Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3BP:
I dont think I have ever broken any tool, that I was using properly.

View Quote

Well, that's just cheating!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By vinyl:

The Chinese induction heaters don’t work as well or last very long in a shop with multiple techs using them every day. Customer service for the Chinese induction heaters is almost non-existent as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I immediately looked them up when he posted that. Very cool and I'd love to have one but I'm not dropping $500 on one. I guess I'll wait until China rips it off and sells it for $60 at Harbor Freight.

You can get a Chinese nut heater for $200 or less.

The Chinese induction heaters don’t work as well or last very long in a shop with multiple techs using them every day. Customer service for the Chinese induction heaters is almost non-existent as well.

I never said anything about shop use. I'd use it a few times a year.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]

No, but it'll work for me once every couple weeks or so!
View All Quotes

I immediately looked them up when he posted that. Very cool and I'd love to have one but I'm not dropping $500 on one. I guess I'll wait until China rips it off and sells it for $60 at Harbor Freight.

Been there and done that. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:
I've been in the auto repair business for 39 years.  As I got older I realized what a pain in the ass it is to wait for a tool truck that only come once a week. Breaking tools is not an option if I can help it.  

Also, I've accumulated just about anything I'll need to get the job done safely.  Breaking tools is not safe.
View Quote

I’ve only been in industry for 21 years, but yeah I don’t break my tools or grind them into different shapes. Makes me think a guy don’t know what he’s doing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Been wrenching my own motor vehicles and mechanical equipment since '83. And have done it professionally on and off over the years.

Apart from the screwdriver-as-prybar and similar tricks, I've broken precisely one tool in that time.

A 12mm pt 1/4dr socket. CR-V, nonetheless.

Totally my fault. Used on a rusty 8mm bolt which secured an exhaust clamp on a CB750 I was disassembling to rebuild. The other three had come loose - and there seemingly wasn't room to get a 3/8dr socket into the space.

The right tool, a breaker bar and some penetrating oil had me back in the game.

Stuff you learn early on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Wrenched for 30 years in WI.  Most of it Class 9 trucking.
I had a shop set, and an OTR set.   I'd use "lesser brands" in the shop, and save my premiums for road calls.   In the shop, when I broke something, I could get a spare from a coworker or my OTR set.   On the road, if it breaks, you're fucked.

IE;  shop provides a CP for Budd/Hub Pilots, but I bring along my IR.  I could get away with Craftsman for shop use, but on a road call, I bring my Snap On.

Interesting fun fact!  If you saw any Snap On demo vids in the mid 2000's, and they were beating up a blue Matco box, that was my box.  SO swapped me a new cabinet for that box.  
The benefits of working in a SO corporate area.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
27 years in, most stuff that breaks is stuff that wears. Wobblys are pretty high on the list.
I'm not in the rust belt though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

They're that shitty? Like, "not even worth having" shitty?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rixae86:
27 years in, most stuff that breaks is stuff that wears. Wobblys are pretty high on the list.
I'm not in the rust belt though.
View Quote

Wear isn't abuse....I will never use up my swivel sockets. I only use them at home on my rust vehicles and those of my family.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#10]
I repair electric motors and pumps, sometimes very rusty ones, and seldom break a tool. I've got cheaper stuff I've had for 25 years and use it wisely. I don't run chrome tools on my impacts unless it's absolutely necessary, and if something feels like it isn't going to go I step up to the big stuff, or apply heat and experience.

I've broken plenty of bolts, but would prefer not to as that means drilling, extracting and tapping. Impatience would cost me lots of money, sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

I buy old American when I can, since I can't hardly find it new anymore. Have tools made everywhere, but will not buy Chinese on principle, unless there's no option.

I own about 3 Snap On tools, they're nice, but I can't swing $500 open end wrench sets.

ETA: I'm also up (2) 10mms, after finding one under the hood of my wife's new-to-us Odyssey, and another laying in a parking lot! Thanks people that don't police your tools!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I spent most of my career working on German sports cars made of alumium, magneisum and unoptanium . I can count on 1 hanf the times I used 1/2 anything.  I used 3/8 on occasion but I absolutely abused the 1/4  ratchets. I had 4 matco and 2 snap on  so when they broke i had spares.   Usually every time the tool.guy came I'd have 1 or 2 needing a kit.
Occasionally broke a screw driver but mostly just my 1/4 inch ratchet and sockets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If shit won't come out, I use a different tool/heat and maybe spray.  I will always search for the easier path.  My job doesn't require speed. I have no interest in breaking a bolt or tool and having to request another or having to drill out and use a helicoil.  Too.much effort unless the absolute last resort.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3BP:
I dont think I have ever broken any tool, that I was using properly.

But where I live, kroil and heat are my two most relied upon “tools”.

I’d love to get one of those induction heaters like pictured above, but they are not cheap!

They are like a magic wand. Not the hitachi version you pervs!

But $500+ for something I might use a few times a year?  Hard to justify in my head. Instead, I will continue milking my last can of real MAP gas…..
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GenoGS:

But it’s soft and brittle.
View Quote

I feel like I’m missing something here. Soft and brittle makes no sense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:21:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boy-scout] [#16]
I turn wrenches for a living in an industrial application.  I also work on my own rust belt cars. In my past I have worked at a farm and worked on plenty of farm equipment. I've also worked in an automotive repair shop when I was a younger man.

I rarely break my tools. Very rarely. I seem to be able to sense that a tool is in danger of breakage and step up to a tool that will accomplish the task.

I've got 1/2" ratchets that can handle near 1000 nm or 737.5 ft lbs. Beyond that I've got a 3/4" ratchet and breaker bar.

There have been times I've chosen to sacrifice a tool. Doesn't happen often. I can see breaking a ratchet or specialized tool occasionally as they wear.  

Do you break your tools often? Why? Do you ever question yourself or just rely on the tool manufacturers to continually replace your shit?
View Quote

Same here, but I also use "expensive tools" that 100% without a doubt, have a higher threshold before breaking or rounding something off.

I'm the go to "broken bolt guy" in the shop. I'm also the "this bolt won't come out guy". When a guy breaks his tool, he either borrows my tools and gets the bolt out, or has me come do it, and every time, he's like "damn, I should get one of those!", but he doesn't, and the cycle repeats itself.

I'm 25 years in a Ford dealer working on diesels (bumper to bumper). Yes, you do need to use patience to prevent damage to tools, but you also need to be efficient, and tools that don't break as easily are much more efficient.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:28:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#17]
Originally Posted By nandoz:

I’ve only been in industry for 21 years, but yeah I don’t break my tools or grind them into different shapes. Makes me think a guy don’t know what he’s doing.
View Quote

I turn 6 hour oil sender replacements on a particular model by using a chopped and grinded 24mm wrench...Takes me 30 minutes.  They pay me 6 hours but  I figured out how to not have to remove the intake to do it. I've done 100s. Weird.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
I almost never break anything and when I do its usually a torx bit or something.
View Quote

^^^ this, plus I go through a 3/8" ratchet every year or two.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Broke the 13mm box end wrench I’ve been using to change oil for 18 years. It earned it.

5 and 6mm on Benz transmission drain plugs, have to use the nice gold SnapOn sockets and they last a few years.

90* picks break off changing fuel filters. ICON made it 3 days. I have a small Channel Lock pick that’s been going for years, Witte is the best but they’re hard to source.

T30 torx break off in rotor bolts. 1/4” give up after a long time, 3/8” gun will twist off even a nice SnapOn bit at will. Sometimes it takes an air hammer to get those bolts out

That’s about it. Occasionally a 3/8” chrome socket, impact or not.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#20]
My tools?   Almost never.

Company tools?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
I haven't broken many, but it's inevitable to break something occasionally.

I once worked at a Ford dealer, and I was the front-end guy. There was one 19mm bolt that I had to loosen on the LCA of trucks & SUVs that you could only get the open end of a wrench on, and it took a lot of force to get it to move.

I broke one wrench about every other month.

I bought a Craftsman pro wrench to use while waiting for the Snap On guy to come back around. That one never broke. It became the primary instead of the backup.
View Quote

I assume that was a Craftsman USA Pro wrench. Those were excellent wrenches. I have a set that I bought back in the day. I did break one years later when Sears was still around and was greatly disappointed to see that they had gone to Chinesium lobster claw wrenches. SMH and walk out of the store.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By nandoz:

View Quote

Sometimes there is a need for an oddball/weird angle tool. I keep a bucket of old/yard sale tools just for "custom" jobs. Recently had to cut down a socket to get the last two bolts on a Mack differential. A regular short socket was about 1/4" too long. I didn't feel bad about grabbing an old Craftsman socket from the bucket and hacking it with a cut-off wheel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Heavy industrial here I break them occasionally but the company replaces them I mostly use Proto Westward knipex gearwrench ect.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rtintwo:

View Quote

I know, but it’s a claim the poster he was referring to has made.

He gets really wound up in these threads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

I turn 6 hour oil sender replacements on a particular model by using a chopped and grinded 24mm wrench...Takes me 30 minutes.  They pay me 6 hours but  I figured out how to not have to remove the intake to do it. I've done 100s. Weird.
View Quote

That’s awesome I love shit like that.

Have you considered patenting the design? It seems like it would be worth a lot considering how much time it saves.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Breakage due to wear is no crime. That should be expected. Breaking ratchet after ratchet seems.....excessive...
View Quote
Ratchets aren't breaker bars. If you're breaking tools due to abuse you're a jackass that shouldn't use tools.

There are extreme situations where you have to do what you have to do but they are rare.  There are smarter ways than brute force most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Lee-online:
I have been working on Cat equipment for almost 25 years, over that time I have broken a lot of tools. The biggest thing I have learnt is quality tools are worth the money.

The tools I have broken recently are swivel sockets, I use them all the time and they just don't hold up to the power the new Milwaukee m18 tools put out, especially at hard angles.
Impact adapters, 1" to 3/4" broke as I was hammering on a bunch of 46mm bolts in a tight spot. Couldn't get the 1" drive socket in but could get the 3/4 drive in there. Same for the smaller adapters.
Air tools have failed, impacts, die grinders etc, The company pays for them to be rebuilt or replaced so whenever they are down on power, we turn them in.
Ratchets have been rebuilt, breaker bar square drives snap, I have never used the crane on on these.
Screw driver and seal picks have had new shanks. Dull, worn  damaged.
I only remember 1 wrench breaking,
View Quote
I'd call that wear not abuse.

Abuse is putting the 3 foot cheater bar on the ratchet and fragging its guts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Not a professional but I raced cars at English town and Atco a lot so I was working with my tools a lot.

Only ever broke one Snap On impact socket that was a constantly used size. Snap On guy replaced.
3/8 Dual 80 Long handle ratchet broke the ratcheting mechanism which was my mostly used ratchet. Snap On guy replaced it by handing me a new one.
1/4 Dual 80 Small hard handle broke the ratcheting mechanism after 20 years of owning. Took pictures emailed Snap On and they sent me a rebuild kit.

Cracked a Williams USA Chrome Deep socket. Emailed Williams and they sent me a replacement.
Broke a lot of of those Lisle Black oxide Hex and Torque socket bits back in the day before I switched to the Snap On Gold socket bits.
Broke quit a few of the old Red Hard handle Craftsman USA Ratcheting screw drivers before I switched to Snap On Ratcheting screw drivers.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
In the 31 years i have been a mechanic i have broken a few tools.  Mostly cheap ratchets or i have had some sockets split right down an edge.   Oh i forgot the occasional swivel impact socket breaking the pin that holds it together.  Oh wait i have broken a few of the ez red/mountain/whatever other name they sell them by flex head spline drive wrenches, when i first got them.   For the most part no tho, i know the limit of what my 3/8 ratchets can handle and will step up to 1/2 or 3/4 drive tools if need be.  

Once you have become a flat rate tech you realize that breaking tools equals downtime that you do not get paid for and that 3 hour job is now going to take 2 days while you wait for the tool truck to get to your shop or you have to run down to the local HF or well what would have been Sears to swap out said broken tool.

This is where buying a quality tool comes into play.  As i said in another thread comparing 2 brands of ratchets.  The cheaper ones broke while the better brand did the job.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Ratchets aren't breaker bars. If you're breaking tools due to abuse you're a jackass that shouldn't use tools.

There are extreme situations where you have to do what you have to do but they are rare.  There are smarter ways than brute force most of the time.
View All Quotes

Breakage due to wear is no crime. That should be expected. Breaking ratchet after ratchet seems.....excessive...

The point of this thread is to see if the guys breaking a lot of tools ever do any introspection and make adjustments to how they use tools.

I carry a 3/8" drive swivel head ratchet and sockets. I often have to break loose and tighten 24mm headed bolts and nuts. That is a hell of a job for a 3/8 drive ratchet. If I need to really reef on a 24mm bolt I use my 24mm Wright Grip wrench over the ratchet.

My first ratchet when I started this job was a Gear Wrench flex head that lasted 8 years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#31]
If you default to using the largest practical drive size you can fit in the space, you'll rarely break sockets and ratchets.  Putting a pipe on a 3/8 rather than reaching for a 1/2 drive is asking for trouble.  3/4 drive is important for suspension and other heavy work, and is something a lot of younger mechanics ignore.
Most of them really lean on pneumatic and battery impact to keep that sweet time down.  They don't touch a ratchet anyway unless absolutely forced.

I find that we break torx bits most often and hex bits next.  The SO ones really do significantly outlast the others we've gone through, but they're too long for quite a few jobs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Since it seems like the term has been misused several times in this thread, ackchyually....

The "Rust Belt" is a term coined to describe the region characterized by the decline of the once-booming manufacturing industry in the United States. The abundance of abandoned factories, often covered in rust, along with decaying infrastructure, symbolized the loss of jobs and systemic economic issues, giving birth to the term “Rust Belt.”
View Quote

[not the pedantic chrome vanadium guy - whoever that is]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

I assume that was a Craftsman USA Pro wrench. Those were excellent wrenches. I have a set that I bought back in the day. I did break one years later when Sears was still around and was greatly disappointed to see that they had gone to Chinesium lobster claw wrenches. SMH and walk out of the store.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By diesel1:
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
I haven't broken many, but it's inevitable to break something occasionally.

I once worked at a Ford dealer, and I was the front-end guy. There was one 19mm bolt that I had to loosen on the LCA of trucks & SUVs that you could only get the open end of a wrench on, and it took a lot of force to get it to move.

I broke one wrench about every other month.

I bought a Craftsman pro wrench to use while waiting for the Snap On guy to come back around. That one never broke. It became the primary instead of the backup.

Yep - that's it. I didn't need a whole set and just bought that one to back up a frequently-broken wrench, but I was very impressed with the quality. If I knew about that line before, I would've bought a bunch of them, as they were less expensive but great quality. They discontinued that Pro line too soon.

There was also a Sears in my area at that time, so exchanging a Craftsman tool was more convenient than tracking down the tool truck. My shit always seemed to break when it was 4-6 days until his next visit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By poncho455:
Since it seems like the term has been misused several times in this thread, ackchyually....

View All Quotes

The "Rust Belt" is a term coined to describe the region characterized by the decline of the once-booming manufacturing industry in the United States. The abundance of abandoned factories, often covered in rust, along with decaying infrastructure, symbolized the loss of jobs and systemic economic issues, giving birth to the term “Rust Belt.”

But I do live in the rust belt.......lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
Broke the 13mm box end wrench I’ve been using to change oil for 18 years. It earned it.

5 and 6mm on Benz transmission drain plugs, have to use the nice gold SnapOn sockets and they last a few years.

90* picks break off changing fuel filters. ICON made it 3 days. I have a small Channel Lock pick that’s been going for years, Witte is the best but they’re hard to source.

T30 torx break off in rotor bolts. 1/4” give up after a long time, 3/8” gun will twist off even a nice SnapOn bit at will. Sometimes it takes an air hammer to get those bolts out

That’s about it. Occasionally a 3/8” chrome socket, impact or not.
View Quote

I just drill the heads off those torx rotor bolts if they don't come off easily. They're pointless outside of the assembly line anyway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd call that wear not abuse.

Abuse is putting the 3 foot cheater bar on the ratchet and fragging its guts.
View Quote

Apart from ratchets which are a POS to begin with, I've never broken one in routine use. If the fastener requires more than moderate force to begin to loosen, out come the breaker bars.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Come to Ohio, I will give you a fully guided tour of Cleveland. If you really want to be depressed, I will take you to Youngstown.

Then we will find some cars that are a few years old, that don't get sprayed and are kept outside, and you can look underneath them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#38]

I just drill the heads off those torx rotor bolts if they don't come off easily. They're pointless outside of the assembly line anyway.
View Quote

Then you have to heat it and hope a vice grip will turn the little stud out. I’ve been there, I’ve removed them with a sledge hammer a few times

We broke 4 19mm Allen sockets torqueing a 2023 Sprinter AWD front axle bolt. Ironically, Icon got the job done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#39]
It's not the normal wear and tear, it's the abuse.

We own a small agricultural family company. Under state law, we're allowed to work on a lot of agricultural structures without certain permits, so we do a lot of it ourselves. I have my own tool backpack that I put together, all decent tools, Klein, Wera, Milwaukee, Fluke, etc. All personally owned.

My 76 year old father has a mis-mash of old shit. For Father's Day, I bought him a pair of Milwaukee installation pliers. Pretty handy. A few weeks ago, we were extending an outlet. He hands me his pliers and the cutters are already fucked. Really? Oh, I had to cut some stuff, he said. Now they stick closed. Fuck, ok, whatever.

A few weeks later, we are hanging lights in the top of a building. I have my installation pliers up there in a cherry picker basket with my Dad, my 15 year old son is in the cab, driving the machine. We need to move and my son has his nose in his phone not paying attention to us. My dad decided to throw my good pliers at the roof of the cab to get his attention. Not a toss, slammed it, 8 feet to the cab, 7 foot to the concrete. They are decidedly tweaked now.

Goddamit, both of them. Going to go buy a new pair on the company credit card.

Both of them will take a VDE insulated screwdriver and beat on it with a hammer to open something with the damn chisel beater screwdriver sticking out of the bag.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorsportsman] [#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenoGS:

But it’s soft and brittle.

I'll do my best to explain it. The more you harden a steel the more brittle it becomes, however some steels can be harder than others but still be less brittle due to the alloy.

As an example as there has recently been a lot of claims that the HF Icon wrenches are 'better" than Snap On so lets compare the two.

Snap On uses their own proprietary wrench steel. Snap On developed this steel back in the 1960's when the invented the Flank Drive wrench at the request of the US military. The Navy was having problems rounding fasteners on aircraft and asked Snap On to develop a wrench that would resist rounding the fasteners. Snap On's answer was Flank Drive. The design of the wrench needed a harder steel to resist wear.

Snap On is able to harden their wrench steel to 52 rockwell hardness. While being incredibly hard and wear resistant, it will also usually bend before it breaks. This is true of their breaker bars and ratchets as well. This makes the tool safer.

On the other hand the Icon wrench uses the same chrome vanadium steel they use in their Pittsburgh wrenches. The chrome vanadium steel can't be hardened as much as Snap On's steel without becoming extremely brittle. Even though the chinese/taiwan made chrome vanadium wrenches are not hardened as much as a Snap On wrench AKA softer they are still more brittle than a Snap On wrench (or other USA made wrenches).

Chrome Vanadium was once used by Snap On to make wrenches, they stopped using it about 90 years ago in favor of better steel. I have never in my lifetime seen an American made wrench, socket or ratchet made from chrome vanadium until Matco recently started using it for some very inexpensive wrenches they are making, likely in an attempt to compete against the lower cost imported wrenches. However the vast majority of chinese/taiwan made tools (wrenches, sockets, ratchets) are made with chrome vanadium. It's less expensive and requires less expensive tooling and less frequent tooling changes. It's a trade off, lower cost for greatly decreased performance and longevity.

The difference in hardness between a Snap On wrench and any chrome vanadium wrench is easy to test yourself, used to be done on the tool trucks all the time yet somehow no one seems to remember. You take the 2 wrenches and turn them on their side. Smack the side of the beam together as hard as you can 10 times or so. Now look at the 2 wrenches. The Snap On wrench won't have a mark on it and the chrome vanadium wrench will have a bunch of dents in the steel. This is due to the softer chrome vanadium steel which is also more brittle, more likely to break.

TLDR:
So while the harder you make a steel the more brittle it becomes if they are both the same steel, there are some alloy's that can be hardened more than other alloy's yet still be less brittle than other alloy's. The reverse is also true, you can make a chrome vanadium wrench less hard while having it still be more brittle than a wrench made of better steel.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I've cracked a few 12pt sockets and stripped teeth on a ratchet wrench. Far more fasteners than tools have been ruined.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Then you have to heat it and hope a vice grip will turn the little stud out. I’ve been there, I’ve removed them with a sledge hammer a few times

We broke 4 19mm Allen sockets torqueing a 2023 Sprinter AWD front axle bolt. Ironically, Icon got the job done.
View All Quotes

I drilled one out on a Taurus recently. I couldn't get it to come out with vice grips and my torch was empty so I grinded it down flush and left the rest in there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I can count on one hand the amount of tools I have broken in my lifetime
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By outdoorsportsman:

I'll do my best to explain it. The more you harden a steel the more brittle it becomes, however some steels can be harder than others but still be less brittle due to the alloy.

As an example as there has recently been a lot of claims that the HF Icon wrenches are 'better" than Snap On so lets compare the two.

Snap On uses their own proprietary wrench steel. Snap On developed this steel back in the 1960's when the invented the Flank Drive wrench at the request of the US military. The Navy was having problems rounding fasteners on aircraft and asked Snap On to develop a wrench that would resist rounding the fasteners. Snap On's answer was Flank Drive. The design of the wrench needed a harder steel to resist wear.

Snap On is able to harden their wrench steel to 52 rockwell hardness. While being incredibly hard and wear resistant, it will also usually bend before it breaks. This is true of their breaker bars and ratchets as well. This makes the tool safer.

On the other hand the Icon wrench uses the same chrome vanadium steel they use in their Pittsburgh wrenches. The chrome vanadium steel can't be hardened as much as Snap On's steel without becoming extremely brittle. Even though the chinese/taiwan made chrome vanadium wrenches are not hardened as much as a Snap On wrench AKA softer they are still more brittle than a Snap On wrench (or other USA made wrenches).

Chrome Vanadium was once used by Snap On to make wrenches, they stopped using it about 90 years ago in favor of better steel. I have never in my lifetime seen an American made wrench, socket or ratchet made from chrome vanadium until Matco recently started using it for some very inexpensive wrenches they are making, likely in an attempt to compete against the lower cost imported wrenches. However the vast majority of chinese/taiwan made tools (wrenches, sockets, ratchets) are made with chrome vanadium. It's less expensive and requires less expensive tooling and less frequent tooling changes. It's a trade off, lower cost for greatly decreased performance and longevity.

The difference in hardness between a Snap On wrench and any chrome vanadium wrench is easy to test yourself, used to be done on the tool trucks all the time yet somehow no one seems to remember. You take the 2 wrenches and turn them on their side. Smack the side of the beam together as hard as you can 10 times or so. Now look at the 2 wrenches. The Snap On wrench won't have a mark on it and the chrome vanadium wrench will have a bunch of dents in the steel. This is due to the softer chrome vanadium steel which is also more brittle, more likely to break.

So while the harder you make a steel the more brittle it becomes, you can harden some alloy steels more than others yet still have them be less brittle. The reverse is also true, you can make a chrome vanadium wrench less hard while having it still be more brittle than a wrench made of better steel. This is why I advise people to buy American made hand tools, they are made with better steel. Better being harder, stronger, less brittle. The chrome vanadium wrenches wear faster and break more easily.

Hope this helps  someone to made better choices in the tools they purchase. I recommend staying away for the taiwan/china tools.
View Quote

Did anyone bother to read all that?

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By midcap:
View Quote

Is that because you only buy SnapOff, or because you're not an idiot?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Most of the things I’ve broke have just been wore out.

I am getting to the point that I don’t think Milwake Drills are all that great.

Some of the things I’ve broke have been because they are undersized for the work I’m doing.

I am under the impression some things are built better but most is good enough. Most of the broken tools are from improper use/not taking care it.

Smoking 3/8 impacts? Probably need to start using 1/2 inch. Ratchet gears keep stripping? Stop using it for a hammer lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By outdoorsportsman:

TLDR:
So while the harder you make a steel the more brittle it becomes if they are both the same steel, there are some alloy's that can be hardened more than other alloy's yet still be less brittle than other alloy's. The reverse is also true, you can make a chrome vanadium wrench less hard while having it still be more brittle than a wrench made of better steel. This is why I advise people to buy American made hand tools, they are made with better steel. Better being harder, stronger, less brittle. The chrome vanadium wrenches wear faster and break more easily.

View Quote

Love the wordy TLDR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midcap:

Im not a idiot lol

I have plenty of StrapOn and other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By a390st:
If you default to using the largest practical drive size you can fit in the space, you'll rarely break sockets and ratchets.  Putting a pipe on a 3/8 rather than reaching for a 1/2 drive is asking for trouble.  3/4 drive is important for suspension and other heavy work, and is something a lot of younger mechanics ignore.
Most of them really lean on pneumatic and battery impact to keep that sweet time down.  They don't touch a ratchet anyway unless absolutely forced.

I find that we break torx bits most often and hex bits next.  The SO ones really do significantly outlast the others we've gone through, but they're too long for quite a few jobs.
View Quote

Luckily, Snap-On makes these.
https://shop.snapon.com/product/TORX-Stubby%2C-Chrome-
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boy-scout:
Originally Posted By a390st:

Luckily, Snap-On makes these.
https://shop.snapon.com/product/TORX-Stubby%2C-Chrome-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300252/207EFTXYSE_v2_jpg-3306251.JPG

The Hazet tin coated 3/8 drive hex sockets I use are pretty awesome. Mine are around 7 or 8 years old and barely any wear. I wonder if they make torx.

I'm going to check with Eight Tools and see if they have torx sockets.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top