're flat out misinformed here. 9x19 is one of the deepest penetrating "real" pistol calibers there is. Sheet metal, plexiglass hardwood etc stop .45acp way more easily. .45acp may break bone and concrete blocks more easily because of the increase in muzzle energy, however I said barrier penetration, meaning passing through the barrier. 9mm simply does this far better, tested it myself with a full size 1911 with 230gr FMJ vs 124gr 9x19 out of a 4" compact 9mm. 9 punches through thicknesses of the above mentioned materials that stop the .45acp. .45 makes a big ol dent though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who want less barrier penetration and capacity, were talking duty guns.  Normally I'll argue in defense of choosing a .45acp as a self defense pistol for the average person, but not at all for LEO/.mil use anymore. 9x19 all the way. Why? Barrier penetration & capacity.

Ok.

I've had 124 NATO, 147 gold dot stopped by a deer shoulder. I've never had a 45acp get stopped. Wether fmj or gold dot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Hilton Yam published a piece on 1911s for duty where he said each person should be issued two or the agency should have a bunch of extra guns to issue out when a gun is being serviced. Would this be the same for the STI guns?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Ask Hilton.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not really a "carry" gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SVI doesn't either.
Not really a "carry" gun.
The fuck you say!  If I buy one it damn will be.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You miss the point.

Even if you consider the remote possibility of the safety being swept off inadvertently as a risk worth worrying about, a quality holster that completely and securely covers the trigger will prevent the trigger from moving.

Which is why I said, use a quality holster, and roll on.  Just like you would with a Glock or any other gun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
No kidding, as if the success of match toys translates into street use.  Glocks are more than adequate for their intended purpose, and anyone who cant shoot one to an acceptable level of combat accuracy isnt worth a fuck as a pistol shot to begin with.  Same goes for nearly every other prominent auto pistol on the market.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nah, para ordinance was about that in the Clinton era and weren't that good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow $130 pistol mags.  Is that an industry first?
Nah, para ordinance was about that in the Clinton era and weren't that good.
They were $40-50 magazines jacked up because of supply and demand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's probably because Safariland is a good company and continually improves their products, a RDS holster is probably a newer production model. I believe the 7TS resolved this issue as well.

Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of level 3 ALS WML capable Glock holsters in service currently have the problem in question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm I went and checked my 6360RDS for my Glock 17 and I couldn't stick my finger inside.
That's probably because Safariland is a good company and continually improves their products, a RDS holster is probably a newer production model. I believe the 7TS resolved this issue as well.

Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of level 3 ALS WML capable Glock holsters in service currently have the problem in question.
So the vast majority of level 3 als wml capable Glock holsters in service are of a shit design?

Sounds like they should be replaced.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
G19 with a boat load of training ammo
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No kidding, as if the success of match toys translates into street use.  Glocks are more than adequate for their intended purpose, and anyone who cant shoot one to an acceptable level of combat accuracy isnt worth a fuck as a pistol shot to begin with.  Same goes for nearly every other prominent auto pistol on the market.
View Quote
Formula 1 drivers are chumps and they should be able to win with an IROC Camaro from the 80s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So the vast majority of level 3 als wml capable Glock holsters in service are of a shit design?

View Quote
The Safariland ALS I used at work 10 years ago exposed a tiny part of the back of the trigger guard of my G17 / TLR-1 combo.  Unless you reached in with a coat hanger, bent into a hook, like a back-alley abortionist, you weren't going to pull that trigger while holstered (and even then, it would take some SERIOUS finagling, especially with the NY1 trigger setup).  Anyone who tries to sell that as a serious safety issue is full of shit.  While it wasn't integral to the function of the holster (as far as I could tell), and could have been modified to give 100% complete coverage, it wasn't anything like some people describe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Early 6360s were bad for allowing fingers and other objects to get inside the trigger guard. The newer designs have fixed this issue

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Formula 1 drivers are chumps and they should be able to win with an IROC Camaro from the 80s.
View Quote
You mean win with a car that was made before the Model T.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#42]
USMS SOG

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#43]
STI RULES, GLOCK DROOLS.

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Safariland ALS I used at work 10 years ago exposed a tiny part of the back of the trigger guard of my G17 / TLR-1 combo.  Unless you reached in with a coat hanger, bent into a hook, like a back-alley abortionist, you weren't going to pull that trigger while holstered (and even then, it would take some SERIOUS finagling, especially with the NY1 trigger setup).  Anyone who tries to sell that as a serious safety issue is full of shit.  While it wasn't integral to the function of the holster (as far as I could tell), and could have been modified to give 100% complete coverage, it wasn't anything like some people describe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is actually a pretty well known issue with the early 63xx series holsters. When we switched from G21s with tlr-1to 17s, we naturally went with the same 63xx holster. As soon as we got them in, it was shockingly easy for anyone to get a finger on the trigger of a holstered handgun. When we contacted the rep,  we were again shocked when he commented to us that 'yeah, we've had a couple dozen reports of NDs from agencies using that holster.' We immediately changed our order to the 7000 series, as it utilizes a different design and does not share the issue. The 63xx series holster has now been redesigned, as I have been told, to remedy the issue.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]
What a gross and unnecessary purchase. Fuck the taxpayers I guess.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Lots of folks in this thread who have no personal experience with STI sure like to throw their opinion around like they know everything. I have no problem with the expenditure and would carry my STI as a duty gun with no hesitation. It's an awesome platform and in my personal experience has been 100% reliable with every type of ammunition I have thrown at it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:56:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice straw man argument. Brilliant comparison!  Army rangers and socom make due with glocks, the beretta no, and signs in active war zones. I'm sure the fucking us Marshall's need STI sidearms to do their jobs, lol.  Nice try. Massive waste of taxpayer money so they can be "special".
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nice straw man argument. Brilliant comparison!  Army rangers and socom make due with glocks in active war zones.
View Quote
Speaking of straw man arguments
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

80% of the shooters have a 2011 or sparkly CZ. Any glocks you see are usually noobs who ditch them as soon as they can afford to upgrade. if you look at the few pro shooters who run Glocks the frame is usually the only thing factory on the gun, and that usually has some type of modification.

edit* I was late in on that one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straight facts.  It’s why GLOCK dominates any shooting sport that involves shooting fast.

edit* I was late in on that one
Hey I took 3rd at Oregon State with my G24!  Yeah it has a giant magwell and KKM barrel, but still very glock.
(Would have been second if I didnt get fucked on a reshoot)
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top