Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you’re a hell of an older brother
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's 25
As far as personality, he is fairly laid back but is low key really into the high speed/low drag thing. He joined into the army on an 18x contract at 21yo and has been working towards this for since then. Between injuries that had him get recycled back, he passed on some really cool opportunities, to stay on track and finish Q Course
View Quote
So maybe a customized decanter? Someone already posted a custom knife; useful and very cool to show to friends.

Congrats to him!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Randall model 26 of a buddy that got it as a present from his parents as a present for graduating the Q course.

He liked to fish and not hunt. Didn’t need the knife.

With that in mind pick out something that he likes to do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Not something military related is always nice.  You get enough mil in the mil in my experience.

A nice firearm of some kind.  Got my friend a nice engraved O/U shotgun, i think it landed well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

SFQC graduate gift suggestions

Knife- Gerber MkII good luck charm (Non-serated blade model).....I've carried one on every combat deployment since 1991 and I'm still alive....

Watch - a nice Seiko....carried one on every deployment since 1994...didn't wear in 2002..got wounded!  Should have worn that damn watch on that day!

Pistol..browning high power...nothing says old school SF classy like a P-35 BHP.  I've still go mine from my Team's 1999 group purchase...thank you Browning firearms in Utah for making that affordable and with 12 consecutive SN's.  After 911, a lot of the Team's took advantage of the inexpensive engraving offered by SIG and bought P-226's with SF crest and call signs, but I still like the old school BHP.

Others - 1K US saving's bond.

Disclaimer...I'm not a Navy SEAL, nor did I write any cool books, however for a very brief time I was my younger brother's (18A) Team Sergeant (18Z50)...how cool and confusing was that!

When he left the nest for his first first combat tour, I gave him my lucky 1987 vintage Gerber MkII as a good luck charm...He's still alive..so there is that!
View Quote
That's really cool!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A tab. That's what you got. It's supposed to keep you warm...or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't he already get one?
I'm a SEAL not SF, but I thought they did too.  Maybe one of our Army SF brethren will chime in.  I didn't get shit when I graduated BUD/S or SQT....
The only thing you got back in the 90's after graduating the SFQC was a Long Tab, a Green Beret, and a free trip to Language school (????????????, ???????, ? ??????, ????? ???????????? ?? ????? ????????? ???????????!)

I too was told this long Tab would keep you warmer than the short Tab...total bullshit!  The Tab combo did get me some extra quality soak time in the people's pond!  Fuck was that cold and miserable!

18Z50....Nowhere as cool as Mrs 18B30 who is actually a 62A with the same rank as my brother, which make for interesting e-mail confusion on the Global....
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Seiko automatic dive watch like a SKX007 or better yet a SRP777 is a solid rec. Instant cred with older team guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only thing you got back in the 90's after graduating the SFQC was a Long Tab, a Green Beret, and a free trip to Language school (????????????, ???????, ? ??????, ????? ???????????? ?? ????? ????????? ???????????!)

I too was told this long Tab would keep you warmer than the short Tab...total bullshit!  The Tab combo did get me some extra quality soak time in the people's pond!  Fuck was that cold and miserable!

18Z50....Nowhere as cool as Mrs 18B30 who is actually a 62A with the same rank as my brother, which make for interesting e-mail confusion on the Global....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't he already get one?
I'm a SEAL not SF, but I thought they did too.  Maybe one of our Army SF brethren will chime in.  I didn't get shit when I graduated BUD/S or SQT....

I wanted Russian at that point. Had to learn in situ and through a long-haired dictionary brought back to the States, though. Was scheduled for Korean, but got out of it. There is a God, after all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got a MKII with wasp-waist blade with the cats tongue handle. sits in my gun safe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I gave him my lucky 1987 vintage Gerber MkII as a good luck charm...He's still alive..so there is that!
I've got a MKII with wasp-waist blade with the cats tongue handle. sits in my gun safe.  
I like the cut of your jib fine sir!

18Z50...Not a Combat Diver...because of sharks, fear of drowning, and the utter dread of cleaning kit that has been exposed to salt water...but I do own a copy of the 1990 classic NAVY SEALS movie!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say a 2-3 part gift pack for $500 of things he can really use, but will also cherish:

Deep Blue Tritium Dive Watch ($149 with code EDC):
https://www.deepbluewatches.com/dadipctrwast.html

Spyderco Military $180:
https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Military-Model-Plain-Knife/dp/B00378DQOO

Lanksy Knife Sharpener $18:
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Turn-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E/

Kindle Paperwhite $110 - for reading books on deployment:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075MWNNJG?ref=ODS_v2_FS_KINDLE_kindlepprwhite&th=1

Total = $457, and he'll get a ton of use out of all of them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
An EGA

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cleaning under your fingernails and cutting one inch tubular nylon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mean 90% of what you're using a knife for in the field is opening MRE's and cutting 550 cord.
Tell me about that other 10%.....
Cleaning under your fingernails and cutting one inch tubular nylon.
Not what I was envisioning or hoping for
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just get him a grill or something (after he moves!) for his house when he moves.
View Quote
This

Or this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Big Guy upstairs has a way of keeping me humble and able to laugh at myself.
View Quote
My mom used to tell me “take your job seriously, not yourself.”

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
An EGA

View Quote
He's SF, so there's a decent chance he already has one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently found an old canvas claymore bag with the old demo knife (I forget the nomenclature) in it. The bag cleaned up well and the knife is my next project.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Corn Hole boards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
It would be a bit more than your $500 "limit", but I vote for an Ed Brown Special Forces 1911. One sweet ass pistol fer sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
An early Model Gerber Mk II. Ebay usually has them.

jd1
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like the cut of your jib fine sir!

18Z50...Not a Combat Diver...because of sharks, fear of drowning, and the utter dread of cleaning kit that has been exposed to salt water...but I do own a copy of the 1990 classic NAVY SEALS movie!
View Quote
I was petrified of being eaten by a shark my whole 20 years. In 1st Phase during hydro recon we were shuffling down the beach with boats on our heads going to do a training mission very shortly after Hell Week.  Literally ran by a sea lion that had to be 300 pounds.  Had it's head bitten off and laying there on the beach as the sun was going down.  Fucking creepy as shit getting in the water that night.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was petrified of being eaten by a shark my whole 20 years. In 1st Phase during hydro recon we were shuffling down the beach with boats on our heads going to do a training mission.  Literally ran by a sea lion hat had to be 300 pounds.  Had it's head bitten off and laying there on the beach as the sun was going down.  Fucking creepy as shit getting in the water that night.
View Quote
I punched an F-15 gearbox when my oily hand slipped during a IDG R&R.

So yep. I willingly concede.

I met a few of you guys in passing over the years. I have never been a "fanboy," but I have always respected you guys. Physically,  and especially mentally, I cannot say I have ever pushed myself that hard.

Mad props. TTYL.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#22]
On TOS I talked some with a SEAL who had a microtech that was issued to his team IIrc…..perhaps AZ5326X2 can weigh in if he's ever heard of something like that.   I saw a pic and it's seemed legit.   He was also vetted on TOS.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On TOS I talked some with a SEAL who had a microtech that was issued to his team IIrc…..perhaps AZ5326X2 can weigh in if he's ever heard of something like that.   I saw a pic and it's seemed legit.   He was also vetted on TOS.
View Quote
I've got several Microtech autos (one that I carry in my next career every day) but none of them were issued to me.  Each Team has discretionary income for Team members, but the only auto I was ever issued was an auto Benchmade when I was teaching at BUD/S.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My brother will be graduating from SF training in December, and I'd like to find something nice to give him as a gift. Needless to say it's a pretty significant occasion, and I could not be more proud of my little brother.

I was thinking about a higher end fixed blade knife, but figured you guys would be good to ask for ideas.
Probably looking to stay under $500, but that's not set in stone if someone has an idea that I think would be awesome

Thanks guys

Edit: If it has any impact on your recommendation, he will be graduating as an 18C, SF Engineer Sergeant
View Quote
I gave my brother a West German Sig P6 when he graduated.

He also picked up an nice knife from the school house, but I forgot the brand.

Congrats to your brother!
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've got several Microtech autos (one that I carry in my next career every day) but none of them were issued to me.  Each Team has discretionary income for Team members, but the only auto I was ever issued was an auto Benchmade when I was teaching at BUD/S.
View Quote
Sweet, thanks for the knowledge.

I'm gonna PM you a picture
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An EGA

Eagle, Globe, Anchor?

That's my best guess from google
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Anytime I finished a long training stint (not SF myself) I could have given a fuck about knives and tomahawks and bullshit that had to do with the army.

I wanted a shower and real food, hard liquor and to spend time with my family and friends. And of course get laid.

Take your brother out for a nice dinner, give him a good bottle of scotch and go hunting for poon with him. He’ll remember that more and need the support and memories when shit goes bad way more than any knife.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#29]
This below and something else ....NOT a fixed blade. For whatever reason people think thats a great idea. Nope. I have several friends who are those funny green beanie wearing people and one who lives here in the Valley with me who ended up with CAG. He literally has a drawer of fixed blades people have given him he has NEVER used.

LEATHERMAN - Super Tool 300 EOD Multitool with Firearm and EOD Tools for Technicians
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#30]
A nice Folding Knife, and Some custom boot insoles
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My brother will be graduating from SF training in December, and I'd like to find something nice to give him as a gift. Needless to say it's a pretty significant occasion, and I could not be more proud of my little brother.

I was thinking about a higher end fixed blade knife, but figured you guys would be good to ask for ideas.
Probably looking to stay under $500, but that's not set in stone if someone has an idea that I think would be awesome

Thanks guys

Edit: If it has any impact on your recommendation, he will be graduating as an 18C, SF Engineer Sergeant
View Quote

Seriously do the watch idea with the De Oppresso Liber crest.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anytime I finished a long training stint (not SF myself) I could have given a fuck about knives and tomahawks and bullshit that had to do with the army.

I wanted a shower and real food, hard liquor and to spend time with my family and friends. And of course get laid.

Take your brother out for a nice dinner, give him a good bottle of scotch and go hunting for poon with him. He’ll remember that more and need the support and memories when shit goes bad way more than any knife.
View Quote
He's married, but the food and drinks will definitely be happening
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This below and something else ....NOT a fixed blade. For whatever reason people think thats a great idea. Nope. I have several friends who are those funny green beanie wearing people and one who lives here in the Valley with me who ended up with CAG. He literally has a drawer of fixed blades people have given him he has NEVER used.

LEATHERMAN - Super Tool 300 EOD Multitool with Firearm and EOD Tools for Technicians
View Quote
He doesn't do folders, even when doing non military stuff. It takes him approximately 87 seconds to forget what he did with it

That multi tool is interesting, I imagine especially for an military engineer
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys

Was there one with that crest that I missed in this thread? The Seiko SRP777 mentioned earlier looks good, but I expect that the back plate is already occupied, so I wouldn't be able to have it engraved
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think hookers and blow is the current trend in the specop world.
View Quote
Damn, lots of guys on this site are damn near delta force level then
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A nice 1911
View Quote
Bro, he said "Special Forces", not "Special Ed. Forces."  lol

A nice Microtech would be cool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Get him the pistol he should be using, a Glock 19X.
Maybe get him a personal Sig 320 so his muscle memory will kick in if he ever has to use it for life protection.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Was there one with that crest that I missed in this thread? The Seiko SRP777 mentioned earlier looks good, but I expect that the back plate is already occupied, so I wouldn't be able to have it engraved
View Quote
You can get a sterile caseback and have it engraved. Honestly I think this is better than a super bling dial with the DOL regt crest. He might want to wear the watch traveling and something with the crest on dial would prob get left at home - too much attention when in civies. I just mention this because I wear my SRP777 traveling all the time. Typical SF guy wont wear anything that labels him SF in airports etc, we leave that to the SEALs, crayon eaters, and reg army Joes ha. God bless them all.

Sterile caseback

Mine in the wild:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Something cool in his second language.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#42]
He and the wife may want nothing more than some alone time.

Not disagreeing with the watch, but maybe a very long weekend at a hotel in an area they both love.  Call the manager to arrange things and spring for champagne and a pair of those pouches that block all cell signals to be brought up to the room.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Big Guy upstairs has a way of keeping me humble and able to laugh at myself.
View Quote
Next time you are in the Memphis area bbq and beer is on me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m literally late to this party
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’m literally late to this party
View Quote
Throw some ides out there for him Carmel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

An officer I know who was MAC(V)SOG (and in the Ranger Hall of Fame for his actions) once told me the only time anybody he knew made a kill with a knife, it was purely for bragging rights, they used suppressed weapons for quiet kills.
View Quote
It’s rare but it still happens, some Salvadoran in Iraq was awarded a US BSM with V for fighting with a knife https://archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=24843
Medal of Honor Recipient David Bellavia On Selfless Sacrifice
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
6920 or a nice gaming PC
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top