Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, no, it's great. Who needs personal responsibility? It's all the manufacturer's fault!
View Quote
Fentanyl can surpass your ability to control yourself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guns are addictive in the way that tattoos are addictive and harmful in the way that spoons make people fat.

Has nothing in common with guns.
View Quote
Lol.

At least the anti-gun crusaders have the pretense that guns are used to harm people other than the one voluntarily using them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The extra potency causes this behavior. "No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain"
View Quote
The oxy in oxycontin is exactly the same as the oxy in percocet.  There was no "extra potency."   The mg per tablet were higher because it was delivered over 12-24 hours, not 30-45 minutes, with the idea that someone in 24 /7 pain would be well served with a med that worked 24/7. The concept is correct.  The problem is that junkies were able to bypass the time release coatings and get all the drug at once.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus, what a bunch of bullshit.

Like no one knew the "risks of addiction to opioids?"

What is this? 1900? WTF?

The doctors didn't know?
The patients didn't know?

This is no different than suing gun manufacturers because some asshole shot someone.

I hope they appeal and win.

You know, there are evils everywhere. And even if the salesmen said "our opioids are non-addictive," the doctors know it's bullshit and any patient with half a brain knows it's bullshit.

Would you believe it if someone told you water is dry?
View Quote
Drug companies lied, docs took perks for writing scripts & patients are idiots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When the doctor you trust prescribes you an addictive chemical exactly who is responsible?  When, in the depths of the opioid crisis,  Congesscritters change the law to make it harder to shut down the companies churning out the drugs exactly who is responsible?  When DEA officials, who should be prosecuting the drug companies but are angling for better-paying jobs lobbying for them, fail to prosecute crimes exactly who is responsible?
View Quote
This. People seem to not fully grasp what fentanyl does. This is not the same as alcohol addiction.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always wonder where the money goes on these giant judgements against corporations.

I'm assuming a good chunk goes to lawyers and the rest disappears into the black hole of government. Guessing a lot of the time the judgement is overturned or lowered eventually on appeal.

When you start talking talking half a billion here or there thats real money. Where does it go? Like with the giant tobacco settlements where did all that loot disappear to?
View Quote
Lawyers became billionaires overnight and not a single person has stopped smoking and your taxes taken to "take care of people" have not dropped a single cent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much of those opiates were bought by medicare and medicaid patients?  The state should sue itself for enabling the opiate crisis.
View Quote
thats also part of the problem
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not at all. Defending the creation and use of fentanyl is going to be a never ending argument. I say this drug was designed to be addictive and if J and J did not see what they were doing they tirned a blind eye
View Quote
Bullshit.  It is a wonderful peri-operative drug that is much easier to titrate than morphine due to rapid metabolism. It is a great drug when not misused just like...wait for it...the AR15 is a great gun when not misused.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The "crisis" is not bullshit for the kids at the bottom of the hill this shit rolls down.

By which I mean, I teach elementary school and have had to deal with the fallout of more than several overdoses (a couple fatal) over the past few years and, speaking for the kids, there's nothing "bullshit" about this.  The ODs, even non-fatal ones, are really bad for the kids too as they often find themselves displaced to foster or grandparents’ care and a new school or, if they started out with both parents, just end up back at school sometimes with a dead mom or dad.

This wasn't happening 10 years ago.  At least not among these people.  Something changed to where middle class, productive people started abusing opioids and dying.
View Quote
So, ...for the children!!

And yes it was happening 10 years ago; the media just hadn't told you to start hyperventilating about it yet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What crimes, pray tell?

The opiate "crisis" was manufactured BY the very same politicians and lawyers who now are bemoaning it.   Remember, "pain is the 5th vital sign!  OMG! Meanie doctors are leaving people in PAIN! Sue them! Regulate them!"
View Quote
I always wanted to know where the pain management push came from into the hospitals and EMS. I dont think it was a self review
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe someone could explain the difference between blaming the pill manufacturer for opioid deaths, and gun manufacturers for gun deaths?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This. People seem to not fully grasp what fentanyl does. This is not the same as alcohol addiction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the doctor you trust prescribes you an addictive chemical exactly who is responsible?  When, in the depths of the opioid crisis,  Congesscritters change the law to make it harder to shut down the companies churning out the drugs exactly who is responsible?  When DEA officials, who should be prosecuting the drug companies but are angling for better-paying jobs lobbying for them, fail to prosecute crimes exactly who is responsible?
So detoxing from it won't literally kill you  like alcohol can?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where do people get this nonsense? It is a strong synthetic opiate. It is not magical .
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wait until elderly heart attack patients can't get morphine from EMS for the trip to the hospital.

Die in pain or die from fear.
View Quote
Morphine and Fentanyl are being phased out. Turns out the Nitrates and getting reprofused are what stops the pain
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nowhere is "non-addictive " in that article. It says that addiction of three types of drugs were rare in hospitals. Rare--not non addictive--and yes, it has a valid point.

You have repeatedly said that these meds were marketed as "non-addictive."  Now show me that.
View Quote
This is all I got.  But “rare” as you call it in this study is 0.0003 percent of people experienced addiction.  I have no more arguing to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How much of those opiates were bought by medicare and medicaid patients?  The state should sue itself for enabling the opiate crisis.
View Quote
Now hold on there, don't go on injecting logic into the conversation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I always wanted to know where the pain management push came from into the hospitals and EMS. I dont think it was a self review
View Quote
Lawyers and politicians.  In fact, if you wonder where some crap originates, the correct answer is usually lawyers and politicians.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is the govt. forcing them down your throat too?
View Quote
No, They walk in and push it through an IV before even explaining what can happen
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is all I got.  But “rare” as you call it in this study is 0.0003 percent of people experienced addiction.  I have no more arguing to do.
View Quote
So you were just spouting off incorrect nonsense then?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
State governments just looking for another cash cow instead of addressing their budgets.  It was the government that approved and regulated this stuff.  Just like with cigarettes, it is basically extortion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, They walk in and push it through an IV before even explaining what can happen
View Quote
Please explain to us what happens with an IV push of fentanyl, oh wise one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nowhere is "non-addictive " in that article. It says that addiction of three types of drugs were rare in hospitals. Rare--not non addictive--and yes, it has a valid point.

You have repeatedly said that these meds were marketed as "non-addictive."  Now show me that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@NavyDoc1

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198001103020221

This was the “evidence” that was used to promote the drugs as non addictive.

That’s all I got.  But it was enough to get docs to prescribe them and patients to take them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  It is a wonderful peri-operative drug that is much easier to titrate than morphine due to rapid metabolism. It is a great drug when not misused just like...wait for it...the AR15 is a great gun when not misused.  
View Quote
We can professionally disagree. The morphine epidemic cant even hold a candle to fentanyl. Its a multifaceted problem that starts with the design of the drug. The expedited metabolism is a perfect example
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't want to waste a lot of time on yet another opioid thread with misinformation and people who want something banned because they don't like that people can get high with it.

I will say that this decision is very bad. More government in healthcare is bad. Less options in healthcare are bad. More expensive expensive medications in healthcare are also bad.

The war on drugs is stupid, the war on opioids in idiotic. And I'm out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
total bullshit. J+J Never told MD's to overprescribe, total fucking horseshit. Most Dr's aren't even visited by reps from narcotic companies. They were prescribing according to tradition learned from the "PDR".The bible that docs use when deciding which and how much of a med to give to patients. It wasn't the everyday average MD causing the issue, it was the fucking crooked fucks(who were usually foreigners, but not always) who sold their souls and the narcotics.J+J did not convince ANYONE to overprescribe. No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain. IT is corrupt judges on the take from attorneys who came up with this judgment only to split the money they steal from J+J.So I hope no one is happy here because maybe the next time you need aspirin it may not be available because j+J is gone
View Quote
Agreed.

If I had a dollar for every scumbag doc overprescribing, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance fraud all attributed to opioids I’d be rich. Pharma is always the big scary monster to blame like big oil. Had a pain doc client who would travel to multiple clinics in the state. On the day he would come into the town where I usually would see his staff or him the “patients” would be jam packed in the parking lot hours before his arrival. All hanging out. Smoking cigarette after cigarette. Obese. Dirty. Nasty dirty Inkies. The Feds indicted and convicted him on 22 counts. Did he abuse these people. Yes. Did I feel sorry for them? No. They were addicts and as soon as he went to jail they were already doctor shopping for the next scum bag doc who would do the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Uhhh, I am.

Virtually every adult I'm related to or currently associate with has been prescribed "opiod" painkillers at some point in their life, and somehow they've ALL  managed to use them in a medically responsible manner and not go shopping around for more afterwards.

We must be some pack of warlocks to have such powers.

Oh wait; maybe we're just not a bunch of junkie shitbags who were already hard at work getting blasted on street drugs before we were prescribed medical painkillers.
View Quote
But, but.....but your average soccer mom can take just one pill and be addicted for life!  That's why it's an Opioid Crisis.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That’s all I got.  But it was enough to get docs to prescribe them and patients to take them.
View Quote
No it wasn't. It was a single study that didn't even mentioned the drugs in question.

And you said, specifically, that these drugs were marketed by the drug companies as non addictive.  I've yet to see any evidence of that marketing campaign.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Please explain to us what happens with an IV push of fentanyl, oh wise one.
View Quote
Now you just are being insulting
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guess the people can buy their pain meds off the street now, it's a bit harder to sue the street corner pill pusher.
View Quote
That's exactly what is fueling the ODs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Doesn’t this set a president for gun manufacturers.?
View Quote
HELL YES IT DOES!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We can professionally disagree. The morphine epidemic cant even hold a candle to fentanyl. Its a multifaceted problem that starts with the design of the drug. The expedited metabolism is a perfect example
View Quote
"Professionally?" What profession would that be?

The rapid metabolism makes it less addictive if you remember the pharmacology and physiology classes you took when you got your PhD or MD.  You've got one of those yes? Shorter receptor binding time means less changes in the expression of the receptors in question.  Rapid onset and offset means easier titration that equals better analgesia without overdose and overall use of less medication.

The only reason why you see fentanyl in illegal junk is not because of some magical and imaginary addictive design but rather it is so stronger than morphine that one can cut much more doses of drug without having to smuggle the bulk of heroin. When one gram of fentanyl can be cut into a thousand hits of "heroin" , the profit motive is quite clear.

This however, is, like gun crime, entirely due to criminal misuse of a very useful tool, not a flaw in the tool itself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Agreed.

If I had a dollar for every scumbag doc overprescribing, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance fraud all attributed to opioids I'd be rich. Pharma is always the big scary monster to blame like big oil. Had a pain doc client who would travel to multiple clinics in the state. On the day he would come into the town where I usually would see his staff or him the "patients" would be jam packed in the parking lot hours before his arrival. All hanging out. Smoking cigarette after cigarette. Obese. Dirty. Nasty dirty Inkies. The Feds indicted and convicted him on 22 counts. Did he abuse these people. Yes. Did I feel sorry for them? No. They were addicts and as soon as he went to jail they were already doctor shopping for the next scum bag doc who would do the same thing.
View Quote
Which, oddly enough, if done in the right setting could have actually reduced the subject group of addicts' addictions.

A psychiatrist in Liverpool UK named John Marks came up with a novel way to treat drug addicts in the 90s.
Instead of prosecution, or attempting to ramp them down with their dosage, or put them on suboxone, methadone etc, he just prescribed for them an ongoing dose of each addict's drug of choice, up to and including heroin.

His intent was helping the addicts to live otherwise healthy lives* and stay out of the criminal justice system, the thinking being that drug abuse is a health issue, not a criminal issue (gee novel concept, right?).

Remember this was in the UK.  What happened?  The US government pressured the UK to cease this project, but the UK did allow it to go on for some time.

The results of this project were absolutely successful.  His patients who were in his "heroin maintenance" group, for whom he prescribed it, didn't suffer from all the diseases (HIV, Hep C, etc) that street drugs and dirty needles pass.  There were far fewer overdoses and deaths, because the drugs they used were of precise dosage and unadulterated with bullshit that the cartels stuff in.  The patients didn't commit crimes, simply because there was no reason to do so - the drug was readily available.

These addicts had jobs, were healthy, and had intact families that weren't broken by a loved one being on the street or in prison.  You know..like many families where a far more dangerous drug is being abused (alcohol).  We've all heard the term "functional alcoholic."

Get this though - over time addiction rates actually decreased.  Giving the addicts heroin didn't make them consume more of it, nor did more people decide to start taking it.  In other words, this study did what the war on drugs couldn't:  it stopped the spread of abuse and new usage of heroin.

Why did this happen?  Well true drug addicts are overcome and obsessed with getting their next fix, and with anxiety about that.  It takes up a large part of the time and emotional energy in their lives, not to mention commingling with shady people and an ever-present fear of prosecution.

The project removed that element from their lives.  The addicts got their drugs in the morning and spent their lives with their families or at their jobs.  You know, just like the majority of addicts before 1930 when laudanum was legal and over the counter.

When the fulfillment of their now much more normal lives began to bear fruit, many of the addicts were inspired to start removing the drugs from their lives.

Each year, 5 percent of the heroin addicts in that group quit using heroin  all on their own.  No methadone, no rehab center, they just quit.  This rate of success is unprecedented.

Alas, with increased pressure by the US on the UK government, the project was shut down.

Within 24 months, 25 of his patients were dead.

The rest were all back on the streets or in prison.

A similar study was done by the Swiss after Marks' study with 1,000 addicts.
800 were prescribed heroin, 100 prescribed methadone, 100 morphine.
After 3 years, crime among the addicts dropped 60 percent.
Half of the previously unemployed had found jobs.
A third who had been on welfare were self-supporting and none of them were homeless.
83 patients  on their own  gave up heroin.

The only thing US drug policy does is provide an opening for cartels  our laws and practices actively promote them  they are good businesspeople and they won't let an opportunity to sell product go unanswered.  So here we are, with contaminated drugs on the street, all in the name of our puritanical crusade against drugs.

There's so much misinformation out there that at one point, the fucking DARE program had to be overhauled because a study showed it was actually increasing the rates of adolescent drug use.

* This was a common thing in the 30s and 40s, lots of laudanum addicts out there held steady jobs and had families and houses.  They were addicts, sure.  But their quality of life, and the lives of those around them didn't revolve around a ghetto criminal element.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Now you just are being insulting
View Quote
No. You seems to be so certain of the malfeasance of thousands of anesthesiologists who have used fentanyl without problem for decades--after all, it has been around since 1959 and used regularly in the OR since the 1960's.   You make these wild declarations, specifically mentioning something about the evils of docs pushing it. Show your work. How and why is it more addictive than any other opiate?  What receptor activity is different?  Can you name the opiate receptors?  Why after 40 years of common use, is it suddenly a problem? Did is magically suddenly become more addictive today than it was in 1959 or perhaps you just think it's new because you, not having that level of practice, just heard about it with the "crisis?"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be pussy, my friend.  I've been given fentanyl in the hospital.  No addictive effect on me at all - it was nice, but that's about it.

Now pussy on the other hand, yeah man we've all done some really crazy shit for pussy.  It definitely makes me lose my ability to control myself or make good decisions.  I guess you might say I'm addicted to it.  I'm a (somewhat) functional pussy addict for now, until my preoccupation for it makes me neglect other important areas of my life.....oh wait....fuck.  

I sure hope the government doesn't schedule it, because that would be.....bad.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Professionally?" What profession would that be?

The rapid metabolism makes it less addictive if you remember the pharmacology and physiology classes you took when you got your PhD or MD.  You've got one of those yes? Shorter receptor binding time means less changes in the expression of the receptors in question.  Rapid onset and offset means easier titration that equals better analgesia without overdose and overall use of less medication.

The only reason why you see fentanyl in illegal junk is not because of some magical and imaginary addictive design but rather it is so stronger than morphine that one can cut much more doses of drug without having to smuggle the bulk of heroin. When one gram of fentanyl can be cut into a thousand hits of "heroin" , the profit motive is quite clear.

This however, is, like gun crime, entirely due to criminal misuse of a very useful tool, not a flaw in the tool itself.
View Quote
No I am not a doctor. I see you feel your level of education makes everyone else in the medical field incorrect, misguided or somehow less informed. However I appreciate your insight. Maybe you can tone it down and participate in the conversation with us cretins . We get you are a doctor. But attempting to interact with people by insulting them wont get you very far . Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#36]
It was horrible watching my wife in agony from her botched surgery having to jump through hoops trying to get relief as the doctors here are terrified of prescribing. One Dr even told us that her brother with chronic back pain supplemented what opiods he could get with alcohol and that my wife might consider that. It was unreal and was bad enough that I as a retired cop had the thought of obtaining from other sources cross my mind, which is a fucked up situation to be in. After many weeks of taking her to a Dr every 3 days to get another prescription she was able to get into a pain management clinic. Made a huge difference and over time they stepped her dosage down as it should be without making a patient go cold turkey. Some of the problem could be resolved with streamlining the process to get into a clinic quicker instead of waiting months to establish chronic pain. Her clinic had frequent urinalysis for other drug usage and random pill counts. Any violation of the plan of treatment gets one booted out. They assumed every patient on those drugs would have developed a dependency and worked to get them down to a drug free state if possible. Cutting off truly injured patients will make them go outside and take God knows what into their bodies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No I am not a doctor. I see you feel your level of education makes everyone else in the medical field incorrect, misguided or somehow less informed. However I appreciate your insight. Maybe you can tone it down and participate in the conversation with us cretins . We get you are a doctor. But attempting to interact with people by insulting them wont get you very far . Thanks
View Quote
Perhaps you could start out with dropping the whole "evil doctor conspiracy" shit and docs would not give you a rash back.  That is one of  my pet peeves. Medical conversations here can be just as annoying as gun conversations on facebook.  People don't know anything about guns other than what they are fed on the media and around their friends but they just "know" everything. Same here. When one hears nonsense just as bad as "shoulder thing that goes up" level of ignorance and hysteria, it really grates on the ears.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That would be pussy, my friend.  I've been given fentanyl in the hospital.  No addictive effect on me at all - it was nice, but that's about it.

Now pussy on the other hand, yeah man we've all done some really crazy shit for pussy.  It definitely makes me lose my ability to control myself or make good decisions.  I guess you might say I'm addicted to it.  I'm a (somewhat) functional pussy addict for now, until my preoccupation for it makes me neglect other important areas of my life.....oh wait....fuck.  

I sure hope the government doesn't schedule it, because that would be.....bad.  
View Quote
Agree with many people having no issue with narcotics. I think there are many drugs that can be given prior to fentanyl to do the same thing. powerful narcotics should be given with caution. In the past few years early use of specifically fentanyl for almost all complaints was the standard in EMS here. Maybe it is regional. Im telling you from my own insight that the first "issue" was poor management of pain, fentanyl then gained popularity in the Emergency Room and EMS and then we have a massive problem much larger than the already present problem with narcotics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
All narcotics should be given carefully but there really is  no difference in strength between 25mcg of IV fentanyl and 2mg IV morphine. They are equal analgesic doses. The advantage is that fentanyl is faster on and faster off so in the ER it would be a better choice for a bandage change or a closed reduction of a broken or dislocated limb, for example.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
I respectfully disagree with anybody who thinks this is a good thing.

Anyone who thinks this is a good thing take a moment and think that this is another step towards removing personal responsibility and creating a "victim" mentality in this country. It's not the person who let themselves get addicted who is to blame, it's the evil company that created it. Let's get .gov involved and they'll make it all better.

Just enabling junkies to get all the free shit in the world at the taxpayer expense. They've all got excuse after excuse and do it over and over again..... and society enables if not outright encourages it. Tell me you don't see it every day in your line of work?

Oh and guess what else this sets up for people to go after the manufacturer on........

This isn't good
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Perhaps you could start out with dropping the whole "evil doctor conspiracy" shit and docs would not give you a rash back.  That is one of  my pet peeves. Medical conversations here can be just as annoying as gun conversations on facebook.  People don't know anything about guns other than what they are fed on the media and around their friends but they just "know" everything. Same here. When one hears nonsense just as bad as "shoulder thing that goes up" level of ignorance and hysteria, it really grates on the ears.
View Quote
Which is why I am saying that the people who produce the drug and literature are more responsible than any doctor that write a script or orders the administration. Pain clinic doctors here being shut down caused an increase in demand for heroin.Now thats an evil doctor conspiracy
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Concur.   The "crisis" is bull shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
total bullshit. J+J Never told MD's to overprescribe, total fucking horseshit. Most Dr's aren't even visited by reps from narcotic companies. They were prescribing according to tradition learned from the "PDR".The bible that docs use when deciding which and how much of a med to give to patients. It wasn't the everyday average MD causing the issue, it was the fucking crooked fucks(who were usually foreigners, but not always) who sold their souls and the narcotics.J+J did not convince ANYONE to overprescribe. No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain. IT is corrupt judges on the take from attorneys who came up with this judgment only to split the money they steal from J+J.So I hope no one is happy here because maybe the next time you need aspirin it may not be available because j+J is gone
Concur.   The "crisis" is bull shit.
There is a cabal of attorneys that are constantly planning lawsuits at this level, they just have to find the right states at the right time with the right big pockets...mike Moore and his cronies come to mind

Mr. Moore said he isn’t pursuing the opioid litigation as “a money grab.” He said he is spending a lot of time advising on cases in which he has no financial stake because he wants to share his expertise to bring about a resolution. A young relative’s struggles with addiction also motivated him, he said.

“I want there to be a huge amount of resources available for treatment, and I want the industry to change its practices,” he said.

There is money to be had. Opioid painkillers are a $9 billion-a-year market in the U.S., and pharmaceutical companies have earned many billions from their sale.

Mr. Moore has been crisscrossing the country to meet with what he calls a coalition of two dozen lawyers to coordinate arguments and work with government lawyers. He has been reaching out to some state attorneys general and fielding calls from others.

How much money did cronies make....

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/great-tobacco-robbery-lawyers-grab-billions
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No it wasn't. It was a single study that didn't even mentioned the drugs in question.

And you said, specifically, that these drugs were marketed by the drug companies as non addictive.  I've yet to see any evidence of that marketing campaign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, according to my friend, who shared it with me and just graduated from pharmacy school, that little editorial WAS used by the drug companies to tout their drugs as non [rarely, as you like to call it, 0.0003%] addictive.  Sorry, I don’t have the actual marketing documents.  I’m speaking in good faith, to the best of my knowledge, unsure of why you’re so hostile.  How are you so certain that study wasn’t used in the manner I’ve been told it was?  I know you can’t prove a negative but why are you so vehement in your belief it wasn’t?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
An Oklahoma judge on Monday ruled against Johnson & Johnson in the Oklahoma opioid trial.

J&J said it's going to appeal the decision.

The fine was significantly less than the penalties sought by Oklahoma, sending J&J's stock up by more than 5% in post-market trading after the verdict was read.

An Oklahoma judge on Monday ruled against Johnson & Johnson in the state's opioid trial, forcing the company to pay $572 million in the first ruling in the U.S. holding a drugmaker accountable for helping fuel the epidemic.

Calling the opioid crisis an "imminent danger and menace," District Judge Thad Balkman said "the state met its burden that the defendants Janssen and Johnson & Johnson's misleading marketing and promotion of opioids created a nuisance as defined by [the law]", including a finding that those actions compromised the health and safety of thousands of Oklahomans.

"Specifically, defendants caused an opioid crisis that's evidenced by increased rates of addiction, overdose deaths and neonatal abstinence syndrome," he added.

The ruling, which J&J intends to appeal, says that J&J and subsidiary Janssen repeatedly downplayed the risks of addiction to opioids, training sales representatives to tell doctors the risk was 2.6% or less if the drugs were prescribed by a doctor. Doctors who prescribed a high amount of opioids were targeted as "key customers."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/26/judge-rules-against-johnson-johnson-in-landmark-opioid-case-in-oklahoma.html
View Quote
Everyone's favorite talking head on Fox (Gerraldo) commented that many didn't understand the nature of the lawsuit.   He stated that the $572mil award was just for year one of 20 alleged years of bad conduct.  He expects that once the total of all years in Oklahoma are counted, the awards will total more than $20billion.   Watch the stock price tomorrow and Wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Which is why I am saying that the people who produce the drug and literature are more responsible than any doctor that write a script or orders the administration. Pain clinic doctors here being shut down caused an increase in demand for heroin.
View Quote
What I am saying is that a drug that has been around for 60 years, nobody is ignorant of it's effects. People try to assign blame where it logically does not exist--exactly like the blame laid at the feet of gun manufacturers by the left.   What culpability can you find for a manufacturer of fentanyl?

Also bear in mind that all of this black market fentanyl is manufactured in China so I can't see Pfizer being blamed for a single microgram of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Doesn't this set a president for gun manufacturers.?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.
Not good. Terrible decision. Abhorrent.

Let me guess: "big corporations bad!"
No, no, it's great. Who needs personal responsibility? It's all the manufacturer's fault!
Doesn't this set a president for gun manufacturers.?
Same wondering here
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What I am saying is that a drug that has been around for 60 years, nobody is ignorant of it's effects. People try to assign blame where it logically does not exist--exactly like the blame laid at the feet of gun manufacturers by the left.   What culpability can you find for a manufacturer of fentanyl?

Also bear in mind that all of this black market fentanyl is manufactured in China so I can't see Pfizer being blamed for a single microgram of it.S
View Quote
Yea street fentanyl is a different animal. Im more concerned with the people that begin the path of addiction at a visit to an ER or an office. More hesitation to administer I feel would go a long way. The way I see it is that the demand for narcotic management of pain has always been too high and J and J met that demand with a better hammer.  I mean "Better" by more dangerous , more habit forming and never pausing to ask why all of the sudden they saw a major increase in demand and if they had as obligation as a producer to limit production or access
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, according to my friend, who shared it with me and just graduated from pharmacy school, that little editorial WAS used by the drug companies to tout their drugs as non [rarely, as you like to call it, 0.0003%] addictive.  Sorry, I don’t have the actual marketing documents.  I’m speaking in good faith, to the best of my knowledge, unsure of why you’re so hostile.  How are you so certain that study wasn’t used in the manner I’ve been told it was?  I know you can’t prove a negative but why are you so vehement in your belief it wasn’t?
View Quote
Because I keep hearing this lie over and over again but, 23 years in medicine and I have never heard such a claim in real life once.  Not in person. Not in the literature. Not in the texts. Not in a lecture.  Your friend just graduated from pharmacy school? Just now? LOL. Perhaps he is simply repeating crap he heard?

Hostile? More like frustrated. You ever get frustrated when people you know repeat anti-gun lies like gospel? Same stuff with medicine.  Like those people deluded by anti-gun propaganda, people deluded by "evil pharma" propaganda will vote for idiots who will make it harder for real people with real problems to get the help they need. We are already seeing the "unintended consequences" with cancer patients, trauma/burn patients, failed surgery patients, having less and less access to medications and providers willing to risk writing them.

All because people repeat false crap they here--well, that's an exaggeration. There is a lot more than that to it.  It's just one facet of the problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yea street fentanyl is a different animal. Im more concerned with the people that begin the path of addiction at a visit to an ER or an office. More hesitation to administer I feel would go a long way. The way I see it is that the demand for narcotic management of pain has always been too high and J and J met that demand with a better hammer.  I mean "Better" by more dangerous , more habit forming and never pausing to ask why all of the sudden they saw a major increase in demand and if they had as obligation as a producer to limit production or access
View Quote
And I've yet to see any evidence of "more habit forming."  All opiates carry the risk of addiction and we've known this since the civil war.  Fentanyl is a good and useful drug and it has been around for almost 60 years.

The sudden surge in fentanyl is due to the lack of real heroin so this fake heroin is manufactured by using fenanly and no, those junkies are not junkies because they got a single hit in the ER.

Why is drug abuse in general on the rise? In spite of the WOD? Most likely due to the moral decline of the society. No law is going to change that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#50]
The Dow Corning bankruptcy scam will be reborn by J&J.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top