Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]

The polar opposite of the "thumper" school, but seems to offer long range ballistics + short range lethality(maybe) + low recoil all in 1...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Magazines.

ASC and Elander are hit or miss.

Maybe the uni-mag is key,
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote:
You can chamber a .308 in a .270 Winchester though, and fire it!

Recoil will be impressive if the rifle holds together.

The case will come out with no neck, just a hole at the end of the shoulder.

I saw an older man shoot a 308 out of a 30-06 bolt action.  Nothing happened except the 308 brass was now a straight wall case.  The man looked around to see who was looking and said with a straight face, "I meant to do that."  He was a Phd. math professor at a local college and was not about to admit he made a mistake.  Ego was way too big for that to happen!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched a guy try to zero his 300 wby with a box of 300 win mag once.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My newer ASC mags have been working fine, I've heard good things about C-Products/Duramag, but haven't gotten around to trying any.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw this on the hide, fingers crossed it's the 6mm ARC announcement:

New Product from Hornady - Coming June 3rd!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
What else do they have to announce? It SHOULD be the 6mmARC.

Steve Hornady, in his voice-over, says, "It's better than what's out there." OK, 6mmARC is very cool and will be better than most AR-compatible cartridges.

But then he says, "It truly is an innovation." OK, uh ... yeah. New cartridges are cool, but I don't know if Hornady would call them an "innovation." Unless they're REALLY hyped up about it?

So that makes me doubt it's the 6mmARC announcement.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Pretty sure it's a teaser for the 6mm ARC announcement, a poster on The Hide noticed that the camera is gliding over parts of the letters A R C during the naration.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Pretty sure it's a teaser for the 6mm ARC announcement, a poster on The Hide noticed that the camera is gliding over parts of the letters A R C during the naration.
View Quote

You're right. I'm wrong. Very good point. The 3D letters A-R-C panning by in the background nail it.

I guess a new cartridge can "TRULY be an INNOVATION."

Anyway, very cool. I've been gearing up to make barrels for this since — I think it was you, GTS — first posted the SAAMI specs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
While I agree that the Hornady teaser is a bit over the top, I am excited that the ARC is going to be a commercial option.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're right. I'm wrong. Very good point. The 3D letters A-R-C panning by in the background nail it.

I guess a new cartridge can "TRULY be an INNOVATION."

Anyway, very cool. I've been gearing up to make barrels for this since — I think it was you, GTS — first posted the SAAMI specs.
View Quote

What are the commercially available 6mm cartridges that fit in an AR-15 that will shoot heavy for caliber, high BC bullets at the same or better speeds?

Doesn't exist.  There's your innovation.

People like to dog marketing but for better or worse the more they market, the more it sells, the cheaper and more common it becomes, the more YOU get to shoot, the more options YOU have.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I suppose the "innovation" is the cartridge-to-chamber relationship that Hornady has pioneered with their 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, and .300 PRC. Now they're doing the same with this 6mmARC in an AR15. It's designed for accuracy and I think it's a great design.

Gonna obsolete any cartridge 6mm and below in the AR, just like 6.5 Grendel obsoleted anything 6.5mm and above in the AR.

The concept of short, fat cases with long, sleek bullets has definitely obsoleted the concept of skinny cases with stubby bullets.

It's a great, new era for the AR15.

How's THAT for marketing?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm still amazed Alexander never did a 6mm Gendel. Guys have been wildcatting it for so long.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I really hope this takes off as I feel the 6mm is better suited for a AR sized cartridge, and I have a 6mmBR rem700 that I would love to rechamber for something less handload-y
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]
If all it takes is a barrel swap in existing grendel rifles, I'd pick one up and give it a go.

I've wanted to build a 6mm AR or a Turbo 40, but commercially available ammo and dies is hard to
pass up for the minor loss in performance
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Need good mags.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting to see Wilson Combat on the vendor list. I guess this really doesn't compete with the 300 hamr.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#21]
The 6mm ARC - Advanced Rifle Cartridge
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Always wondered why they didn’t just do a 6mm Grendel.
View Quote

Because Grendel mags suck!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because Grendel mags suck!!!
View Quote

Really there’s no solid reliable ones? Isn’t that what this is going to be using?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#24]
It is a 6mm Grendel derivative with the shoulder pushed back 30 thou, takes Grendel mags and bolts. Lots of manufacturers on board, Proof and Brownells already have barrels up and it looks like Howa is on board (hopefully for some minis).

My ASC Grendel mags work just fine.

Midsouth has a good feature page:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/articles/hornady_6arc.aspx
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Really interested in seeing the performance in a shorter package. I think it will thrive in a 18" SPR, but if it will push a 103gr ELD-X faster than my my 12.5" 6.5 grendel will push a 123gr SST that's going to be hard to argue with.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#26]
https://news.barrett.net/2020/06/03/barrett-announces-shipment-of-6mm-arc-rifles-to-us-dod/

108gr ELD @ 2,630+ fps from 18" barrels sounds pretty good. I'm guessing the 24rd mags must be E-Landers?

From the published factory ammo specs, the 103gr ELDX should run about 50fps faster.

If you could get 2,750-2,800 fps out of an 18" barrel with 90gr Accubonds, it would really make a nice mild mannered deer popper.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I was just going to put in an order for a 6 Grendel but I think this got me!!!! I am all in I think it looks awesome and the fact that manufacturers are already on board and that Ammo is being made all in
A short barrel would be sweet too
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really there’s no solid reliable ones? Isn’t that what this is going to be using?
View Quote

I read that it uses standard AR-15 magazines?

Grendel mags are hit or miss. I've got AR's in 6.8 SPC, 5.56, 300BLK, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Grendel. NEVER in my 8 years of shooting ARs have I had mag issues until Grendel. E-Landers were supposed to be good, my first one sucked. Trying some Dura-Mags that show to be a little more reliable.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I read that it uses standard AR-15 magazines?

Grendel mags are hit or miss. I've got AR's in 6.8 SPC, 5.56, 300BLK, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Grendel. NEVER in my 8 years of shooting ARs have I had mag issues until Grendel. E-Landers were supposed to be good, my first one sucked. Trying some Dura-Mags that show to be a little more reliable.
View Quote

Where? It's based on the Grendel and is shipping to the DOD with some 24rd mag that looks a lot like an E-Lander (at least from Barrett's press release photo). 99.9% certain the ARC feeds from Grendel mags.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Where? It's based on the Grendel and is shipping to the DOD with some 24rd mag that looks a lot like an E-Lander (at least from Barrett's press release photo). 99.9% certain the ARC feeds from Grendel mags.
View Quote

The 9/10rd and 15rd ACS have been 100% for me. The Elander has the wrong curve in the 24rd. Look at how the CProducts is shaped more like a x39 AK mag.

My buddy hasn't had any issues with the 26rd CProducts grendel mags. They're all he uses now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Elander has the wrong curve in the 24rd.
View Quote

Do we know with certainty that the 6mmARC has the same body taper as the Grendel?

ETA: Looked up the drawings, looks to be a very small amount (0.0003) more taper.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do we know with certainty that the 6mmARC has the same body taper as the Grendel?
View Quote

The body taper of the ARC is slightly more than the Grendel because the shoulder diameter is the same, but the shoulder was moved back 30 thou.

The drawings for both are on the SAAMI website.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Best case scenario would be a 'LWRCI Six6.'

Their existing Six8 rifle, but with a new Magpul mag designed for using 6mm ARC and/or 6.5 Grendel.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Hopefully this will encourage Amend2 to get off their ass and make the grendel mags already.  I would think the will probably work with the ARC as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were a few wildcats.  Non with SAAMI specs though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Considering that weight was one of the high priority design criteria, it's disappointing there isn't an aluminum or polymer magazine.  I had hoped this would come along based on the 6.8 case head but can see they wanted the maximum performance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. That’s my point.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Right. That’s my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. That’s my point.

Probably the normal progression for many wildcats.  One party starts it and another party with more money standardizes it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Considering that weight was one of the high priority design criteria, it's disappointing there isn't an aluminum or polymer magazine.  I had hoped this would come along based on the 6.8 case head but can see they wanted the maximum performance.
View Quote

Aluminum 6.8 and Grendel mags would swell too much due to how much pressure the round stack puts on the mag walls. That's the principal reason why both cartridges only have stainless steel mags for standard AR magwells.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Probably the normal progression for many wildcats.  One party starts it and another party with more money standardizes it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. That’s my point.

I am surprised that Alexander and Hornady didn’t do a 6mm Grendel years ago. That basic round was popular before the Grendel so I always figured they’d just progress to 6mm eventually but they never did.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

FWIW, back in 1991 I had an Olympic Arms Multi-Match 16" 6mm PPC.  It ran perfectly from those 30rd 7.62x39 FrankenMags that have a 30rd AK magazine body welded to an AR-15 feed tower.  
I would use them to fire form 7.62x39 cases into 6mm PPC, full auto on my M16 lower.  I would then run the formed 6PPC cases in the same mags and they ran perfectly.

Tony

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I actually remember guys on here talking about those mags being some of the few that were reliable for the 7.62 based rounds.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I actually remember guys on here talking about those mags being some of the few that were reliable for the 7.62 based rounds.
View Quote

Mags are why I build a KS-47 in 6.5 Grendel. The CSSpecs 30 rounders feed steel cased like butter, as fast as I can pull the trigger. The lack of LRBHO is a nuisance but not a major one.

I'm looking forward to trying the Evocatus Strategic 30rd 6.5G AK mags as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mags are why I build a KS-47 in 6.5 Grendel. The CSSpecs 30 rounders feed steel cased like butter, as fast as I can pull the trigger. The lack of LRBHO is a nuisance but not a major one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have one of those lowers. I bought whichever cheap mags psa had at the time and it still sits. I’ll have to check out those mags you mentioned as the ones I got apparently might not be great
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#45]
San Tan Tactical here in AZ has a complete rifle with proof barrel:
https://www.santantactical.com/stt15-6arc-lite
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here

Is it conclusive? No. But it leads me to believe it accepts 5.56 AR-15 mags. If it’s going DoD, there is a huge chance it’s going to take existing inventory mags.

And how does the capacity have anything to do with Grendel mags? What if you can get (24) 6mm ARC rounds in a mil-spec M4 mag?

I’m not saying 100% though...I’d just be incredibly surprised if they adopt a round that utilizes mediocre magazines.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Here

Is it conclusive? No. But it leads me to believe it accepts 5.56 AR-15 mags. If it’s going DoD, there is a huge chance it’s going to take existing inventory mags.

And how does the capacity have anything to do with Grendel mags? What if you can get (24) 6mm ARC rounds in a mil-spec M4 mag?

I’m not saying 100% though...I’d just be incredibly surprised if they adopt a round that utilizes mediocre magazines.
View Quote

I don't know how you come to that conclusion after reading that. Grendel in a 223 mag can have as little as half the capacity. Guys used to mod 20rd mags and would get like 10 rounds of Grendel in them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't know how you come to that conclusion after reading that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

You would look at the picture that says "2: fits in AR15 length magazine " and interpret that to mean "uses normal AR15 magazines" and then not read the entire paragraph that says "Needs Grendel mags, is bummer"
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Here

View Quote

The ARC is definitely meant to feed from Grendel mags, lots of discussion over on the Hide, with some folks who have been shooting it for a while commenting too. In your link they said they used Alexander Arms marked 6.5 Grendel mags with the ARC.

The capacity didn't tell me that it used Grendel mags, I already knew that, the capacity gave me a good guess as to which brand of Grendel mags the Barrett contract rifles were shipping with because only one brand that I can find sells 24 rd Grendel mags. I believe the mags were confirmed as E-Lander, at least by someone posting over there.

Personally I've had good function from the newer
10 and 15 rd ASC mags and it seems like a lot of other folks have as well, so that's probably what I'll try first when I get an ARC put together.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You would look at the picture that says "2: fits in AR15 length magazine " and interpret that to mean "uses normal AR15 magazines" and then not read the entire paragraph that says "Needs Grendel mags, is bummer"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Yeah I didn’t even get that far down.
Magazines
As you saw above in our review, the achilles heel for the 6 ARC is the magazine. First, a special magazine is needed. Second, that special magazine still isn’t quite “right.” Third, the capacity is lower for 6 ARC as compared to 223 Rem in the same outside-dimensions for a magazine.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top