BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice avoidance maneuver.

Blocking spyware is the same as blocking ads, you are interfering with a revenue stream of a website.  Data mining and ads are the revenue these days, actually selling a product is a side benefit.  If you aren't a hypocrite, you're allowing all the spyware to be planted on your devices.

My opinion on spyware and ads has been consistent since the day the interwebs went GUI.  I have, and will, actively try and block attempts to plant spyware on my devices or place annoying crap in-my-face.  I don't block cookies on sites without spyware.  I don't block ads on sites without an excess of ads or annoying/ in-your-face ads.

As for supporting websites?  I have a paid membership on the websites I spend time on daily.  Guess what?  This is the only one of that handful of sites with ads for paid members.  And I still haven't blocked everything here, and still use the ads from time to time.  But I have blocked the active/ annoying content.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

"what about you? do YOU speed?"

what a classic response.  "I want to be right so you have to be as wrong as me as well"

Yeah, nah.  Nice try, though.

Nice avoidance maneuver.

Blocking spyware is the same as blocking ads, you are interfering with a revenue stream of a website.  Data mining and ads are the revenue these days, actually selling a product is a side benefit.  If you aren't a hypocrite, you're allowing all the spyware to be planted on your devices.

My opinion on spyware and ads has been consistent since the day the interwebs went GUI.  I have, and will, actively try and block attempts to plant spyware on my devices or place annoying crap in-my-face.  I don't block cookies on sites without spyware.  I don't block ads on sites without an excess of ads or annoying/ in-your-face ads.

As for supporting websites?  I have a paid membership on the websites I spend time on daily.  Guess what?  This is the only one of that handful of sites with ads for paid members.  And I still haven't blocked everything here, and still use the ads from time to time.  But I have blocked the active/ annoying content.

I used to not aggressively block ads.   Then ads became more annoying and I got a few that set off my AV software.    At that point I probably went overboard.  I block EVERYTHING ad related that I can and if something annoys me it's going to get blocked too.   If they want to serve up ads they need to limit the amount, the annoyance level, the audio level, and keep them absolutely free of malware.    If they can't do that then I reserve the right to filter my feed.   The whole ad community needs to clean up their act.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Last week I got the 3 video popup and had to disable AdBlock, but this week I turned it back on and the ads are being blocked again with no popup.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried everything including different browsers etc and eventually the YT BS always came back within a few days. Then I downloaded the Fadblock extention and the YT ads went away but then Fadblock started to pop up asking for a one time $5.95 fee.

I figured what the hell and paid them being it was working so well. Now 2 weeks later no more ads no more pop ups of any kind. I see a split second yellow bar at the bottom of the videos sometimes which are the ads that I never see. Not even noticeable.

One time $5.95 vs $14.00 a month for life to YT...I'll buy the fadblocker extention. But again the free version works fine to but you will get a few pop ups from them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I tried everything including different browsers etc and eventually the YT BS always came back within a few days. Then I downloaded the Fadblock extention and the YT ads went away but then Fadblock started to pop up asking for a one time $5.95 fee.

I figured what the hell and paid them being it was working so well. Now 2 weeks later no more ads no more pop ups of any kind. I see a split second yellow bar at the bottom of the videos sometimes which are the ads that I never see. Not even noticeable.

One time $5.95 vs $14.00 a month for life to YT...I'll buy the fadblocker extention. But again the free version works fine to but you will get a few pop ups from them.
View Quote

I know I'm an idiolist and this is probably absurd, but to me - I draw the line at someone else generating profit, by a gray system that defers the originator and/or host of the content, drawing profit.  Ok I'm not perfect. And that line is in pencil - the really hard lead that leaves just a faint line here, but kind of yea.  But to me, that's where I try to stop.

Also, I trust fadblocker developer as far as I can throw him.  His App snoops your shit and he alters the deal as time progresses.  What else is he going to alter and monetize?  Considering the nature of his revenue generating activities, ethics aren't his strong side - nor is sticking to the understood terms of the deal.    

I'd likely be more willing to fund guntuber Patron sites after thr youtube steal of all monitize; but between MAC'S begging shenanigans while able to fund his SVD shitshow, the iraq.vet1-whatever for-pay false reviews, and Karl -- f'it: I'm out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys realize that Fadblock is free. The $5.99 is not required.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Last week I got the 3 video popup and had to disable AdBlock, but this week I turned it back on and the ads are being blocked again with no popup.
View Quote

Interesting. I just tried watching a video on chrome using adblock and it worked. No popup, video played with no ads.
I have been using brave for the last 2-3 weeks, logged into my youtube account and have not had any issues.
Also on my work computer where I am not logged into any google account, I still have yet to ever have a issue.

So have the adblockers adapted, or has google backed off?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got the popups also and it stopped blocking the ads for me. Wasn't gonna pay them the $5.95 so just downloaded freetube, exported my subscription list to freetube and all is good.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got the popups also and it stopped blocking the ads for me. Wasn't gonna pay them the $5.95 so just downloaded freetube, exported my subscription list to freetube and all is good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been using it for three weeks and i've never seen any pay popups. I didn't even know it had a paid version.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
No pop ups for me on Chrome or Firefox.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Piracy is COMPLETELY justified: Louis tries NetFlix & remembers why

Video on how companies manage to provide a worse experience than pirating. Near the end he switches from talking about Netflix and starts on YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Tried watching a couple videos on chrome using adblock and privacy badger.
The videos play with no popup and are no longer blocked.
However it takes a few seconds to load, and I get the yellow line at the bottom of the video (like you get when a ad is playing) and sometimes the skip ad button comes up for a split second then the video starts playing.
So not sure if adblock is doing this to trick it into thinking you watched a ad or not.

Using brave, the video just plays instantly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I was getting the "video countdown" popup, then I disabled UBlock Origin for a day or two, then I re-enabled it. I didn't get any ads or warnings for a couple weeks. Then I got the countdown again, disabled ublock for a day or so, then re-enabled. No ads for the last week or so now.

Seems like uBlock is staying ahead of the popups for the most part.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Started using Brave and haven't had any ad's yet.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Pay up sucka...Google gotsta get paid
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was getting the "video countdown" popup, then I disabled UBlock Origin for a day or two, then I re-enabled it. I didn't get any ads or warnings for a couple weeks. Then I got the countdown again, disabled ublock for a day or so, then re-enabled. No ads for the last week or so now.

Seems like uBlock is staying ahead of the popups for the most part.
View Quote

Ditto except I didn't disable UBlock Origin for more than a few minutes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
This is really strange. I still not getting ads on Youtube with Firefox and UBlock Origin but this afternoon I started getting ads on X. No ads on X with Brave.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All of a sudden YT is not giving me the black screen telling me to allow ads.  I have not changed anything on my end.
View Quote

They're pulling back on the anti-adblock 'experiment'.

Some advertisers were discovering that they were actually paying for the ads that were getting blocked, and the explicit notices were drawing attention to it.

@juan223
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They're pulling back on the anti-adblock 'experiment'.

Some advertisers were discovering that they were actually paying for the ads that were getting blocked, and the explicit notices were drawing attention to it.

@juan223
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree with one of the videos posted and feel like it is backfiring on them and causing more people to get them and make them better.
The guy was talking about people hearing about all the commotion and were like, wait, you can block ads??? So they go out and get a ad blocker.

I feel like if anything, it has caused more people to get adblockers and then also help make them better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I tried Fadblock but it seemed to cause large delays with youtube shorts. I'm using Brave and uBlockOrigin and am having no problems with popups.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I used to not aggressively block ads.   Then ads became more annoying and I got a few that set off my AV software.    At that point I probably went overboard.  I block EVERYTHING ad related that I can and if something annoys me it's going to get blocked too.   If they want to serve up ads they need to limit the amount, the annoyance level, the audio level, and keep them absolutely free of malware.    If they can't do that then I reserve the right to filter my feed.   The whole ad community needs to clean up their act.
View Quote

Why would they?  For every one person that successfully blocks their adds, there are ten that bitch that their add blockers don't work and keep watching.  The other 95% watch the adds and the money keeps flowing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I tried Fadblock but it seemed to cause large delays with youtube shorts. I'm using Brave and uBlockOrigin and am having no problems with popups.
View Quote

Reports are, that's across all YT now.  

My guess; they're delaying the start of the video to mock serving an actual ad before starting the video.

If you're interested in seeing what is delaying the video, in Chrome, right click anywhere and select Inspect at the bottom of your choices. Go to the network tab (you may have to look for it) then refresh the tab.

You should see a cascade of what elements are loading when, and how long they're taking.

Same functionality in Firefox with Firebug.  There are similar utilities for Brave and Edge if you like.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why would they?  For every one person that successfully blocks their adds, there are ten that bitch that their add blockers don't work and keep watching.  The other 95% watch the adds and the money keeps flowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per the ad community cleaning up their act, the whole internet ad industry was literally founded on fraud and money laundering.  The economics of each of the major platforms is built on the scale behind serving ads to bots, ad stacking (putting one ad on top of the other on the same page so they get paid for both when only one is visible), and all kinds of shenanigans that are way to complex to outline in a single GD post.

Fun fact, most of the early major ad platforms on the internet were built on contract by a single company called IPOnWeb.  They are (were) a Russian outfit with heavy ties to organized crime. Internet advertising is a great way to launder money, especially since most of the platforms have triple blind options built in.  

That means advertisers don't know who the publishers are who show the ads, and neither has info on who the ads are served to.  

So if you want to clean some $$, set up a fake web site with ad units, set up a fake advertising agency on the platform, and create a farm of bots to go to the fake web site.  Dirty money goes in from the ad agency, churns through the fake web site via non human users, and comes out clean with 10% to the big guy (the ad platform in this case).  As long as legitimate ads don't serve on the fake web site, the platform has no incentive to investigate further.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I suspect YouTube is backing off this.

In a way blocked ads are a win win for them. Someone mentioned this earlier.

“Yes Mr Customer we served up your ad 87million times”

10 percent were probably blocked which they do not disclose.

Those blocked take no bandwidth that YT pays for.

10% less bandwidth used on ads. Profit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they want those of us who block them to consider removing ad blocking they have to clean up their act.  Until then I hope the Streisand effect is in full effect and more people start blocking them.   I don't feel bad at all about blocking ads.   I went overboard the 2nd or third time I got presented malware in an ad.    Nope.  We're done with that.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#27]
rip its back
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I ok'd YT on Adblocker,to no avail. I have deleted Adblocker entirely, along with 'reporting the issue' to YT. No luck. Haven't been able to see YT for nearly a month. Still get the warning block over the screen. FYT...
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I ok'd YT on Adblocker,to no avail. I have deleted Adblocker entirely, along with 'reporting the issue' to YT. No luck. Haven't been able to see YT for nearly a month. Still get the warning block over the screen. FYT...
View Quote
I have had good luck in the last hour or so right-clicking on the link and doing "open in new incognito window"  Adblockers and DNS blockers still work but the video plays without that BS.

Also try logging out and clearing cookies (you will need to log back in to everything, make sure you have your passwords first) and then logging back in seems to work.

uBlockOrigin has a set of settings that supposedly works.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I keep reading about how Youtube is blocking browsers with adblockers installed, but I haven't noticed anything when I go to Youtube.

Brave browser has been awesome.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fadblock 2.5 is working now.
View Quote

2.6 is current.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Youtube is free to do whatever they think is best, but once their IP Packets hit my network, it is now my turn to do as I think is best.  

I don't want ads, so I will strip them out, in any way I choose to.  Without a second thought towards poor youtube and their desire to force me to watch those ads.

They started their business as a public accomodation, I used their service as such, if they want to try to change that midstream, I am under no obligation to go along with it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got the blocked video player this afternoon on brave. It had been working fine for a month or more with no issue. I had actually almost forgotten it was a thing.
I had ublock already installed on brave, but not turned on. I turned it on, reloaded the page and it the video played.
No idea how long that will last.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I keep reading about how Youtube is blocking browsers with adblockers installed, but I haven't noticed anything when I go to Youtube.

View Quote

Google rolls out their updates in blocks while ad blockers tend to make the most updated configuration available to all at the same time. It’s very possible that you never get targeted for updated ad block detector from Google before ublock has a chance to update.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got one message about two months ago, then three more today, all on Brave and with a DNS based ad blocker.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brave on Android has been fine tonight but my desktop Firefox with UBlock Origin got cut off by Youtube. I didn't work in a private window, either since someone will chime in with that as a solution. I uninstalled and reinstalled Ublock Origin and back to working.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I started getting the blockage with it already at one down yesterday afternoon. I am running uBlock Origin on Firefox.  I was able to go to the settings page and "purge all cashes" and "update now." After doing that I am no longer seeing the popup. I have been following the Redit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/

It seems to have the most up to date information. It looks like YouTube changes their code periodically and then uBlock has to respond with an update.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't had much time to debug the current YT ad blocker effort, but ironically note one place where I can view YouTube videos without ads;

embedded in posts on ar15.com.

Not sure why that gap exists, but there it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I haven't had much time to debug the current YT ad blocker effort, but ironically note one place where I can view YouTube videos without ads;

View Quote

A person could put a web page on their own computer with basic HTML and embed a video and I bet all the ads are stripped.

Arfcom doesn't let me post the code directly (for good reason, not complaining) but once you get the iframe put it in a basic HTM file and it works fine.

All you need is the doctype, html, and body tags. (You gonna have to look that up.) And of course the embed code from the video you want to watch on youtube.

Youtube thinks you are embedding in some other site and no ads show.  You can't watch 18+ marked video but that's a small fraction of them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A person could put a web page on their own computer with basic HTML and embed a video and I bet all the ads are stripped.

Arfcom doesn't let me post the code directly (for good reason, not complaining) but once you get the iframe put it in a basic HTM file and it works fine.

All you need is the doctype, html, and body tags. (You gonna have to look that up.) And of course the embed code from the video you want to watch on youtube.

Youtube thinks you are embedding in some other site and no ads show.  You can't watch 18+ marked video but that's a small fraction of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, a person could also create an app on a raspberry pi to auto play youtube videos and accept the ads on a headless interface that no actual person would actually see, and artificially interact with the ads, to consume YouTube resources and give a good FU to the alphabet.

In minecraft, of course.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fired up brave and logged into my account.
No pop up as of yet, however I only had time to watch one video.
I will see how it goes as I watch more.
View Quote
I've done the same.  I'm not a) dropping my adblockers and b) not gonna put up with ads.  Fuck.  That.

Brave is working - so far.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like the holiday break is over and youtube is ramping it back up. This evening it started going straight to disable ad block. I'm back to watching on Brave in private mode with TOR.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

you download shit into your pc for free....... nothing is free in this current world.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looks like the holiday break is over and youtube is ramping it back up. This evening it started going straight to disable ad block. I'm back to watching on Brave in private mode with TOR.
View Quote

Just noticed this too.
Been watching on brave for a good while now with no issues. Watched a video this morning just fine and then go to watch one this afternoon and got the blocked screen.
I have ublock installed on brave.
Gonna try clearing all the data on brave and logging back in tomorrow and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I commented on a post from the beginning of this thread, and after realizing it, deleted it.

My first thoughts on the current situation is to make sure Brave browser is updated.  The current version per versions.brave.com is 1.61.116.

I using Brave browser on Debian 10/12 (multiple machines) and so far, I've haven't had any issue with youtube.

(I hope I haven't just taken aim at my big toe with that statement...)
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  They're blocking me on videos unless I allow ads.   Looks like I'm done w/ Youtube unless/until the ad blockers get ahead on this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just noticed this too.
Been watching on brave for a good while now with no issues. Watched a video this morning just fine and then go to watch one this afternoon and got the blocked screen.
I have ublock installed on brave.
Gonna try clearing all the data on brave and logging back in tomorrow and see how it goes.
View Quote
Just click on the Ublock icon, then the cog wheels, then quick fixes, and force an update for those filters. Started working immediately
after that.

From r/ublock

"Yeah last update to uBlock Origin was 38 days ago and according to that website YouTube updated their script 2 hours ago, so the uBlock Origin team haven't had a chance to update yet."

They've since updated it, just have to update your filters.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I am using Brave, and got hit with the message after the new year. I cleared my cache and history, and signed back in. So far so good. It's the second time it's happened since I got rid of chrome and started using Brave, and it's worked both times .
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am using Brave, and got hit with the message after the new year. I cleared my cache and history, and signed back in. So far so good. It's the second time it's happened since I got rid of chrome and started using Brave, and it's worked both times .
View Quote
This seems to have been all that was needed for me as well.  Just log out and log back in to your google account and it seems to reset something.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I have all the blockers and add on shit that's been mentioned in these threads, and they still will block you out after a time.
The only way to still use YT as well as block the ads is in a private window. You can log in as normal and watch what you want and can usually get 2 days before having to close out the window and re log in.

If you use a non private window they seem to cut you off much faster.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top