Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:12:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmwguy] [#1]
Need your advice as I just received this kit from Century. I've never built a roller lock before and will have one of the smiths complete my build.

If you take a look at the pics, is this something I should have century replace.  For reasons unknown, they decided to cut the barrel shroud near front of the trunnion.

I am okay with the trunnion in the rear (toward receiver) but not sure if the cutting in front of the trunnion will affect build.

Has anyone else encounter this?

Is this something a smith will be able to repair or should I ask for replacement from Century?

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I would definitely say something about that. If everything else is good, I would see if they can just replace the barrel shroud/trunnion. Cant hurt to ask.

That said, it could be fixed with careful welding and blending.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that could be dealt with but not without some aggravation. Looks like someone realized they messed up before they got too far.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bmwguy:
Need your advice as I just received this kit from Century. I've never built a roller lock before and will have one of the smiths complete my build.

If you take a look at the pics, is this something I should have century replace.  For reasons unknown, they decided to cut the barrel shroud near front of the trunnion.

I am okay with the trunnion in the rear (toward receiver) but not sure if the cutting in front of the trunnion will affect build.

Has anyone else encounter this?

Is this something a smith will be able to repair or should I ask for replacement from Century?

https://i.imgur.com/RVB6cuz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rmRG0bl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IZ4PZsX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JvjY9SB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Sy13OzU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2Sy8Mux.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2GnLwfb.jpg

View Quote

Looks like someone had an oops moment and nicked it. The cut doesn’t look deep at all and can be blended and welded up. Judging by the otherwise far better than average condition of your parts…I’d hold onto it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Looks like someone had an oops moment and nicked it. The cut doesn’t look deep at all and can be blended and welded up. Judging by the otherwise far better than average condition of your parts…I’d hold onto it.
View Quote

Agreed.  My Century rep Anna is taking care of me.  I emailed her and attached the photos.  They will be sending me another shroud.

Great that Century is taking care of their customers!
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 4:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#6]

Agreed.  My Century rep Anna is taking care of me.  I emailed her and attached the photos.  They will be sending me another shroud.

Great that Century is taking care of their customers!
View Quote

@bmwguy

Yeah they took care of me too. Sent me a new bolt head. If you’re happy with the new shroud they send you, and you don’t have any plans for that one please let me know. I may be interested since my cocking tube is pretty messed up. I’d be willing to try to weld those cuts up and use yours instead.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]

@bmwguy

Yeah they took care of me too. Sent me a new bolt head. If you’re happy with the new shroud they send you, and you don’t have any plans for that one please let me know. I may be interested since my cocking tube is pretty messed up. I’d be willing to try to weld those cuts up and use yours instead.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_1737_jpeg-3234940.JPG
View Quote

Mine looks very similiar.

Century requested that I return the bad barrel shroud.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Stack those accessories boys

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Mine looks very similiar.

Century requested that I return the bad barrel shroud.

View Quote

I have a feeling they’ll say they all look like that. No issues. That’s a shame. That shroud is really nice otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]

I’d loved to have grabbed one of those but for the price I probably would have snagged another kit instead.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 7:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jntmjt1] [#11]
@Heineken

Originally Posted By Heineken:
View Quote

Is that one of the earlier available "very good" condition tripods, or is it one of the current "well used" ones?  I have a "well-used" one on the way, and I hope it's in as good of condition as yours... it looks great!  -- With that said, even if mine is rough, I will enjoy restoring it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Crew served weapons really should have a tripod available, and those are pretty cool. I opted for a second kit though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#13]
Originally Posted By jntmjt1:
@Heineken

Is that one of the earlier available "very good" condition tripods, or is it one of the current "well used" ones?  I have a "well-used" one on the way, and I hope it's in as good of condition as yours... it looks great!  -- With that said, even if mine is rough, I will enjoy restoring it.
View Quote

I got it from centerfire systems.  I think they got them from Apex though cause they have the exact tag apex puts on the with the same printing etc apex uses.  I just went with them cause it was free shipping, and no tax.

I figured I would be doing a restore / repaint....but after having it in hand and cleaning it...I'm just going to leave it as is.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#14]
Removing the old receiver material from the trunnion now. This is a pretty slow going for me since my tiny lathe/mill combo doesn’t have coolant…so I’m having to take really small bites. Too slow and you work harden the material. Too fast and it heats up too quickly. After this I’ll clean up the old sheet metal receiver bits in the shroud and feed box. I’m about half way through.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Reading through this thread when buying one of these kits what else would you suggest getting besides the barrel? I assume when you have one of the smiths work on it they have blank receivers to redo it?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#16]
Assuming all your parts are good, at minimum you’ll need a G3 rear sight weldment, barrel, belts, a receiver, and receiver reinforcing rails. Likely you’ll need plus size rollers too.  A safe bet would be to buy the RCM barrel, trunnion, and bolt head.  I’m going to see what my bolt gap is with this bolt and trunnion and see if rollers will be an acceptable solution or if I should wait for the RCM trunnions to come out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Dont forget you'll need a semi auto FCG unless you're making a postie.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:34:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#18]
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:
Dont forget you'll need a semi auto FCG unless you're making a postie.
View Quote

You can convert the FCG that comes with it if you want to do the work.  This is always an option too….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:08:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#19]
Assuming all your parts are good, at minimum you’ll need a G3 rear sight weldment, barrel, belts, a receiver, and receiver reinforcing rails. Likely you’ll need plus size rollers too.  A safe bet would be to buy the RCM barrel, trunnion, and bolt head.  I’m going to see what my bolt gap is with this bolt and trunnion and see if rollers will be an acceptable solution or if I should wait for the RCM trunnions to come out.
View Quote

If you can get your hands on a new barrel, bolt and locking peice, you can test bolt gap with the trunnion and if it's not good.....you pretty much know it's the trunion, as the other factors are taken out of the equation.  On most of these kits I bet the bolt and or locking pieces are close to end of life.  The trunnions, have a much better chance to be good to go.  I  know I would rather find a good used trunnion from one of these kits vs using a US made trunnion, ymmv

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:11:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#20]

You can convert the FCG that comes with it if you want to do the work.  This is always an option too….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_1760_png-3235601.JPG
View Quote

Be careful with what trigger pack you go with, make sure able to modify for enough room for the ejector lever.  No idea on the franklen, but originally I was going to use one of the US made ambi packs from HK parts, but the way it's made, there was no way to modify for the ejector lever because the pack is a 2 piece aluminum housing, and just the way it clamshelled together if I would have removed the material it would have compromised the housing to much.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#21]
No binary or FRT for me in this current state. I’m out of here in a few years. Until then, I’m just using an HK semi pack inside a C/P lower.  Once I have my SOT I’ll convert the original pack to work with the shelf like a registered sear pack is done. Once the SOT is relinquished I’ll destroy that pack. Thats what will work for me, but in another state it may be worth trying to get the binary working.

Two questions…is the 21E ejector lever the same as these original 21’s?  If not, where can we find replacements?  Also, where can we find new recoil springs?  I know they’re stiffer than the 21E spring, and heavier duty than a G3 spring. Anyone make these or is there new old stock out there?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Trunnion done!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
No binary or FRT for me in this current state. I’m out of here in a few years. Until then, I’m just using an HK semi pack inside a C/P lower.  Once I have my SOT I’ll convert the original pack to work with the shelf like a registered sear pack is done. Once the SOT is relinquished I’ll destroy that pack. Thats what will work for me, but in another state it may be worth trying to get the binary working.

Two questions…is the 21E ejector lever the same as these original 21’s?  If not, where can we find replacements?  Also, where can we find new recoil springs?  I know they’re stiffer than the 21E spring, and heavier duty than a G3 spring. Anyone make these or is there new old stock out there?
View Quote

The 21e ejector lever is different.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 12:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#24]

If you can get your hands on a new barrel, bolt and locking peice, you can test bolt gap with the trunnion and if it's not good.....you pretty much know it's the trunion, as the other factors are taken out of the equation.  On most of these kits I bet the bolt and or locking pieces are close to end of life.  The trunnions, have a much better chance to be good to go.  I  know I would rather find a good used trunnion from one of these kits vs using a US made trunnion, ymmv

View Quote

Mike Otte told me the trunion is a nearly forever piece, that it’s the bolt and locking piece that typically wear out.

I have a couple 11a1 kits. I measured one of my shroud/trunion with a new BPP barrel installed, 11a1 bolt group, 11a1 locking piece. It measured 0.20 mm.

I swapped a new #9 locking piece in and used the 11a1 bolt head. 0.25 mm fit with room to spare and 0.3 mm barely did not fit.

I swapped the bolt head for a new 21E with -2 rollers, new #9 locking piece and 0.4 mm fit with room to spare, 0.45 mm just barely did not fit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Mike Otte told me the trunion is a nearly forever piece, that it’s the bolt and locking piece that typically wear out.

I have a couple 11a1 kits. I measured one of my shroud/trunion with a new BPP barrel installed, 11a1 bolt group, 11a1 locking piece. It measured 0.20 mm.

I swapped a new #9 locking piece in and used the 11a1 bolt head. 0.25 mm fit with room to spare and 0.3 mm barely did not fit.

I swapped the bolt head for a new 21E with -2 rollers, new #9 locking piece and 0.4 mm fit with room to spare, 0.45 mm just barely did not fit.
View Quote

Do these use a standard G3 locking piece?
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 10:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#26]

Do these use a standard G3 locking piece?
View Quote

No.  The back part on the LP that goes into the carrier is thinner on the 21 locking peice, a G3 won't fit in the carrier.

The FMP 21s, and these kits, came with a 50 degree locking pieces.

Most will recommend going to the 40 or 36 degree 21e locking pieces....but I haven't been able to fully assemble and lock the bolt into the carrier using them.  I have tried RCM and factor German HK 40 and 36 degree LPs.  My bolts and carriers are HK marked, not FMP.  I just can't twist the bolt to lock it in place in the carrier,  its a solid stop and it won't go.  The LPs that came with the kits however all work fine.  I have had the carriers apart and back together many times, so I know how it's done.

Trying to figure it out, I then tried fitting them with just the LP, bolt and carrier (no firing pin or spring)...and they fit fine.  Ok, added the firing pin, and again they fit fine..but as soon as I add the firing pin spring, they won't go.  They pop down only the carrier, but they won't twist to lock on.  My mind is not grasping how adding that spring would stop me from locking it into place. And it's not just there is more tension, it flat out won't lock...it hits a wall, it won't go.

EDIT:

figured it out - you have to slightly compress the rollers to get the new locking piece to push in just that little bit further to let it turn.  For whatever reason the ones that cam with the kit i dont need to do that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#27]

No.  The back part on the LP that goes into the carrier is thinner on the 21 locking peice, a G3 won't fit in the carrier.

Most will recommend going to the 40 or 36 degree 21e locking pieces....but I haven't been able to fully assemble and lock the bolt into the carrier using them.  I have tried RCM and factor German HK 40 and 36 degree LPs.  My bolts and carriers are HK marked, not FMP.  I just can't twist the bolt to lock it in place in the carrier,  its a solid stop and it won't go.  The LPs that came with the kits however all work fine.  I have had the carriers apart and back together many times, so I know how it's done.

Trying to figure it out, I then tried fitting them with just the LP, bolt and carrier (no firing pin or spring)...and they fit fine.  Ok, added the firing pin, and again they fit fine..but as soon as I add the firing pin spring, they won't go.  They pop down only the carrier, but they won't twist to lock on.  My mind is not grasping how adding that spring would stop me from locking it into place. And it's not just there is more tension, it flat out won't lock...it hits a wall, it won't go.  I did it enough to where I can see where it appears to be binding on the non kit LPs...then j compared that area to the same area kit LPs, and they have what seams like a slightly different contour in the area...would prob be easy to make them work removing the smallest amount of material....but I'm not to the point where I need to worry about that yet.

If anyone else tires a 36 or 40 degree please report your experience if they fit.
View Quote

Appreciate the schooling. That adds some complexity to the situation. Right now I’d like to replace the locking piece, rollers, and recoil spring at a minimum. The LP and recoil spring will prove challenging since everything out there is 21E related. The LP issue just adds to that challenge.

Side note, someone on HK Pro mentioned of their 7 kits, two stocks had regular G3 buffers in them. So if you have a kit…it might be worth checking, not that there’s much we can do about it. The MSG90 buffer is probably closest to these early HK21 buffers, although I’m sure there are some differences. My buffer is correct, but I found another problem. The recoil rod must have came loose at some point and somebody tried the bandaid fix of welding it. At some point the weld failed…so if APEX can’t replace it I’ll have to try rewelding it.

Question, are the HK-21E stock recoil rod lengths the same as these?  I’d consider buying a MM21 clubfoot stock, swapping this buffer into that stock, and swapping recoil springs (from what I understand these have more stout recoil springs than the 21E recoil springs. Any chance anyone knows if this would work? According to HKParts the MM21 Clubfoot stock will work with any length buffer tube.

Broken weld:
Attachment Attached File

Original 21 buffer in these things (what it should look like…not the shorter G3 buffer):
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Be careful with what trigger pack you go with, make sure able to modify for enough room for the ejector lever.  No idea on the franklen, but originally I was going to use one of the US made ambi packs from HK parts, but the way it's made, there was no way to modify for the ejector lever because the pack is a 2 piece aluminum housing, and just the way it clamshelled together if I would have removed the material it would have compromised the housing to much.
View Quote

My plan was a semi auto HK91 trigger box. I’m sure it will need modified in some way for the ejector lever but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. The HKP “US Made” one has some US made compliance parts in it but it’s $100 cheaper than the German HK-91 box.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:34:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#29]

My plan was a semi auto HK91 trigger box. I’m sure it will need modified in some way for the ejector lever but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. The HKP “US Made” one has some US made compliance parts in it but it’s $100 cheaper than the German HK-91 box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s an easy mod to cut the clearance for the ejector.

Appreciate the schooling. That adds some complexity to the situation. Right now I’d like to replace the locking piece, rollers, and recoil spring at a minimum. The LP and recoil spring will prove challenging since everything out there is 21E related. The LP issue just adds to that challenge.

Side note, someone on HK Pro mentioned of their 7 kits, two stocks had regular G3 buffers in them. So if you have a kit…it might be worth checking, not that there’s much we can do about it. The MSG90 buffer is probably closest to these early HK21 buffers, although I’m sure there are some differences. My buffer is correct, but I found another problem. The recoil rod must have came loose at some point and somebody tried the bandaid fix of welding it. At some point the weld failed…so if APEX can’t replace it I’ll have to try rewelding it.

Question, are the HK-21E stock recoil rod lengths the same as these?  I’d consider buying a MM21 clubfoot stock, swapping this buffer into that stock, and swapping recoil springs (from what I understand these have more stout recoil springs than the 21E recoil springs. Any chance anyone knows if this would work? According to HKParts the MM21 Clubfoot stock will work with any length buffer tube.

Broken weld:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_1810_jpeg-3237348.JPG

Original 21 buffer in these things (what it should look like…not the shorter G3 buffer):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_1811_jpeg-3237349.JPG

The E recoil rod is not attached to the stock and is shorter.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1053072119
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#30]

It’s an easy mod to cut the clearance for the ejector.

The E recoil rod is not attached to the stock and is shorter.

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1053072119

View Quote

Is the early HK21 rod the same diameter as a G3 rod?  I don’t have my 91’s anymore so I don’t have anything to compare it to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#31]
odd double tap…
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:08:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#32]

Is the early HK21 rod the same diameter as a G3 rod?  I don’t have my 91’s anymore so I don’t have anything to compare it to.
View Quote

Not sure. I’ll have to wait until I have my kit and compare it to my E recoil assemblies and 91. The E is wider diameter than the 91.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:46:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#33]
Curious about some having a G3 heavy buffer....in my comparisons the G3 heavy buffer protrudes into the receiver the same amount or further then a 21e buffer....and to use a 21 e buffer you have to relocate the cocking handle slot or you won't be able to get the charging handle all the way back to the slot because the carrier is hitting the buffer in the receiver.....so not sure how a G3 heavy buffer would be any different.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:52:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jntmjt1] [#34]

View Quote

The HK21's rod is larger in diameter than the G3 rod (.312" vs .350").  If it came down to it, it would be easy enough to make a HK21 rod.

JT
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jntmjt1:

The HK21's rod is larger in diameter than the G3 rod (.312" vs .350").  If it came down to it, it would be easy enough to make a HK21 rod.

JT
View Quote

Good info!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#36]
Just realised, my kit does not have the double wound recoil spring like everyone else has. I wonder if my stock is a G3 stock? This also means my buffer might be wrong?

Edit: this is what Centerfire Systems said:

Attachment Attached File

On that note, does anyone know all of the differences between an HK21 and an HK21A1? How do you identify each part?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#37]
Well I have went full circle and changed my mind a few times...

Just got back from UPS; my kit, new FMP barrel, new 21e buffer and other parts are on the way to Michaels Machines to be built on a German receiver.  I also picked up a drum hanger...so all I need now is a feedbox adapter and feedbox, which I have a buddy who is going to do a run of both of those items.
So for now, my job is done...the wait begins.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I have went full circle and changed my mind a few times...

Just got back from UPS; my kit, new FMP barrel, new 21e buffer and other parts are on the way to Michaels Machines to be built on a German receiver.  I also picked up a drum hanger...so all I need now is a feedbox adapter and feedbox, which I have a buddy who is going to do a run of both of those items.
So for now, my job is done...the wait begins.
View Quote

Did you ask him if he has any adapters and belt boxes?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#39]
After further investigation, I think all of these kits are HK21's and none of them are HK21A1's. The biggest giveaway is that the HK21A1 comes with the "clubfoot" shaped stock, as opposed to the G3 stock. As far as I can tell, everyone has been receiving G3 stocks in their kits, so I think these are all HK21's.

As for the recoil spring, I found a post on HK forums that said the double wound spring is an HK part, and the single wound spring is an FMP part. So maybe if your kit has a double wound spring, it means that the spring was replaced at some point. Just guessing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't think they even had those in their inventory but I am not an expert on the Portuguese rifles. I read a write up on them at some point but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

I ended up with one of the nicer looking kits but it has what really looks to me to be a plain old G3 buffer. Scars on it would indicate whatever buffer it is, it sucks. The bolt head and locking piece are new looking so I don't think this one was just wore out.

The second feed mechanism has the rolled over piece of metal on the bottom plate busted off. Otherwise the thing looks almost new. I'm not sure if I should bother to ask them about replacing either of the items. It would appear the Portuguese replaced quite a few of the buffers with G3 buffers for some reason because others are reporting the same thing. I don't think they would have put the G3 buffers in any of these things, even early FMPs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#41]
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:
After further investigation, I think all of these kits are HK21's and none of them are HK21A1's. The biggest giveaway is that the HK21A1 comes with the "clubfoot" shaped stock, as opposed to the G3 stock. As far as I can tell, everyone has been receiving G3 stocks in their kits, so I think these are all HK21's.

As for the recoil spring, I found a post on HK forums that said the double wound spring is an HK part, and the single wound spring is an FMP part. So maybe if your kit has a double wound spring, it means that the spring was replaced at some point. Just guessing.
View Quote

These recent kits are definitely not 21A1. The 21A1 used a swing down feed mech. It can accept 21e and 23e feed mechs.  The 21A1 feed mech pulls the belt only on forward stroke, whereas the 21E pulls on rearward and forward stroke. The 21A1 mech lacks the cartridge guide of the 21E and 23E.

The 21a1 is essentially an E with shorter shroud, standard G3 scope mounting, and no forward assist. It uses no 21 parts and was the beginning departure from the standard 21 design. Some 21a1 had a 21 shroud, some had a 21 length but fully E shroud.

Here is a nice video that Ralph Sr did re: the 11a1 shroud/trunion.

HK11A1/HK21A1 DEMILL COMPATIBLE WITH HK21E/23E FEED MECHS & CARRIERS

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#42]

These recent kits are definitely not 21A1. The 21A1 used a swing down feed mech. It can accept 21e and 23e feed mechs.  The 21A1 feed mech pulls the belt only on forward stroke, whereas the 21E pulls on rearward and forward stroke. The 21A1 mech lacks the cartridge guide of the 21E and 23E.

The 21a1 is essentially an E with shorter shroud, standard G3 scope mounting, and no forward assist. It uses no 21 parts and was the beginning departure from the standard 21 design. Some 21a1 had a 21 shroud, some had a 21 length but fully E shroud.

Here is a nice video that Ralph Sr did re: the 11a1 shroud/trunion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhnCa8KUtE
View Quote

I love the knowledge some of you bring to the fight. Reminds me that while ARF has changed over the years, there are some great members on here still that are still true firearms enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Did you ask him if he has any adapters and belt boxes?
View Quote

I did not...but I might call back and ask.  Still dying to decide if I want to add a carry handle before I call and bother Mike again...I was not worried about staying factory correct before...but now I have all these FMP accessories, and knowing more history...i kinda want to keep the factory look and skip the carry handle.

If you hear that he has any, PM me and let me know
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Trying to figure it out, I then tried fitting them with just the LP, bolt and carrier (no firing pin or spring)...and they fit fine.  Ok, added the firing pin, and again they fit fine..but as soon as I add the firing pin spring, they won't go.  They pop down only the carrier, but they won't twist to lock on.  My mind is not grasping how adding that spring would stop me from locking it into place. And it's not just there is more tension, it flat out won't lock...it hits a wall, it won't go.

EDIT:

figured it out - you have to slightly compress the rollers to get the new locking piece to push in just that little bit further to let it turn.  For whatever reason the ones that cam with the kit i dont need to do that.
View Quote

Appreciate the tip and glad you got it figured out. I got a 50* LP but I’m going to look and see if I can find a 40* and 36* too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#45]

I did not...but I might call back and ask.  Still dying to decide if I want to add a carry handle before I call and bother Mike again...I was not worried about staying factory correct before...but now I have all these FMP accessories, and knowing more history...i kinda want to keep the factory look and skip the carry handle.

If you hear that he has any, PM me and let me know
View Quote

I say skip the carry handle. I am having him build me a 21E using an 11a1 shroud, German receiver, 21EM13 bolt group and feed mech, German weldments and a welded 1913 rail. The only reason I’m going with a carry handle on it is because the hinge is there on the shroud.

I will send him another shroud and 23e parts to build a 23e and think I’m going for a full length welded top rail, no iron sights, no carry handle. That second build will wait until I recover from the first build.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Motivational photo from this weekend.

A friend of mine:

Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Excellent!  Does anyone make a reproduction HK assault grip?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:05:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#48]

Excellent!  Does anyone make a reproduction HK assault grip?
View Quote

A member on HKPro does. He has aluminum and delrin models.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044010830
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#49]

A member on HKPro does. He has aluminum and delrin models.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044010830
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Sparkies love sparks....
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top