Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kharn:

I'd give the cop the benefit of the doubt.

He was instructing her to put it down the sink, she became non compliant, she sought cover, she made sudden movements while holding the pot. Sucks, but that's what it looks like to me.

Kharn
View Quote

LOL

pot of boiling water. LOL

I've had entire pots of boiling spaghetti fall on me with nothing but light red skin.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

You need to see the other bodycam.  She was also throwing a pot of boiling water at them when they shot her.  You can see the steam coming up from it at the edge of the kitchen floor.
View Quote

He drew first.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BornIn1776:
A taser would have ended this quietly and life would have gone on.
View Quote

Taser training and policy is to not use it if the person has a weapon or using it could cause unnecessary serious physical harm. If I tasered someone holding a pot of boiling water I’d be in serious trouble. It really is damn if you do damn if you don’t.

And yes supervisors will say the same stupid shit GD does about de-escalation and a duty to retreat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That officer is mentally not fit for police work and needs to find another job if he ever makes it through his prison sentence alive.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:

Taser training and policy is to not use it if the person has a weapon or using it could cause unnecessary serious physical harm. If I tasered someone holding a pot of boiling water I’d be in serious trouble. It really is damn if you do damn if you don’t.

And yes supervisors will say the same stupid shit GD does about de-escalation and a duty to retreat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Duty to retreat?  How about not badgering someone in their home after they told them to get out, and not closing the distance to create an excuse to kill?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Duty to retreat?  How about not badgering someone in their home after they told them to get out, and not closing the distance to create an excuse to kill?
View Quote

So retreating?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
She called for assistance with what she though was somebody suspicious.  They had no business going into her home once they determined there was nothing going on outside.  Should have just left, but no, they hand to come inside and stir the pot.  Now she is dead and the cop is up on murder charges.  Cops don't always have to go stir the pot, a simple nothing going on out her, see ya later would have sufficed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By swolliepop:

did she invite both of the cops into her home?  or did i miss something?
View Quote

Nope, they entered without probable cause or warrant.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Here's the screencap right as she's throwing it.
https://i.imgur.com/dVPQuKX.png
View Quote

Where's that video, is that while she's throwing it or is that her falling after being shot in the face.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#11]

So retreating?
View All Quotes

So retreating?

If not badgering a citizen floor is and not staying in their house after the call is resolved with a "there nobody else here, have a good night" is called retreating, then you see this whole thing as a hostile interaction from the start.

Interesting perspective on a citizen calling for help, even if she's nuts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
Just so we are all in agreement the water wasn't even a factor until the officer told her to go pick it up right?
View Quote

That's what the court is going to look at.

"You told her to pick it up and then shot her for it?"

If it was self defense he sure fucked up alot of other things that have incriminate him
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
She threw the water. Fuck her.
View Quote

not in the video
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Officer created the situation.  They entered and could have easly left.  Even when she was back by the stove, there was a barrier between them and yet the officer advanced instead of creating distance.  Just like ATF in New Orleans, they created the situation where the home owner is killed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

That's what the court is going to look at.

"You told her to pick it up and then shot her for it?"

If it was self defense he sure fucked up alot of other things that have incriminate him
View Quote

Jury is also going to look at him telling his partner to not get his med kit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 5zeronintyone:
Here's the problem, many departments have put thus requirement to get a name on prowler calls and such so if the home owner asks later who the officers talked to there is a record.

I talked to the brother of a home owner once on an alarm call, he claimed to be the owner and he refused to give me his name and I left. A few hours later the real homeowner called angry that we didn't stop his brother from entering his house. I got formal discipline for it.

So here the cops are trying to get her name, then she goes crazy. They were being nice until then. Inpatient, but when you deal with people day in and day out who can't provide basic info it gets really old. And once again if you don't get it, you get disciplined.

Tactically they should have backed out when she grabbed the water. Some poor choices were made, but you don't have to make the right choice, just a reasonable choice. Pointing a gun at a crazy woman with boiling water is reasonable.

She clearly went for the pot again while a gun was pointed at her after setting it down.

Sad incident for sure, but legally it's a justified shooting.
View Quote

Wow thank you for your service, you're so brave. I'm glad those officers kept that woman safe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wyorock:

Jury is also going to look at him telling his partner to not get his med kit.
View Quote

Ooof.

That’s a bad move.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I see in the video, she didn't get shot until she started throwing a pan of hot water at the cops.  My call is good shoot.

But as we all know, its not what really happened that matters.  Its who the DA is and what color the jury members are that determine the outcome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:07:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#19]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:

Water would have never made it that distance?  You wanna stand there and take a chance?  

View Quote

The cop clearly felt ok about getting closer.

Anyway, she was clearly a little “off” mentally, but I don’t know why they didn’t leave after clearing the call.
Was she on the phone with dispatch?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By wyorock:

They should have never been in their to begin with.  The moment they thought she was acting weird they could have backed out and left. She had not committed a crime no reason to continue the encounter
View Quote

This.

Guess he had to get it on. She disrespected his authority.

And, she was a Christian so he gets bonus points with The State.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Why didn't the cop just turn off the stove himself?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Cranky_CJ:
She called for assistance with what she though was somebody suspicious.  They had no business going into her home once they determined there was nothing going on outside.  Should have just left, but no, they hand to come inside and stir the pot.  Now she is dead and the cop is up on murder charges.  Cops don't always have to go stir the pot, a simple nothing going on out her, see ya later would have sufficed.
View Quote

But then they couldn’t have searched her home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Where's that video, is that while she's throwing it or is that her falling after being shot in the face.
View All Quotes
Here's the screencap right as she's throwing it.
https://i.imgur.com/dVPQuKX.png

Check the video in post #4 on page 3. She may have thrown it first.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By -daddy:
Who the fuck owns a "big screen tv" in 2024? What the actual fuck?

https://i.imgur.com/S2efimN.jpeg
View Quote

I still use my 42" Toshiba rear projection.  Cinema-like image.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

LOL

I've had entire pots of boiling spaghetti fall on me with nothing but light red skin.

View All Quotes

He was instructing her to put it down the sink, she became non compliant, she sought cover, she made sudden movements while holding the pot. Sucks, but that's what it looks like to me.

Kharn

LOL

Today I learned boiling water can't seriously burn you...

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Discombobulated goofy arm tats…check
JARHEAD haircut…check
Creatine powder on shirt…check
Shirt 2 sizes too small…check
Condescending brah attitude…check
Pimped out red dot equipped pistol with light…check
Robocop speed holster …check

He had to get it on. He just had to get it on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Towely:

View Quote

There was a barrier between them and you create distance and time.  Just the opposite which this cop did.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:

The cop clearly felt ok about getting closer.

Anyway, she was clearly a little “off” mentally, but I don’t know why they didn’t leave after clearing the call.
Was she on the phone with dispatch?
View Quote

I don’t know anything about police work or law, but other illegal use of deadly force investigations wanted to know why the officer didn’t move to cover if they thought their life was in danger.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Muerte:

not in the video
View All Quotes

not in the video

Not in the OP's video. She 100% fucking threw, it's on video. We really don't need to go over it yet again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#30]
GD has found another hero.  Send money to the officer’s prison account if it helps your feelings.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Very interesting,

Would a pot of boiling water be viewed as deadly with the intent to reasonably make a person fear they were at risk of death OR crippling Injury?

This case will boil down (pun intended) to the medical experts gymnastics about how boiling water can sever nerves or something.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Not in the OP's video. She 100% fucking threw, it's on video. We really don't need to go over it yet again.
View All Quotes

not in the video

Was that before or after the cop told her to get the pot, responded to "I rebuke you," by threatening to shoot get in the fucking face, drawing his gun and advancing on her?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By cheeks:
Discombobulated goofy arm tats…check
JARHEAD haircut…check
Creatine powder on shirt…check
Shirt 2 sizes too small…check
Condescending brah attitude…check
Pimped out red dot equipped pistol with light…check
Robocop speed holster …check

He had to get it on. He just had to get it on.
View Quote

Yep, gotta wave that freak flag when you check all them boxes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:14:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#34]
This one is certainly muddy.  It wasnt a good shoot, but it wasnt a bad shoot either. I suspect, by policy and the letter of the law he might be ok. But this one will be poorly perceived in the eyes of the masses because it is too easy to sow the story of little ol lady shot in her kitchen cooking dinner.  This one will be picked apart by the details for sure.  In the end, I think this cop is gonna end up in jail.

The lady was definitely off which made things worse. The cops also had room to back track or use alternatives, but once you are locked in, it seems almost impossible for these things to deviate away from someone getting shot.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
This one is certainly muddy.  It wasnt a good shoot, but it wasnt a bad shoot either. I suspect, by policy and the letter of the law he might be ok. But this one will be poorly perceived in the eyes of the masses because it is too easy to sow the story of little ol lady shot in her kitchen cooking dinner.  This one will be picked apart by the details for sure.  In the end, I think this cop is gonna end up in jail.

The lady was definitely off which made things worse. The cops also had room to back track or use alternatives, but once you are locked in, it seems almost impossible for these things to deviate away from someone getting shot.

View Quote

Yeah it seems like a pretty textbook example of making bad decisions, forcing the issue, and setting yourself up for a legal shoot that never should have happened.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#36]
If I'm in that position, I'm never going to kill her over that.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Kharn

LOL

From across the room? I doubt he would've had serious burns from that. I can't count the amount of radiators from an overheating derby car I've had explode on me from a hood's length away and I've never been burned. Water droplets cool down pretty damned fast in the air.

Ever notice how hot the water is at your shower head and how much cooler it is down by the floor of the tub?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

Yeah it seems like a pretty textbook example of making bad decisions, forcing the issue, and setting yourself up for a legal shoot that never should have happened.
View All Quotes

It reminds me of the videos where the cop moves in front of a vehicle and jumps on the hood.  Didnt need to happen, but the events put in motion a certain outcome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:36:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#39]

It reminds me of the videos where the cop moves in front of a vehicle and jumps on the hood.  Didnt need to happen, but the events put in motion a certain outcome.
View All Quotes

Yep, just handling the entire situation wrong and then using the ol' "well, technically I was justified to shoot in that moment."
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Was that before or after the cop told her to get the pot, responded to "I rebuke you," by threatening to shoot get in the fucking face, drawing his gun and advancing on her?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:

not in the video

There was no problem until out of nowhere Officer Friendly acted afraid of her and said he'd shoot her in the fucking face. To be clear, she wasn't even holding the pot at the time he drew down on her and threatened to shoot her in the face. That was just for saying she "rebukes" him, which I've been told via multiple messages is something commonly said in black churches, idk...

This is the exact moment he says to drop the fucking pot or he would shoot her in the face. She wasn't even holding the pot. She was holding oven mitts and raised her hands and said I'm sorry. They're pointing guns at her and threatening to shoot her in the face, telling her to drop the pot she's not even holding.

Then at some point around the 47 second mark, she goes from crouched down to grabbing the pot, from the counter. It may be that she was trying to obey what they were ordering, i.e., grabbing the pot and dropping it or dumping it.

If we're talking self defense, who was the threat at that point? They were in her house. She wasn't under arrest, nor suspected of having committed any crime. They are the ones who are armed and threatening to kill her for saying she "rebukes them in the name of Jesus."

The fact is that she wasn't even close enough to harm him with a pot of hot water at the time she was shot in the face. The other cop knew it was reasonable to fire, and didn't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#41]

So retreating?
View All Quotes

So retreating?

Or simply not pressing a fight until the point that you scare an old lady out of her wits so that you can shoot her for dubious reasons.  

But it if triggers you then yes, there are times you should retreat because it makes no sense to stay there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Good point. I didn't even think of that.

But I think it highlights the real issue. Due to bullshit complaints and lawsuits, cops are too afraid to use any kind of force at all (especially on certain demographics.) They're stuck there trying to talk and beg the person to please listen, this continues to embolden the other party, then it crosses the line to something dangerous for the officer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Or simply not pressing a fight until the point that you scare an old lady out of her wits so that you can shoot her for dubious reasons.  

But it if triggers you then yes, there are times you should retreat because it makes no sense to stay there.
View All Quotes

So retreating?

It’s a tired trope. Everything that goes wrong is the cops fault. Don’t grab a pot of boiling water. Period. She grabbed it and threw it. There’s no reason to do that. It’s all on her. Cops leaving, retreating, being nicer etc is all great but at the end of the day if you try to throw boiling water on someone you deserve to get shot. Everything else is lawyers trying to make money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:00:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#44]

It’s a tired trope. Everything that goes wrong is the cops fault. Don’t grab a pot of boiling water. Period. She grabbed it and threw it. There’s no reason to do that. It’s all on her. Cops leaving, retreating, being nicer etc is all great but at the end of the day if you try to throw boiling water on someone you deserve to get shot. Everything else is lawyers trying to make money.
View All Quotes

So retreating?

Quit dragging your cross across the carpet.

And don't grab a pot of boiling water after the cop says you can because he'll kill you for doing it.  Noted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Well then stop making stupid arguments.

Either the lady with the pot of boiling water wasn’t actually a threat of serious bodily injury at all and boiling water it totally fine to throw at someone.

OR

She was a threat and it was inevitable she was going to throw it and the cops shouldn’t have gotten close.

So which is it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Yeah she sure looks like she threw a pot of boiling water at him. Prosecution has a tough time ahead of them
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:

His video conveniently left out the shooter's bodycam video. She threw it.

https://i.imgur.com/u5mFYjy.png

Yeah she sure looks like she threw a pot of boiling water at him. Prosecution has a tough time ahead of them

For first degree murder, yeah.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Based on the video's shown that cop would not want me on the jury.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:08:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#48]

Either the lady with the pot of boiling water wasn’t actually a threat of serious bodily injury at all and boiling water it totally fine to throw at someone.

OR

She was a threat and it was inevitable she was going to throw it and the cops shouldn’t have gotten close.

So which is it?
View All Quotes

OR

So which is it?

It was inevitable she was going to throw it?  

More police creative writing on display.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Why it would be so difficult to inform the Leo "I've got a pot of water on the boil for pasta, I'm going to turn it off and move it to a cold burner"?
View Quote

Did you watch the video ? She did exactly that. It started to boil over and she said she was going to take it off.

She was also the one who called the cops to investigate a suspicious person in her area.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Yup, it was definitely avoidable, the cop fucked up and created/escalated and put himself into danger, but it probably isn’t first degree murder.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top