BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tsd1:
Ever see a Filipino looking guy, with a stick and a knife...run the other way as fast as you can.  Escrima/Arnis/Kali extremely effective at close quarters combat.
View Quote

Hell yeah. All my friends used to come to school bruised the fuck up from getting beat with sticks at escrima classes.

I also used to trade taco bell burritos for lumpia and pancit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hawktheslayer:

Polearms are NOT melee weapons.  Read the OP's post.  He said "hand-to-hand" weapons for multple threats.
Ask anyone who has trained in silat or kali about fighting with two blades or a stick and a knife, sword and dagger (espada y daga). 
It can be done quite easily and even beginners can become extremely proficient in it if you train for it.   The only REAL trouble you can have dual weilding
is if your weapons are too long; like trying to use two long swords or broadswords.  They'll inevitably get tangled up and get you killed.  Very, very difficult to manage
two long blades in hand-to-hand combat.

Certainly a bladed spear like a partisan or a polearm like a ranseur or bec de corbin might be okay if you had your back covered and multiple dudes to form a line.
However, we're talking melee weapons, bro.  Multiple attackers.  For multiple attackers, you need to be able to engage, disengage, vary your angle of attacks
and quickly movie to crowd your attackers and act/react within fractions of a second.  Even then, it's no guarantee.  
While spears have their place, in such close quarters, you're better off with short blades/hammer/shield combo.

It's BO staff, not BOW staff.  And bo staffs will get you fucking killed in a group with multiple attackers.  The first person you poke might take a hit, but before you can withdraw and re-engage
it's getting snatched up by one of your attackers.  It's far too long to manage in close quarters with multiple attackers.  Sure, you can spin it like a dumbass in a kung-fu movie, but the minute your 
hit somebody, it's speed and energy transfer takes place.  You're vulnerable for LONG seconds with a long stick that's easy to take away from you.  Especially with multiple attackers.  OP was talking
"hand-to-hand" range.  Bo staffs are shit for that.
View Quote

the level of wrong in this post is impressive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:
Ribbed dildo
View Quote

glass dildo
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

Before I could buy a handgun I kept a claw hammer under the front seat of the truck.

One time a homeless guy came running up to me and my spidey sense said "clear leather" so I pulled out the claw hammer, I have never seen somebody backpedal and change directions so fast in my life.

Somebody shop this into the "AR-15 accessories" making fun of the media 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TX_M1:
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Hammer 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rWHqVOPdMw

Before I could buy a handgun I kept a claw hammer under the front seat of the truck.

One time a homeless guy came running up to me and my spidey sense said "clear leather" so I pulled out the claw hammer, I have never seen somebody backpedal and change directions so fast in my life.

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
Oh man, how about the Bat-chete?  $104 on Amazon! All the impact force of a baseball bat with the cutting and slashing ability of a machete without the danger of overpenetration and loding in bone!
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91qkbdZu11L._SL1500_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81-y7iJ5PpL._SL1500_.jpg

Somebody shop this into the "AR-15 accessories" making fun of the media 

Before I was able to get a carry permit, I kept a 22 oz Estwing framer on a nail bag within easy reach behind my driver's seat. It was an actual tool I was using at that time. Never had to use it defensively, but it would make a formidable weapon at the end of a stout arm used to using it for hours a day. I had one of those, too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If it must be deadly force, and I want someone to train me who either had to use it in earnest, or who was trained by someone who had to use it in earnest (I could care less about the idiot "it's secret" thing):

The Master of a Secret Machete Martial Art

Preferably with something to function as a shield/blocker/basher off hand. I honestly expect the science and art of using the machete in actual earnest is one of the last few truly "Live" arts for longer blades still around.  Variants known to exist through the carribean and south america, I expect there are relatives in africa.

A step down: Lead shot filled tire knocker sticks.

For less than lethal but "I wish you had just killed me dude" a sjambok.

For the obvious but people don't usually look at it as a weapon, something like this: https://kingfisherwoodworks.com/products/self-defense-cane

Surprised nobody has said quarterstaff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Three sectioned staff.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978) - Three Section Staff

4:36
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
A pole arm is slow and heavy and if one opponent grabs it, the others can rush you.  A bat might be a good option exept what if one of your opponents decides to absorb an impact and grab the bat?  Same problem as before. I would want something fast and nimble.  A short sword or long knife gives you cut and thrust potential.  Sounds good to me.  My choice.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Vr4jkR9sk.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

If there's anything I learned from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video game, the Bo Staff is too slow against multiple opponents. 

Also, Tsais and nunchucks lack range.

A katana is just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Vr4jkR9sk.

That's the one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
This may not be high tech, but it's light and fast.

And I like making my own toys.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Three sectioned staff.
View Quote
Those are so cool.  Looks crazy difficult to learn how to use it effectively.
Master Leon Zhang's 3 Section Staff

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Frag grenade
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
A roofing hammer is an excellent short range weapon. A tire iron works in a pinch. It's kind of hard to explain why you have swords or baseball bats wrapped with barbed wire in your car.
View Quote

Saw a bar fight end when one of them slipped a tire iron from his belt. 70s vintage size iron, not the wussy kind now. Two whaps on the head and the other guy hit the floor. He lived, but he never woke as the EMTs checked and carted him off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By M-cameron:
keep it simple.....trench club in one hand
https://acc-cdn.azureedge.net/accnop420media/w_1_0008903_wwi-trench-mace.jpeg

dagger in the other
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1524/1342/products/AMU1920__03.jpg?v=1571454169

worked a treat for ww1 raiding parties....ought to work now
View Quote

these and armor
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#16]
No rule of law? Firearms prohibited for reasons? Khukuri.

Non-permissive environment? a weighted chain

That being said you guys make an excellent case for a hammer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, as long as your opponents know and do the same dance routine as you, you might have a chance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
A Naginata. 

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Scene gives me chills every time...
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By utb1528:
No rule of law? Firearms prohibited for reasons? Khukuri. 

Non-permissive environment? a weighted chain

That being said you guys make an excellent case for a hammer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179363/Screenshot_2020-05-11_Shree_5_Chirra__Ge-1410743.JPG
View Quote

Yup.  Plenty of reasons to have a regular or ball peen hammer handy.  They'd crush the hell out of bone in a hurry too.  Personally, as I'm high drag and extremely low speed, my choice is to unass the area in a hurry because I'm fairly fucked otherwise.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Planet Terror machine gun leg.

Planet Terror gun leg - Edit

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Spear

or any polearm for that matter.

Having made one I can tell you its super easy to use and pretty difficult to defend against without armor or a shield.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Black jack or sap with a strap so it would be tough to take away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#24]
For crazy shit you wouldn't want to mess with, I argue the Urumi and the Scissor would both fit.

The Urumi is basically a whip.  Except it is a retardedly flexible and sharp sword or swords.  Yeah, you're fucking Edward Scissorhands with it.
On the other hand (literally) is the gladiator's scissor.  Pretty much a metal glove you put your hand in and had a crescent shaped blade on the end.  Punch, stab, rip, and tear.

Barring that, I vote for the Bagger 288.  Because who is going to fuck with someone who can pull out 13,500 tons of badassery out of nowhere.  Nobody, that's who.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:31:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:54:53 AM EDT
[#26]
The first guy to come at you would probably work.

Beat the other motherfuckers with a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#27]

honestly ide rather a pipe over a collapsible baton for an extended fight.....ive bent more than a couple batons in training, they arent the most durable of tools.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UTCenturion:
collapsible baton. you take one wack to the head with one you are dead.

honestly ide rather a pipe over a collapsible baton for an extended fight.....ive bent more than a couple batons in training, they arent the most durable of tools.

Bonowi is the brand you seek.  German TUV approved.  Felony to carry in CA.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Spetsnaz shovel....

Go on...

Cold Steel version.  Every contractor used to know you sharpen the edge of shovel to make it work better.  I used to keep one in my car in CA but I could be pretty loose with laws there given my being in Army when there.

Trench Club from Battlefield 1 - MAN AT ARMS feat. Danny Trejo  on Youtube looks pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#28]
A good garden hoe can be used with the metal blade portion nearest you, jabbing at the oncoming, and once you've jabbed them in the jaw flip it around and split

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd take a spadroon.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
All you guys are wrong. Perfect weapon for this application is a motherfucker. Effectiveness of the motherfucker at close range is devastating. Also if someone gets outside motherfucker range, you can THROW the motherfucker and still achieve sizeable damage.

Never underestimate the motherfucker in the hands of an amateur wielding the motherfucker.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Spear in combination with a knife.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If it must be deadly force, and I want someone to train me who either had to use it in earnest, or who was trained by someone who had to use it in earnest (I could care less about the idiot "it's secret" thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW4Ujfo0yD4

Preferably with something to function as a shield/blocker/basher off hand. I honestly expect the science and art of using the machete in actual earnest is one of the last few truly "Live" arts for longer blades still around.  Variants known to exist through the carribean and south america, I expect there are relatives in africa.

A step down: Lead shot filled tire knocker sticks.

For less than lethal but "I wish you had just killed me dude" a sjambok.

For the obvious but people don't usually look at it as a weapon, something like this: https://kingfisherwoodworks.com/products/self-defense-cane
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0045/6448/4170/products/[email protected]?v=1557928860

Surprised nobody has said quarterstaff.
View Quote

Actually it's a buck and a quarter staff. But, I'm not telling him that.

In all seriousness I'd go with a Narwhal horn.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#34]
keep it simple.....trench club in one hand
https://acc-cdn.azureedge.net/accnop420media/w_1_0008903_wwi-trench-mace.jpeg

dagger in the other
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1524/1342/products/AMU1920__03.jpg?v=1571454169

worked a treat for ww1 raiding parties....ought to work now
View Quote

"Ya want blunt force trauma, or sharp force trauma? Either way mate, yer gettin' traumatized!"
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
Glock 19
View Quote

CZ 75 SP-01 is all steel and much  heavier.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
Glock 19
View Quote

This, with a couple of extra magazines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Whatever you do, make sure to.....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FALFOX:

You might think so, but the truth is that hollow aluminum bats just do not have the mass to cause enough damage to stop someone. If you must use a bat or club, it should be made of wood or solid metal. Asps suffer the same issue - they're too lightweight, and while a skull strike will drop someone, a fighter smart enough to protect his head can easily step inside your range and put you down. Observe:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsteadyRashArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

The best melee weapons are going to be edged, and although I previously made a tongue-in-cheek reference to the staff or pole fighting in The Matrix, I'm going to have to give it to the katana.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALFOX:
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
That's why you use a short, small aluminum bat. They are highly underrated. A miss with a asp is still a wild miss.

You might think so, but the truth is that hollow aluminum bats just do not have the mass to cause enough damage to stop someone. If you must use a bat or club, it should be made of wood or solid metal. Asps suffer the same issue - they're too lightweight, and while a skull strike will drop someone, a fighter smart enough to protect his head can easily step inside your range and put you down. Observe:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsteadyRashArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

The best melee weapons are going to be edged, and although I previously made a tongue-in-cheek reference to the staff or pole fighting in The Matrix, I'm going to have to give it to the katana.

He's using a shitty little pipe or something, and homeboy has armor on his forearms.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#40]

That's why you use a short, small aluminum bat. They are highly underrated. A miss with a asp is still a wild miss.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDrifting:
I feel like an ASP baton would be way more efficient than a baseball bat. Between the length of the bat and the weight, you have a hard time pulling hits. If you put a lot behind a swing and miss you're fucked. 

something small  and agile yet strong as hell like the baton would be something I'd rather have.

Like I said before… T-Ball Bat. Perfect close quarters non-lethal blunt weapon. This one pictured is actually slightly longer than average. 20 bucks from Target.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Katana
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#42]
For hand to hand against multiple assailants?

A pistol. Possibly with a knife in the off-hand as a standoff device, using a modified Harries technique.

But definitely a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By blackghost:
Bo staff for less-lethal option, short spear if lethal force authorized.

Outside the box: chainsaw.  Nobody is going to try and rush in on you while you have that thing powered up.
View Quote

Underrated answer. A chainsaw is a relatively poor weapon, but the psychological impact is tremendous.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Just don’t cut yourself with it.  We’ve done a decent amount of training with them.  They can be horrific on your opponent and difficult to defend against.  I know people who carry them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By squirrel_herder:
Traditional double edged karambit.

Just don’t cut yourself with it.  We’ve done a decent amount of training with them.  They can be horrific on your opponent and difficult to defend against.  I know people who carry them.

They’re scary in the right hands, very much meant to accentuate more conventional martial arts. Though it’s better suited to “fighting inside a refrigerator” styles, hence why it’s great for wrestling on the fround with an opponent. Easy to modify traditional boxing with, and outstanding for contact shooting, works well as either a standoff, or for grappling.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By blackghost:
Bo staff for less-lethal option, short spear if lethal force authorized.

Outside the box: chainsaw.  Nobody is going to try and rush in on you while you have that thing powered up.
View Quote

Unless he's blind, and his name is Eli.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
A sock full of quarters....................
View Quote

But I threw out my back humping your mom last nigh. Snootch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Something I don’t think I’ve seen addressed is who exactly your opponents are? Antifa punks? Ain’t a one of them letting himself get hit to immobilize or slow your weapon long enough for the others to mob you. People with fighting skills who also won’t get in each other’s way when coming at you all at once? I’d say the weapon you need would be a brain that let you avoid the mob to begin with.

A war horse would be a cool weapon against a mob, he could rip faces off with his teeth, cave in chests and crush skulls with his hooves, and you could be standing in the stirrups with a polo hammer giving depressed skull fractures knowing he knows what to do on his own.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Khukri

3 dead, 8 wounded.

like a boss
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
Swords were kings of the battlefield for centuries as a defensive weapon.

Spear give you reach.
View Quote

Is that true? I was under the impression that swords were mostly fairy tale material and that most armed combat was with spears due to better reach, being easier to swing, and requiring way less metal to produce.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top